Battle Reports, Achievements And Game Modes

4 replies to this topic

#1 Dedra Meero

• PipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

(( Before getting started, yes I am aware that many of these suggestions are things already in other games such as War Thunder, World of Tanks, Battlefield and many, many other games... however, that is no reason for them not be included in Mechwarrior Online ))

** Warning ** Somewhat long post. At least you were warned.

First off, as we all probably agree on this:

Remove the Ready button for solo/4man drops and leave it in for the 12 man company drops where it's actually useful and where rearranging the lances is sensible.

Also, this next item is a particular annoyance that I just have to bring up.

-----------------
Separate sensitivity settings for zoom modes.

When entering x3 or x4 (Adv. Zoom) there should be a different sensitivity slider.

Right now it's overly sensitive and anyone sniping will know it's tricky to adjust the sights on the proper modules of a target due to the crosshair being highly sensitive. However, if you tweak it down then you are too slow when back in Normal view mode (no zoom).

-----------------
More informative end-of-game / battle report.

The current battle report is very uninformative. it displays the absolute minimum of what you would expect, such as the C-Bill and XP gain as well as the kills and assists. Aside from the C-Bill and XP gain, the kills, assists and so forth is information you can see from the Tab menu anyways.

For a battle report after the battle I would expect to see more detailed information.

I don't want to just know how many enemies I killed or assisted on.

I want to know who did I kill
I want to know where did I hit them
I want to know how much did I hit each of them for
I want to know which modules did I destroy
I even want to know how much damage did I do to each individual component / module.

I also want to know...

Who shot me?
Where did they shoot me?
What did they shoot me with?
How much damage did they do to me?

Also, I want to see "fluff" details such as distance traveled, distance flown (jump jets), how many capture / resource points did I accumulate... and there's a reason for this (see below)

-----------------
Achievements for the different types of gameplay

In addition to an improved battle report I would really love to see the addition of ribbons or medals that reward your gameplay. I don't want these to simply be visual additions on the battle report.

Various things you do on the battlefield should reward you. The rewards would apply to anyone, regardless of mech, as long as you fulfill the criteria that triggers it. One example follows:

If you play a skirmisher / scout role you should be getting achievements such as:
  • Enemies spotted
  • Component damage / destruction
  • Capture / resource point accumulation
  • Heck, even distance travelled
Upon gaining an achievement, which would be triggered by a set amount (e.g. having destroyed 5 components on enemy mechs in one battle), you get a bonus amount of either C-Bills or XP. The achievement (ribbons, medals, whatever) is logged for your profile and visible through statistics screens.

Other achievements which would more typically be obtained by the larger mechs would be things such as saviour kills, taking X amount of damage, delivering X amount of damage and so forth.

Also, there should be mech specific achievements to be obtained. For example (taking from my head on the fly): Jenner Landrover ... obtained by running X amount of kilometres / miles in total with a Jenner (any variant). Other ideas might be Flying Spider, for being airborne (with jumpjets) for X amounts of minutes or hours in total with a Spider.

These mech-specific types of achievements and unlocks will really make the players who have their favourite mechs feel a bit of satisfaction from playing them. In the end you will have many different achievements for your mech type to the point that you will not just be known as a great pilot with a specific mech, but you have the statistics and the logs to back it up.

-----------------

Additional game modes and types.

Right now we only have one game mode: Kill all enemy mechs OR capture their base / resource nodes.

You can say what you want, but capturing their base, or capturing many "bases" is still the same. The latter one simply requires more running around.

I would like to see some other game modes introduced. Lets just be clear that I'm not a game developer, only a gamer. So I'll throw some suggestions out there which might be good or might be horrible.

How about a game type where you pre-select 3-4 mechs before drop. Once you are destroyed in one mech you can select one of your other pre-selected ones and drop in with that (in the same battle) and continue (if anyone played War Thunder they will know what I mean).

This way you will have battles that last 30 minutes instead of the current 10 minute (average) battles we have right now. Sure, having short duration drops is good, but having the option to drop into some longer duration drops would be even better.

Also, we can expand on the game modes if we have access to more than just one mech per battle.

Rather than capture points on timers, how about destroying objectives, such as destroying a bridge, a dropship or even a dropship manufacturing facility. One team defends, the other attacks the objective, and with new game type you can have attacks come in waves.

Or a game type where you pre-select 3-4 mechs before drop. Once you are destroyed in one mech you can select one of your other pre-selected ones and drop in with that (in the same battle) and continue (if anyone played War Thunder they will know what I mean).

-----------------

At the end of the day, I love the game but it does feel a bit "skinny". To flesh it out with nice battle reports as well as different types of gameplay rather than just different maps or different capture modes would go a long way in giving it great longevity.

Yes, I do know the Community Warfare thing is comming and I have high hopes for that. But would be nice to see some additions before that as well (and on that note, I love the new Crimson map).

Thanks for reading.

Sorry if it was long, but I did warn you...

#2 The Smoking Man

• PipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 73 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDa Yoop

Posted 19 March 2016 - 04:57 PM

"I also want to know...

Who shot me?
Where did they shoot me?
What did they shoot me with?
How much damage did they do to me?"

I would also really like this information, it sure would be nice to find out which brain-dead child did team damage to you if they are too spineless to admit they did it on purpose or mistake. Every small minded idiot out there seems to think the beginning of a match is where you test your weapons out, yet would be the same people who would complain if there were no testing grounds implemented.

How do we report someone if we don't know who did the team damage? Sometimes we're lucky enough to see it, and can proceed to melt his face off, but lately (spring break from school probably) little tards think it's funny to see their teams armor blast off.

#3 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:46 PM

You do realize this topic was posted on 03 October 2013?

As far as getting team shot, it sucks, and some people don't intentionally do it. But getting revenge on a being friendly-fired is just as bad. I won't say I have never done it, but it's not something that encourages good behavior.

It is prolly just as reportable too. Gettting both of the guys a time out in the corner.

But we all have our "moments"

Now as far as having more stats in the battle report, it may just be the resources required to develop such indepth reports. Though details would be a cool thing, I'd have to admit.

Edited by Omaha, 19 March 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#4 The Smoking Man

• PipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 73 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDa Yoop

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:17 AM

Yup. I saw the post date, and decided to add to it rather than start an identical new one. You saw the post didn't you? Mission accomplished... But as for the "resources" everyone says PGI is lacking, I don't buy it. If the system can register I blew off X amounts of components, and can identify that TK or Team damage has occurred, it obviously knows the difference between friendly and enemy fire. Attaching a name to that to be reported is not a far stretch from where we are currently. It obviously knows when Blue hits Red, and when Blue hits Blue, or Red, Red.

If it was a "once in a while" thing I would not have bothered making the post... It seems that there are surges, or an ebb and flow to the team damage occurring, but it makes it no less annoying when you have separate people doing this EVERY damn round. This is not a ***** session, it's a simple request for something that is already half-way in the game. They stiffened the penalty system for TK'ing and team damage in the last patch, great! However... when the person has waited the 10 sec, 5 min, 20 min, whatever the penalty is, they come right back in and start all over with it. Don't ask me why people are so vile to each other, they just are. Doesn't mean I have to sit down and take it.

Also, I reject the above reply insinuation that responding to violence with violence does nothing. We're playing a game that has the complete opposite story line. We're trying to kill the enemy in the game, when your own team does this to you or whoever, they have just become the enemy. I'll take the penalty along side the douche bag that started it. I'm certain that he will have more team damage in recent history than I will, so his penalty will be longer.

Even better... was the idea to elect not to play with X individual due to previous douchebaggery. The system already takes into account weight class, skill, etc... What's a check in a box saying "don't pair together" or "place on opposite team as X"?

#5 Dedra Meero

• PipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 10:42 AM

Even if this was posted literally 10 years ago there are still things on the "would like list" from this thread.

Anyways...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users