ISN News Flash

20 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

Tue. Jan 17, 3049: With Dalma Humphreys in power, protesters at the Martyr’s Wall on Andurien demand demolition of “Dark Tower”.

#2 Heronimus Bosch

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

Does anybody know anything about this "Dark Tower" ?

#3 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

I'm sure Ghost will give us something :)

#4 Dlardrageth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

Sounds like a shameless Stephen King plug. :)

#5 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

Just another fan-girl of Thomas Marik but she has some longevity cause she survives into that period of Battletech of which we do not speak (begins with a J and ends with a D boooooooo)

#6 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

All on this world belong to us! Or at least belonged. :)

P.S. Jihad? ;)

#7 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

View PostHeronimus Bosch, on 17 January 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

Does anybody know anything about this "Dark Tower" ?

There is a big red angry guy guarding it and you need a mute artist and a gun to get in.

#8 Lina Thoren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

Y'know, we really ought to invite these Andurien lads and ladies out for drinks one of these days. :)

#9 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 17 January 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

I'm sure Ghost will give us something :)

Thanks to the wonders of medical science and expensive anesthetics, my in-depth reporting coverage can take place today!

Today's coverage comes courtesy of the 35105 - Historical: Brush Wars handbook.

The "Dark Tower" mentioned by the Andurien natives in today's News Flash is officially known as the League Administration Facility (and in other venues as the Occupation Headquarters). Terrorist attacks and civil unrest following the end of the Andurien Secession Crisis eventually came to a head with the public executions of a dozen saboteurs in May 3040 at a site later known as Martyr's Wall. The infamous fortified compound was quickly constructed in consideration of those terrorist attacks. The distinctive dark coloration of the armored building lends itself well to the nickname of "Dark Tower."

#10 Heronimus Bosch

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

Thank you for the information Ghost. :)

#11 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

View PostGhost, on 17 January 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

The "Dark Tower" ...

Thanks, Ghost. Whew! For minute there thought we were going to be forced to watch a sequel to "The Dark Crystal". Okay, okay. May not be a bad thing.

Wait. What? There is a movie called "Dark Tower"? Oh, but it's got Jenny Aguttar. So how bad could it be? Middling, at best, eh.

#12 GearBoxClock

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

Hey now, the last book wasn't that bad.

Alright, maybe it was.

#13 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

According to unconfimed rumors the architectural inspiration for this kind of building came from late 20th/early 21st century embassies of an obscure nation-state called "United States of America". Contemporaries have been quoted to describe this particular architectural style as "Führerbunker meets Pentagon and then they procreated".

Of course the part about the origins of a well-tested and reliable FWL design might be nothing more than mere hostile propaganda... again... Certain rather... shady... powers in the IS have for a long time have shown a vested interest for the affairs of this region. Probably even being green with envy...

#14 GrimJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPottery Barn, $120 richer than my fellow Founders

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostMorashtak, on 17 January 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

Wait. What? There is a movie called "Dark Tower"? Oh, but it's got Jenny Aguttar. So how bad could it be? Middling, at best, eh.

Am suddenly reminded of the fantastic Jenny obsessed episode of "Coupling." Why else would anyone rent a copy of "Walkabout?" :)

#15 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 17 January 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

Just another fan-girl of Thomas Marik but she has some longevity cause she survives into that period of Battletech of which we do not speak (begins with a J and ends with a D boooooooo)

Speak for yourself, I LOVED the Jihad, it was finally some real warfare.

#16 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

View Postverybad, on 17 January 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

Speak for yourself, I LOVED the Jihad, it was finally some real warfare.

Oh yeah, I guess the Succession Wars and the Clan Invasion were rated as merely an "entertainment venture" for the Draconis Combine, no matter the millions of lives lost....

#17 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

I could barely stomach the FedCom Civil War and the Jihad was retconned in as a poor excuse for that craptastic product know as Dark Ages.

#18 Leonardo Monteiro

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationGalatea, Island of Skye

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:41 AM

View PostFyrwulf, on 17 January 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

I could barely stomach the FedCom Civil War and the Jihad was retconned in as a poor excuse for that craptastic product know as Dark Ages.

Yea, but you've got to be tolerant for the jihad, it always seems to me that someone wanted to "salvage" whatever was possible, and they kinda did it.. mostly..

yea, ban dark age

#19 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostDlardrageth, on 17 January 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

Oh yeah, I guess the Succession Wars and the Clan Invasion were rated as merely an "entertainment venture" for the Draconis Combine, no matter the millions of lives lost....

My previous statement had nothing to do with Draconis Combine roleplay, and likely wouldn't have been said if I were in that mode.

The 1st and 2nd Succession Wars were "total wars" All out warfare with everything available to you WMDs, Warships, etc. However they havn't been fully described in Battletech Supplements as of yet.

The 3rd Succession War reverted to a more "civilized", but less mobile war, less happened, it was more a series of inconclusive raids that led most nations to seeing that as normal..

The 4th was a relatively quick series of battles that led to immense gains by the FedCom, but a lot of that was through Fiat, and their enemies being portrayed as idiots.

The Clan invasion was a series of set piece battles as the idiots from beyond showed the inner sphere that even with 300 years of advancing technology, it was still possible to lose if you didn't fight as a team. Regardless, the Clans didn't fight together, and often fought each other, the entire invasion was pathetic given their advantages they SHOULD have taken Terra. They lost it through not knowing their own flaws and fixing them.

I like all out warfare, I didn't say you had to, and I'm aware that other's may not have liked aspects or the entirely of the Jihad. I did. That is all. I feel the detente between nations through using miniscule armies as they do (eg a lance defending an entire planet) is unrealistic. Total warfare is a nicer meal for me.

Thank you.

Edited by verybad, 18 January 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#20 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

I was merely making a "raised eyebrow statement" about your usage of the term "finally some real warfare". Maybe there's just the historian in me cringing a bit, but nvm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users