Jump to content

PvE


45 replies to this topic

#1 Adino

    Member

  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

I am not good at searching but they won't let me search "PvE".

Will there be any PvE? I read all the dev blogs, not the comments though. It seems from the dev blogs this game is going to be like League of Legends but with the "Community Warfare" added.

It does not seem like it will have any PvE except maybe practice servers.

Can people let those that don't know... know?

#2 CapperDeluxe

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,260 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

It will almost certainly not be releasing with PVE, and I wouldn't count on it ever being in honestly since thats just not the kind of game it appears to be going for

#3 Rayge

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

There's a dev Q/A that mentioned PVE, i can't remember which one: go read them all

#4 Ktula Matata

    Rookie

  • The Charge
  • The Charge
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

PVE =s Player vs everyone right? like a free for all? sorry my RPG shorthand is a wreck..

#5 Rayge

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostKtula, on 03 February 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

PVE =s Player vs everyone right? like a free for all? sorry my RPG shorthand is a wreck..


lol, artfully done: can't tell if trolling or legitimately confused. PVE is player versus environment, aka, killing NPCs.

What does RPG stand for? sorry I'm not great at these acronyms

#6 Kenyon Burguess

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

rocket propelled grenade

#7 Adino

    Member

  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostRayge, on 03 February 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

There's a dev Q/A that mentioned PVE, i can't remember which one: go read them all


Trying to read them all, but there is a lot. I am really behind. So from what I can gather there will be no "environment" that you run around in your mech and blow things up. Instead you queue up and get "dropped" into a planet (battleground) and go at it huh? So this is like LoL mixed in with Risk, with a whole crap load of custonmization of your toon/mech?

Another question that I think a lot will want to know or at least me.

Will there be crafting type skills? For example, creating modules or salvaging a battlefield? This is the scenario that I am thinkging about:

You are fighting this battle and you see this Rifleman firing of LRM 15s and you are a Shadowcat hiding behind some trees really far away. And you are thinking, do I call in an airstrike and hope my engineer is skilled enough to salvage those LRM15s or do I run up to it, tag his legs and call in a longbow? Now if your engineer is basically Scottie, you call in the strike because he can salvage anything. If your engineer is a noob, well I think you risk your Shadowcat for some LRM15s.

On that note, is their salvaging at all or we just getting C-bills? I saw the skills trees and there was no salvaging skill.

#8 Tsen Shang

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Tennessee

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

PvE is actually Player vs Environment, which is considered single player most of the time, or in the case of WoW or other MMOs, group based.

A sizable number of the community want to see PvE purchasable at some point, but who knows :D

#9 CapperDeluxe

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,260 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostAdino, on 03 February 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Will there be crafting type skills? For example, creating modules or salvaging a battlefield? This is the scenario that I am thinkging about:

On that note, is their salvaging at all or we just getting C-bills? I saw the skills trees and there was no salvaging skill.


I don't think you'll be crafting things because you're a mechwarrior not a tech. They'll be purchasable with C-Bills would be the best bet.

No word yet on if the end of matches only produces XP and CBills or if there might also be some kind of salvage intake.

#10 Russ Bullock

    President

  • Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

PvE would be great, I want it and many others do. But it needs to slip down the priority list for now, first we need to establish a successful product before we can add more features into it. Keep your fingers crossed.

#11 Adino

    Member

  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 03 February 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

PvE would be great, I want it and many others do. But it needs to slip down the priority list for now, first we need to establish a successful product before we can add more features into it. Keep your fingers crossed.


This is a quote from one of those Q&A. I decided to go from the start, instead of backwards like I was doing.

Is this game going to have lots of servers like a WoW or are you hoping for a single persistent server world like EVE Online?


[MATT C] Each game spawns its own dedicated server, these are not persistent like WoW, as mentioned that would take us into MMO territory. There is persistent game world information, i.e. match results are communicated to affect the balance of power in the Inner Sphere, who owns what planet etc. but there is no true persistent world, more of a persistent meta-game.

[MATT N] Lots of Servers Lots and Lots of servers

So it seems that there is a true "end game" where one faction pretty much owns the world, thus ending the game. At least that is an assumption I am drawing here. There is also no environment at all. Hopefully they will have "practice matches" vs. bots like in LoL where you can grind some c-bills or some exp.

This is definately not an MMO. This seems a lot like Chrome Hounds. That game failed, but I think if launched today it might do ok now.

#12 Adino

    Member

  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 03 February 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:


I don't think you'll be crafting things because you're a mechwarrior not a tech. They'll be purchasable with C-Bills would be the best bet.

No word yet on if the end of matches only produces XP and CBills or if there might also be some kind of salvage intake.


Yeah that end of match tally is what I am talking about. I also think they can do some "Eve" type crafting. Have blueprints and skills to read those prints and skills to make the modules and skills to put them on mechs. I also think that crafting system if they are going to have one has to be implemented from the start.

#13 Opus

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,670 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

View PostKtula, on 03 February 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

PVE =s Player vs everyone right? like a free for all? sorry my RPG shorthand is a wreck..


OMG I just shot Diet Mt Dew through the nose laughing... Thanks for making my day..even if was painfully funnny

#14 Rayge

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostAdino, on 03 February 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

This is definately not an MMO. This seems a lot like Chrome Hounds. That game failed, but I think if launched today it might do ok now.


It depends on how lose your definition of 'MMO' is. The wikipedia definition is 'game played on the internet with many people at once that includes a persistent world.' if you go off of that definition, then this game would be an MMO. Functionally, it exists kind of in the gray space between traditional MMOs and 'waiting room' games like recent call of duty multiplayer.

however, they are pretty clear that your 'end game' scenario cannot exist in their dev blog 1 where they talk about planet types. There are planets that the devs reserve as 'storyline' worlds. There are planets that are for factions to fight over only. And then there are 'border worlds' which are worlds loosely affiliated with factions that cannot be attacked by factions: instead they are attacked and controlled by Merc corps. They went on to say that only certain factions would be able to attack certain worlds (putting a theoretical limit on the faction expansion.)

#15 ShoveI

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSolaris

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

View PostAdino, on 03 February 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:


So it seems that there is a true "end game" where one faction pretty much owns the world, thus ending the game.



Actually, I don't believe there will be an "end game" at all. This game is based on the timeline from the BT universe so there will be no set end as far as I can tell.

View PostAdino, on 03 February 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:


There is also no environment at all. Hopefully they will have "practice matches" vs. bots like in LoL where you can grind some c-bills or some exp.


There has been some speculation about this and going on some posts from the devs it seems that there won't be any "single" combat practice matches. I believe you will be able to drop singly vs another player or in any combination up to at least 8 v 8, so 1 v 2 or 1 v 8 might be possible as well.

#16 Adino

    Member

  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostRayge, on 03 February 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:


It depends on how lose your definition of 'MMO' is. The wikipedia definition is 'game played on the internet with many people at once that includes a persistent world.' if you go off of that definition, then this game would be an MMO. Functionally, it exists kind of in the gray space between traditional MMOs and 'waiting room' games like recent call of duty multiplayer.

however, they are pretty clear that your 'end game' scenario cannot exist in their dev blog 1 where they talk about planet types. There are planets that the devs reserve as 'storyline' worlds. There are planets that are for factions to fight over only. And then there are 'border worlds' which are worlds loosely affiliated with factions that cannot be attacked by factions: instead they are attacked and controlled by Merc corps. They went on to say that only certain factions would be able to attack certain worlds (putting a theoretical limit on the faction expansion.)


Yes, I read that. However, if (and by if I mean when because one thing you know about any MMO-tradition or wiki definition- is that every scenario will be played out) a faction gets so strong and has basically all the hardcore and good players and they just dominate every match, that faction will take over the Inner-sphere. They have to know that or at least plan for that. They also said in that same interview that "type" of worlds can change so a core can be a border and so forth.

Here is another quote that answers my question. Kind of funny and it kind of shows who is the real boss.

Will you have PvE elements on MechWarrior Online?

[PAUL] I may or may not pass out depending on Bryan’s answer to this.
[BRYAN] Not at launch. We're looking at ways to incorporate PVE post launch and withing the framwork of the MWO concept.

I am not seeing how you can do that after launch but then again I am writing on the forum instead of creating the game so, I hope they figure it out.

#17 Durant Carlyle

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

View PostAdino, on 03 February 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

I also think they can do some "Eve" type crafting. Have blueprints and skills to read those prints and skills to make the modules and skills to put them on mechs. I also think that crafting system if they are going to have one has to be implemented from the start.

No, this will not be part of the game. We are MechWarriors, people who get into large war machines and duke it out against other large war machines for control of territory. There will be no blueprints, no crafting, no such skills.

That kind of thing will all be done behind the scenes without any possible interference from us.

#18 Opus

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,670 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

If your set on Story line MW as the previous games have been based, I doubt that sort of PVE is in store for us,

but a Expanding game thread based on Combat results, Actions, Contracts, and Affiliations in a static universe, where you can expand to new worlds ( servers so to say ) and push the the PVE into such static things as; dropship trips, base development, Mech repair facilities, yada yada yada...

I would rather have a active universe where what I decide; makes and creates new opportunities or threats

#19 Adino

    Member

  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostOpus, on 03 February 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

If your set on Story line MW as the previous games have been based, I doubt that sort of PVE is in store for us,

but a Expanding game thread based on Combat results, Actions, Contracts, and Affiliations in a static universe, where you can expand to new worlds ( servers so to say ) and push the the PVE into such static things as; dropship trips, base development, Mech repair facilities, yada yada yada...

I would rather have a active universe where what I decide; makes and creates new opportunities or threats


The more I read the more I am inclined to believe that any type of traditional PvE in a classic MMO style is not going to happen. However, I do like your suggestions of planet development. Instead of just winning a planet and hopping to the next I hope there are mechanisms that allows one to keep that planet other than your clan being the best players. Such as drop ships, repair bays, resource allocation, support assests like tanks and air barage. That way one can expand the game into not just match play, but a little environment as well. Example: If you want to oust the Clan Jenner out of a planet you have to attack their main base on that planet and that base has turrets and air superiority. Not only do you have to blow up their mechs you got to take out the turrets, sat systems, and radio tower.

#20 Paul Inouye

    Lead Designer

  • Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

You guys do know that Russ... who posted in this thread... owns this company and stated what's up right? Right?!!? :D

hahaha





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users