• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:32 AM

View PostJohn Clavell, on 29 February 2012 - 02:26 AM, said:

I don't get the feeling that's the direction Piranha is going to be taking the game. When you consider how many Battlemechs there are, there are not going to run out.

This.

There are dozens and dozens of battlemech chassis for this time period alone, then when you put variants on top of that you have a few hundred options. Assuming they allow a medium amount of customization in the game then you explode that to several hundreds in terms of options.

Like Hayden said; get off my lawn :D

#22 Psyco88

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

This thread looked like it was a request for aid in design of mech's and or creation. thats why I aquired the sdk. I am more than happy to help with the little free time I have since I am eager to play this game.

#23 Thomas Covenant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostPsyco88, on 28 February 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

Design is fun, thats the part I enjoyed the most out of the other mech games. Its like lego's =)
Can you make a mech assemply station where you can equip and unequip (and store) other parts so you can build your own custom mech?

When I read this I was NO. But the little kid in me was like, ya would be so cool. As I understand it in BattleTech most mechs you see in a fight are not modded with the body parts of other mechs, yet I imagine it does happen from time to time, maybe an arm every once in awhile, or just some big gun strapped to a mechs shoulder were it didn't belong.

Now imagine seeing an atlus on the battlfield, ok cool. Then imagine mechs everywhere with random body part combinations, eh for me thats not really battletech/mechwarrior anymore.

Now imagine a battlefield with a bunch of familiar mechs but one has a modded arm. Eh I could see it!

#24 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

Truth is what Ive seen of the Mechs so far from the art work, they may be old favorites , but they also seem new to Me.

and thats a good thing.

#25 osito

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, ca

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

i agree that piranha will most likely not go this route. Like others have said there are a lot of mechs out in this time period, add in variants and the clans coming there should be enough mechs. Then they have all the new designs that come out during and after the clan invasion. Plus all The sl mechs that are not seen often. I want my pillager and Crockett before new mechs.

#26 Lorcan Lladd

• 1,037 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

View Postosito, on 29 February 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

I want my pillager and Crockett before new mechs.

Or venerable Star League designs like the Warhammer, Archer, Marauder and Black Knight; there are still plenty of beloved, iconic 'Mechs which could be unveiled at game launch or even sooner.
That leaves little space for new battlemechs whom may or not be well accepted by the community, as opposed to the tried and true designs of canon Battletech which everyone knows and loves.

The addition of original 'Mech designs...
...I agree that it is very unlikely to happen.

#27 Chapel976

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

I, personally, think that they should focus on the existing mechs to start before attempting to come up with something of their own.

I've been playing MechWarrior since 1995 and there was so much to juggle way back then.

View PostMchawkeye, on 29 February 2012 - 01:42 AM, said:

I am not opposed to it; I think MW:O represents an opportunity to grow the canon as much as the table top.

I noticed you have the Campbell Tartan and Clan motto as your signature? Are you a Campbell?

#28 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

At this very moment we have no plans on adding new BattleMechs. There are plenty to chose from. We feel our contribution to the BattleTech universe should come in the form of a visual reboot, making the game relevant again.

#29 Storm McIntyre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 29 February 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

At this very moment we have no plans on adding new BattleMechs. There are plenty to chose from. We feel our contribution to the BattleTech universe should come in the form of a visual reboot, making the game relevant again.

Excellent. I am looking forward to your vision of Battletech.

#30 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Thank you. Now let's get all the SL classics rolling :)

#31 tacobellkiller

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 29 February 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

While I'm not philosophically opposed to adding new mechs down the line I think this is the best way to go forward. Nice to get a direct response on this.

#32 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

I fit into the crowd that is in favor of adding original mechs, only after many of the existing ones are added. However, I think it would be a good idea to not wait to long to start. Just don't over do it untill you start running short on existing mechs.

#33 SteelPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 715 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostEddrick, on 20 December 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

I fit into the crowd that is in favor of adding original mechs, only after many of the existing ones are added. However, I think it would be a good idea to not wait to long to start. Just don't over do it untill you start running short on existing mechs.

Considering the number of mechs that already exist in canon, I don't think PGI will run short on existing mechs to choose from at any point during the lifespan of the game.

That's not a dig on the longevity of the game. There are just that many mechs already created.

#34 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Not until I see some unseens.

going off and making new mechs when the best ones aren't even in game, it's madness.

Madness I say!

#35 Liberty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Well... I'm still waiting on word on the Unseen. The most dodged topic from PGI. How are you going to remain closed lipped about mechs that were and are the most iconic mechs in the mechwarrior/battletech universe? They are in the table top game, the manuals, the official art, the fan art, lore, history, and even novels. Definite canon to the game. I understand about the whole lawsuit issue but if you can't put the original designs in then remake them. PGIs remakes and even some of the fan remakes in the forums look good. The Unseen can also be argued to have the best hardpoints and variants as well. I really wish the white washing of battletech history would stop. I agree there are plenty of mechs to choose from and they are the Unseen. I am far from alone in wanting to see these put in. If there is some money making scheme to get the Unseen then fine. I'll buy one but sheesh whats the status on these things already.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users