2 replies to this topic

#1 Onigato69

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPocatello, ID

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:33 AM

Maybe it is just me, but every time I see the targeting computers I die a little inside. Can you even imagine a 14,000 lb computer. I know we are required to suspend a lot of belief in a science fiction world, but come on. The Rifleman was known to have the one of the most advanced targeting systems available to a mech and it fit in the head.

It would make more sense to attach a heat penalty to a larger computer over size and weight. Keep the slot requirement between 1 and 3 and have them constantly generate heat that scales to the size. Bigger targeting computer, mech will run hotter.

It would also be nice if they reduced the effective range of enemy ECM for the mech they are equipped on. Just some ideas.

#2 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 17 March 2023 - 10:05 PM

The Targeting Computer can be used to help aim all direct fire weapons, including most energy and ballistic weapons. This results in a -1 to-hit modifier for all eligible weapons that tie in, or the ability to aim for a location that is not the head with a +3 to-hit penalty. Clan Targeting Computers weigh one ton and occupy one critical slot for every five tons of equipment they control (rounded up), while a comparable Inner Sphere version weighs one ton and occupies one critical slot for every four tons it controls (also rounded up). Total Warfare updated the rules to specify that Pulse Lasers including Variable Speed Pulse Lasers and X-Pulse Lasers as well as multishot autocannon cannot aim their fire (but can still benefit from the modifier), unless the affected autocannon are fired in single shot mode. In addition, an LB-X autocannon only receives the benefits if it is firing solid rounds instead of cluster ammunition. The Targeting Computer costs 10,000 C-Bills per ton The Battletech Compendium, p. 129, 'Weapon and Equipment Price List'

#3 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 21 March 2023 - 07:48 AM

For MWO purposes, TT rules for TCs dont make a lot of sense, because all our shots are aimed and we dont roll to hit.

I think we wont get different mechanics for them at this point, so only value changes are worth suggesting. Id suggest the following:
  • Decrease beam range bonus from 4% to 2.5% on TC1, increase beam range increment from 1% to 2.5% (so TC7 is 17.5% range). This changes the current situation where a TC1 is the only TC worth taking on beam builds.
  • Apply the existing 5% per TC level velocity bonus to LBX ACs, RACs and all missile weapons, so that TCs are a potentially useful item on all builds, rather than being a 100% useless noob trap on LBX/Missile builds.

That should do, i think. It doesnt make them overpowered, but it does make taking one a consideration much more frequently, and makes taking a larger one on beam builds a consideration where its currently TC1 or nothing.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 21 March 2023 - 07:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users