Looking For Units To Be Featured In Comics

5 replies to this topic

#1 SirDubDub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

For those of you who don't read the fanart section, I've been posting a mechwarrior comic for the past few weeks. You can find the complete first chapter here
http://mwomercs.com/...ries-nightmare/

Posted Image

The goal is to capture the meat-and-potatoes feeling of being a mechwarrior in the battletech universe through a variety of characters and short stories, which may eventually evolve into a persistent narrative. I would very much like this project to feature player-run units rather than established canon units in order to generate some community content/interest (and generate some new mechwarrior legends...or something).

THE PRIORITY LIST FOR UNITS
  • Extremely High Priority (I need these units for current projects)
-Mercenary Corp with Western/Cowboy/Cavalry feel (similar to the Eridani Light Horse, but much smaller and potentially less reputable)

-Space Pirates (Preferably operating at the borders of the Lyran Commonwealth/FRR. Outrageous characteristics are most welcome. Basically the crazier the better.)
  • High Priority (I need these units for upcoming projects)
-Lyran/Federated Commonwealth Unit (Preferably a mix of Lyrans and Davions, but a purely Lyran group would work in a pinch.)

-Draconis Combine Unit (The more prestigious the better for this one. RP groups with members that can accurately translate Japanese would be AWESOME.)

-Hardcore Davionist Unit (The kinds of players that start tenting when they read the Stackpole novels)
  • Moderate Priority (nice to have these units on hand if/when I need them)
-Liao/Cappellan Unit (Actual RP Liaos would be nice)

-At least Two Marik units (Because, you know, civil war)

-Other Merc Corps

-Additional FRR units

-Clan Wolf Units

-Clan Ghost Bear Units
  • Low Priority (No plans for these factions yet)
-Other Clan Units

-Comstar/Word of Blake

Some Ground Rules For Application
  • Your unit must be lore-friendly
What I mean by this is that your unit's characteristics can't go against battletech canon in any dramatic way. Adding another regiment to an existing house unit (such as the 5th Drakøns featured in the first chapter) is fine, but a Davion/Kurita/Pirate mixed merc corp with unlimited Atlases is right out. RP units are ideal, and will have priority selection over competitive units of similar characteristics.

• Your unit must be active
In the interest of serving an active community, I would like to feature units that can maintain an active presence either in the forums, in game, or on a third-party site. I'd also like to see at least a bit of population in your units (minimum of eight members for now)

• Your unit must allow for fair use
I would love to feature the existing visual elements (logo's, banners, in-game paint jobs) of player-run units in these comics. This means that I'll need permission from the owners of these images in order to use them. There is a small possibility that I will be able to generate revenue from this project, which would essentially mean that the original image owners would be releasing these images to me under the Creative Commons Attribution License http://creativecommo...icenses/by/3.0/ I'm going to ask you guys up front if you are okay with that.

• Your unit must allow for artistic freedom
I'm looking for player units to add some depth and richness to this comic, not to write a fanfic about Kong or DHB or The Eleventh Lyran Guards, etc. I will be making original characters and stories for these units, not depicting existing players, mechs, or exploits. I will be using player-generated names, logos, paint jobs, and unit characteristics only. I will work on the actual fiction.

I think that pretty much covers my expectations for applications. Feel free to ask questions if you have any, or to request an exception to a rule or two (I'll make exceptions based on the merits of the request, and the needs of the project at the time)

If you are interested in seeing your unit featured in this comic, send me a PM, or leave a comment in this thread with the details.

#2 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

Legion of myth or the GDVC would probably be your best bet for liao units. (LoM is a roleplaying guild in its own right.) however, if you go with the GDVC you will have to find them in st. ives, they are no longer part of the metro's house liao network (think steinerhub for house liao.).

(note if lowtax also want to do stuff like this, i got no clue. other than occasionally getting into posting wars with some of their members i have little to no contact with them.)

I shot the leader of LoM a message mentioning this.

(also note i am not a member of either recommended units.)

Edited by dal10, 06 August 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#3 Asaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

Hi SirDubDub I think this is a great idea and would love to offer up my unit C4 as a candidate. I did a little imagined history for our unit on our website feel free to check it out. http://c4mercs.enjin...story-c4-part-2

If you have any questions just let me know and I can't wait to see your next comic. Keep up the great work.

Edited by Asaru, 06 August 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#4 stormblade002

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Robinson Rangers would definitely qualify for your Davion Unit. They are a cannon unit (militia defense force on the Davion border)

unit site: http://www.rrb.enjin.com/

Sarna references to Robinson Rangers: http://www.sarna.net...obinson_Rangers

#5 Khavi Vetali

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 277 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

Night Watch would be honored to offer our name in the Merc corp section. We are a newly formed unit, and as such are still working on our unit identity, art and website. Our post in Outreach has a "advertisement" that covers our unit services, and I'm hoping to have our unit insignia and some other art there before too long. We're also working on a loose unit history that could be provided, and our lyran origins and base of operations are in the area that will become the Arc Royal Defense Cordon. While not strictly an RP unit, we love the lore of Battletech and many of us have a long history with the tabletop and pc games, and are looking to make our unit flavor and fluff as deep as any. That said, I don't see issues with fair use or artistic liscense, and we are very active with a rough membership of ~25 pilots.

Also, loving the comic!

PS. Think we had a match against you last night, well fought Conquest game in Terra Therma :(

Edited by Khavi Vetali, 07 August 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#6 Mr Everything

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 99 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

If you could find room for the Davion Royal House Guards
I would love to see some stories put to comix.

http://davionroyals.enjin.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users