Why developers continue to demonize Capellan Confederation?

249 replies to this topic

#1 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 04 February 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Sat. Feb 04, 3049: Duchess Candace's monthly address calling for the removal of her sister, Chancellor Romano Liao, particularly impassioned.

After reading today's news, I've returned to an old sad thought of mine, that ridiculously demonized Liao and Capellan Confederation is consequence of continuos information war. Previously I took it as heritage of 80s, cold war and so on, shadows of old fears reflected in the game lore to say.
I was pleased by 'Mech #5 announcement, which included different points of views from different Houses' military advisers, so I hoped that MWO storywriters will continue please us with complicated intrigues. Now I see that tendency of demonizing one side to make formally appropriate target for every narrow-minded human-beings isn't come to the end.

So I have two questions:
  • Do you think that devs lead us to strong polarity white/black in MWO factions? If yes - what's thier goal? (by polarity I don't mean enmity of factions came from the lore)
  • Do you think it is possible, that PGI will continue legitimating aggression against Capellan Confederation by publishing only anti-CC posts?

I don't need CC painted in white, I just would prefer to read the same news with source mentioned, i.e. some pro-Davion news agency, that would dot all the "i"s.

P.S. If your allegiance isn't with CC, please keep conversation in the thread constructive.

#2 Hannes

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationStuttgart, Germany

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

I dont feel the "Anti-CC" of this post, just the anti Romano Liao.
We all know shes a crazy ....... ;D

I think this post sums up Candaces monthly address, so its just objective writing.

No Anti-CC in this post

#3 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

Honestly, it's because the canon has already been laid down for this time period. Now, if a game were to take place beyond or out of this time period, you might have a more valid point (that is not to say it's not important to consider and be brought to attention,) but the current Liao leadership is already set in stone. Sun-Tzu won't take over few a bit, and Romano is quite insane. There's a reason the Capellans of this time period are demonized, and this news flash was aimed at the leadership, not at the actual citizens. Candace is a Capellan, and I'm pro Candace, even if she scedes St.Ives. She does it for the good of the people. Her, and her children like Kai, show how good and strong Capellan's can be, if the Confederation could only get away from insane leadership.

Now, that's just based on their leadership. The whole of the Confederation isn't bad, but unless you get something like the 'mech release packets or something not dealing with the direct politics of the CC, you're probably going to get the heavy CC media bias unless said article is written from a CC perspective. That said, seeing a bit more diverse sources of media wouldn't be bad, though there's still going to be plenty in lore that's going to point a lot of flack fluff wise at the Confederation. Also depends on how they handle the St.Ives stuff.

Of 'course, there's a good bit other nations have flubbed up too :o

Edited by Jack Gallows, 04 February 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#4 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

I've only supposed, that anti-CC news might appear in future, never said that about today's news.

View PostHannes, on 04 February 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

so its just objective writing.

How did you get that it was objective writing, I wonder? Was it a scientific experiment with fixed conditions in a laboratory, allowing to get measurable and thus objective result? Or?

No anti-LA in my post either, cheers :o

Edited by IxxxI, 04 February 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#5 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostIxxxI, on 04 February 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

After reading today's news, I've returned to an old sad thought of mine, that ridiculously demonized Liao and Capellan Confederation is consequence of continuos information war. Previously I took it as heritage of 80s, cold war and so on, shadows of old fears reflected in the game lore to say.
I was pleased by 'Mech #5 announcement, which included different points of views from different Houses' military advisers, so I hoped that MWO storywriters will continue please us with complicated intrigues. Now I see that tendency of demonizing one side to make formally appropriate target for every narrow-minded human-beings isn't come to the end.

So I have two questions:
  • Do you think that devs lead us to strong polarity white/black in MWO factions? If yes - what's thier goal? (by polarity I don't mean enmity of factions came from the lore)
  • Do you think it is possible, that PGI will continue legitimating aggression against Capellan Confederation by publishing only anti-CC posts?
I don't need CC painted in white, I just would prefer to read the same news with source mentioned, i.e. some pro-Davion news agency, that would dot all the "i"s.

P.S. If your allegiance isn't with CC, please keep conversation in the thread constructive.

They're demonized, but at least they have a state. St. Ives Compact? Nope. Nothing.

But in all seriousness, I think they're just trying to go with the flow as canon goes. Romano Liao was infamous, and they're depicting her in this light for good reason *looks at the charred remains of the Cataphract design team with pity*.

#6 Alexander Caine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

As said, in this period the Confederation is led by VERY bad people. We aren't talking "depends on your point of view", or "only their enemies say that" bad. We're talking full on, Stalinist purge, mass murdering, window licking mental cases.

The article doesn't condemn or demonize the Confederation at all, just Romano. Who really, really deserves it.

#7 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

Ha, welcome, Jack Gallows, it's a pleasure to talk with you. I don't have much objections to your post, keeping in mind your clearly stated opinion and allegiance, but I'd like to point at one small thing, I was already talking about:
Inner Sphere News should mention media source where from information was recieved. That's what makes the difference.

Edited by IxxxI, 04 February 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#8 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostAlexander Caine, on 04 February 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

As said, in this period the Confederation is led by VERY bad people. We aren't talking "depends on your point of view", or "only their enemies say that" bad. We're talking full on, Stalinist purge, mass murdering, window licking mental cases.

The article doesn't condemn or demonize the Confederation at all, just Romano. Who really, really deserves it.

You talking about 'righ now' situation, it may lead to foreign intervention, Davions were always eager "to deliver democracy" to thier neighborhoods.Calculate few steps ahead, don't fix your gaze on past. If sanctified by the only mass media we have (Inner Sphere News), invasion to Capella worlds might lead to zealous imbalance in MWO. I don't even know why I'm bothered about that tonight :o, maybe I'm still angry on Paul's teasing:

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 February 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

You guys are silly! :unsure:

Spoiler

or maybe I'm too bored waiting for fight and need to grumble a little.

Edited by IxxxI, 04 February 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#9 Alexander Caine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

View PostIxxxI, on 04 February 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

You talking about 'righ now' situation, it may lead to foreign intervention, Davions were always eager "to deliver democracy" to thier neighborhoods.Calculate few steps ahead, don't fix your gaze on past. If sanctified by the only mass media we have (Inner Sphere News), invasion to Capella worlds might lead to zealous imbalance in MWO. I don't even know why I'm bothered about that tonight :o, maybe I'm still angry on Paul's teasing:

I understand what you're saying, but the in character news releases can't exactly go into the future....they have no idea at this point what will happen. For all they know, Romano has many long (and brutally violent) years ahead of her yet.

#10 FireNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

After reading today's news, I've returned to an old sad thought of mine, that ridiculously demonized Liao and Capellan Confederation is consequence of continuos information war.

Now you know how us Jaguar fans feel. :o

#11 FireNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostIxxxI, on 04 February 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

If sanctified by the only mass media we have (ComStar)....

Fixed. :o

#12 FireNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

Highly likely no doubt. Lets face it, Davions are to the Alliance (topdogs) in WoW as Capellan Confederation is to the Horde (underdogs). Whereas Wolves are the Davions of the Clans (lets face it...LOTS of Wolf subfactions that everyone and their dog loves in BT...lol) vs Smoke Jaguars are the Liao of the Clans (just barely alive/survived if you count Dark Age lore).

Its just a fact that most people like the super charged "good guy" factions and the underdogs will be the punching bag. This goes for any game really. I too would like to have a balanced game/fiction but as long as people want to support "TEH TOPDAWG" faction(s), I really doubt it IMHO.

#13 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

View PostIxxxI, on 04 February 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

Ha, welcome, Jack Gallows, it's a pleasure to talk with you. I don't have much objections to your post, keeping in mind your clearly stated opinion and allegiance, but I'd like to point at one small thing, I was already talking about:
Inner Sphere News should mention media source where from information was recieved. That's what makes the difference.

They probably should, but that may depend on how they feel about picking out their news casters/writers for fear of retaliation if someone doesn't like what's being said, truth or not. Like I said, every House has done really horrible things, it's just that right now Romano isn't the most tactful woman =\ I assume that we'll start seeing a lot more favorable CC related new casts as her son takes leadership, followed probably by more demonizing depending on peoples view of the St.Ives conflict.

I don't really have any problems with the Capellan Confederation, regardless of my House allegiance.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 04 February 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#14 Lima Zulu

Russian Community Champion

• 1,971 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Well, I believe, some geopolitic is involved too. China never was a best friend to any other nation, and it's probably second powerfull nation in modern world, as it was at 1984, when BattleTech was created. I believe, there was no USSR-like faction (if we not counting Clans as this one) in BattleTech, just because it would be same bipolar universe as a real world was till 1991. But of course, if there are western europe-like faction (Lyran) and anglosaxon-like faction (Davion), we need something to counter. Ad now we comes to Kipling's well-known poem:

OH, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God’s great Judgment Seat;

So, what do we have here? Japan-like Combine, which isn't really SO bad with all those samurai spirit and other things. Btw, Japan is an ally to the US and Europe after WW2 - quite a reason, yeah? Then, a really BAD part comes to the second "eastern" factions - chinese-like CC, well-known for being ancient and sneaky aswell. Eastern, totalitarian, well-armed, very xenophobiс... And if it weren't enough - let's add a byzantine russians to this mix!
So, the goal is achieved - Inner Sphere isn't bipolar, but there are Very Good, Quite Good, Neutral, a Bit Bad, and Bloody Bad factions to keep balance.
And a word about St.Ives - of course, we not gonna tell all those СС guys are bad in nature - so c'mon, get rid of your mad rulers and join Light Side of the Force with Shiny House Davion! Only Godlike Davions can guide you to be good! Good cappelans - pro-Davion cappelans. Bah...

Nothing made in real world can be absolutely free of real word's pattern... It's not good, it's not bad. It's just a fact. World has changed, but echoes of 1984 is still sound in BattleTech universe.

P.S. I didn't want to hurt any people or any nation or anything else with this post, and all descriptions I've made are based not on real coutries, but mostly on widespread stereotypes.

Edited by Lima Zulu, 04 February 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#15 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

They are only following the canon lore....to enhance game play.

It will however, not determine the outcome of our battles.

I guarantee you, there is not a CCAF member I know, that will show up to play and be told to lose.

So....let the Devs tell their stories, and follow the timeline....at GAME launch, My fellow Capellans......WE WILL MAKE OUR OWN HISTORY !

Edited by Metro, 05 February 2012 - 07:24 AM.

#16 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:12 AM

View PostMetro, on 05 February 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

So....let the Devs tell their stories, and follow the timeline....at GAME launch, My fellow Capellans......WE WILL MAKE OUR OWN HISTORY !

And you are officialy kicked from beta if Paul reads this. :D

#17 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Romano Liao might be a bit ... strict ... in her way of ruling the Confederation, but she has taken great efforts in strengthening our nation.

#18 Mims

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

Matters not where you stand now, but where you stand in June 3052.

#19 Petroff Northrup

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

FedCom and Comstar in canon at this point pretty much control the news for the most part and the news is generally shown from an in-universe perspective so we will likely see some 'demonizing' though i do not feel the most recent entry is really falling into that category.

#20 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

I don't like the Capellans because of the Capellan Solution books. That's all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users