22 replies to this topic

#1 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

Q: Is it safe to assume that NDAs will drop at Open Beta? Not holding you to it, just wondering - I am working on writing an article, and want a rough deadline for when it needs to be finished. [WardenWolf]
A: Absolutely, why would we have an NDA if anyone can play? ^_^ [Garth]

Q: Will robots with torso angle of 360 degrees, such as Thanatos or Thor from MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries? [Motharre]
A: We currently don't have plans to do this, although we may for future Mechs. So, the best answer I can give is 'maybe', sorry. [Garth]

Q: Will there be more graphic options? [ALacKOfLife]
A: Absolutely, we'll be adding them over time. [Garth]

Q: Would you guys consider adding the Panther, Wolfhound or Dervish? [Stormwolf]
A: We consider any canonical Mechs - I can't say whether or not we'll add those, though. [Garth]

Q: What of those real-world individuals (and potential MWO players) who were "inducted into the BT canon" (such as those who participated in the Lawyers, Guns, & Money event, and other such BT-related events) - would they be able to somehow claim use of their own "BT-canonized" names? [Strum Wealh]
A: Oh I would love to do that. There are no concrete plans but I think it's a great idea that we hold events to allow something like that. So, not planned, but would love to! [Garth]

Q: How will the maps for battle be chosen? Random for each battle or maps wiil be associated with specific planet or mission or something else? [Jurious]
A: It will depend entirely on the mode you're playing. Some will be random, others will be choices. [Garth]

Q: I'm curious how Jenner/Catapult/Stalker would even stand after getting knocked down, but I would see them as being the slowest in getting up, followed up by Mechs with arms but no hands, and with Mechs like the Atlas/Commando/Hunchback getting up the quickest thanks to their hands. [Monsoon]
A: You can try this yourself - lie down and get up without your arms. (it's possible, trust me.) For our Mechs there will be no difference. Mech standup times are roughly identical. [Garth]

Q: Any plans for going underwater in maps that would allow it? [Rasgueados]
A: No plans currently but... hmm... [Garth]

Q: If you were a Timberwolf, what dev would you have to pay off for them to spill the beans about your existence? [Hawkeye 72]
A: Paul Inouye. [Garth]

Q: The bloodthirsty Gods of you...do they have names? If they have...what are their names? :( [Nash]
A: Shub'Niggurath The Impossible, Crom The Destroyer, The Emperor Of Man, and Thor God of Lightning. [Garth]

Thanks for joining us, and we hope you learned something new!

Cheers,
The MechWarrior Online Team

#2 TroubleStarter

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

when ill get my beta invite? thank

xD xD

#3 Project Dark Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 237 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Not a whole lot of new information here this time, but this is the one that interests me the most:

View PostGarth Erlam, on 10 September 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Q: Any plans for going underwater in maps that would allow it? [Rasgueados]
A: No plans currently but... hmm... [Garth]

A water-only fight would be pretty awesome. Hopefully water rules for weapons apply (energy weapons and Torpedoes only), and that 'Mechs slow down in the water the more they're submerged. MechWarrior 3 pulled this off spectacularly.

Edited by Project Dark Fox, 10 September 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#4 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

What, no food questions? Uh oh, devs must be going on a diet...preparing for rage posts in the forum in .3...2...1..

#5 Gendou

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Oh good, so I can claim my canon character eventually.
Except I think my canon character is like ten years old in 3049. :(

#6 Project Dark Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 237 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostGendou, on 10 September 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Oh good, so I can claim my canon character eventually.
Except I think my canon character is like ten years old in 3049. :(

I've heard crazier.

#7 Herzog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant Major
  • Sergeant Major
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostProject Dark Fox, on 10 September 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

A water-only fight would be pretty awesome. Hopefully water rules for weapons apply (energy weapons and Torpedoes only), and that 'Mechs slow down in the water the more they're submerged. MechWarrior 3 pulled this off spectacularly.

Ye gods, I hated that level! Center torso hit, flooded, dead. Wash, rinse, repeat. :-p

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Aaaand we're back to useless answers. No points today, Garth

#9 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 10 September 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

Not true! I got my excellent question answered! ;)

Q: If you were a Timberwolf, what dev would you have to pay off for them to spill the beans about your existence? [Hawkeye 72]
A: Paul Inouye. [Garth]

Thanks for joining us, and we hope you learned something new!

Indeed... ;)

#10 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Ia Shub'Niggurath! Cthulhu fthagn!

#11 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

#12 light487

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

What is that.. Klingon?

#13 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

View Postlight487, on 10 September 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

What is that.. Klingon?
Filipino

#14 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

I just want to counter this with A) as a human we are definitely more flexable than a Mech, heck you try rolling while pretending not having a spine and legs with only a fraction of the agility and range of motion of your human legs. B ) Human's have nice round forms easy for rolling, now try having an ovoid shape (especially the Stalker!), possibly with a small jutted wing that would get in the way of even rolling onto one's side (like a Catapult's mickey ears). and C) as a human I can certainly stand up faster with use of my arms and hands than if I were just to roll.

Just saying, if all those actuator spots aren't really providing too much of a (if any) benefit, I would just rip them out for the extra critical slots.

#15 Vovochka404

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 66 posts
  • LocationRussia/Vladivostok

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

Why it's so hard to answer about linux/mac support?

There can be only two options:
1) "Get lost, dirty *nix lovers, Windows - is our everything" (and dev's love to .net is pointing on this variant)
2) "May be after stabilizing game on windows we will try be more *nix friendly"

Soon there'll be a Steam on linux. And only a few games for it. It's your chance too be one of them! :)

Edited by Vovochka404, 10 September 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#16 Kyrie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ph'nglui_mglw'nafh_Cthulhu_R'lyeh_wgah'nagl_fhtagn

#17 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

I notice you didn't answer my open beta date question, someone else ask that in Ask the Devs 17!

Q: The bloodthirsty Gods of you...do they have names? If they have...what are their names? :D [Nash]
A: Shub'Niggurath The Impossible, Crom The Destroyer, The Emperor Of Man, and Thor God of Lightning. [Garth]

Posted Image

Edited by Butane9000, 11 September 2012 - 06:58 AM.

#18 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostVovochka404, on 10 September 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Why it's so hard to answer about linux/mac support?

There can be only two options:
1) "Get lost, dirty *nix lovers, Windows - is our everything" (and dev's love to .net is pointing on this variant)
2) "May be after stabilizing game on windows we will try be more *nix friendly"

Soon there'll be a Steam on linux. And only a few games for it. It's your chance too be one of them! :D

Actually, the question and already been answered elsewhere in the forum...

From Paul Inouye, Lead Designer for MechWarrior Online:

We stated Day 1 that this was a PC exclusive title and that we had no intentions of moving it to other platforms.

CryENGINE 3 relies heavily on DirectX which does not run on a Mac. Yes, there's the dual boot option but we will not be supporting MWO running on a Windows partition on a Mac. If you choose to run the game like that, it's completely up to you but we will not be actively supporting those who do.
Posted here at 1:52am (forum server time) on June 21, 2012

The above-quoted post was originally aimed at Mac users' inquiries, but the basic idea holds true for *nix users as well - the engine on which the game is built (CryENGINE 3) is itself built for DirectX, and so the game will only run on systems that support both DirectX and CryENGINE 3 (which, for now, is limited to Microsoft platforms).

Game dev companies, like any other business, do the things the do in the manner in which they do them because there are sufficient incentives (financial advantages, partnership agreements, license restrictions, etc) to do so.
If one wants them to change their ways, then one needs to provide sufficient reasons/incentives to do so.

So, unless and until a.) other OSs support DirectX and game devs' engines of choice, b.) game engine producers build equivalent support for other other similar APIs (such as OpenGL, Allegro, and so on) into their engines, and/or c.) proponents of alternatives to DirectX are able to provide game devs with an engine that offers equal or better performance and ease-of-use across a comparable or better range of systems and comparable or better support and does so for a comparable or lower price, DirectX - and, by extension, Windows - will remain the way to go for PC gaming at large.

With the above Mac/*nix issue as a case-in-point, I'm suspecting that part of the issue is that people are asking questions where a.) the question has already been answered elsewhere in the forum, and that we should go back and read what the devs are saying, and/or b.) the answers would require divulging information that they are unable or unwilling to provide at this time (one of the more prominent examples being not answering questions about integrated VOIP prior to the C3 press release).

Your thoughts?

#19 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostBoz508, on 11 September 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

Hi ... I have try to find an answer to this question.... When in my main Menu... My mouse seems to be off by 2 In to the right ... and i can not launch a game after picking my mech

Delete the post and make it in beta forums, unless you intentionally want to break NDA... :D

#20 Vovochka404

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 66 posts
  • LocationRussia/Vladivostok

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

Thanks, Strum Wealh, for your reply. I really appreciate it :P

Of course i've searched this forum before asking, but even with such unpopular words like linux, unix, etc i found only questions without answers. That's why i asked my question.

CryEngine 3 can be nativly run on Linux. That was the second reason of my question. I was not offering devs to implement *nix support from zero.

Of course money is the main reason of existing of this project. But when the project is started, it's not only a tool for money making. It is a proud of a dev team. Each success of the project brings not only money, but the proud for the done job. *nix port can be such proud.

As for the money (there must be a unix dev for supporting this), they can be easily found on kickstarter. The hard thing is to find an appropriate developer for such job.

And the last one, if no one would speak about *nix, no one will thought, that anyone is interested in it. But we, *nix users, are interested in native games. :(

Edited by Vovochka404, 11 September 2012 - 02:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users