227 replies to this topic

#1 Enig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

There's a reason why this forum isn't a part of the Mechwarrior Online Unverse section of forums, and is instead in the Battletech Universe category.

When the clan's invade, they'll most likely be our PVE adversaries, but we won't be able to 'join' them per se.

EDIT: Go back to what you were doing people, Russ ruined my
fun and came out and admitted Clans will be playable.
-I love Russ <3

View PostRuss Bullock, on 30 July 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

I think we would need to be brain dead to not want to sell Mad Cats to players. We have design and balance issues to figure out but we will get it sorted so players can play as the clans

Edited by Enig, 30 July 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#2 Hador

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

An interesting logic you got there :rolleyes:

#3 Icebound

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostEnig, on 28 July 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

When the clan's invade, they'll most likely be our PVE adversaries, but we won't be able to 'join' them per se.

That's what I've been saying from the start.

#4 Enig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

I know right?!

#5 Eternal Dusk

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

Let's hope you are right.

#6 Enig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

View PostEternal Dusk, on 28 July 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

Where do you guys crawl out of? How can you not love the Clans? Everything they do is for the greater good.

#7 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

All conjecture and guessing on the part of the OP. PGI has yet to release any information in regards how the Clans will be handled.

Let's put the horse before the cart.

Cheers.

#8 DooM Tanker

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I have been curious what they're gonna do with the clans. Hopefully, if they do just make them a PvE enemy at first, at least give us some of the classic mechs.

I'd probably keep a mix of IS and clan mechs in my bay.

#9 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

They created this part of the forum to prevent the general discussion to be polluted with requests for the "Mad Cat".

#10 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

PGI said some time back they have no immediate plans for PvE content, so I think clans will be dev contolled for a week to a month at most then handed to us as factions. Think of the storm that would erupt if they denied us clans or our classic mechs like the Timber Wolf.

#11 Tvae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 203 posts
  • LocationPort Sunkissed

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

I certainly expect the clans to be playable eventually. However, in regards to the first encounters players have with them, I would not at all be surprised if they were not playable. I'm hoping the developers have some event where the devs (and maybe a select few players) are given access to clan technologies, then those piloting clan mechs are set against unsuspecting players still using IS mechs. Over time, more players will be given access I'm sure, but at first, it will be random chance that you'll be sent into battle against forces far outclassing you.

We'll have to wait and see, but whatever happens, I'm sure it will be awesome.

Edited by Tvae, 28 July 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#12 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

There's a reason why this forum isn't a part of the Mechwarrior Online Unverse section of forums, and is instead in the Battletech Universe category.

*yawn* fail troll is fail?

#13 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostEternal Dusk, on 28 July 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

I LOVE POST LIKE THIS!

seriously...no SERIOUSLY! Look at my signature for proof!

[/sarcasm]

#14 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

agreed, thats why they have all that stuff about @!#!^%* in the .xml files

#15 akaChrisHimself

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 292 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostHelmer, on 28 July 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

All conjecture and guessing on the part of the OP. PGI has yet to release any information in regards how the Clans will be handled.

Cheers.

I think most people want to call the horse a zebra and then beat it mercilessly.

#16 WardenWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

Interesting conjecture, but a blanket statement like 'we won't be able to join them' would require backup. I don't think that will be the case, and I have made good arguments for having the clans be a limited set of the playerbase rather than AI (it would take a *LOT* of work to implement a good AI that could beat players, as the clans should usually do).

#17 Ranek Blackstone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 28 July 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

PGI said some time back they have no immediate plans for PvE content, so I think clans will be dev contolled for a week to a month at most then handed to us as factions. Think of the storm that would erupt if they denied us clans or our classic mechs like the Timber Wolf.

Clan omnis later sold by some clans to factions in the IS for almost 3x the price of a similar tonnage battlemech, so it's not impossible to find them later in the IS. The Mad Cat mkII was built with sales to IS parties in mind from the get go in 3065.

AS to making clans playable factions, I hope they don't. We have 6 factions in game as it is, we don't need anymore splits to the player base.

#18 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationAbove the charred corpse of your 'Mech.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostHelmer, on 28 July 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

Cheers.

I believe this is false. If I remember correctly, the developers stated the Clans would be a playable faction in a podcast long ago.

As for all of the people wanting them to be PvE...

1st: Why do you want PvE in a game optimized and marketed for Multiplayer. Do you really want the devs to waste time and effort coding for AI? If you do not like Multiplayer, then MWO is not for you... emphasis on the ONLINE part of the name. I do not want to fight AI that is too dumb to realise when it is being flanked, or that basically cheats because AIs can aim-bot your CT on every shot if they so choose, such as the level 9 bots did in MW4: Mercs.

2nd: Why deny people who love the lore and story of the Clans access to their favorite factions? This is like making House Steiner an AI-only faction. Do you know how many people would lose their minds if that happened? I would estimate somewhere near half of this community consider themselves Clanners, for whatever reasons. Some of us like what our favorite Clan stands for, some like the lore, some love the 'Mechs, and some just plain do not like the Inner Sphere. I have absolutely no interest in any of the Great Houses, except for my desire to rend them to pieces.

I get that you Spheroids hate the Clans. Some of you are mad because "It ruined tabletop!" or due to the FRR being methodically reduced to a tiny little slice of almost nothing. If you hate us that much, then at least fight with competent warriors in our cockpits. I do not care if I have to fight a company with a single Star. I will still fight. So what if Clan 'Mechs are more powerful ton-for-ton compared to IS 'Mechs? You have the advantage of numbers. Team up. Use tactics. Because no, you should not expect to defeat a Clan 'Mech in a head-to-head battle. The people who try that are the ones who come here on the forums and whine about "OP Clan 'Mechs" and consistently troll the Clan section of the forum.

#19 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationAbove the charred corpse of your 'Mech.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostRanek Blackstone, on 28 July 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Clan omnis later sold by some clans to factions in the IS for almost 3x the price of a similar tonnage battlemech, so it's not impossible to find them later in the IS. The Mad Cat mkII was built with sales to IS parties in mind from the get go in 3065.

AS to making clans playable factions, I hope they don't. We have 6 factions in game as it is, we don't need anymore splits to the player base.

We had well over 100,000 registered on the forums before Closed Beta even launched. Millions more are going to play the game. Splitting the playerbase is not going to be an issue. And look at how many Mercenary Companies already exist, they are a faction of themselves with how many players have joined them.

Once again, I state that blocking access to the Clans will only alienate half the playerbase. In the BT universe, the only faction i care about to any extent is the Clans, particularly Clan Wolf. If the Clans came out as PvE content, I would not pay another cent into this game. And I believe a large number of people would take the same path.

#20 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

I kind of figured that would be the case, since there needs to be a way to aquire clan tech when it becomes available, and it most certainly will not be something that can be bought. It makes sense we'd pick it up the old fashioned way: captured in successful raids, or peiced together from combat salvage.

On the other hand, what are you basing this opinion on? Unless you are getting in-depth feeds from the mouths of the devs themselves, it's just conjecture.

Edited by Vanguard319, 28 July 2012 - 02:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users