Anyone use a rudder?

36 replies to this topic

#1 Damvick

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

Thought about getting a rudder to compliment my x52 from Saitek. Just wondering if anyone has this and their feelings on it. Thanks

#2 Malroth

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

I play with my Racing wheel, honk the horn to Alpha strike.

#3 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

LOL

I have a set of rudder pedals, I'll experiment with the idea if I find there is good use for them...maybe the brake action can be used to activate jump jets or eject...time will tell.

#4 Malroth

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Pretty sure Damvick wants to use rudders to turn the torso left and right. Or perhaps the feet.

#5 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

That might work too...I thought I had already figuered it would be mapped to something else...but yeah torso turning would be good to(my joystick as stick twist)

#6 Valaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Don't bother they don't work with the invert throttle button its absolutely infuriating to try and use a throttle/paddles.

#7 Steel Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Locationgood old Germany

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

I use pedals to move the legs. It took a bit of training but now it works really fine for me.

#8 Dagger6T6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

I used rudder pedals for torso twist back in the day when stuff had serial ports instead of usb... more novelty than anything i guess...

#9 Zapper9

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationOuter Inner Sphere

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Refer to Valaska comment regarding throttle:

I mapped a saitek AV8R joystick w/ twist to use the throttles and all keyboard functions to toggle switches (6 switches x 3 modes = 18 functions). The invert throttle was frustrating to setup, but works fine if you are willing to put in the time. Nonetheless IMO - keyboard + Mouse seems far superior for Mech control.

PS: Malroth the honk Alpha strike is the funniest thing I've read in days!

Edited by Roger That, 16 August 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#10 Raishi Kytori

• PipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

I use my X52 pro with rudder pedals with MW4. I have them set up as close to a "real" Battlemech control setup as I can there; food pedals are steering, toe brakes activate jump gets, other movement controls on the throttle, weapons controls on the stick. Took a bit of practice but it's very natural now and so much more fun and immersive. I haven't tried it with MWO yet, but I'm sure it will work just as well!

#11 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

I'd like to give it a go. I'd stear the body with my feet, leaving my driving hand free for other key duties. Don't know if thegame will support rudder pedals or not though.

#12 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

I used to use em all the time... never can be too safe you know, but then when I got married... oh you said rudder.

#13 Raishi Kytori

• PipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 16 August 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

I'd like to give it a go. I'd stear the body with my feet, leaving my driving hand free for other key duties. Don't know if thegame will support rudder pedals or not though.

If it doesn't, you can always use PPJoy/PPJoyJoy to create a virtual stick and just make the pedals into another standard axis.

#14 Name48928

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCoMo

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostBelorion, on 16 August 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

I used to use em all the time... never can be too safe you know, but then when I got married... oh you said rudder.

"Son. You're going off to college, and I know you're going to try a lot of new things. I just wanted to tell you one thing: If you ever find yourself landing in a cross-wind situation, be sure to use a rudder."

#15 SineCurve

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostMalroth, on 16 August 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

I play with my Racing wheel, honk the horn to Alpha strike.

:)

#16 Alek Raynz

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

I've been using a HOTAS + Rudder setup since MW3. I use the rudders for torso-twisting and the stick for pitch and turn. I prefer having auto-centering when I use rudders for torso-twisting, but that option wasn't available in MW4. I'm hoping we get that option back in MWO.

#17 JFlash49

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationKingston

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

lol unless you can set it up so when you press on it you cn go either forward and backwards..i say dont use it lol

#18 Peli

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

I have been using the stick to aim with the torso, and twisting the stick for turning, but the idea of turning on the throttle is pretty good. I could just figure out what to do with the stick twist now.

#19 Erokh

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

I'd like to test the pedals of my wheel to turn the mech, but I already use a X52 Pro as main joystick, so the game doesn't want to take the pedals into account. I hope I'll be able to find something to do the trick

#20 Swiftfire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

I'm hoping MWO does well enough for someone to manufacture a mech sim hotas/rudder set.

I'd pay good money for one specifically designed mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users