Its Year 3025+ The Age Of Fusion-Reactor, Laser, Ppc, Etc. But No Simple Rear-Mirror?!

14 replies to this topic

#1 Kai Allard-Liao and Deirdre Lear

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2023 - 01:53 AM

Posted Image

I would like to see whats going on behind me.

Today, many Cars have a Rear-Cam.

It would be great if one of the Screens in the Mech-Cockpit would show me a live-rear-view!

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 09 November 2023 - 02:44 AM

Many have expressed that wish over the years. Sadly, it's easier to realize in the real world than in the fake world (especially an old one like MWO).
As far as I understand it, the game engine would have to render everything it does now twice, leading to a sizeable impact on the client side. It would also need a considerable amount of engineering time. Engineering time that frankly we don't have and that does not lead to a monetary pay-off, hence we won't get any.

#3 Kai Allard-Liao and Deirdre Lear

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2023 - 04:13 AM

Posted Image

From the Year 2000...

And yes, grapic qualitiy is not UHD like todays Game. But Pentium 133Mhz CPU with 1MB S3-Trio Grapic-Card has been able to display it.

Similar, todays grapic is better than 23 years ago. But Hardware has grown further, too. So there's no point, to not realize rear mirrors in a actual game.

#4 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,237 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 09 November 2023 - 04:38 AM

View PostKai Allard-Liao and Deirdre Lear, on 09 November 2023 - 01:53 AM, said:

Posted Image

It would be great if one of the Screens in the Mech-Cockpit would show me a live-rear-view!
We have so many useless display screens in the cockpit one could be used for a limited rear view camera.... some mechs in tabletop even have rear facing weapons.... I say limited as in limited to just directly behind to save graphics power.

Today on the f-35 and maybe some other fighter jets we have the ability to have a virtual realty look through cockpit feature...

it's insane to think Battletech mechs don't have some way to see behind them. honestly some rear view camera should have been in the game since it's inception.

I think in lore it's said the neurohelmet view condesnses 360 view into 180 somehow.

Edited by KursedVixen, 09 November 2023 - 04:42 AM.

#5 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 09 November 2023 - 09:07 AM

And this is why I always take Seismic Sensors. They're useful... and on the few mechs that have +100 or +200 to their range, they're drop dead amazing.

#6 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,265 posts

Posted 09 November 2023 - 09:55 AM

View PostKai Allard-Liao and Deirdre Lear, on 09 November 2023 - 01:53 AM, said:

No Simple Rear-Mirror?!

Player have been asking for this feature for years.

No success.

And in the current situation, as Russ Bullock announced quite clearly two weeks ago, it is not going to happen.

#7 A Nephew of Kerensky

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 November 2023 - 07:00 PM

Rear-view cams are canonical too. Just look up the YLW.

#8 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 01:29 PM

Much better idea would ne to either make one of the useless cockpit monitors show a rear camera view point, or make it work like in MW4, where if you hold a specific button your screen changes to rear camera, and when you release it your vision point returns to frontal view.

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 12:26 PM

And all the terrible things that would do to peoples' frame rates, forcing them to render twice the stuff. CryEngine for the win.

#10 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 03:08 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 09 November 2023 - 09:07 AM, said:

And this is why I always take Seismic Sensors. They're useful... and on the few mechs that have +100 or +200 to their range, they're drop dead amazing.
it's a shame thier not added when you put a Beagle or active probe in as in lore they come with seismic sensors.. it would make the probe sooo much more useful... i dunno how it'd work with the light probe but the other two just adding a basic 100 range seismic would be nice.

Edited by KursedVixen, 14 November 2023 - 03:09 PM.

#11 Av4tar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 195 posts
  • LocationOcean 12

Posted 16 November 2023 - 03:32 AM

I can remember in MW4+Mercs we have a button for backward camview. Iam still missing it here.

#12 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 07:31 AM

View PostAv4tar, on 16 November 2023 - 03:32 AM, said:

I can remember in MW4+Mercs we have a button for backward camview. Iam still missing it here.

And to repeat...

And all the terrible things that would do to peoples' frame rates, forcing them to render twice the stuff. CryEngine for the win.

#13 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 09:04 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 16 November 2023 - 07:31 AM, said:

And to repeat...

Dual monitors, OH THE HUMANITY!!

Edited by KursedVixen, 16 November 2023 - 09:04 AM.

#14 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 08:32 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 16 November 2023 - 09:04 AM, said:

Dual monitors, OH THE HUMANITY!!

Not monitors, rendering. If you use two monitors that display one view, the game doesn't do any more work. But if you have to render two views, your game graphics do twice the work. CryEngine is not that efficient, so this would result in more than twice the load on graphics, resulting in far, far more people having potato computers. (And its not even that efficient on the latest hardware.)

#15 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,727 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 November 2023 - 02:17 PM

View Postmartian, on 09 November 2023 - 09:55 AM, said:

Player have been asking for this feature for years.

No success.

And in the current situation, as Russ Bullock announced quite clearly two weeks ago, it is not going to happen.

Even though it won't happen, the only way I could see it being done would be an an alternate view, same as if you were spin your mech around, but not as a constant view. We already have Freelook, that could be tagged or similar behavior to give a smaller window view to the more sides/rear/down/up. But that would require an engineer, and time/funds to research if they could make it happen or not. Buy a mechpack? Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 21 November 2023 - 02:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users