174 replies to this topic

#1 Lupus Ignis

• Pip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSaddle Brook, NJ, USA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

So, I have been a fan of Liao for many years (since I started playing Battletech), and I've read through the threads here and am pretty damned confused and somewhat concerned.

On the one hand, there seems to be a pretty large group of people interested in making Liao an awesome MWO organization. There's a lot of enthusiastic people, and from what I gather, the ones from the "Goon Squad" are veteran video gamers who really enjoy MMOs.

On the other hand, the "Goon Squad" has a horrible reputation for basically screwing with games on a meta- level, pushing the lines of exploitation and justifying their actions as helping the game designers discover such flaws occasionally. A web search about Mittani reveals a lot of things that many, I think, would consider "not fun", essentially, griefing people mostly because they can.

So, what can I expect here? I make no particular judgments, I'm just looking to know if getting involved with this faction is going to be more of a headache than a fun experience. I like roleplaying in the BT universe, as far as that goes, and I like the canon but I'm not a grognard about it. (The squawwwwk thing makes me laugh...but I am pretty sure it's going to get pretty damn old eventually. It's the thematic way of pushing the boundaries past absurdity, in my opinion, but what do I know?)

So...could I get some opinions here, from the Goons or people who are afraid of them or whatever? I just want an honest assessment, because what I read here now are (a) goons being defensive because people are calling them names, (:( butthurt people complaining about the Goons and assuming that just because they acted like they did in Eve they're going to do the same thing here, and (c) Goons being sarcastic right back. It turns into a war of 'who's the bad guy/who's the good guy' and that's not really useful in terms of finding out whether I'll have actual *FUN* trying to play in the Capellan Confederation.

Put even more simply: I would consider joining Liao if we would be "playing" Liao "seriously". If it's just going to wind up being "exploits" or people squawwwking drowning out the theme, maybe I should play somewhere else?

#2 Centurin

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Personally, I would steer clear of Goons. You've been warned.

#3 Anders

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Mr. B. Boom:

The Word of Lowtax has a thread in the other forums (of which you have access to through the virtue of your Founder's status), in the Off-Topic section. The thread is called "Ask a Goon"

If you have any questions please inquire there.

Robotically Yours,
Anders
Public Relations Officer
Bropocalypse Now Lance - "The Fist of Lowtax"

#4 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

I would take Mr. Anders advice and should you have mature, civilized questions that you should like to ask them, then please use the aforementioned post. There will be many , both advocates and detractors, that would be able to answer your questions both in that thread or in private.

As not everyone has access to that area of the forums, I will allow this thread to stay open. HOWEVER, please use your best judgement when posting.

Cheers.

#5 Hyperion Adama

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

Goonswarm's reputation is very clear. They feed off your tears. They do on occasion do some damned decent things. Their assault on macro miners in their hulkageddon over on eve is a nice attack on the economy but they go too far and always get players trying to make a profit that aren't macroing in the cross fire.

They're notorious for the most devious spy ops in video game history. And they've chosen to expand into this game. Watch your houses closely. They will use any method short of cheating to win. I dont have too much of a problem with that. But i hope that people understand what they're walking into.

#6 svtman

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 51 posts
  • LocationDallas, Tx

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

Personally I have no issue with them because everytime I have faced them with my teammates or a pug I have never lost. I'll just enjoy farming them.. Come on guys you nothing to fear from them all they can do is base rush and alpha strike...

#7 TheOnlyNom

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationDragon Lance HQ

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

They are our worst nightmare and greatets salvation. Having rolled against them and with them (though as a spy, i dont think they figured me out yet, even 3 years later!) For the most part, they are a decent group of guys. However, any community has bad seeds and they are ruined as a whole for me by some of their members. They play to win, and dont have a problem going all the way to do it. But they do need more practice. 8 swaybacks is hardly a challenge.Looking at you Squawk Lance!

Edited by TheOnlyNom, 12 August 2012 - 07:36 PM.

#8 Imagine Dragons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationLV-223

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

It's a trap.

#9 Curst

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

Bada BOOM, do some more reading. If you still have questions, you haven't read enough. I'ts pretty safe to say that at this point there's no House Liao anymore, there's only House of Lowtax. There's no Capellan Confederation, there's only squawk. And my suggestion would be to stay clear of this house, espetially if you want to "play Liao seriously". Because in that case they'll be just as troublesome for you as allies as they would've been as enemies. Or probably even more troublesome.

#10 Supremacist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

View PostBada BOOM, on 12 August 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

"expressing concerns"

Just be cool and youll have a lot of fun. Dont take yourself or the game too seriously.

#11 Melthir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

View PostCurst, on 12 August 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

Bada BOOM, do some more reading. If you still have questions, you haven't read enough. I'ts pretty safe to say that at this point there's no House Liao anymore, there's only House of Lowtax. There's no Capellan Confederation, there's only squawk. And my suggestion would be to stay clear of this house, espetially if you want to "play Liao seriously". Because in that case they'll be just as troublesome for you as allies as they would've been as enemies. Or probably even more troublesome.

There is still a house Liao. Just do not try to force us to take a stompy robot game seriously. We won't and you will just have your feelings hurt. You can take it a serious as you want. You may get trolled a bit but its all good nature fun. We are not all mean and scary. Except the prophet Mittani he is all knowing and there for scary.

#12 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostSupremacist, on 12 August 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

Just be cool and youll have a lot of fun. Dont take yourself or the game too seriously.

Yes, those days are over, the role-play secret police have arrived. Line up, play hard, but do everything else half hearted, or else receive ridicule. House Liao is now "Comedy House", because GS couldn't just get a nice merc outfit.

#13 rRadix

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 12 August 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

Yes, those days are over, the role-play secret police have arrived. Line up, play hard, but do everything else half hearted, or else receive ridicule. House Liao is now "Comedy House", because GS couldn't just get a nice merc outfit.

How does that make you feel?

#14 Deffias

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Although i've never been nerd raged personally by anything that Goonswarm has done (referring to EvE "Bee" tee dubs).... But i did get "stub your toe on the leg of a coffee table" level pissed (if i had to compare it to something) when i heard Suas (EVE name) go bananas like a teenager screaming in nerd rage on headset playing COD over some noob eve pilots doin noob stuff. It was annoying enough that I wish there were peripherals that could be attached to computers--that would transmit physical pain via the internet in the form of a fist punching someone in the noise hole.

But, a friend of mine showed me these http://soundcloud.co...have/****-goons and

And after listening I was instantly happier. HOW could i be upset at people with this kind of ****** up personality? This **** cracks me up!

So yes, GOONSWARM may have a bad rep, but rly? Its friggin video games--if you find yourself so aggravated over goons antics in video games that its ruining your dork time... Do the healthy thing and watch some dirty movies, rub one out and go for a jog... or take a nap. wut ev. You'll be right as rain after ^_^

EDITED: cause there was a naughty word in the soundcloud url and it ruins the hyperlink. should read http://soundcloud.com/shutupandshave/[INSERT F-WORD HERE]-goons

.... and by F word I mean the 4 letter one that has various different uses. Like when it was used as a verb by your parents in the back seat of a buick after a drink... or 12 resulting in 77.287934% of our conceptions.

Edited by Deffias, 12 August 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#15 Valaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

Back in the day Goons tried to branch into Darkfall... They were soundly beaten the crap out of but they tried all manner of exploitations, house theft etc in their time.

But not much they can do to damage anything on this game, as long as dragon ramming is fixed.

Edited by Valaska, 12 August 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#16 CommieGIR

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationCheyenne, WY

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostValaska, on 12 August 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

But not much they can do to damage anything on this game, as long as dragon ramming is fixed.

So...you are telling the devs to get rid of the physics engine? If a 60 ton mech crashes into another mech at full burst, crap will happen.

Do you not comprehend physics?

#17 Anders

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Mr. Tec-Vik:

Once again, you continue your agenda of besmirching the good name of The Word of Lowtax. Perhaps you should get out more and get some perspective on shooting big robots with green (and sometimes red, because blue ones suck right now) lasers.

We'll see who the "Comedy House" is when Liao is #1 (with an autocannon round)! Although I'm sure with your critical insight into Word of Lowtax culture, you'd be welcome at any number of merc groups or Great Houses.

Maybe not.

Robotically Yours,
Anders
Public Relations Officer
Bropocalypse Now Lance - "The Fist of Lowtax"

#18 DJPhased

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationIowa, USA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

Brutal honesty? I played a match on their side as a "Pubbie". I guess that's their term for a "rookie player" After FLATTENING the opposition, they chose me as target practice. Still, they couldn't bust my Jenner. But overall it was a comical experience. ^_^

Edited by DJPhased, 12 August 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#19 Graxus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

House Liao is now "Comedy House", because GS couldn't just get a nice merc outfit.

Now ?
Thats no change !

#20 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

View PostCommieGIR, on 12 August 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

So...you are telling the devs to get rid of the physics engine? If a 60 ton mech crashes into another mech at full burst, crap will happen.

Do you not comprehend physics?

you know what he's talking about stop being obtuse.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users