Founders Pack for those not in the Beta

81 replies to this topic

#1 RedWolfz0r

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

Ok, so I signed up as soon as I heard about MWO. I reserved my pilot name. Then I have heard no information at all until these Founders packs were announced and I received an email about them.

This is a huge PR disaster. I would be more than willing to spend $120 on a Founders Pack if I knew what I was getting. However my beta status is "Pending" and everyone involved in the beta is under NDA, so I am basically being asked to pre-order an expensive game I have seen no information about.

I love the idea of MWO, but if you want my money (and I know for a fact a lot of my WoT clan mates feel the same way) then let me try the game before I invest in it.

#2 Tymanthius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

So, this is a troll right? The forums have loads of info. Check the pinned topics. Check the Dev forums - espeically the Q&A stuff. Check the announcments.

I get bored, so I feed trolls sometimes. I should quit that.

#3 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

Purchasing a Founder's pack (which, doesn't have to cost $120, by the way) is no different than going into GameStop (or some other store), and pre-ordering a title your excited about.. GuildWars 2, The Secret World, World Of Warcraft, COD, Modern Warfare, The Sims, Madden, etc..etc..

Do you try every game before you pre-order?

#4 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

View PostMal, on 23 June 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Purchasing a Founder's pack (which, doesn't have to cost $120, by the way) is no different than going into GameStop (or some other store), and pre-ordering a title your excited about.. GuildWars 2, The Secret World, World Of Warcraft, COD, Modern Warfare, The Sims, Madden, etc..etc..

Well, to be fair, most of those are $5 down or so, or no money down, pay when the game comes out. This is pre-paying, but otherwise the same.

#5 enderphoenix

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

In addition, you are not asked to pre-order an expensive game. While the benefits of the Founder's packs make starting off easier, they will not be a pay-to-win but definitely a progression assistance tool. And since this game is F2P, there is no need to buy a founders pack. And like Tymanthius stated, there's plenty of informative posts in the forums much less a typical google search. And I do not see spending this this money as a pre-order, I see it as investing in this game's future and helping fund the devs on something they have been working on for quite some time.

#6 Saevus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationRight side of Upside down

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

There are gameplay videos, interviews, blogs, forum post.....all sorts of information. The game is still in closed Beta, sorry you can't play, but buying a founders pack lets you get into beta on Aug. 7th, so that's as close as you can get I suppose. Sorry you didn't win the closed beta lottery, like you know...the rest of us. Founders packs are just Collectors Editions really, if you don't want that, then wait for the open beta. After you've played the game for a bit in open beta, you can take $30 or $60 or $120 and invest it in the game then, buy some hangar spaces, a couple mechs, load yourself up on premium time. It'll all even out. ;)

#7 Helvetica

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

there is plenty out there, on many many Game sites even youtube about the game, google knows i cry inside everytime this is posted.

#8 Badfinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationAnunnaki Empire, Planet Nibiru

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

Wake up from you nap! read --> http://mwomercs.com/...mous-with-risk/

#9 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostAym, on 23 June 2012 - 10:13 AM, said:

Well, to be fair, most of those are $5 down or so, or no money down, pay when the game comes out. This is pre-paying, but otherwise the same.

Ehh.. same concept. GW2 for example is/was pushing pre-purchases very hard..not just pre-orders.. I tend to pay for my pre-orders in full when I do it, makes picking them up faster ;)

#10 Jubub

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

You mean this founder's pack?!?
8-]

#11 Juiced

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

Dont buy a founders pack then. When they game comes out it is free to play. Play it for a while and then decide if its worth using the cash store.

#12 Chief 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 479 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

This is more about whether you are willing to support the people who took up the huge responsibility of re-surfacing a rather old, yet still very popular, franchise, and for that I gave them my money ;)

#13 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

well my search fu must be weak then because I can't seem to find anything about the actual mechanics of the game outside of the skill tree. everything else is silly questions, artwork, or descriptions on how classes will be played.

Also I'd like to make a note that the people rabidly attacking others for asking questions come from two types outside of those contracted to do so,

those who have made investments, thus defending what they have invested no matter how right or wrong

and those too poor to invest, but fancy themselves as an investor in whatever fantasy land concotion their ego has created. see: poor people defending the rich for attacking the poor.

both are a form of ignorance, and while i'll most likely get attacked in the same drone fashion it's of no consequence because it's rather hilarious albiet a little pathetic.

I will not support something that I know so little about, and making attacks will not encourage me to spend anything anytime soon. oh and inb4 a community member defends the developers by saying "fine don't spend anything *****, we don't need your money anyway". lol.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 23 June 2012 - 10:43 AM.

#14 monev

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEastern US

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostChief 117, on 23 June 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

This is more about whether you are willing to support the people who took up the huge responsibility of re-surfacing a rather old, yet still very popular, franchise, and for that I gave them my money

Yeah i'd say im in that boat.

But toRedWolfz0r's point, for a retail purchase of a game I almost always wait for reviews and such of a game before I put my money down. (except Diablo3 which i had preordered in full in 2008) For MWO I was extreamly excited about it from the first moment i'd hear about it and then information i've been getting form froums/vidoes seems to be nothing but good news, but there's still a lot in the way of levleing progression, matchmaking, and how story elements work into the game. that i havn't even found hints of yet. I'm sure there are some in the fourms, but theres a lot of posts to comb through.

So that lack of information is temporing my wallet a bit. But since all the information I DO HAVE is good, and I'm just psyched for the game existing at all. I'm willing to go Elite, But until I get more complete information, I'm not ready to go Legendary.

Edited by monev, 23 June 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#15 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 23 June 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

I will not support something that I know so little about, and making attacks will not encourage me to spend anything anytime soon. oh and inb4 a community member defends the developers by saying "fine don't spend anything *****, we don't need your money anyway". lol.

What attacks? All the responses in this thread have either asked relevant questions, or directed the OP to look at existing information to decide if they wanted to purchase a Founder's Pack...

#16 Red Lord

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

I think what he is saying that as he has not played the game at all he has no idea how the mechs handle so to be sure he gets one he wants he as to pay 120 big ones just to be sure he can use one of them, I know the feeling in the same boat, playing mech warrior 4 will give you some idea of what you want. But generally it comes down to speed and turning, the lighter the mech the faster it moves and turns, the heavy mechs lose the speed and turning rate for more Armour and weapons. So I would say play a little mw4 mercs is probably best, find what style works best for you, and then at least you have an educated guess of what style you are it's what I did. The only other thing is that each has a role and the mech is designed to do that specially, example the catapult is a support mech so if you like raining down lrms this is the mech for you. Best bet check the description of the mechs on I think it is battletech wiki, should give you a description of the mech and a list of variants which I think they are putting in. Hope this helped if not just ignore the whole thing.

#17 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

You know, there a literally a dozen of threads about the EXACT SAME topic ? Dont even need to use search, They are still on the first 2, 3 pages of the Gen Discussion overview.

ALL the concerns and complaints have been read ( and I mean ALL, nothing left anyone could conceivably come up with as new...), and myriads of answers have been posted.

Tired of it.

/thread

Edited by Besh, 23 June 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#18 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostTehbob, on 23 June 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

Dont buy a founders pack then. When they game comes out it is free to play. Play it for a while and then decide if its worth using the cash store.

View PostBadfinger, on 23 June 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

Wake up from you nap! read --> http://mwomercs.com/...mous-with-risk/

View PostHelvetica, on 23 June 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

there is plenty out there, on many many Game sites even youtube about the game, google knows i cry inside everytime this is posted.

View PostSaevus, on 23 June 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

There are gameplay videos, interviews, blogs, forum post.....all sorts of information. The game is still in closed Beta, sorry you can't play, but buying a founders pack lets you get into beta on Aug. 7th, so that's as close as you can get I suppose. Sorry you didn't win the closed beta lottery, like you know...the rest of us. Founders packs are just Collectors Editions really, if you don't want that, then wait for the open beta. After you've played the game for a bit in open beta, you can take $30 or $60 or $120 and invest it in the game then, buy some hangar spaces, a couple mechs, load yourself up on premium time. It'll all even out. ;)

View Postenderphoenix, on 23 June 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

In addition, you are not asked to pre-order an expensive game. While the benefits of the Founder's packs make starting off easier, they will not be a pay-to-win but definitely a progression assistance tool. And since this game is F2P, there is no need to buy a founders pack. And like Tymanthius stated, there's plenty of informative posts in the forums much less a typical google search. And I do not see spending this this money as a pre-order, I see it as investing in this game's future and helping fund the devs on something they have been working on for quite some time.

View PostMal, on 23 June 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

View PostTymanthius, on 23 June 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

So, this is a troll right? The forums have loads of info. Check the pinned topics. Check the Dev forums - espeically the Q&A stuff. Check the announcments.

I get bored, so I feed trolls sometimes. I should quit that.

those attacks. Although I admit they are shaped in the form of justifications and are more along the line of defensive statements to protect a purchasing decision, they are essentially telling people who want more information that they should shut up and go away because HOW DARE THEY ask questions. It's a good thing none of you represent the official opinion of the company because what you're doing is bad for business.

oh and look another one in the time it took me to post this

View PostBesh, on 23 June 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

You know, there a literally a dozen of threads about the EXACT SAME topic ? Dont even need to use search, They are still on the first 2, 3 pages of the Gen Discussion overview.

ALL the concerns and complaints have been read ( and I mean ALL, nothing left anyone could conceivable come up with as new...), and myriads of answers have been posted.

Tired of it.

/thread

well if they've replied to basically EVERYTHING then why don't you prove it? because i've been searching for over an hour and my previous questions still stand.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 23 June 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#19 Tymanthius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

BattleCruiser: You are right that there isn't a lot on mechanics. I wish there was more. However, the OP said "Then I have heard no information at all until these Founders packs were announced and I received an email about them."

I will grant you that I don't sign up for emails, so I have no idea what emails were sent out. However, he was aware of the boards, so he could have easily, before posting, learned a few things. So I called him a troll.

As for defending my investment. I don't. I did what I wanted. I encourage others to do what they want.

I TRY to respond with facts. Mostly I think I succeed. I might even be right. That's not rabidly attacking anyone. (albiet calling a troll a troll still isn't polite really)

Added after BC's 2nd post. Honestly, only my 1st post could really be classed as an attack. The worst the others were is not as polite as possible.

So now we have 2 trolls. Yay! Where are the Billy Goats Gruff when you need them?

Edited by Tymanthius, 23 June 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#20 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 23 June 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

well if they've replied to basically EVERYTHING then why don't you prove it? because i've been searching for over an hour and my previous questions still stand.

I was referring to OPs statement about his grief with the Founders pack in general, and his statement of "if you want my money, you better let me try the game first." I wasnt referring to explanations of game mechanics.

He also did not mention anything about "game meachnics" in OP, just stated "I am basically being asked to pre-order an expensive game I have seen no information about." . Whats the Problem there ? NO, youre NOT asked ! Its an OFFER !!! Take it or leave it. Why complain ???

And if you havent seen anything about MW:O yet, strange rly, wouldnt be so hard, what with the Videos, the Dev Blogs, the Q&As etc.etc.etc...

In addition, in ref to his attitude of "let me try it or i wont pay" Im going to reference this

http://mwomercs.com/...post__p__441829

where I posted a few thoughts that might be novel.

Generally speaking, I simply can not understand how someone can feel the urge to post on game forums nothing but a complaint about why hes not spending money...fine! Dont then! Wait and see...then spend if you wish...why the need to complain ?

But, as I have posted above: all this has been discussed to worlds end last 48 hrs....really NO need to go through it again.

Edited by Besh, 23 June 2012 - 11:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users