Building new rig for MW later this year. Opinions/Advices?

52 replies to this topic

#41 Seth Deathstalker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:24 AM

View PostVulpesveritas, on 30 June 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

They are supposed to be released within the next month but we'll see how good they'll actually be. It is sounding right now like all they're adding is native USB 3.0, though the motherboards themselves may be better. So yeah wait and see as everything else.
Oh, and I do recommend AMD RAM given the low CAS latency and that they are low profile, and the 2nd round of QC they get. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820103008
if you can find it there of course.

View PostOdins Fist, on 30 June 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

--RAM--
With AMD as far as RAM goes, "LOWER" timings are where RAM shines with an AMD CPU, with Intel it is not as important, I have seen an Intel CPU (3820) take a junk kit of RAM, and make it perform like a more expensive kit of RAM..
Good RAM (with the lowest timings you can get) for AMD motherboard CPU combos is the way to go, and from what I have seen this is the case with Bulldozer as well, not just Denebs or Thubans, so anyone that tells you that whatever RAM kit is no better than the other, then they are incorrect.. With two RAM kits at the same MHZ, the kit (dual channel) with the lower timings will perfom better with AMD.. PERIOD.
I have a set of old DDR3 1333MHZ G-Skill RAM at (7-7-7-21) that was fantastic, and i'm currently running Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz at 1808Mhz at almost stock timings, and I can say without a doubt that i'm performing better than someone I know running 1800Mhz
at (9-9-9-24) timings... Some people say RAM doesn't matter, not true.. Quantity matters to a point, but quality "ALWAYS" matters.
Lower timings with higher MHZ is better.(check to see what your memory controller on your CPU can handle) If you can get a CAS-7 kit over a CAS-9 or higher Kit at the same MHZ, that's the way to go. (lower timings)
Your system will be a bit more snappy, some people might say they don't see a difference, but I know better, as long as you have the CPU, GPU, and motherboard to handle the job, you will notice a difference when gaming, maybe not an Earth shaking experience, but just wait until the screen is filled with particles, smoke, fire, exlposions, and lasers (watch here comes a comment about the GPU), you will notice.
If you buy a bidget kit of RAM expect budget performance, that is unless you run an Intel CPU, then it's buyer beware..
F.Y.I., 32gb of RAM is overkill at the moment... LOL

Taking this into consideration what do you make of the following two RAM:

AMD: CL 8 / timing 8-9-8 / voltage 1.65V

G.SKILL: CL 7 / timing 7-8-8-24 / voltage 1.5V

The AMD has a second round of quality control and has a lower profile. The G.Skill has lower timing and voltage.
I tend to the G.Skill stick. Will have to check how it works with an aftermarket cooler because of its higher profile.

#42 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

it's pretty much down to what you want, the extra bit of speed, or the quality control check and low profile compatibility. the difference in power consumption between them is minimal, and doesn't really matter in the grad scheme of things unless you plan to overclock your RAM further.
then too, you are of course paying more for the Gskill RAM.

#43 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Seth, I have never, ever had a problem with G.Skill RAM. Despite the cheap price, it's usually downright over-engineered (my cheapish 1600mhz Ripjaw will fly past 2000mhz without an issue... I've actually tried it just for giggles... ;) ), and I've never had a reliability or compatibility problem across many, many kits I've used in many builds for many people.

#44 Seth Deathstalker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Bold is set, italic is on debate.

Case: LanCool PC-K9X First Knight
PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Modular
Case fan (intake): 2x Silverstone SST-AP121 4-Pin 140mm
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme3 AM3+ (either 970, 990FX, or 10xx chipset -> October)
CPU: AMD, will choose in October
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS8900 Extreme PWM
Thermal Compound: Gelid GC Extreme
RAM: 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz CL7
GPU: will choose in October
Slot fan (System cooler): Evercool SB-F1 FOX-1
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 2.5" SATA3 128GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 3.5" SATA3 750GB
ODD: Plextor PX-L890SA DVD/CD-Burner SATA
Keyboard: Speedlink Darsky LED
Mouse: Logitech G400 (right hand)
Joystick: Thrustmaster T.16000M (left hand)
•Monitor: probably Asus 23" LED backlight or such
•Headset: will see

Motherboard:
The only difference between the 970 and the 990FX I could find was about the PCIe lanes. And since I won't do crossfire or sli one 2x 16 seems to be enough. Am I missing something here?
About the mobo itself. Is the ASRock 990FX Extreme4 really better than the ASRock 970 Extreme3?
I will need three SATA3 ports and two or three USB ports. Considering this, the Extreme3 should be easily enough. Comparison didn't show up any other big differences.

CPU cooler:
I am looking into this. (Again). There are a lot of models to choose from. Zalman is a good brand. Vulpes kindly provided a better option (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835226051).
I will use a normal midi ATX tower. That cuts the flock down a bit 'cause the real biggies won't fit into it. Not really a problem. But there are still many around. Any thoughts on this Cooler Master as an example? Other suggestions?

Thank you folks for all the advice and the inside infos given so far!
You are a great help!

#45 Skrapheap

• PipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Yeah don't use that CM heatsink. I looked up the measurements for your case, and you can fit up to a 160 mm tall heatsink. And if you go with Cooler master for your CPU cooler grab this one http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103099. It runs neck and neck with the SilenX that Vulpe recommended.

Edited by Wulffemein, 01 July 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#46 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostSeth Deathstalker, on 01 July 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

Taking this into consideration what do you make of the following two RAM:

AMD: CL 8 / timing 8-9-8 / voltage 1.65V

G.SKILL: CL 7 / timing 7-8-8-24 / voltage 1.5V

The AMD has a second round of quality control and has a lower profile. The G.Skill has lower timing and voltage.
I tend to the G.Skill stick. Will have to check how it works with an aftermarket cooler because of its higher profile.

I would "NOT" go with the AMD RAM that you have listed, as far as G-Skill, I have had to RMA two sticks back of their RAM, but they are good enough to let you RMA only the defective RAM, and keep the other half or so of your kit to use until your replacement is mailed to you..
It's a shame they don't make the Dominator 1600MHZ kit I have anymore at stock timings of (7-8-7-21) 1.6v
The Lower the timing, the better it will be for an AMD system...
Mushkin is decent RAM, you might want to look at this if you don't plan on overclocking it..
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820226305
The lower the timings the better, just check your motherboards (QVL LIST) for memory supported by your motherboard.

#47 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

View PostSeth Deathstalker, on 01 July 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Motherboard:
The only difference between the 970 and the 990FX I could find was about the PCIe lanes. And since I won't do crossfire or sli one 2x 16 seems to be enough. Am I missing something here?
About the mobo itself. Is the ASRock 990FX Extreme4 really better than the ASRock 970 Extreme3?
I will need three SATA3 ports and two or three USB ports. Considering this, the Extreme3 should be easily enough. Comparison didn't show up any other big differences.

Well, there are a few things different.
The 990FX board has 8+2 VRM instead of 4+1 phase VRM.
The 990FX board uses higher quality components.
The 990FX board has a longer warranty.
the 990FX board comes with a front panel for USB.

View PostSeth Deathstalker, on 01 July 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

CPU cooler:
I am looking into this. (Again). There are a lot of models to choose from. Zalman is a good brand. Vulpes kindly provided a better option (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835226051).
I will use a normal midi ATX tower. That cuts the flock down a bit 'cause the real biggies won't fit into it. Not really a problem. But there are still many around. Any thoughts on this Cooler Master as an example? Other suggestions?

Well the main reason I recommend the SilentX cooler over the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO is due to that they have nearly the same performance, but the SilentX model is quieter and has a better fan. It's a fluid dynamic bearing instead of a cheap sleeve bearing.

View PostOdins Fist, on 01 July 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

I would "NOT" go with the AMD RAM that you have listed, as far as G-Skill, I have had to RMA two sticks back of their RAM, but they are good enough to let you RMA only the defective RAM, and keep the other half or so of your kit to use until your replacement is mailed to you..
It's a shame they don't make the Dominator 1600MHZ kit I have anymore at stock timings of (7-8-7-21) 1.6v
The Lower the timing, the better it will be for an AMD system...
Mushkin is decent RAM, you might want to look at this if you don't plan on overclocking it..
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820226305
The lower the timings the better, just check your motherboards (QVL LIST) for memory supported by your motherboard.

While yes the lower the timings the better, part of it will be board compatibility and price. Though Mushkin is awesome. If it's not available where he's at then the AMD would be in my opinion the best buy, depending on pricing. Plus I do recommend it for the low profile nature of it, but that's me, I am not personally a fan of oversized heatspreaders on RAM.

Edited by Vulpesveritas, 01 July 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#48 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

"What I already put an eye on is the Asus P9X79 deluxe, socket 2011" If you are going this route for a Motherboard, I can say this, i'm standing here next to that Mobo with a Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E in it, and it is a very good combo..
Also the Asus P9X79 deluxe, socket 2011 has the ability to flash the BIOS via a USB flash drive with only the "power supply & Video Card" plugged into the board (you don't even need a video card believe it or not), and I was part of that BIOS flashing process, Asus even has the instructions in a step by step tutorial on how to do it. This Asus P9X79 deluxe, socket 2011 did not have the correct version of BIOS for the i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E, and it was a snap to flash the BIOS and get it running, I wish all were this way if you had a CPU not supported by the version of BIOS that comes shipped with the mobo...
On a side note if you are still going AMD, lower timing RAM will still be the better performer, personally I wouldn't buy that AMD RAM, I always go for lowest timings that I can get my hands on.

Edited by Odins Fist, 02 July 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#49 Koshadows

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

eh.... the op kindly stated that he wasn't gonna go with crossfire/sli. That makes the 2011 platform kind of a moot point since the main strength of the board lies with its multi pci-e x16 lanes and its quad channel RAM.

Also the increase in the mobo price isn't worth it if you stick a 3820 into the board since the new ivy 3770k performs better and can be placed in a much cheaper 1155 socket.

If the OP is indeed looking into aftermarket CPU cooling in the terms of larger fans, I would much recommend he go for the lower profile AMD ram since there's less chance of it interfering with the CPU cooler.

#50 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostKoshadows, on 02 July 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

eh.... the op kindly stated that he wasn't gonna go with crossfire/sli. That makes the 2011 platform kind of a moot point since the main strength of the board lies with its multi pci-e x16 lanes and its quad channel RAM.

Also the increase in the mobo price isn't worth it if you stick a 3820 into the board since the new ivy 3770k performs better and can be placed in a much cheaper 1155 socket.

If the OP is indeed looking into aftermarket CPU cooling in the terms of larger fans, I would much recommend he go for the lower profile AMD ram since there's less chance of it interfering with the CPU cooler.

eh... I was just relating "EXPERIENCE" I had with the Asus P9X79 deluxe, socket 2011, and the i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E, I wasn't saying that he should or shouldn't get it, I was simply pointing out the BIOS flash feature if he ended up going that route.. just sayin...
You can always look at the Mobo to see if you cooler will likely fit without hitting the DIMMS, other people have reviews up that will be of help to see which aftermarket cooler fits or not, and i'm going to say it again.. "LOWER TIMINGS" are best for AMD, and that RAM that is labeled AMD, I wouldn't bother with... heat Spreader hate regardless.

Edited by Odins Fist, 02 July 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#51 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostDamion Wolf, on 24 January 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

Whatever you build, you should put guns on it.

This, and make sure you use a mech's core as your power source, and when ever to boots up it says "All systems Nominal"

#52 Seth Deathstalker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Bold is set, italic is on debate.

Case: LanCool PC-K9X First Knight
PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Modular
Case fan (intake): 2x Silverstone SST-AP121 4-Pin 140mm
Motherboard: ASRock 1070 Extreme4 AM3+ SB1060 -> October
CPU: AMD, will choose in October
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS8900 Extreme PWM
Thermal Compound: Gelid GC Extreme
RAM: 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz CL7
GPU: will choose in October
Slot fan (System cooler): Evercool SB-F1 FOX-1
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 2.5" SATA3 128GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 3.5" SATA3 750GB
ODD: Plextor PX-L890SA DVD/CD-Burner SATA
Keyboard: Speedlink Darsky LED
Mouse: Logitech G400 (right hand)
Joystick: Thrustmaster T.16000M (left hand)
•Monitor: probably Asus 23" LED backlight or such
•Headset: will see

Still looking into CPU coolers. Some more reviews and articles to go through.
Does any of you have hands-on experience with ninja wire to additionally secure one of those tall coolers? (Rubbish, not necessary, or of some value?)

Vulpes, I will go with the G.Skill. They should fit - for example - with the SilenX cooler you recommended. And I like the look of the sticks :rolleyes: And the quality will be quite ok.Thanks for the input there, Cata.

View PostSkadi, on 02 July 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

This, and make sure you use a mech's core as your power source, and when ever to boots up it says "All systems Nominal"

"All systems nominal." at boot up should be possible. I read somewhere about customizing sounds, including at boot up.

Still checking about mounting guns, though......

Edited by Seth Deathstalker, 04 July 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#53 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Well, there's always this higher end heatsink to consider: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835426030
And never used supporting wire with a heatsink personally.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users