Your history as a Mechwarrior player.

129 replies to this topic

#41 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

Watching Robotech as a kid back in the early 80's is when it started for me.
Then played Mechwarrior 1 and loved it. Played it for months just fighting everything possible before realising there was a story to it lol.

1)Battletech Inception and the other one that was released that was similar.

2) Waited for Mechwarrior 2 to be released only having to wait 2 years longer than they said it would be released as another game was released (Star Siege?) and they had to go back to the drawing board.

3) Had a game store back in 1995 with networked machines for the public to pay and play on. Before Internet cafes exsisted. Matrox gave us a pre-release of their Matrox Mystique video card that came with a graphically upgraded version of Mech Warrior 2. That was awesome.

4) Then everything else in the series and addon packs including the Mech Commander series which i recently downloaded for free (because it is now :) and finished that a few days ago.

5)Mech Warrior Online ... To be Continued :ph34r:)

If you want to play Mech Commander 2 on Win 7 64bit, all you have to do is google it and download it from a official site which is easy to find. Then run it in compatability mode for WinXP SP3 and delete the Vidcard and Badcard files in the root of the install and it will run perfectly.

#42 SovietKoshka

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSomewhere betwixed the stars of the inner sphere and rim

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

whoa all your dudes are belong to old... I started with mechassult, learnd to love the catapult. got mechassult 2 a few years later, had the name MeachWarrior... sigh good times. so i hope i get to roll with some of you guys... i really love the depth of the battletech universe, sadly i still have yet to scratch the tip of the 45ton mech.

#43 Trireaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 147 posts
  • LocationDeep space...

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

ive barely scratched the tip of the 10ton mech...

#44 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

View PostSovietKoshka, on 24 January 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

whoa all your dudes are belong to old... I started with mechassult, learnd to love the catapult. got mechassult 2 a few years later, had the name MeachWarrior... sigh good times. so i hope i get to roll with some of you guys... i really love the depth of the battletech universe, sadly i still have yet to scratch the tip of the 45ton mech.

If you ran into a player named WerewolfX0 in Destruction that was me. I'd rock a Mad Dog variant and in MA1 I always took a loki.

#45 Graphite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

View PostRattlehead NZ, on 24 January 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

Watching Robotech as a kid back in the early 80's is when it started for me.
Then played Mechwarrior 1 and loved it. Played it for months just fighting everything possible before realising there was a story to it lol.

1)Battletech Inception and the other one that was released that was similar.

2) Waited for Mechwarrior 2 to be released only having to wait 2 years longer than they said it would be released as another game was released (Star Siege?) and they had to go back to the drawing board.

3) Had a game store back in 1995 with networked machines for the public to pay and play on. Before Internet cafes exsisted. Matrox gave us a pre-release of their Matrox Mystique video card that came with a graphically upgraded version of Mech Warrior 2. That was awesome.

4) Then everything else in the series and addon packs including the Mech Commander series which i recently downloaded for free (because it is now :) and finished that a few days ago.

5)Mech Warrior Online ... To be Continued :ph34r:)

If you want to play Mech Commander 2 on Win 7 64bit, all you have to do is google it and download it from a official site which is easy to find. Then run it in compatability mode for WinXP SP3 and delete the Vidcard and Badcard files in the root of the install and it will run perfectly.

No MW:LL? <_<

View PostSovietKoshka, on 24 January 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

Good to see MA is good for something: bringing new players into BT! Welcome to the real stuff!

Edited by Graphite, 24 January 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#46 Rand 3065MUX

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

Bought the first novel back when it was released ... then bought the board game. Played it a few times with friends, but really just collected the books because I liked the novels.

Then started playing in the MU* games in the 90s. 3065 Sims were the funnest ... played that primarily for years. The best adaptation of the board game to realtime is the MU* games in my opinion.

I'm hoping this game tries to do the same, and not just become another "Doom-clone" with mech skins.

#47 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

Played TT for a long time. Nowadays I play some MegaMek with friends so I don't have to bother with rules. lol

MW1 - I sucked at it.
MW2 + expansions - Loved every one of them. Especially GBL for the storyline and Mercs is still my favorite MW game.
MW3 - I really enjoyed but only used a few mechs (Whoo! Champion!!!). Most of it was too late of models for my tastes.
MW4 - played it for a minute on a friends computer, didn't get into it.
Mech Assault - I actually played quite a bit on my friends' Xboxes and had a good time.
MW 3050 for SNES - Was really bad at that one too. Something to do with heat management? lol I was no good at Exitebike as a kid either for the same reason. :/

As far as online I wasn't impressed with MW2. I had a friend who was in a clan online and seeing every game being a lag-shooting, jumpjet-fluttering, circle of death with tutus of LRMs circling every mech as they try to out medium pulse laser each other destroyed the feel of the game to me.
EDIT: Watching people try to drive their Madcats' big toes into each others' cockpits was pretty hilarious though.
I had more fun in Mechwarrior 3 on my local area network with friends, but when the games became too many med-pulse fights again I gave a Bushwacker the Hunchback IIC treatment and the fights became really cheap cheese-fests after that. >.<

Edited by Kasiagora, 24 January 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#48 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

Played MW2. Single Player...Not online
Skipped MW3
Started playing MW4 in 2000....stopped in 2009 X |
--Played in UTS and NBT leagues
Played MWLL off and on for the last few years

Edited by =Outlaw=, 24 January 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#49 Tifalia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoardwalk, Capellan Confederation

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

What got me started was picking up (by chance) a copy of the Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy by Robert Thurston 20 something years ago and have been a fan of the book series (I will NEVER call it 'classic BattleTech'! - to me, I will only ever think of it as BattleTech) and moved on to the games from there to the point where here I am today.

#50 Hinterlight

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

I started playing Mechwarrior fairly recently with Mektek's free release of Mechwarrior 4. I know it isn't considered the best entry in the series but my god did it get me hooked. Been obsessed Battletech in general ever since, only thing that may trump it is my love of 40K.

Edited by Hinterlight, 24 January 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#51 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

It's this kind of long-term dedication of the players that makes me think this game, on it's year to year progression that was mentioned in the FAQ, could easily see 3055. Probably 3058-3060 with a continuous online community and support even if a sequel is released a few years down the road. Unlike most online console games right now where within a month of the newest version coming out, the previous edition's servers have almost all dried up. I just hope MWO never sees a Dark Age. lol

#52 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

Started with MW2 in 96 and haven't looked back. Since then I've played all the MW games and also love the tabletop game.

Started playing mw2 online in late 97. I remember my first game still. It was that desert map with the super tall plateaus and bridges connecting them all at the top(MW2 had some real cool maps :)) I was in a nova with no idea how to lag shoot and got creamed! I joined the clan I remain a part of today on that day also, and we have played in a bunch of planetery/resource leagues since.

Oh, I also played mpbt:3025.

#53 Canned_Dman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

Crescent Hawks Inception (battletech) on my XT.
MW 1 on my 386 loaded into a ram drive to speed it up!
Also tt and still have my stuff.

#54 Nairdowell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 193 posts
  • LocationDeep in my hidden lab, atop a mountain, somewhere in the backwoods of Tennessee, USA

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

BattleTech - First comp version, + Table Top
MW1 - single player.
MW 3050 - SNES
MW2: - single player
MW3: Online, ran in too many hacks/cheats to enjoy it
Dave & Busters - Huge complex of gaming, arcade, dining, etc - had BT simulators, had a blast, but expensive
MW4 - single player
MechCommander 1 & 2 - enjoyed comp version, again ran into too many hacks/cheats online

#55 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:20 AM

I first SAW Mechwarrior, but my mate wouldn't lend me the cd, cause he needed it. He did however give me the floppies for Crescent Hawks Inception and later, Revenge. I've faithfully copied the game files for Inception onto every pc I've owned. After the floppy days only one save slot still works, and I still play it at least once a year. With the right stock options and some non-original save/load techniques you could completely kit out those mechs you picked up along the way(Speed Shop ftw!). It always cracked me up that if you play your cards right you end up with the Chameleon which is twice or more the tonnage of any other mech you may encounter. Probably the last time machine guns could provide an advantage.

Revenge was way too hard. Just sayin'. You either got insanely lucky with your hits or got pwnt. I've still never finished it.

Mechwarrior 2 came next, but Mercenaries was where it was at. This franchise would mean nothing special to me if not for that game. It gave that feeling that there was a bigger universe out there, even if you were only a small part of it. Whatever, it rocked. The customization was absolute, and it cost you a few pennies, sometimes more than an entire mech. Win.

Somewhere over the next decade and a half I've played MW3 and 4, have the disks for 4:Mercs and the mektek installation. I've never played any Mechwarrior online, and it wasn't until recently I've heard of this MPBT(?) 3025 - always had a retarded internet connection until adsl came around.

Only late last year I found out that my stepbrother is a massive old fan of the novels, and he had no idea that there were pc games. I was stunned, yet was able to inform him of the probable existence of this game. Once this thing comes out we'll have at least one more hardcore player.

Since then I've read some novels, which I didn't know existed previously. All of this only makes me more excited/critical about this release.

BRING IT!

Edited by Artifice, 25 January 2012 - 05:28 AM.

#56 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 20 January 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

I think the better question is
"Is there any mech game I haven't played?"

How about Mechwarrior on the X68000? :)

#57 Wolf Hreda

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 196 posts
  • LocationHesperia, CA

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:53 AM

Like many, I first cut my teeth on MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat. Single player only. My first online experience in the MW universe was MW4: Mercs. Recently I started playing MW:LL. While only a mod, it is so impressive. Simply biding my time until MWO comes out.

#58 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostHinterlight, on 24 January 2012 - 10:31 PM, said:

I started playing Mechwarrior fairly recently with Mektek's free release of Mechwarrior 4. I know it isn't considered the best entry in the series but my god did it get me hooked. Been obsessed Battletech in general ever since, only thing that may trump it is my love of 40K.

For all the faults diehard BT fanboys lay on MW4, it had (still has) the best online competitive scene of any mechwarrior game to date. Keep playing, get good and you'll kick *** in MWO come launch. I would play it right now if I wasn't completely burnt out on all things MW4.

#59 ArcSolidus

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationWhere the Assassins can't reach.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

Way back in the day my brother bought me an old Sega Genesis game called 'Battletech'. Loved it, played the hell out of it, even managed to beat it once. Years later my family finally managed to scrape up the funding for a computer I immediately wanted a game for it. Then I saw 'Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance' and thought 'This reminds me an awful lot of that old Genesis game I used to play'.

As it turns out, there was a good reason for that.

Joined up with a unit. Made some friends, made some enemies, had some E-drama, and even took part in the competitive scene for a little bit. Good times.

#60 Arbalister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

View PostArtifice, on 25 January 2012 - 05:20 AM, said:

I first SAW Mechwarrior, but my mate wouldn't lend me the cd, cause he needed it. He did however give me the floppies for Crescent Hawks Inception and later, Revenge.

OMG, I'd forgotten about those games - as soon as I looked 'em up on google, I started to have flashbacks. :-)

Yup...played those too. :-p

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users