Perfect control

31 replies to this topic

#1 Nicole Metal

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

Ok I need an opinion on this, I was looking into an easier way to control a mech when game comes out, I think there is a thread but I am not looking through 50 pages to find it :P This handy tool is actually for flight sim games but I kind of like it, has all the buttons you need for torso twist and jump jets and I am not to sure but if you see the little knoby thing where thumb goes, if you are crafty maybe control reticule with that if it is a free roam similar to MW3. This is a Cyborg- X Flight Stick that runs you about 45 dollars via Best Buy online, you can also look at its more simpliar counter part the Cyborg V.1 flight stick that will run you less then 20 dollars, you can look that one up yourself. Anyway what is your take on it????

Posted Image

#2 Fluffinator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 132 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

You need 2 directional controls can be sticks pads etc. One for movement one for aim/turret. Sadly since the xbox controller was designed around this very thing...it would be quite effective if the game supports macroing weapons sets to the buttons.

#3 FinnMcKool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

I have to admit that Im wondering about whether to use a joy stick or stick to what I always used before (a good mouse and key board game pad thingy I got )

I used just a keyboard for Mechwarrior 2 and Mechwarrior 2 Merc. (by the way there was 2 versions of MW2 Merc.s )

Mechwarrior 3 I started to use a mouse ,

I have an older Cyborg , it is a great stick , I also have a couple of the logiteks, the logiteks for some odd reason seemed to wear out or they just didnt work the same after a year or so.

#4 Nicole Metal

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

IDK personally I played MW3 with a very basic joy stick and I was quite effective all you need really is torso twist and a williy nilly accelerater control and you will be good, that is if that have similar to real phisics in this game aka a fast moving 50 ton mech needs to take a wider arch for a turn then a slow moving 50 ton mech

#5 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

The ultimate control...

http://www.logitech....ks/devices/5855

#6 Strattus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 106 posts
  • LocationKazakhstan

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

I personally like the torso twist for simplicity.... I am not, however, a fan of the free roaming reticule from MW3... legging, anyone?

#7 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

Ironically, stick is the last thing that you need for MW-like games - mouse do the job in a million times more precise and faster than any stick, even top-end CH and TM ones. At the same time, you rather need a stand-alone throttle control and pedals, than a stick - for the movement control. But even these are not necessary and saying about myself - while i have a full CH Products Pro set, for MWLL i'm using keyboard+mouse and find them the best controllers for Mech.

Finally, i'm pretty sure that Devs do realize that controls simplicity is a key feature for the MWO success on the market. So, i can bet that in-game controls will be optimized primarily for the KB+mice, just like in one, not named, but pretty successful F2P game where you drive and fight on the t...tractors! :P

Edited by Scar, 21 February 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#8 Fluffinator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 132 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostScar, on 21 February 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Ironically, stick is the last thing that you need for MW-like games - mouse do the job in a million times more precise and faster than any stick, even top-end CH and TM ones. At the same time, you rather need a stand-alone throttle control and pedals, than a stick - for the movement control. But even these are not necessary and saying about myself - while i have a full CH Products Pro set, for MWLL i'm using keyboard+mouse and find them the best controllers for Mech.

Finally, i'm pretty sure that Devs do realize that controls simplicity is a key feature for the MWO success on the market. So, i can bet that in-game controls will be optimized primarily for the KB+mice, just like in one, not named, but pretty successful F2P game where you drive and fight on the t...tractors! :P

Sorry dual stick/pad controls have been very common since halo1 and before. To say thats too complicated for this game is to say it belongs in the 1990s. For that matter even in Mechwarrior one I used http://pictures.todo...09/24621167.jpg where the thing on the left sidewas your left right turn...or was it mechwarrior 2? either way it was a long friggin time ago.

Edited by Fluffinator, 21 February 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#9 Mordhar

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 69 posts
  • LocationChelyabinsk, Russia

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostScar, on 21 February 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Controls simplicity may as well be “key to failure”.
Some people (myself included) wait for MW:O because they still have some hope that this game will be simulator. And simulator, even “pseudosim” like MW3, must have as much control options as possible. This is what makes sim genre unique. In true simulator games (DCS, MSFS, LFS) KB+Mouse combo is supported, but almost completely unplayable.

I really hope for at least same level of controls as in MW3. And, as the best possible variant – requirement for joystick and additional control devices, like separate throttle or pedals.

#10 Arnold Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • LocationBielefeld, NRW, Germany

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

Currently I'm using the "Attack 3" from Logitech. Even if I'd love to have a Thrustmaster "Hotas Cougar" or "Hotas Warthog", they'll hellish expensive. Until WinXP and now 7 I had the Thrustmaster "Attack Throttle" bundled with a "Top Gun" stick. It served me very well for a long time. Though I like more to have a seperated Stick and Throttle, I plan to obtain the more inexpensive "T.Flight Hotas X" (http://www.thrustmas...tflight-hotas-x) for MWO. The less money I had to spent on a new stick the more can go into MWO. :P

View PostMordhar, on 21 February 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

...This is what makes sim genre unique. In true simulator games (DCS, MSFS, LFS) KB+Mouse combo is supported, but almost completely unplayable.

DCS almost lets you do the 10-finger-splits: "press ALT+Shift+F12 + K to toggle X" :)

And even IF MWO doesn't natively support Joystick/Throttles (which I doubt), there's always the "Joy to Key" proggy which let's you map your mouseaxes/keystrokes to the stick. Played Battlestar Galactica Online that way.

Edited by Arnold Carns, 21 February 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#11 Knoxville

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

Intuitive controls and the ability to play using standard hardware (i.e. mouse and keyboard) is a necessity because it lowers the investment people need to lay out in order to play. Don't get me wrong, I used to play MW2, MW2: Mercs, and MW3 with joystick, throttle, and pedals and would hope people that choose to play with that hardware still can, but I like the idea that people new to sims and the franchise can install and give it a go with whatever they already have at their desk. Ultimately our hope should be that neither group is penalized on the basis of control hardware.

#12 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostNicole Metal, on 21 February 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

Ok I need an opinion on this, I was looking into an easier way to control a mech when game comes out, I think there is a thread but I am not looking through 50 pages to find it :P This handy tool is actually for flight sim games but I kind of like it, has all the buttons you need for torso twist and jump jets and I am not to sure but if you see the little knoby thing where thumb goes, if you are crafty maybe control reticule with that if it is a free roam similar to MW3. This is a Cyborg- X Flight Stick that runs you about 45 dollars via Best Buy online, you can also look at its more simpliar counter part the Cyborg V.1 flight stick that will run you less then 20 dollars, you can look that one up yourself. Anyway what is your take on it????

Posted Image

I would highly recommend against those two sticks.

I had Cyborg V.1 and it was easily the worst stick Ive ever used. The stick is straight up and down non ergonomic which was uncomfortableafter a short time playing, the buttons were not firm and snappped off after a while, the throttle was placed awkwardly on the base and lost all its resistance quickly so it literally would not stay in position and fall over to one side or the other. The exposed spring was annoying to me as well. It felt like it was pushing unevenly on the base of the stick. The built in adjustability on the upper buttons and palm rest couldnt compensate for these issues and actually made the stick feel more fragile. Ive demo'd the X-Fight and found it only marginally more substancial but I could feel that it was going to have the same issues.. and imo a waste of money. Also, neither of these had enough buttons for me.

That said, they might be good sticks for someone who is very easy on their sticks with a light touch, who have smallish hands, and who do not mind a completely non ergo stick. But to me they feel fragile and engineered to wow buyers with features but the actual playability was low. I would recommend one of the Logitech sticks. Better value, alot more substancial and smooth, buttons are solid, comfortable and ergonomic to the point where you forget your using it because it feels natural. And they can take aggressive use.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 21 February 2012 - 11:17 PM.

#13 Caballo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 416 posts
  • Location"Mechs are mobile war machines. You're either moving, or you're dead"

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:25 PM

Some people (myself included) wait for MW:O because they still have some hope that this game will be simulator. And simulator, even “pseudosim” like MW3, must have as much control options as possible. This is what makes sim genre unique. In true simulator games (DCS, MSFS, LFS) KB+Mouse combo is supported, but almost completely unplayable.

I really hope for at least same level of controls as in MW3. And, as the best possible variant – requirement for joystick and additional control devices, like separate throttle or pedals.

This... Plus take a look here.

Edited by Caballo, 21 February 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#14 Mordhar

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 69 posts
  • LocationChelyabinsk, Russia

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

View PostArnold Carns, on 21 February 2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

Currently I'm using the "Attack 3" from Logitech. Even if I'd love to have a Thrustmaster "Hotas Cougar" or "Hotas Warthog", they'll hellish expensive. Until WinXP and now 7 I had the Thrustmaster "Attack Throttle" bundled with a "Top Gun" stick. It served me very well for a long time. Though I like more to have a seperated Stick and Throttle, I plan to obtain the more inexpensive "T.Flight Hotas X" (http://www.thrustmas...tflight-hotas-x) for MWO. The less money I had to spent on a new stick the more can go into MWO. :P

DCS almost lets you do the 10-finger-splits: "press ALT+Shift+F12 + K to toggle X" :)

And even IF MWO doesn't natively support Joystick/Throttles (which I doubt), there's always the "Joy to Key" proggy which let's you map your mouseaxes/keystrokes to the stick. Played Battlestar Galactica Online that way.

Actually, “Attack3” is one of the best auxiliary joysticks for MechWarrior games. It is symmetrical, so it can be used as the left hand stick in dual joysticks/joy+mouse control setup. And after production of “Cyborg Evo”/”Cyborg Evo Force” being stopped there are not many options left.

#15 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

View PostFluffinator, on 21 February 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Sorry dual stick/pad controls have been very common since halo1 and before. To say thats too complicated for this game is to say it belongs in the 1990s. For that matter even in Mechwarrior one I used http://pictures.todo...09/24621167.jpg where the thing on the left sidewas your left right turn...or was it mechwarrior 2? either way it was a long friggin time ago.

Not so very in the scale of market - mice and keyboard is a primary and only default PC controllers. Devs goes F2P to expand their target audience dramatically - and even in the nightmare they won't sacrifice their own market and business model to one and not near the most significant part of audience. As example, again - see the game about the tractors. TBH, we should be very happy that we will have the 1st person from-cockpit perspective and joystick support.

I agree in part that the simplicity may won't be welcomed by some part of the audience, but the keyword here is a "some" people. Unfortunately for simulators - the last 10 years brought a very negative effect on its shape. Simplicity and casuality - here's the main and only trends which are driving the gaming industry. And F2P business model - their most beloved child.

Finally, i'm playing the most realistic tank simulator ever - Steel Beasts, now i'm playing, let's say, arcade Tractors - and have fun because:

1) i love the tractors
2) it's F2P
3) it's funny
4) ...something...
5) tractors developer has a PROFIT! It's a win-win situation for both of us

No way.

Oh, this topic goes in wrong direction - excuse me, please, i just couldn't hold myself from the riding on the my favorite pony Marketing. :P

So, how i see it now, the control set with a mice will be the better choice than with a stick, just like in the any other shooter where you should aim.

/thread

#16 Kael Tropheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 282 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

I am hoping for keyboard/ mouse myself, but with the option of a joystick. I travel a lot and do not want to lug a whole bunch of joysticks and pedals through an airport. That would be asinine and alienate many players.

#17 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:52 AM

Sooooooooooooo moving this to HARDWARE

#18 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:18 AM

Im pretty sure both joystick and keyboard/mouse will be supported. I find both are pretty easily used to control a mech in mechwarrior games if you configure your controls right.

#19 Seth Deathstalker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 22 February 2012 - 05:52 AM, said:

Sooooooooooooo moving this to HARDWARE

Who would have guessed.....

Edited by Seth Deathstalker, 22 February 2012 - 07:35 AM.

#20 Seth Deathstalker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

Again. I don't really know what the big deal is. Use a joystick in your left hand for movement. You get forward/backward, turning right/left, torso turning, looking up/down, jump jets control, crouch, stand up. What else do you want more. With the mouse in the right hand you get aiming, shooting, firing solution. That leaves the keyboard for the tiny rest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users