ISN News Flash

31 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

Sun. Jan 8, 3049: Controversy erupts over the publication of “Ryan Vs. Hanse: The Skye Crises of 3034”, which paints First Prince Hanse Davion poorly.

#2 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

His heavy-handed use of the AFFS troops against civilians can't be ignored, nor can Ryan's diplomatic resolution to the crisis. Hanse may lead a Great House, but that should not make him immune to judgement. Writers within the Federated Commonwealth have the right to free speech, right? I mean, this isn't the Capellan Confederation.

And in case Ghost doesn't show up:
(Plus, this should be my area of expertise, character-wise)

The Rebellion of 3034
The Lyran Commonwealth was now joined with the Federated Suns in a new super-state called the Federated Commonwealth. Though massive and strengthened by their gains during the Fourth Succession War, they still faced potent opposition. Externally, these threats were Comstar and the resurgent Combine (under Gunji-no-Kanrei Theodore Kurita). Internally, the separatist movement in the Isle of Skye remained troublesome.

Duke Ryan Steiner, Duke of Porrima, cousin to Archon Katrina Steiner and the former protege of Aldo Lestrade, had taken control of the Free Skye movement, which had become better organized and increasingly powerful as more and more Lyran nobles opposed the alliance. When the Draconis Combine granted the Free Rasalhague Republic its independence, it was seen as a rallying cry to independence in the Federation of Skye. Major demonstrations were launched, officially against Ryan Steiner's orders. Later known as the "Skye Crisis" or "First Skye Rebellion", Prince Davion reacted harshly to the uprisings with major military force, often using AFFS troops. An estimated 200 civilians were killed during these clashes, as well as several soldiers. When Ryan Steiner stepped in and negotiated a successful settlement to a standoff between Davion soldiers and separatists on Skye, it won him tremendous political clout while embarrassing Hanse Davion at the same time.

While not on the same level as Operation Rosebud, meetings between Primus of ComStar Myndo Waterly and Ryan Steiner in this period culminated in an agreement whereby Steiner and the Free Skye movement received priority access to all HPG traffic in and out of the region, the movement would provide Waterly the justification for posting the Com Guards within the Lyran realm after an "unsanctioned" Free Skye attack against a ComStar facility in 3041. It was during this time that, seeking to further solidify his political position, Ryan Steiner married Morasha Kelswa, heir to the Tamar Pact.

With the formation of the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth, the Federation of Skye was militarily organized into the new Skye March, consisting of the Ryde and Wyatt Theaters.

Edited by Alistair Steiner, 08 January 2012 - 09:20 AM.

#3 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

Ryan's involvment was dubious in that whole affair and earned him an assassination from victor years later. i wouldnt be suprised to learn if Ryan had paid to have that book published.

#4 TKDelta

• Pip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

Suppressing free speech is a dangerous path to go down. On another note, any violation of the Ares Convention needs to be recorded and remembered. No-one wants to go back to those days...

#5 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 08 January 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

Ryan's involvment was dubious in that whole affair and earned him an assassination from victor years later. i wouldnt be suprised to learn if Ryan had paid to have that book published.

Nothing like government sanctioned assassination. How noble.

#6 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

Any book that reveals what sort of pompous ***** the Davions are, is a good book.

#7 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostDihm, on 08 January 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

Nothing like government sanctioned assassination. How noble.

We all know the Davions are always good and right in everything that they do. And if you disagree, they'll have you killed, with again is the right thing to do. /sarcasm off

#8 Kartr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

Was that said in character or out? Because I'm pretty sure VIctor didn't order an assassination. I was under the impression that is was Word of Blake trying to create more instability and chaos. Because as I recall Katherine Steiner-Davion was actually sleeping with the guy and genuinely cared about him (though I find it hard to believe that murderous b it c h could love anyone) and it goes against Victors nature and best interests to have Ryan assassinated.

If anyone has any OOC knowledge of what happened I'd be very interested in hearing it.

#9 Glorius

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationPesht, Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

Agree with (imagine that!) Stainers, Hans Davion always kill you with good and right reasons.

Kartr@ Michael A. Stackpole "Bred for War" will show you more details about Ryan Stainer assassination and Victor's role&orders.

#10 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

View PostGlorius, on 08 January 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

Agree with (imagine that!) Stainers, Hans Davion always kill you with good and right reasons.

Kartr@ Michael A. Stackpole "Bred for War" will show you more details about Ryan Stainer assassination and Victor's role&orders.

Did you just call us "stainers"?

#11 Radmo1

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Locationst.paul mn

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

I have never seen a group from Steiner kill for all the right reasons, Steiner is for Steiner .. he also has stabbed mercenaries in their backs after returning from their missions .. waiting to pick them off as they were returning to their drop ships .. with expanded ammunition and no armor plating on their Mech`s .. as I said before Steiner is for Steiner!

#12 Glorius

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationPesht, Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

Gattling Fenn@ *out of character* Yes. It's my kuritan accent. *in character*
Well technically Ryan is Sta... err... Steiner. He is the third or so in turn on a throne, I suppose.

#13 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostTailkin, on 08 January 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

Suppressing free speech is a dangerous path to go down. On another note, any violation of the Ares Convention needs to be recorded and remembered. No-one wants to go back to those days...

The Ares Convention was formally renounced when the First Succession Wars started, it's a dead document. It was idealistic, and adhered to only when it's rules didn't burden the affected parties evem before. It's litterally a joke. "Those days" describe the entire Succession Wars, though less so in the third and fourth.
http://www.sarna.net...res_Conventions

#14 Lina Thoren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

Can't comment. Reading. XD

(That, and Alistair's done an awesome job of defending the faith already. ^_^ )

#15 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

View PostKartr, on 08 January 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Was that said in character or out? Because I'm pretty sure VIctor didn't order an assassination. I was under the impression that is was Word of Blake trying to create more instability and chaos. Because as I recall Katherine Steiner-Davion was actually sleeping with the guy and genuinely cared about him (though I find it hard to believe that murderous b it c h could love anyone) and it goes against Victors nature and best interests to have Ryan assassinated.

If anyone has any OOC knowledge of what happened I'd be very interested in hearing it.

It was Victor, using the same assassin that killed his mother.

#16 Wulfbane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 181 posts
  • LocationNZ Auckland

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:19 AM

[color="#ffa504"]Thorn Hallis[/color]
It was Victor, using the same assassin that killed his mother.
Wrong
if you must know it was Katherine Steiner-Davion that kill the mother not victor. victor and katherine are sister and brother.

#17 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

View PostWulfbane, on 09 January 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

Wrong
if you must know it was Katherine Steiner-Davion that kill the mother not victor. victor and katherine are sister and brother.

Read again.

#18 Leonardo Monteiro

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationGalatea, Island of Skye

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:40 AM

Duke Steiner? Assassination? What are you talking about????? This concerns me.. perish the thought of anything wrong befalling our beloved Duke.

Anyway, I do not understand the controversy for two reasons: One, Duke Ryan is on the right side of History, and two.. are there enough people in the Federated Suns that know how to read and can make a "controversy"?

#19 DFDelta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:44 AM

View PostAlistair Steiner, on 08 January 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

We all know the Davions are always good and right in everything that they do. And if you disagree, they'll have you killed, with again is the right thing to do. /sarcasm off

Yeah, Davion has always been nortoriousely dishonorable, evil and two-faced. Unfortunaly they keep spouting patriotic bullshittery the whole time which earned them a lot of cannon fodder... mindless drones... followers (yeah now I got it right) anyways.

#20 FireNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

Well, at least SOME people see through the "Smoke Jaguars are the pure evil faction in BattleTech" propaganda/media bias. Nice to see that the spotlight on "evil deeds" is not just limited on the Jaguars like it usually is. ^_^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users