#21 Scar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostSeth Deathstalker, on 22 February 2012 - 07:37 AM, said:

Again. I don't really know what the big deal is. Use a joystick in your left hand for movement. You get forward/backward, turning right/left, torso turning, looking up/down, jump jets control, crouch, stand up. What else do you want more. With the mouse in the right hand you get aiming, shooting, firing solution. That leaves the keyboard for the tiny rest.

Yes, it may work, but only in the case when MWO is utilizing "push-to-go" control system, just like any other 3D-shooter/action do. In case of classic throttle control, when you're pressing the throttle button or move the throttle handle to get on the fixed speed level, it just won't work - because you can't clearly affect only one axis without the 2nd be affected as well. It will cause such a noise/drag that your Mech will become uncontrollable. You can check the 2nd case in the MWLL even right now.

Again, it's a lose-lose situation for the stick - or it's unnecessary or just doesn't work => stick is not needed in both cases => save those 50 bucks, spend it on another things.

Edited by Scar, 22 February 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#22 Nicole Metal

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hmmmmm not really a debate that I wanted to start but good points on all. Free roam reticule is really what this is all revolving around, or so that is my point on it. And portability for some, what about those mouses that have like 12 buttons on the side of them, because I dont know about some of you but every now and then when using a mouse and key I find myself glancing down to see in my fingers are in the right spot, now in a PvE situation that is not to bad but PvP could mean death, I am just trying to look at somthing for ease of control and play.....

#23 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

View PostNicole Metal, on 22 February 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

what about those mouses that have like 12 buttons on the side of them, because I dont know about some of you but every now and then when using a mouse and key I find myself glancing down to see in my fingers are in the right spot

Depends on what functions you planned to bind on these 12-buttons - because it still take a time for my thumb to find the button i need on my Razer Naga. Razer Nostromo keypad provides significantly faster reaction because your four fingers are lying at the buttons and you can hit'em fast and even all at the one time.

The mouse i'd advise you for MWO - any model from the Saitek Cyborg(ex'MadCatz) mice line. They're very handy, with 4-8 quick reaction buttons. Naga is for MMO - not for the shooter/action games.

#24 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

View PostMordhar, on 21 February 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

Controls simplicity may as well be “key to failure”.
Some people (myself included) wait for MW:O because they still have some hope that this game will be simulator. And simulator, even “pseudosim” like MW3, must have as much control options as possible. This is what makes sim genre unique. In true simulator games (DCS, MSFS, LFS) KB+Mouse combo is supported, but almost completely unplayable.

I really hope for at least same level of controls as in MW3. And, as the best possible variant – requirement for joystick and additional control devices, like separate throttle or pedals.

Actually for a f2p, making the the game unplayable with a KB/M combo is a path to failure. You have to make it playable to the casual who drops in with no special equipment or it'll never take off.

#25 Morgana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCleaning 10-year old dust out of Cockpit!

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 28 February 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

Actually for a f2p, making the the game unplayable with a KB/M combo is a path to failure. You have to make it playable to the casual who drops in with no special equipment or it'll never take off.

I totally agree with you! Especially in this economy. Peeps who have been laid off or lost their jobs, will have alot of time on their hands, but obviously no money to invest in extravagant peripherals.

#26 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 28 February 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

LOL. doesn't MATTER. the KB/Mouse player will be EPIC cannon fodder of thermon00bular proportions, regardless. Set the bar with JS/Throttle/Rudders. Look at Freelancer. TO THIS DAY there are people who still ask for JS support on that worthless KB/Mouse format. It failed because it went from sim to casual. I WANT SIM NOT ARCRAP ARCADE. I've played a history of sims. If this goes from sim to arcade, count me in the ranks of the mob with torches and pichforks angrily marching towards what will have been PGI. Motivating me thusly, is beyond extremely hard to do.

Oh, and IF you plan on going Thrustmaster Hotas... plan on frequently replacing it about every 3 months of solid mech play. It will lose a definative center on the joystick fast. It'll be like pushing a wobbly noodle to find center. The rudders are worse. I constantly have to apply left pressure to go straight. That was OUT of the box. Have yet to pull one out with a straight rudder. Better to save up and buy a real flight sim rig with a warranty than replace it up to three times a year. The TM Hotas is cheap, yeah, but you unfortunately get what you pay for.

Edited by Insidious Johnson, 29 February 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#27 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

View PostInsidious Johnson, on 28 February 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

I WANT SIM NOT ARCRAP ARCADE.

Man, it's quite a hard goal - to simulate the object which even doesn't exist. You may play Steel Beasts, Orbiter or MS Space Simulator(at least in part of real spaceships, with the real Newton physics) with KB+mouse - and they will be the simulators anyway. And you may play the X-wing Alliance or MW with the full set of joysticks - but for me it's not the simulator anyway.

Simulator - it's not about controlling devices, but first of all about the object's physical and functional model. So, KB+mouse or stick/throttle/pedals- it doesn't matter.

#28 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

Ah, I love the intentionally obtuse post as a random tribute to attempted purile cuteness. Sim is a reference to the format of the game, as is arcade. But since you already know that, herpa derpa senor sherpa. Now go ask your dad why you look like the mailman. :)

Edited by Insidious Johnson, 01 March 2012 - 12:25 AM.

#29 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

yeah, and this format of game describes that you can't simulate the thing which even doesn't exist - because by your logic of the "game format" we can describe the WoW as a simulator of orks and mages. If to say particularly about the "space simulators" - there is only two of them, which has been named in my previous post, all the others - action games or arcade shooters, just like the MW.

Here is the space sim game: Orbiter
Here is the space shooter / action / arcade game: X3: Terran Conflict

Both of them are supporting the sticks, having huge number of keys in the layout and view from cockpit. But 2nd never will be the space sim game. Learn the difference, kid.

Now, go ask your farther - why is you look like the clown.

#30 Matthew Lee Cooper

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostNicole Metal, on 21 February 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

Ok I need an opinion on this, I was looking into an easier way to control a mech when game comes out, I think there is a thread but I am not looking through 50 pages to find it Posted Image This handy tool is actually for flight sim games but I kind of like it, has all the buttons you need for torso twist and jump jets and I am not to sure but if you see the little knoby thing where thumb goes, if you are crafty maybe control reticule with that if it is a free roam similar to MW3. This is a Cyborg- X Flight Stick that runs you about 45 dollars via Best Buy online, you can also look at its more simpliar counter part the Cyborg V.1 flight stick that will run you less then 20 dollars, you can look that one up yourself. Anyway what is your take on it????

Posted Image

i have the old grand dad too this controller. it may lack a few of the buttons so i may have to upgrade. how much is the newer cyborg worth in $ ?

#31 Matthew Lee Cooper

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

the thing i used to like about piloting mechs was that they were just so much more satisfying to use for me than jets, helicopters or tanks. all the large games are first person shooters now. the only one's i found worth playing, were the battle field games from ea. mostly because of all the weapons and vehicles, with lots of customisability. still nothing fills the neish of essentially being a giant walking robot, blazing with weapons. it still brings out the kid in me. the one that used to love building things from lego and blowing them up, then rebuilding them in a newer better or just different way. p.s some times pieces went missing.

#32 Matthew Lee Cooper

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostScar, on 29 February 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

Man, it's quite a hard goal - to simulate the object which even doesn't exist. You may play Steel Beasts, Orbiter or MS Space Simulator(at least in part of real spaceships, with the real Newton physics) with KB+mouse - and they will be the simulators anyway. And you may play the X-wing Alliance or MW with the full set of joysticks - but for me it's not the simulator anyway.

Simulator - it's not about controlling devices, but first of all about the object's physical and functional model. So, KB+mouse or stick/throttle/pedals- it doesn't matter.
p.s just think of the mech that you are piloting as being a giant metal version of yourself. with guns for arms, rochet pods for shoulders the cockpit, pilot seat as your head/brain, and the torso as your chest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users