Avoiding Dlc Becasue It Will Likely Breaks My Mods.

13 replies to this topic

#1 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 08:50 AM

I play heavily modded (currently at 31 mods!), and literally spent two days downloading and testing mods (von Biomes is massive!) to see which ones will work together, and now that I finally got it all working the way I want, and it's as close to cannon "reality" as possible...Time for an update!!!

And I'm sitting here looking at the latest update thinking, "Do I really want to start over from scratch, again, and again?"

I don't know why it breaks the mods every time a new DLC comes out, and at this point I'm afraid to even download the latest "free" update, much less buy DLC4.

There has got to be a solution other than, "wait until the modders fix whatever got broken by the latest DLC, and hope the mods you enjoy get updated."

I know some of those 31 mods will not get updated, how do I know? I've been playing MW5 since the first day it was released, and I've been though the mod disaster too many times already.

I shouldn't have to essentially rebuild the game from scratch every few months.

So I look at what DLC5 offers, and for the loss of all that work- it's just not worth it. I'd love to support PGI and keep buying updates, but not if it's going to erase all the work I put into customizing every few months, over and over again.

I've got 11 custom mechs added via mods and I will probably lose all of them just to get a Crusader. Pilot AI? There are mods for that, if I felt like the AI wasn't working well.

FYI Revenant

So whats the solution? I'm not going to learn all the coding and redo all the mods myself. At least not any time soon, I have a real life and time constraints. I get to play infrequently enough as it is.

Is it really necessary and unavoidable to break all the mods for every update?

#2 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 11:57 PM

I cant speak to mods as I dont use them, but the Enemy Merc encounters are a fantastic addition and really add a lot to the game, and the expanded number of slots in your available Mech Garage is a nice to have

#3 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 07:01 PM

VonBiomes is probably the one mod I like the most, really is too bad that about 25% of the missions it spawns one or more enemies in the ground. It makes a lot of zones, especially the city and jungle ones massively better.

Yaml isn't bad, would be much better if it was split into a couple mods and just be a mechlab and add engines in my opinion but I get wrapping it up into one. Or if it had an option to keep/rework sized hardpoints because I actually find that limitation make the game better.

#4 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 473 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 05:08 PM

View PostBumbleBee, on 13 March 2023 - 11:57 PM, said:

I cant speak to mods as I dont use them, but the Enemy Merc encounters are a fantastic addition and really add a lot to the game, and the expanded number of slots in your available Mech Garage is a nice to have

Expanded mech garage is already in YAML.

There are AI mods available too.

The merc thing sounds fun.

Well, I was forced to reload MW5 on one of my computers because I had to install a new hard drive, so I'm about to find out if the free update tanked all my mods.

#5 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 10:37 PM

I have 37 Mods installed by now (Piratetech and Merctech not as they are in development) with YAML and Pilot Overhaul, Biomes, Hellfire and Brimstone etc. some even origin from the Vanilla Game and still run falwless like some Lore Armor Repair stuff.

Loading time has become a tad long but i was surprised how good my new RX6700XT plays the game in 4k (and i believe even some RT in the hangar?).

The Ryzen 5800X3D has dropped below 280 Euros so i tend to buy one at some time in the future i guess and then wait for another GPU-Upgrade until the successor of AM5 arrives.

Edited by Thorqemada, 18 April 2023 - 10:09 PM.

#6 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 10:12 PM

I guess i will disable the whole YAML stuff, there is so much "cheating" stuff in it i really dont want that.
I thought i had the ability to disable the whole crap in the options but they appear so much it is either not working or intended to work that way and it makes me feel cheap.

Even if i am not using the crap how can i assure i will not meet enemies that use it...

A shame as there are some good ideas in the mod.

PS: I found another option that is said to reduce cheating mechs and equipment so i give it a try...

Edited by Thorqemada, 19 April 2023 - 01:56 AM.

#7 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 04:21 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 18 April 2023 - 10:12 PM, said:

I guess i will disable the whole YAML stuff, there is so much "cheating" stuff in it i really dont want that.

I dropped down to vonBiomes and a few other small modes that were mostly just cosmetic with the overlays. Would have been nice if YAML was packaged as just the mechlab - or if PGI was smart enough to just enable an advanced/normal mechlab - for the more veteran players that wanted to tinker builds a bit more.

Accidentally deleted all my saves when I was trying to figure out how to get the new merc stuff on fresh starts (never did sort that out) so I'm about to tackle the campaign again and hopefully get out of the centurion as quickly as possible.

#8 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 03:31 AM

I try to get the Dragon asap (that from the Quest with an AC20) but then i play salvage only and can not buy Mechs.

It is like a bigger, badder, faster Centurion in this game and i like this kind of Mechs for its diversity of weapons that enable me to participate in any phase of the combat and find/exploit synergies and switch roles as needed.

I try to stick to Mediums and mobile Heavys as long as possible...that is where i get my fun the most Posted Image

Edited by Thorqemada, 02 May 2023 - 03:31 AM.

#9 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 09:02 AM

Yeah, updates and DLC breaking mods is a massive PITA for Mechwarrior 5.

After going through three complete rebuilds so far for this game, I have given up playing until the game reaches a "Completely done - no more patches, ever!" state of development.

The combination of the game itself so badly needing mods to not suck, and the developer's mod-breaking system of updates is just aberrant.

I will definitely keep that in mind if considering buying more titles from the same developer in the future. Posted Image

Edited by An6ryMan69, 02 May 2023 - 09:05 AM.

#10 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 10:29 AM

Any studio that is bought by an extern source will eventually cease to exist as it is either rebranded and restaffed or diessolved/sold in pieces.

A Brand is more than a name, it is the people and their knowledge/experience/passion that makes a Brand as long their is any significant manual labour/brain labour/human labour involved!

So even if some names still exist their are hollow shells of a glorious past with no substance left like so many many good german brands.
Boeing in america is the today prime example how to damage a brand having bought another company in dire straits and instead keeping their success philosophy changing it to the cheaper dire straits philosophy of the bought in company and now see the outcome - Boeing is left a shameful incompetent non-empathic laughing stock of a once good Brand!

The famous catchphrase has changed since to: I am not going if its a Boeing!

So sad from the company that developed the 747...

#11 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 04:34 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 02 May 2023 - 03:31 AM, said:

I try to stick to Mediums and mobile Heavys as long as possible...that is where i get my fun the most Posted Image

I like the 4SP the most, forget where the Hunches are on the map this time through. Only reasons I can see to move beyond medium/heavy zones for me is just to unlock the Nighstar for a ai and some better statted ai pilots - really didn't care for the walking simulator most of the end section of the campaign was.

Do like playing in more or less vanilla though with biome's just for the extra map flavors, really is a shame they didn't implement an advanced mechlab for players - should have been right in the base game not a mod.

#12 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 05:58 PM

Haven't found the 4SP on this run through yet, but the first hero that proc'd was the Grid Iron which is almost as gnarly. Going to suck when I pull a merc group and lose that guass before I can get some replacements.

#13 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 19 May 2023 - 09:50 PM

The most tonnage Mechs like are the Thunderbolt in both game and the Hero-Quest Dragon in MW5.

I liked the Marauder in MW1 but i am not fond of it in later games.

For some reason the Centurion has a huge appeal to me - i like diversity, searching and finding synergies in it and playing accordingly.

No ******* hidden static firing lines...i am a Mech-Pilot and not an Executioner!

#14 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 04:39 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 19 May 2023 - 09:50 PM, said:

The most tonnage Mechs like are the Thunderbolt in both game and the Hero-Quest Dragon in MW5.

I liked the Marauder in MW1 but i am not fond of it in later games.

For some reason the Centurion has a huge appeal to me - i like diversity, searching and finding synergies in it and playing accordingly.

No ******* hidden static firing lines...i am a Mech-Pilot and not an Executioner!

I never really cared for the centurions in any of the games I've played, other than it was funny early on in this game with the zombie cents winning with 2 ml.

Didn't mind the thunderbolts on the first play through, but I think I managed black knights first and about the time I had started stacking dhs to make disco builds more useful. About the time I hit the last quarter or so of the campaign I was pretty bummed that it turned into a walking simulator instead of having better options or even side story arcs for dropping in lighter lances - though I suspect if you were dropping with friends some of those later missions could be a fair amount of fun to challenge with a mixture, the ai is just too stupid to not hobble in face first into 3 lances of assault mechs in their legged rig.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users