Will my laptop play it?

39 replies to this topic

#21 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

A good mid range (for gaming) desktop will cost you around $800/£700. That will play any game out at really good FPS asuming you set the settings accordingly, I.E you wont be able to run ALL games at max settings, but those that u cant will be among a short list. Like Crysis 3 for example.

For the same kind of peformance of a computer costing as above, on a laptop u would be spending 'close' to $2000/£1700. And thats mainly due to trying to find a laptop with a top of the line mobile CPU (3740Qm), or a desktop CPU (LGA2011 i7 3820) that also has a good GPU like a 670m, they aint cheap.

As pricing goes today you have the following price/performance levels for desktops.

All Gaming Level

Low: ~$600
Mid: $750-$1000
High: $ 1000-$1500
Enthusiast: $1500-$2500
Extreme: $2500+ (Usualy up to around $5000)

Typical Specs (GPU & CPU)
Low: Amd CPU + 7770/650 GPU
Mid: i5 Intel CPU + 7870/660ti GPU
High: i7 Intel CPU + 7970/680 GPU (or multiples of)
Enthusiast: i7 Extreme CPU + 7990/AresII/690/Single GTX Titan
Extreme: i7 Extreme CPU + Multiple GTX Titans

At Enthusiats and Extreme levels u will also likely have only SSD's, no mechanical drives, a Custom built water cooling system, etc. All which add alot to the price.

This is only a rough guidline btw, depending on who u ask and where u go these figures and specs will almost certainly differ.

Edited by ArmageddonKnight, 01 May 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#22 dangerzone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a F14-Tomcat

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

If you want an example of something top of the line, here is my laptop. I run it on max gfx settings on 720p mode and runs at 60fps.

CPU: i7 3rd gen. 2.4Ghz, Turbo, 3.4Ghz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660m (2GB GDDR5 VMem)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz (expandable to 16GB)
Screen: 1080p LED
Energy Star rated

The laptop you ask? Asus G75VW. (**** alienware. This laptop is cheaper than AlienPoo and has the same stuff and isn'r made by crap Dell)

Cost? $1,250
Add a blueray: $1,500 (model option)
Add in 120Hz 3D LED 1080p screen with TWO NIVIDA 3D Vision goggles: $2,150 (Includes a upgraded CPU, turbos at 3.5Ghz and also has 32GB of ram as well. *TOP MODEL*)

#23 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostArmageddonKnight, on 01 May 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

A good mid range (for gaming) desktop will cost you around $800/£700. That will play any game out at really good FPS asuming you set the settings accordingly, I.E you wont be able to run ALL games at max settings, but those that u cant will be among a short list. Like Crysis 3 for example.

For the same kind of peformance of a computer costing as above, on a laptop u would be spending 'close' to $2000/£1700. And thats mainly due to trying to find a laptop with a top of the line mobile CPU (3740Qm), or a desktop CPU (LGA2011 i7 3820) that also has a good GPU like a 670m, they aint cheap.

As pricing goes today you have the following price/performance levels for desktops.

All Gaming Level

Low: ~$600
Mid: $750-$1000
High: $ 1000-$1500
Enthusiast: $1500-$2500
Extreme: $2500+ (Usualy up to around $5000)

Typical Specs (GPU & CPU)
Low: Amd CPU + 7770/650 GPU
Mid: i5 Intel CPU + 7870/660ti GPU
High: i7 Intel CPU + 7970/680 GPU (or multiples of)
Enthusiast: i7 Extreme CPU + 7990/AresII/690/Single GTX Titan
Extreme: i7 Extreme CPU + Multiple GTX Titans

At Enthusiats and Extreme levels u will also likely have only SSD's, no mechanical drives, a Custom built water cooling system, etc. All which add alot to the price.

This is only a rough guidline btw, depending on who u ask and where u go these figures and specs will almost certainly differ.

No, I think that about covers it for desktops, and you're absolutely right about what it takes to get equivalent performance out of laptops. A high-end laptop, say, something for $1600+ with a 680M or 7970M, only has a GPU equal to the "mid range" desktop GPU (the 680M, for instance, is a savagely underclocked desktop 670). Laptops are also vastly less upgradeable, vastly less reliable, and powerful gaming laptops aren't even really laptops, more like portable desktops.

Now, that isn't to say that gaming on a laptop is bad, but it's not smart to have a laptop as the primary gaming machine.

As far as the OP, yeah $600 can definitely net a more-than-capable gaming machine, maybe not to play every game at 60fps on the highest settings (though you'd be surprised how few games really have high requirements), but enough to play any game at good framerates, and most games at good framerates and higher settings. Spending $1800 is not necessary.

Edited by Catamount, 01 May 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#24 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:13 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread but need some help getting my ASUS X54H to perform well on this game (which i love).

Specification from ASUS below:
http://www.asus.com/...#specifications
Note: it has 4GB of ram and cant be extended despite what the link sais.

My desktop has given up working properly so left with my laptop as cant really afford to replace the desktop atm. any handy hints to get my FPS up so it can play smoothly like my desktop did I'm not bothered by low graphics i just want it to run smoothly. I'm currently getting around 13-18 FPS max so brawling is a no no and there's only so much fire support i can do. I'm gonna try some of the Config files and maybe the game booster and probably drop to 16bit colour.

Oh i also use a laptop support with cooling fan and have tried intel extreme tuning facility to 'boost' the wattage to no perceptible gain?

Is this a lost cause?

#25 Talon Phalanx

Rookie

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMarietta. GA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:29 AM

As for will your lap top run it? I have never run MWO with anything other than my laptop. I agree with another poster who mentions the lack of a dedicated graphics card. My laptop is very robust and does a great job, however the heat it throws out is remarkable and I had to get a high end cooling tray so it did not cook. Other than that it works marvelously. This system is a Samsung, i7, with an Nvidia graphics card with 32 gigs of memory. Always been a marvelous ride. Good luck!!

#26 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:06 AM

View Postmad kat, on 28 August 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread but need some help getting my ASUS X54H to perform well on this game (which i love).

Specification from ASUS below:
http://www.asus.com/...#specifications
Note: it has 4GB of ram and cant be extended despite what the link sais.

My desktop has given up working properly so left with my laptop as cant really afford to replace the desktop atm. any handy hints to get my FPS up so it can play smoothly like my desktop did I'm not bothered by low graphics i just want it to run smoothly. I'm currently getting around 13-18 FPS max so brawling is a no no and there's only so much fire support i can do. I'm gonna try some of the Config files and maybe the game booster and probably drop to 16bit colour.

Oh i also use a laptop support with cooling fan and have tried intel extreme tuning facility to 'boost' the wattage to no perceptible gain?

Is this a lost cause?
Posted Image
if your trying to play MWO without a dedicated graphics card, yes, it's a lost cause

Edited by Barbaric Soul, 28 August 2013 - 05:08 AM.

#27 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:07 AM

View Postmad kat, on 28 August 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread but need some help getting my ASUS X54H to perform well on this game (which i love). Specification from ASUS below: http://www.asus.com/...#specifications Note: it has 4GB of ram and cant be extended despite what the link sais. My desktop has given up working properly so left with my laptop as cant really afford to replace the desktop atm. any handy hints to get my FPS up so it can play smoothly like my desktop did I'm not bothered by low graphics i just want it to run smoothly. I'm currently getting around 13-18 FPS max so brawling is a no no and there's only so much fire support i can do. I'm gonna try some of the Config files and maybe the game booster and probably drop to 16bit colour. Oh i also use a laptop support with cooling fan and have tried intel extreme tuning facility to 'boost' the wattage to no perceptible gain? Is this a lost cause?

sadly that laptop is really junk

you really need a laptop with at least quad core CPU and nVidia Geforce GT650M or AMD Mobility Radeon HD7670

#28 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. Thats what i feared. Will have to just drop my graphics as much as possible and see what happens and put up with it until i get the desktop fixed. Its a bit frustrating because hawken runs noticably smoother using the unreal engine. Or is that blasphemy here? (much prefer mwo)

#29 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

View Postmad kat, on 28 August 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice guys. Thats what i feared. Will have to just drop my graphics as much as possible and see what happens and put up with it until i get the desktop fixed. Its a bit frustrating because hawken runs noticably smoother using the unreal engine. Or is that blasphemy here? (much prefer mwo)

Play a missile boat so FPS won't matter as much. That's what I do on my laptop anyways.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 28 August 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#30 VikingN1nja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 607 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Try get an old asus g60j with an i7 might play it ok, whats your budget and location ill try send u a link to a build.
If you have a normal pc i can suggest upgrades to play it also a bit ofextra ram and a grapghics card is all you need in most cases.

#31 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:42 AM

yes this thread again.....

Looking to replace my ASUS X54H with something that has dedicated graphics and can handle this game Obv'

Not bothered if i have to run it on low graphics, i have a desktop for that and the Mrs can have the old laptop apres reinstall but i do want a good FPS. My budget is kinda low all things considered, got enough hobbies and bank account leeches. (No not kids).

http://www.acerdirec...001/version.asp

http://www.laptopsdi.../gaming-laptops

been looking here and some of the those AMD ones look alright for the price (seem cheaper than their Nvidia counterparts) but i need to keep it close to £400 as possible. somewhere in the Uk north west with a shop might be nice too.

Although would it bet better to get an acquaintance of mine to build one, cheaper?

Edited by mad kat, 22 July 2014 - 05:43 AM.

#32 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

That website has a remarkably, uh... broad... definition of gaming laptops :)

mad kat, you're going to have to raise that budget a bit, and frankly, you want to raise it a lot, or don't go laptops. I understand not wanting to spend too much, but thse days computers are much more long term investments and less two-year throwaway purchases, and the simple fact is you won't get something that physically plays MWO for less than 500 quid, and you won't likely get something that plays it remotely decently for less than 700-800. You want at least an Ivy Bridge or Haswell i5, and really you want an i7, and you want something at least equivalent to a GTX 760M or 8870M on AMD's side.

This would be an example of something decent: https://www.pcspecia...ks/cosmosII-17/

Give that the i7 4710QM, a single 4GB DDR3-1600 Sodimm (you'll have to buy another on your own), upgrade the hard disk to a 7200RPM drive like the 750GB one (because it costs practically nothing), and your total cost is 730 quid with VAT and delivery, probably like 745-750 after you buy yourself a second stick of RAM.

Unless someone knows of an amazing store that I'm not aware of, and I'm reasonably familiar with your market, you're not going to get substantially cheaper than that.

Gaming laptops that don't absolutely suck cost some money; that's just how it is.

If you're not prepared to spend that much, you're options are:

1.) Get a desktop

2.) Don't play MWO, or don't play it decently

#33 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

I've been playing on a Lenovo T430/530, and MWO is running great on it. I run all visuals on low, but I prefer most games like that anyways since I'm mostly a retro gamer.

Running Win 7 on 3rd gen Core i5, Intel 4000 integrated graphics, 8GB RAM. No problems at all whatsoever, smooth as a baby's bottom.

Edited by Tarogato, 22 July 2014 - 07:19 AM.

#34 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

Hmm i was afraid that was the answer. I wont be spending that much on a laptop, suppose i should of asked whats the best budget laptop with dedicated graphics. and i'll just have to suck it and see.

As i said the PC does the lions share of MWO but when i'm away or at the in-laws it would be good to have something that doesn't force me to play Lurm boat.

#35 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

Mad Kat, one option you could consider is getting a haswell i7 and using the HD5000. Mwo needs a quad core, plain and simple. Take care of that first and the absolute best integrated graphics might be enough to play smoothly on lowest. You old hd3000 would never have cut it but the 5000 is a lot beefier. If you could get an iris 5100 or 5200 that would be even better. I'll try to find something specific when I get home.

#36 AdultPuppetShow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 165 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSpace Texas

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

I run the game fairly well on my laptop.

APU: A8-4500M
GPU: Radeon HD 7670M
RAM: 4GB DDR3

20-30 FPS is the norm at the max resolution on medium settings in DX9, I'm sure it will be better once they implement crossfire/SLI support and optimize DX11.

I only paid $400 for this laptop so I can't complain.

#37 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:59 PM

View PostCatamount, on 22 July 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

Mad Kat, one option you could consider is getting a haswell i7 and using the HD5000. Mwo needs a quad core, plain and simple. Take care of that first and the absolute best integrated graphics might be enough to play smoothly on lowest. You old hd3000 would never have cut it but the 5000 is a lot beefier. If you could get an iris 5100 or 5200 that would be even better. I'll try to find something specific when I get home.

My desktop is running an i3 processor (although i forget what speed) but it is one of the latest ones, have to double check when i get home. And that does it just fine running on high with FPS somewhere around 45-55 iirc but it does have a rather good graphics card in it i'm told.

This looks like a pretty decent budget machine:

http://www.ebuyer.co...p-x550cc-xo071h

View PostAdultPuppetShow, on 22 July 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

I run the game fairly well on my laptop.

APU: A8-4500M
GPU: Radeon HD 7670M
RAM: 4GB DDR3

20-30 FPS is the norm at the max resolution on medium settings in DX9, I'm sure it will be better once they implement crossfire/SLI support and optimize DX11.

I only paid $400 for this laptop so I can't complain.

The AMD specc'd machine i was looking at last night while killing some spare time in Curry's (I know) did look better VFM and rather unusually i happened across a rather informative and knowledgeable staff member *hums twilight zone theme*

he steered me towards this after i discussed in length the requirements with him and suggested for a budget blaster it's worth considering:

http://www.currys.co...862441-pdt.html

Edited by mad kat, 23 July 2014 - 12:13 AM.

#38 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

The thing to keep in mind is that laptop hardware is vastly less powerful than desktop hardware. A desktop i3 is a bit below what I'd personally run MWO on, but it's hardly a bad CPU (and it's a more than decent gaming CPU in general), but that doesn't translate to a laptop i3 doing well. In fact, a laptop i7 in many cases is going to be no more or maybe even less powerful than a desktop i3, so that's why I say it's what you don't want to fall below to get decent fps.

That HP laptop is actually pretty damn good overall for the money, and should run most games decently, but keep in mind that MWO, in particular, will flounder on that CPU. It has only two modules, which means only two FPUs, and it's very low clocked, so basically it's a savagely neutered FX-4350 - as in it's literally about half a 4350- and the 4350 flounders in MWO, badly.

MWO is a funny game. With your budget, you're going to have to decide whether you want to be able to play it well, or be able to play other games well due to a better GPU and less CPU focus, because sadly you don't have the money for both... story of my life

#39 Whizbang AGNC

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

Running an Acer laptop with the Intel HD Graphics 3000, i5-2450 2GHz. I had to step the game video to low ad the only driver that would run it right s far was the Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver v. 8.901.4.0. I think it has to do with the newer the driver the less the configuration options they let you have. Found this with a lot of drivers and operating system options. Big Brother thinks he knows what is best for us and took away the ability to configure our own property.

Game runs good.

Running an Acer laptop with the Intel HD Graphics 3000, i5-2450 2GHz. I had to step the game video to low ad the only driver that would run it right s far was the Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver v. 8.901.4.0. I think it has to do with the newer the driver the less the configuration options they let you have. Found this with a lot of drivers and operating system options. Big Brother thinks he knows what is best for us and took away the ability to configure our own property.

Game runs good.

#40 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

I guess the concept of 'good' is very relative to what you know ... some people will consider 10 fps at 480p 'good', but others might not agree .... I've heard people say that wearing a tin foil hat, can improve the neural link ... so ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users