Elo System Where Are You?

20 replies to this topic

#1 SerpentrasD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationEverywhere where my Bushwacker or Mad Cat III are located

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

I really don't care for the freaking might PPCs popturds and slower ER ppc prhacts vs brawling SRM guys but what the freaking heck? It is total crap if you put 4 Assaults with only heavys vs 4 lights and 4 meds who just run away after they spot you. Or just let the mediums die and slow outcap the other team, Oh I know I just could change my settings for only one game mode but what is that. Is that really the intention of the ELO system to be that?

Last two games I lost 8:0 under 4 min, sure that is no problem but I thought the ELO system should prevent that?! I also dislike it when I am wining 4 times in a Row with also 8:0
How the heck could that happened? To drunk enemies or maybe my team get the right shot for that or what?

The only thing now with the ELO system I see so far is that I saw no match who is balanced for the player skill for both sides and also sure it is freaking awesome if you must fight on a small map against + 200tons more against your team.

Edited by SerpentrasD, 11 May 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#2 Zylo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

View PostSerpentrasD, on 11 May 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

I really don't care for the freaking might PPCs popturds and slower ER ppc prhacts vs brawling SRM guys but what the freaking heck? It is total crap if you put 4 Assaults with only heavys vs 4 lights and 4 meds who just run away after they spot you. Or just let the mediums die and slow outcap the other team, Oh I know I just could change my settings for only one game mode but what is that. Is that really the intention of the ELO system to be that?

Last two games I lost 8:0 under 4 min, sure that is no problem but I thought the ELO system should prevent that?! I also dislike it when I am wining 4 times in a Row with also 8:0
How the heck could that happened? To drunk enemies or maybe my team get the right shot for that or what?

The only thing now with the ELO system I see so far is that I saw no match for the most matches between both sides and also sure it is freaking awesome if you must fight on a small map against 200tons against your team.

If you want close matches try WoT because PGI can't seem to figure out game balance and probably never will. It seems they need to do a better job at copying WoT. I've only seen 1 fight that was a total 15-0 stomp since I went back (there were 2 pre-made groups on each team, our team just kept the solo players from running off 1 at a time to die, unlike the enemy team that moved in 1 or 2 at a time). Most fights are actually pretty close rather than the typical MWO 8-0 or 0-8.

Best part is no poptarts.

Edited by Zylo, 11 May 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#3 I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

One thing your forgetting is that in wot its 15 v 15, and the biggest a premade can be is 3. Here in mwos 8v8 world a premade is 4, thats half the team. Imagine if wot had that, youd have 7 to 8 man large premades, and the balance would be fubar.

Thats why wot doesnt allow it. Why cant pgi figure that out?

#4 SerpentrasD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostZylo, on 11 May 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

If you want close matches try WoT because PGI can't seem to figure out game balance and probably never will. It seems they need to do a better job at copying WoT. I've only seen 1 fight that was a total 15-0 stomp since I went back (there were 2 pre-made groups on each team, our team just kept the solo players from running off 1 at a time to die, unlike the enemy team that moved in 1 or 2 at a time). Most fights are actually pretty close rather than the typical MWO 8-0 or 0-8.

Best part is no poptarts.

I played WOT when it was beta and played it after beta for some month and drop MWO for 4 months vs WOT this year.
And it is that , that WOT still had no implemented system to track and combine players with the same skill LVL.
I was a 1560 ER/Performance guy who is above the avg gamer. For the last 3k battles I even was over 1,8k.
And I saw a lot 15:2. Wot suffers from that you can not kill any tank with any other tank also that they dont match the Tech lvl who you get for your tank and crew. It is total awesome if you get 3x E75 who are top tier and are also not upgraded and have the first bad crew and the enemy roll also with 3xE75 but they are full upgraded and the crew had also 2+ skills. That is no ******* macht! Also WOT had some tanks who are really weak for most of their stats and cant even compensate it with another stat who just get the same TECH lvl match.

But WOT do one thing better then MWO, random matches can only be entered with a 3 man group.
If PGI set also 15 mechs vs 15 on one map and turn down the premades to only 3 it would be for me in my head more fun. And sure some mech should now need more Ammo :P . Or just change the teams to 2.

Edited by SerpentrasD, 11 May 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#5 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

WoT doesn't really care about balance. Their metrics are simple:

If a tank wins more than 50% of its matches, it needs a nerf.
If a tank loses more than 50% of its matches, it needs a buff.

Nothing else gets in their way. They don't look at its popularity, they don't give a damn if it is mostly drived by newbs or veteran people looking for a challenge

If it is a newly introduced shiny tank, it comes already buffed to motivate nerd hordes to burn their cash.
And its going to be nerfed few months after introduction, just in time for the introduction of a new shiny and powerful tank.

Edited by Kitane, 11 May 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#6 Zylo

• 1,782 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostI am, on 11 May 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

One thing your forgetting is that in wot its 15 v 15, and the biggest a premade can be is 3. Here in mwos 8v8 world a premade is 4, thats half the team. Imagine if wot had that, youd have 7 to 8 man large premades, and the balance would be fubar.

Thats why wot doesnt allow it. Why cant pgi figure that out?

WoT also has the population to support 15 vs 15 pre-made battles, MWO doesn't even have enough players to make weight matching + Elo work properly.

MWO is going to see 12 vs 12 pre-made match system be even more dead than the current 8 vs 8 pre-made matches.

For some reason others can't seem to understand that I am NOT suggesting a return to any size group vs pugs players, I am suggesting any size group vs a similar size group on the other team with the remaining team spots filled by solo players.

In WoT terms it would be like allowing a group of 12 to match up against another group of 12 with the remaining 3 spots on each team being filled by solo players. That is not the same as 12 grouped players + 3 solo players vs 15 solo players.

#7 Chemie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

ELO ignores weight

#8 SerpentrasD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

View PostChemie, on 11 May 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

ELO ignores weight
I know thats why I write that, It ignores weight and ignores Mech classes but what does it do?

#9 I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostZylo, on 11 May 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

WoT also has the population to support 15 vs 15 pre-made battles, MWO doesn't even have enough players to make weight matching + Elo work properly.

Think about what you are saying there. We cant have a structure which allows us to have more balance, because so few people play mwo. (true to a great extent) But we have "less players" due to a lack of balance. So, because it is not balanced, it will never see the population swell to support a 15 v 15 MM, but without a large population a more balanced system cannot be put in place to assumably create a more balanced playing field.

Its a cyclical problem, which feeds itself and stifles growth.

Answer: Implement it anyways. And hope, HOPE, people give mwo a second chance, experience the new balanced gaming experience, stay, and the population grows to make it easier for MM to continue to match in a more balanced fashion.

View PostKitane, on 11 May 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

Nothing else gets in their way. They don't look at its popularity, they don't give a damn if it is mostly drived by newbs or veteran people looking for a challenge

If it is a newly introduced shiny tank, it comes already buffed to motivate nerd hordes to burn their cash.
And its going to be nerfed few months after introduction, just in time for the introduction of a new shiny and powerful tank.

To your first statement, to an extent you are right, but in the end their communities stats are really much closer to 50% than we have here. Why? Their MM is hands over feet better.

As for your second point, about new tanks being buffed so people buy them when their new, that is EXACTLY what we have here. Its PPC Gauss-a-palooza, and here comes the Misery Mech, right after the JJing Gauss toting Heavy Metal. That you can spot wargaming doing it in wot, tells me your smart enough to realize the exact same thing is happening with PGI.

View PostSerpentrasD, on 11 May 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

I played WOT when it was beta and played it after beta for some month and drop MWO for 4 months vs WOT this year.
BUT and thats it that. WOT still had no implemented system to track and combine players with the same skill LVL.
I was a 1560 ER/Performance guy who is above the avg gamer. For the last 3k battles I even was over 1,8k.
And I saw a lot 15:2. Wot suffers from that you can not kill any tank with any other tank also that they dont match the Tech lvl who you get for your tank and crew. It is total awesome if you get 3x E75 who are top tier and are also not upgraded and have the first bad crew and the enemy roll also with 3xE75 but they are full upgraded and the crew had also 2+ skills. That is no ******* macht! Also WOT had some tanks who are really weak for most of their stats and cant even compensate it with another stat who just get the same TECH lvl match.

But WOT do one thing better then MWO, random matches can only be entered with a 3 man group.
If PGI set also 15 mechs vs 15 on one map and turn down the premades to only 3 it would be for me in my head more fun. And sure some mech should now need more Ammo :P . Or just change the teams to 2.

Hard to follow, but I'll bite. Thats a pretty good XVM rating you had in WoT, so your above the average players by a fair amount, in fact alot, go look yourself up you may be in the top 20%ile. COngrats, taht said if you struggle there, as many do in pub matches, you will sink again. Don't expect to keep that, because the MM in WoT has its eye on you, and wants to push you back down to 50%. You can overcome this, but its forever an uphill fight. WoT MM wants everyone at 50% and tries to make that happen by hamstringing you with terribad players. Its what makes having the stats you, I, and a number of other WoT tankers have, mean something becaause its hard to get, and damn difficult to keep.

*Food for thought*

View PostZylo, on 11 May 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Think about what you are saying there. We cant have a structure which allows us to have more balance, because so few people play mwo. (true to a great extent) But we have "less players" due to a lack of balance. So, because it is not balanced, it will never see the population swell to support a 15 v 15 MM, but without a large population a more balanced system cannot be put in place to assumably create a more balanced playing field.

Answer: Implement it anyways. And hope, HOPE, people give mwo a second chance, experience the new balanced gaming experience, stay, and the population grows to make it easier for MM to continue to match in a more balanced fashion.

View PostKitane, on 11 May 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

To your first statement, to an extent you are right, but in the end their communities stats are really much closer to 50% than we have here. Why? Their MM is hands over feet better.

As for your second point, about new tanks being buffed so people buy them when their new, that is EXACTLY what we ahve here. Its PPC Gauss-a-palooza, and here comes the Misery Mech, right after teh JJing Gauss toting Heavy Metal. That you can spot wargaming doing it in wot, tells me your smart enough to realize the exact same thing is happening with PGI.

View PostSerpentrasD, on 11 May 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

BUT and thats it that. WOT still had no implemented system to track and combine players with the same skill LVL.

If PGI set also 15 mechs vs 15 on one map and turn down the premades to only 3 it would be for me in my head more fun. And sure some mech should now need more Ammo :D . Or just change the teams to 2.

Hard to follow, but I'll bite. Thats a pretty good XVM rating you had in WoT, so your above the average players by a fair amount, in fact alot, go look yourself up you may be in the top 20 percentile. Congrats! That said if you struggle there, as many do in pub matches (including myself), you will sink again. Don't expect to keep that, because the MM in WoT has its eye on you, and wants to push you back down to 50%. You can overcome this, but its forever an uphill fight. WoT MM wants everyone at 50% and tries to make that happen by hamstringing you with terribad players. Its what makes having the stats you, I, and a number of other WoT tankers have, mean something becaause its hard to get, and damn difficult to keep.

*Food for thought*

Edited by I am, 11 May 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#10 Trey Mendus

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Match making does not ignore weight. The match making system tries setup a game with players with similar Elo rankings and mech tonnage. If not enough players are available the match making system lowers it tolerance on tonnage and Elo. The more players looking for matches at the same time the better the system works. So with lots of players taking a break the system can lead to big discrepancies in tonnage or skill.

Sidenote: Games can be close in 8-0 situations. There are times when the enemy team has numerous mechs almost cored out but they were able to survive. Once you team starts to lose you get into 2v1 situations, which makes it harder to come back. Overall my matches are much more competitive. Anyways if you want to know how the match making system works read these posts.

Overall the matchmaking system needs some work. Hopefully when the player base increases through either CW launch and/or weapon balance, we will see even better matches.

Edited by Trey Mendus, 11 May 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#11 Keifomofutu

• 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostI am, on 11 May 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

Hard to follow, but I'll bite. Thats a pretty good XVM rating you had in WoT, so your above the average players by a fair amount, in fact alot, go look yourself up you may be in the top 20 percentile. Congrats! That said if you struggle there, as many do in pub matches (including myself), you will sink again. Don't expect to keep that, because the MM in WoT has its eye on you, and wants to push you back down to 50%. You can overcome this, but its forever an uphill fight. WoT MM wants everyone at 50% and tries to make that happen by hamstringing you with terribad players. Its what makes having the stats you, I, and a number of other WoT tankers have, mean something becaause its hard to get, and damn difficult to keep.

*Food for thought*
WoT has no Elo system at all. Its random players every time. Thinking the mm is putting bad players on your team on purpose is just your cognitive bias.

Edited by Keifomofutu, 11 May 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#12 I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostKeifomofutu, on 11 May 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

WoT has no Elo system at all. Its random players every time. Thinking the mm is putting bad players on your team on purpose is just your cognitive bias.

It matches based on VXM stats+tank composition, but Ill assume you have as little of a clue about what that is, as you do about how their MM is superior, or why it is superior.

Go do some research.

#13 Zylo

• 1,782 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

The first step is balancing the matchmaking even if it leads to longer waits for a balanced match. The most visible balance must be done first - weight class matching (or tonnage/BV). Once players see the matches are balanced it will give them a reason to return to the game. Players don't see Elo ratings so it's easy to blame a loss on the visible imbalances such as 1 team getting 5 assault mechs while the other team ends up with 1.

It's not an easy first step for PGI to make because some players will certainly be upset about additional wait times but if nothing is done to fix the matchmaker balance then players will continue to leave and balance continues to get worse as matchmaker has fewer players to work with.

#14 Keifomofutu

• 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostI am, on 11 May 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

It matches based on VXM stats+tank composition, but Ill assume you have as little of a clue about what that is, as you do about how their MM is superior, or why it is superior.

Go do some research.

Do I have to wear a tinfoil hat while I "research"? If WoT had weighted matching then you couldn't get above 50%. The truth of the matter is that there are people who manage a consistent 60-70% even without using platoons. Guys who platoon can get above 80% win rate.

#15 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

High enough I have to go up against tarters and ridgers 90% of the time.
Low enough to still see mediums.

#16 I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostKeifomofutu, on 11 May 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Do I have to wear a tinfoil hat while I "research"? If WoT had weighted matching then you couldn't get above 50%. The truth of the matter is that there are people who manage a consistent 60-70% even without using platoons. Guys who platoon can get above 80% win rate.

You could start by not blatantly lying. Anyone above 70%, all .3% of them, does it by oonly playing company battles witht he best teams, or is clanned with the best players, and never deviates there from. I know one exception. Zakaladas, incredible xvm rating, only runs solo in a vk 2801 w gold rounds, but hes some oddball savant, far from the norm.

#17 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Elo system can not and will not work in game like MWO. It was designed for perfectly symmetrical 1v1 game (Chess), and MWO is nonsymmetrical 8v8 (soon to be 12v12). I say Elo system should be ditched in favour of purely random matchaking with weight/battle value/combination of both as balancing factor. But that will never happen.

#18 SerpentrasD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

*Food for thought*

I am sorry for my bad English. I am not a native English speaker but that should be a excuse.

The thing why I called myself above avg was the WoT initiated post. IF someone think I cheat, you could just watch the noobmeter: http://www.noobmeter.../eu/serpentrasd
For that I know enough about WoT to say that you cant compare MWO to WoT for most cases.

I don't see a problem with a ELO system if it would compare overall tonnage vs the other teams also like compare avg. skill to the other team.
Also the thing you write down, why shouldn there be more players for a team if they not change the max. for teams. WoT was every time 15 vs 15 players and they succeed

Edited by SerpentrasD, 11 May 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#19 Blackadder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

I have not played WOT in two years, but i ran 60%+ average win , with 75% of my matches being solo que. The primary difference was that in WOT, you were able to impact every single match in a much more powerful fashion as both a solo player and in a 3 man group if you had good players with you. You did not even have to use gold ammo to do this, it was just a matter of working the MM system, and using the same focus fire as you see here. Add in something like running a konsch with gold ammo on a vk3601 in a 3 man group and you could dominate pretty easy.

In MWO the potential for a single player to have major impact is significantly less, that is the only real difference in terms of gameplay. This is why there are far more 0-8 or 8-0 matches, then 5-3 or 3-5 in the solo que because your ability to overcome the drawbacks of a bad early game is not enough. with a 4 man group its far easier to minimize the impact of bad and or new players, however even then, if you go down 3-4 to 0 early game, your going to lose more often then not.

#20 SerpentrasD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Last 5 gamesIonly lost with a total enemy domination, the only thing who could cool me down to dont smash my TFF panala was my sister. I never would smash my panel if I would play Wot. NOW MWo show me the real stupid guys at the max. In never thought about that the avg Wot guy will be better then a MWO guy.

My rage is only keep cool because I am to trunk to smash or hurt anything. I never had that feeling for the much more easier WoT

Edited by SerpentrasD, 11 May 2013 - 02:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users