NO!! Mechwarrior is now Pay 2 Win :(

295 replies to this topic

#1 capt bishop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationInside a bunker at a undisclosed location

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

Why did it have to go to the F2P route when all F2P games are Pay 2 Win. In this "F2P" game you pay 20 Bucks to Obtain an Mad Cat for a week. Or you dont get to Keep any mechs you aquire you "Rent" them for X Days unless you pay X amount of Dollars to Keep it forever. For shame. MW3 will always be in my heart best MW game ever.

That trailer few years back looked Kick ***. Now its a P2W game. Should of been a retail game for $49.99 I would of Bought it Day One Via Pre Order on Steam...

#2 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

Where are you even getting this information?

#3 aglarang

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationBuckminster

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

For what it is worth, they did say that the paid content will not make a tactical difference. It remains to be seen how true to that PGI remains. I am hoping for the best here.

#4 Maximilian Sterling

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

View Postdamocles, on 31 October 2011 - 12:52 PM, said:

Where are you even getting this information?

As the devs clearly say on PCGamer that it won't be pay-to-win, I'd say rampant paranoia. ^^

#5 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Ekman also promises that while players will be able to buy items with real money, nobody can buy anything that will confer a tactical advantage. “Anything that would affect or give your a tactical advantage, you can’t purchase with real cash. You have to earn that by playing the game,” he says.

#6 chrisy05

• Pip
  • 11 posts

No, no it won't:

"Ekman also promises that while players will be able to buy items with real money, nobody can buy anything that will confer a tactical advantage. “Anything that would affect or give your a tactical advantage, you can’t purchase with real cash. You have to earn that by playing the game,” he says."

edit: blast, ninja-ed

Edited by chrisy05, 31 October 2011 - 12:54 PM.

#7 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

The article on PCGamer talks about the F2P model they're going to use.. this quote is probably relevant to your QQ:

Ekman also promises that while players will be able to buy items with real money, nobody can buy anything that will confer a tactical advantage. “Anything that would affect or give your a tactical advantage, you can’t purchase with real cash. You have to earn that by playing the game,” he says.

#8 thorn

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

Every dev always says F2P will never affect gameplay.

And then it does.

I'll need more proof than this.

#9 capt bishop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

View Postchrisy05, on 31 October 2011 - 12:53 PM, said:

So From that you dont actually get Mechs you Rent them.

From the start you get some Crappy Scout mech as you play you get In game currency to use to "Rent" mechs for 5 Days. If you pay X Money you keep it forever. While People that pay X dollars for said mech you will be placed in games with people with crappy scout mechs.

#10 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

View Postthorn, on 31 October 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

Every dev always says F2P will never affect gameplay.

And then it does.

I'll need more proof than this.

Ok... so, since you don't like the proof that it won't... can you prove that it will?

#11 ragnorock

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

League of Legends is F2P and it is defiantly not P2W...

#12 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

View Postcapt-bishop, on 31 October 2011 - 12:56 PM, said:

So From that you dont actually get Mechs you Rent them.

From the start you get some Crappy Scout mech as you play you get In game currency to use to "Rent" mechs for 5 Days. If you pay X Money you keep it forever. While People that pay X dollars for said mech you will be placed in games with people with crappy scout mechs.

How does a quote that says nobody can buy anything with a tactical advantage.. turn into "you don't actually get 'Mechs, you rent them?"

Edited by mal, 31 October 2011 - 12:58 PM.

#13 thorn

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

View Postmal, on 31 October 2011 - 12:56 PM, said:

Ok... so, since you don't like the proof that it won't... can you prove that it will?

Just going by experience. I'd LOVE to be wrong. But until I see more proof i'm skeptical.

#14 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

View Postthorn, on 31 October 2011 - 12:59 PM, said:

Just going by experience. I'd LOVE to be wrong. But until I see more proof i'm skeptical.

I'll point you up a few posts to the League of Legends example given. It's F2P.. doesn't make it P2W.. just P2lookdifferent

#15 capt bishop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

View Postmal, on 31 October 2011 - 12:58 PM, said:

How does a quote that says nobody can buy anything with a tactical advantage.. turn into "you don't actually get 'Mechs, you rent them?"

How do you know that Quote rules out of Renting of Mechs while if you pay Real money you keep em.

#16 thorn

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

View Postmal, on 31 October 2011 - 01:00 PM, said:

I'll point you up a few posts to the League of Legends example given. It's F2P.. doesn't make it P2W.. just P2lookdifferent

Can't you buy Champions?

#17 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

View Postcapt-bishop, on 31 October 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

How do you know that Quote rules out of Renting of Mechs while if you pay Real money you keep em.

Because that would be a tactical advantage, which that quote clearly states can't be bought with cash.

#18 Star Captain Obvious Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 500 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

Forum is 1 day old and it already has its first troll. Gotta love the internet.

#19 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

View Postthorn, on 31 October 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

Can't you buy Champions?

Yup.. but, buying a champion isn't necessarily an advantage. You can be just as good at LoL, without ever spending a cent, as you can if you spend $100 a month on it. You can also buy Champions with the in-game currency that you earn for every battle.

#20 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

also on DLC:
"Q. Will DLC be offered in the new MechWarrior® Online™ game?

A. Not in the way that you imagine it. Content will be pushed to you via the game patcher. Once a patch has been applied, new game content is immediately available to you. Larger patches could be considered expansion packs but again, it's pushed to you the player at no cost."

-A patcher that just pushes updates to you? Sounds like true PC gaming again. :)

edit:maybe would be more oldschool if you had to hunt down the patches yourself and install them but, woot!

Edited by damocles, 31 October 2011 - 01:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users