So Legendaries Are Mech Packs But You Pay To Grind?

BattleMechs Store General

31 replies to this topic

#1 TENTACLE BOSS

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 08:53 PM

It seems now that you pay the same amount for one mech as a lot of the standalone packs. But where this used to net you cockpit rewards and whatnot as soon as the content dropped, you now have to grind to unlock it.

The mechs themselves also appear to be fairly basic reskins and I'm not sure what they offer to someone with most of the base mechs.

Kind of seems like we'd just be paying for the inconvenience of having to grind for things with a single mech we used to unlock upfront. I don't really see the benefit of this to a paying player over the old system.

#2 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 08:57 PM

It's weird the pay money to play with a specific mech, then call it a grind to play with that mech.
Do you really need your mounted cockpit item right immediately?

#3 TENTACLE BOSS

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 09:43 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 22 March 2023 - 08:57 PM, said:

It's weird the pay money to play with a specific mech, then call it a grind to play with that mech.
Do you really need your mounted cockpit item right immediately?

Well it would be nice. Technically I don't even need this game, the point is its a downgrade in what you used to get for your money in hero mechpacks, and I can't see an upside. All the stuff in that battle pass is just what you got before with no added value. In addition, you can only earn those things by playing one mech to death. (albeit at your own pace)

I might want that mech and then pay for it, but two things you should consider: 1. Variety is nice and I enjoy the game more when I'm not restricted to a specific mech . 2. Time constraints around grind hurt value for those of us who can pay, but can't play all day every day.

Edited by TENTACLE BOSS, 22 March 2023 - 09:47 PM.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:02 PM

this replaces the event that usually comes with a mechpack release. so no more fomo when it comes to those events. otherwise these things have become new levels of hardpoint inflation.

#5 TENTACLE BOSS

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:36 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 March 2023 - 10:02 PM, said:

this replaces the event that usually comes with a mechpack release. so no more fomo when it comes to those events. otherwise these things have become new levels of hardpoint inflation.

If it replaced the event wouldn't there be more rewards?

#6 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 12:34 AM

Its a free game. You have access to 95% of the game content for free. If you don't like whats on offer ignore it and continue to play the game for free. It doesn't effect you in any way.

#7 TENTACLE BOSS

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 01:18 AM

View PostRondoe, on 23 March 2023 - 12:35 AM, said:

[redacted]

[redacted]

View PostLouis Brofist, on 23 March 2023 - 12:34 AM, said:

Its a free game. You have access to 95% of the game content for free. If you don't like whats on offer ignore it and continue to play the game for free. It doesn't effect you in any way.

Thanks for the advice, I still feel like asking questions about the offerings though as they represent the future of new content for the game. Also it's not a matter of whether its free or not, its a matter of if the offerings are worth the money.

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 03 April 2023 - 09:55 PM.
quote clean-up

#8 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 02:40 AM

View PostTENTACLE BOSS, on 23 March 2023 - 01:18 AM, said:

Also it's not a matter of whether its free or not, its a matter of if the offerings are worth the money.

That is true, but if the items on offer are not worth the money at least you can still enjoy the game.

#9 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 04:07 AM

The gains from the Battlepass are way higher than what you got for the old mechpacks. 14 days PT, 7M CBills, 100 GSP and 3k MC are nothing to scoff at. Plus Decals, Bolton, Cockpititems.

#10 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 04:45 AM

Well you don't have to grind all day, the battle pass will last until the game shut downs. Play a match with them here and there if they are mechs you enjoy playing when you do play.

#11 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 March 2023 - 04:46 AM

View PostTENTACLE BOSS, on 22 March 2023 - 08:53 PM, said:

It seems now that you pay the same amount for one mech as a lot of the standalone packs. But where this used to net you cockpit rewards and whatnot as soon as the content dropped, you now have to grind to unlock it.

The mechs themselves also appear to be fairly basic reskins and I'm not sure what they offer to someone with most of the base mechs.

Kind of seems like we'd just be paying for the inconvenience of having to grind for things with a single mech we used to unlock upfront. I don't really see the benefit of this to a paying player over the old system.

In theory you are some what accurate but a lot of players are starved for things to do and unlocks are something some of the customers do actually enjoy, I've been around a while so i remember the older designs.. This new design helps fund MWO...MWL??? and helps give players something to strive for.. May not be everyone cup of soykaf but i personally don't hate it.. its brought me back to play at least.

Edited by PocketYoda, 23 March 2023 - 04:47 AM.

#12 TENTACLE BOSS

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 10:03 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 23 March 2023 - 04:07 AM, said:

The gains from the Battlepass are way higher than what you got for the old mechpacks. 14 days PT, 7M CBills, 100 GSP and 3k MC are nothing to scoff at. Plus Decals, Bolton, Cockpititems.

If you compare the rewards from pre-order and the entry events to this offering, I feel like the only thing that's higher which you've listed is the amount of MC. Which while a consideration, still makes me wonder why warhorns and whatnot benefit from being gated.

View PostPocketYoda, on 23 March 2023 - 04:46 AM, said:

In theory you are some what accurate but a lot of players are starved for things to do and unlocks are something some of the customers do actually enjoy, I've been around a while so i remember the older designs.. This new design helps fund MWO...MWL??? and helps give players something to strive for.. May not be everyone cup of soykaf but i personally don't hate it.. its brought me back to play at least.

Then maybe it will work out if that's a trend. My view is its just a bit of a slap in the face compared to old offerings if we're talking about the same costs for more/less the same rewards, but now there is a layer of grind called "legends". It just seems like a bit of deceptive marketing if there isn't more on the table in return for now grinding things that used to be instant unlocks.

View PostRondoe, on 23 March 2023 - 05:07 AM, said:

[redacted]

[redacted]

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 03 April 2023 - 09:56 PM.
quote clean-up

#13 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 03:25 PM

Here's how I'm looking at it at the moment: It's the 30 day event for the mech, with no time limit. Not much more. Are those mechs worth 15, when you can pick up a silver for 5? Unique hardpoints in fat mechs is what they are. Hero mechs for 15 bucks. Take 'em or leave 'em, or wait and grab 'em on sale.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 04:55 PM

View PostTENTACLE BOSS, on 22 March 2023 - 11:36 PM, said:

If it replaced the event wouldn't there be more rewards?

there are quite a few rewards. theres 20 levels. lots of mc and gsp in there too.

#15 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 March 2023 - 06:02 PM

It's not a mechpack so much as just a Hero mech. It's fairly cheap compared to past offerings and may be immensely more affordable for some players in the Steam store with regional pricing.
To someone with lots of mechs, of course these aren't going to be as enticing. It's a new variant--nothing terribly special there. But with so many mechs already added to the game, there's not much room left for "something new."

#16 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 07:01 PM

having more mechpacks available in steam is a big improvement. family asks me what games i want for such and such occurrence, i just tell them to get me steam cards, and i can cash in crypto for them. definitely keep doing that.

#17 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 23 March 2023 - 09:20 PM

GRIND??? It’s 20k XP it took me literally 11 games. That’s not a grind. And these mechs are WAY more then just “reskins”

#18 TENTACLE BOSS

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:20 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 23 March 2023 - 09:20 PM, said:

And these mechs are WAY more then just “reskins”

I mean

#19 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 24 March 2023 - 04:00 AM

U just said 3000 MC, how much money does that cost?

#20 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 455 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:29 AM

I like the battle pass system they came up with, and actually playing your Legendary quite a bit to get all the goodies just makes sense to me. And I'm pretty sure you earn enough MC to buy a Hero medium mech to boot, so very cool.

I always felt the existing 30 day event system penalized anyone buying after the event was over, and discouraged consumers from buying older stuff. Not having a strict timeout on rewards should have always been the case.

The argument that it's $15 for a Legendary when you can buy a Platinum for for $5 does have merit. You better really want that specific variant for some reason. So far the quirks on the two original legendaries do not have me reaching for my credit card, personally.

Edited by An6ryMan69, 24 March 2023 - 09:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users