Steel and Snow

104 replies to this topic

#41 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:00 AM

After listening to Thom coming out of his aloof state, Juri simply smiled. Putting away the deck of cards at the edge of the table into the cardboard case and placing it back in her pocket, she smiled softly to the group. Pulling away her chair and getting up, she began going to the restrooms. It was hard to keep her hands from shaking, that stabbing sensation was coming back strong, one of those random spikes of agony that drum up once in a while, and caused her to have to guide her way using the bar rail, though she tired to make it look as though she was simply browsing the liquor on display.

It took almost a full two minutes before she got into the womans room, where she was quick to check to stalls, gripping her gut tight. Biting into her knuckle, she tried to muffle the screams. Years had taught her the best way to deal with these moments was to just experience them, don't fight it, and let it have it's time, as that time will surely pass. She could taste copper in her mouth, and she knew she had drawn blood, even if it was only a droplet. Falling to her knees, she tried to breathe, her lungs felt like they were being crushed with glass, and tears began to swell in her eyes. Juri just continued to focus on her breathing, and reached with her free hand to the sink to poor the cold water. Placing her hand under it, she tried to bring herself in the moment.

I am in pain. This is me in pain. This is cold water. This is my hand under a running sink.

She tried to focus on the facts of the experience, as though she was some kind of outside observer to the moment. It was that cold water that slowly became a numbing sensation, she could feel the hard tile under her knees, and took in how uncomfortable it was. The neon lights in the bathroom with random alcohol brands, and how the light made her skin look awful. She started observing her skin, a sweat on her brow, the cooled air running off the ice water from the sink filling her lungs, the feeling of the hair on her neck, the sound of the terrible music in the background.

Soon Juri lost herself in the 'now' of it. She would hear everything, take in the horrible visage in the mirror of the bathroom and herself biting into her knuckle, those dark pits that were the pupils of her own eyes, the softness of her gaze in the mirror that showed such pity for the individual in front of her. So lost in the moment, the woman in the mirror was a completely separate person, an individual who she felt empathy for.

It was several minutes before the door opened with another couple of patrons observed this young Draconian woman on the floor with her back to them. It felt like one of those bad hollow vids where time slown down and suddenly fast-forwarded to catch up.

"Where's my fracking contact?!" Juri's bitten hand palmed the floor. The two women at the door simply laughed, and walked away to go gossip about the clumsy girl in the restroom. That was fine.

Bringing herself to her feet, Juri felt a buzz coming from her hip. Pulling out her PDA, she looked at the message.

Suddenly her face went cross. The location was roughly a half-hour with a good run, ten minutes by cab...

Ten minutes, it took 7 minutes for the capsules of painkillers to break down enough to get into her system, already on top of the one drink she had that night and the drugs already in her system. She reached into her pocket and pulled out the over-the-counter relief, and rolled her eyes trying to do the math. Juri was not delusional about her state or the amount of painkillers she would be taking before hand, she already was flirting with her body chemistry mixing the pills with booze.... About 200mg should do.

Downing the 'perscribed' estimate, she ran her hand under the sink and splashed the water over her face. Wiping her face with the back of her sleave, that stern look in her shadowed sunken eyes hardened. It was time to go to work....

#42 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 15:13 Hours.

El Huevo, was troubled. He was annoyed that Thom had let Alexi wander off without a care in the world, if she couldn’t be counted on to sit down for five minutes how could she be counted on when the LRM’s started flying? She was a play warrior from Solaris VII and it showed. so far all she had proven too El Huevo was a knack for potentially bailing when she didn’t like the orders. First she didn’t want to sit in the bar Thom had assigned for the meeting place, and then refusing to stay for the meeting they had waited there for in the first place. What if all of them had decided they’d had better things to do then listen to their commander? Where would the Terrors be then? In a larger unit one pilot making a rear of herself was one thing, but with less than a dozen souls to depend on when boots hit the line, her flippant attitude was a cause of concern.

He wanted to say something, to call Thom for his apparent lack of leadership skills, but as the young girl strutted away from the table the ever collected Jon Lee Yu, put a hand on his friends shoulder. El Huevo glanced at the samurai, his friend’s eyes conveying a simple message “Not now.” The Drac was a counterpoint to the quick to anger Southeasterner, which more often than not manifested itself by Jon Lee having to reel Gant back in. .

Gant conceded the point, silently fuming and turned his head back to Thom.

“Okay's now if's I's agot everyones attention….We's got a job” The Warlocian stopped and smiled at the warriors before him, obviously pleased with himself. "We's agonna be's aworking wit da Green Hearts. If you's a don't know, dey's a decent bunch of mud munchers... Der's not much dat the Irregular guy was awilling to say, but I's a know it's a smash and grab. We's ahold da ground while da PBI's load up cargo haulers."

"I's a don't know's where we's a going, or who we's a gonna be fighting... But's we's acatching a ride on one of dem warships. Da pay is good too, wit full salvage rights. Dat's about all I's agot for right now. Any's questions?"

“Dismissed-“

“Cap-…Thom, I got me a handful of questions, if’in that’d be alright?” He cleared his throat as Thom motioned for him to continue.

“Well sir, its just have you picked out an XO yet?” He tapped on the wooden table twice with his knuckles “Not trying to jinx ya, but if things go south, who do we got waiting in the hot seat? Mind, I ain’t put myself forward or nothin akin to that. Just been on the receiving end of a bad baton pass is all…Plus, we got dang’near a company at the table, you got lance assignments for us Boss?”

Edited by Gammadin, 04 October 2012 - 02:37 AM.

#43 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

View PostGammadin, on 04 October 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 15:13 Hours.

El Huevo, was troubled. He was annoyed that Thom had let Alexi wander off without a care in the world, if she couldn’t be counted on to sit down for five minutes how could she be counted on when the LRM’s started flying? She was a play warrior from Solaris VII and it showed. so far all she had proven too El Huevo was a knack for potentially bailing when she didn’t like the orders. First she didn’t want to sit in the bar Thom had assigned for the meeting place, and then refusing to stay for the meeting they had waited there for in the first place. What if all of them had decided they’d had better things to do then listen to their commander? Where would the Terrors be then? In a larger unit one pilot making a rear of herself was one thing, but with less than a dozen souls to depend on when boots hit the line, her flippant attitude was a cause of concern.

He wanted to say something, to call Thom for his apparent lack of leadership skills, but as the young girl strutted away from the table the ever collected Jon Lee Yu, put a hand on his friends shoulder. El Huevo glanced at the samurai, his friend’s eyes conveying a simple message “Not now.” The Drac was a counterpoint to the quick to anger Southeasterner, which more often than not manifested itself by Jon Lee having to reel Gant back in. .

Gant conceded the point, silently fuming and turned his head back to Thom.

“Okay's now if's I's agot everyones attention….We's got a job” The Warlocian stopped and smiled at the warriors before him, obviously pleased with himself. "We's agonna be's aworking wit da Green Hearts. If you's a don't know, dey's a decent bunch of mud munchers... Der's not much dat the Irregular guy was awilling to say, but I's a know it's a smash and grab. We's ahold da ground while da PBI's load up cargo haulers."

"I's a don't know's where we's a going, or who we's a gonna be fighting... But's we's acatching a ride on one of dem warships. Da pay is good too, wit full salvage rights. Dat's about all I's agot for right now. Any's questions?"

“Dismissed-“

“Cap-…Thom, I got me a handful of questions, if’in that’d be alright?” He cleared his throat as Thom motioned for him to continue.

“Well sir, its just have you picked out an XO yet?” He tapped on the wooden table twice with his knuckles “Not trying to jinx ya, but if things go south, who do we got waiting in the hot seat? Mind, I ain’t put myself forward or nothin akin to that. Just been on the receiving end of a bad baton pass is all…Plus, we got dang’near a company at the table, you got lance assignments for us Boss?”

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 15:19 Hours.

"Take's a seat, Hue..vo" Thom struggled with the man's nickname and with his accent accidenly butchered it.

Smiling, the mohawked warrior took up an empty pint glass and filled it with the neigh-black beer from one of the half empty pitchers. He then slid the glass on over with a well practiced grace to stop before the former Cabello. (is that what they're called?)

"Dem's some's valid concerns.. An honestly, I'ms astill kicking around ideas, an alike always I'ms aopen to's suggestions. But, I's awas tinking about Juri being XO, she's got da next heaviest mech, and from da battlefootage she's asupplied me wit, she know's what she's adoing... but she's a never mentioned anyting to me's about being in a command situation. Which I's atink is our major prob, we's all used to's going lone wolf, we'res aused to being on our's own when da lead flies..." Thom trailed off as he put his hand over his heart.

"I'ms a guilty of's dat. But I's alearned to's plays nice wit others, and we's all gonna have ta if we's gonna be successful. We's ain't a fighten da Clans..." He stopped as if a sudden idea came to him. "Actually, der's a decent chance of it." Thom said to the few assembled mechwarriors who each seemed a few shades paler after the statement. "But we's a gonna haveta learn to play nice together's, and I's a taking steps to's build us into one co herint (?) unit. Da aquisition of dem C3 units are just a step. I's agot two on da 'PainKiller,' and Ms Adrianna's got one on her bran new Centurion... Also we's gonna be arunning sims during da trip. We's gonna be aworking on wat units we have dat work well together wit what fighting styles we's ahave. Tings are agonna be ashuffling people around, seeing's what work's best. And who know's maybe's we'lls Ms Redburn," Thom rolled his eyes at the mention of her in a sure sign of annoyance. "will a get some techs an mech jocks to sign up... "

He stopped to refill his own pint, then took a long pull at the glass.

"Right anow's on paper, I's got you's working wit Mr . Yu, Azman, and Ms Adrianna." Thom said while eyeballing the other people sitting or standing about the table.

"So's is der anyting else?" The lonewolf turned merc commander asked as he pulled out a datapad from one of the pockets of his cargo pants.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 05 October 2012 - 02:38 AM.

#44 Nor Azman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 217 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,

Despite himself, Azman watched Juri as she left for the restrooms, and caught Adrianna watching him. Azman clicked his teeth. He had a feeling very little escaped the notice of the raven-haired beauty.

Infer as you will.

Azman gave Adrianna what in his mind was his most winning ladies’ man smile but in reality it came across as being slimey.

Azman return his attention to the table. The heavily tanned Gant was raising a question on a possible XO and lance assignments.

“I's awas tinking about Juri being XO…” Thom was answering. “Right anow's on paper, I's got you's working wit Mr . Yu, Azman, and Ms. Adrianna.”

Azman turned to what would be his new lancemates. Adrianna, John Lee Yu and Gant. Strong individuals. Their faces serious, their minds obviously focused on the business at hand.

Azman gave his most winning ladies’ man smile. (Though in retrospect, he shouldn’t applied that to Jon Lee Yu and El Huevo)

The man in the browncoat then slipped in an archaic joke, “Hello, I am Azman – Sorcerer of Light!”

Azman could hear the sound of pin drops. It was going to be a long day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
(sidenote - archaic joke ;) )

Edited by Nor Azman, 05 October 2012 - 03:06 AM.

#45 Durgan Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostNor Azman, on 05 October 2012 - 02:16 AM, said:

Azman gave his most winning ladies’ man smile. (Though in retrospect, he shouldn’t applied that to Jon Lee Yu and El Huevo)

The man in the browncoat then slipped in an archaic joke, “Hello, I am Azman – Sorcerer of Light!”

Azman could hear the sound of pin drops. It was going to be a long day.

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,

John shook his head in disapproval of Azman smile and attempt at humor. He thought to himself, these fools are going to be the end of me before we even get to the battlefield.

John gave Azman a dark cold stare “Shouldn't you be paying attention and not goofing around?”

#46 Nor Azman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 217 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 15:20 Hours.

Azman smiled meekly, showing his hands, palms open. In Jon Lee Yu, Azman remember his time in the DCMS mess halls – eating gruel, being serious, eating gruel, being serious, day in, day out. Good times.

“My apologies from me to you Yu-san. I spoke only in jest. You know the old saying, ‘Make light of life, for our burdens are heavy and the way is long.’”

Azman lowered his hands down.

“I shall refrain the laughter of my thoughts to the emptiness of my mind.”

Azman gave a honest conciliatory bow of his head and return his attention to the table.

Unbidden memories came drifting, as they always do, this time of Luthien, when uncharacteristically, under exact orders from Theodore Kurita, the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery mingled freely with the mercenary forces which came to help defend the capital world. Azman, being a merc, made fast friends with DCMS soldiers when he thought he wouldn’t. Good men all - all dead.
...“Come, drink this cup of sake mercenary. Tonight we must laugh. The Clans are at our doors.”

Edited by Nor Azman, 05 October 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#47 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 16:03 Hrs

"...Stupid's Blackensburg!" Thom tossed down his noteputer is an open show of annoyance. The device skipped once then came to rest next to a half-full Timburki Dark with a clink. He then looked down at the device with a glare suggesting he was wishing it catch fire. He sat back and rubbed his temple like he had a splitting headache. The corperation was stalling in processing his order, he needed those expendables. If he didn't have them and their op turning into an extended campaign or siege situation his little op would indeed be f**ked.

"Which one of you is Frankfurt?" Grumbled a deep bassy voice that reminded Thom of a volcano threatening to erupt. Looking up T was surprised by the man who possessed the deep voice. If Thom had to guess the man was just shy of six feet tall and of Asian ansestory wearing a technician's jumpsuit heavily stained with splotches of grease and coolant. Over his shoulder then man had an extremely large toolbelt. Behind him stood two other guys of similar dress, one black with a doo rag and bulging out eyes that reminded Thom of a Clanner he strangled with his bare hands once. And the last man was white with buzzed head a fat streak of grease on his face and a welder's mask secured at his belt. All three of the men's jumpsuits displayed the black lightning bolt of the merc outfit known as 'Battle Magic,' a unit composing of some of the most elite Tech's in existance.

Thom broke out in a smile that stretched from ear to ear, and if little Alexi was there he would have kissed her.

"Yeah's dats me, come take's a seat." He eagerly motioned the trio over to the table feeling as giddy as a child on Christmas morning.

#48 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 16:33 Hrs

"So's you's awant da job?" Thom asked hopeful, and the three Battle Magic guys nodded their heads inbetween gulps of TImburki Dark and bites of reuben sandwiches. Smiling, Thom extended his hand to the Asian ringleader of the trio. A man by the name of Larry that strangely reminded him of El Huevo a bit. The other two Eugene and Richie quickly downed the last of their beer and extended their hands in turn, Thom shook them as well.

"Well's we's alooking forward's ta having you's... Tries to be on da Achillies Pride by 06:00 tomorrow. You's know's get you's a situated and introduced to everybodies."

"See you then, Thom." Larry offered before turning about to lead the techy-trio off. Thom squinted his eyes as Eugene said something in a strange dialect to the other tech, RIchie as they headed off after their clicks leader. The Warlockian then took up the glass of Glengarry Private Stock from where it had been sitting alone and forgotten and swirled the amber liquid around, deep in thought, contemplating the Magic guys story.

Two founding memebers and one a recent recruit... unhappy, and they decide to jump ship and join us right when we could really use them....

It sounded a little too convienient to Thom, but he wasn't going to argue with his stupid dumb luck.

Now only if we got a few more techs, some nursing staff for Dr. Mead, and those idiots from Blackenburg would quit funking around with me, we'd be ready to head out on this little misadventure... Thom thought before pounding the shot back in a well practiced motion. Squinting and smacking his lips he savored the amber liquid as it burned its way down to his stomach to radiate warmly out from there.

It was then when he looked up to noticed Adrianna fidgetting about the table like she was impatiently waiting to be acknowledged.

"You's awant someting Adrianna?" Thom asked suddenly from his seat before motioning the Scientist on over. "Come on's, take a seat. What's aeating at you?"

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 08 October 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#49 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:37 AM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,

Adrianna smoothed out her skirt and sat down, a little uncertainly. Her nails drummed gently on the table.

“Capt...uh, Thom, I heard your outburst, just before the Battle Magic guys got here. You know, if Blankenburg are giving you trouble, I can help out. I mean, not only with my industry ties, but my tech works for Quickscell directly. With the history those two companies have, I'm sure Quickscell would jump at the chance to deny Blankenburg a sale and rub their nose in it.”

She shrugged. “Or, if you don't trust Quickscell, and to be fair, you wouldn't be the first, you could always let slip to Blankenburg that you’ve got some inside contacts with Quickscell, then go silent on them. Let ‘em freak out for a bit. That ought to speed up the process a bit.”

“I hope I'm not intruding, and I know that a CO can often feel the running of his unit is a personal thing. But, well...” Adrianna looked like she was going to say something else, then thought better of it, “...anyway, the offer’s there, if you think it'll help.”

#50 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 08 October 2012 - 04:37 AM, said:

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,

Adrianna smoothed out her skirt and sat down, a little uncertainly. Her nails drummed gently on the table.

“Capt...uh, Thom, I heard your outburst, just before the Battle Magic guys got here. You know, if Blankenburg are giving you trouble, I can help out. I mean, not only with my industry ties, but my tech works for Quickscell directly. With the history those two companies have, I'm sure Quickscell would jump at the chance to deny Blankenburg a sale and rub their nose in it.”

She shrugged. “Or, if you don't trust Quickscell, and to be fair, you wouldn't be the first, you could always let slip to Blankenburg that you’ve got some inside contacts with Quickscell, then go silent on them. Let ‘em freak out for a bit. That ought to speed up the process a bit.”

“I hope I'm not intruding, and I know that a CO can often feel the running of his unit is a personal thing. But, well...” Adrianna looked like she was going to say something else, then thought better of it, “...anyway, the offer’s there, if you think it'll help.”

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 16:34 Hrs

Thom picked up his discarded noteputer and looked at the message once again. But he nodded as Adrianna spoke her cunning plan that'd ruffle Blackenburg's feathers. Casting a sly grin her way he began typing away.

"Hold's on Adrianna... I'ms atrying your suggestion." he smirked as he went back to thumbing away on the small keypad. With relish he push the send button and looked the scientist's way.

"Hows dis sound?" He turned to look at the small screen of the device before clearing his throat. "You's know. Why don't you's akeep your items and business? You's have alost a valued costsomer who is now's gonna do everting he's acan to bad mouth your's acompany and turn away every possible customer he's acan. I's a don't need you's, My Terror's don't need's you's. I'ms anow taking alls my's orders to Quicksell or's Ceres Metals. Where's I's a know dat I'lls have no issue wit having to wait or having's wat I's awant on back order.. GO FUNK YOURSELF!!!" He stopped and smiling pointed at the noteputer. "I's a used three explanation marks. A sincerly, Thom Frankfurt."

Chuckling to himself, Thom sat the noteputer down.

"Dat was a good idea. So's tell me about Quicksell, and if der's anyting else you's awanna talk about.. don't be's afraid to's ask." Thom stated fishing for whatever was eating at her...

#51 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 16:45 Hrs

Eight people entered the bar, looking around with a mixture of confusion and hopeful smiles. The first two through both wore flight jackets and seemed to have that all knowing air that most fighter jocks carry on their shoulders like the wings pinned to their chest. One broke from the pack and took a seat at the bar, his black coolant vest pitted and worn with a small upside down triangular patch featuring a reaper enveloping an entire world and the words "Bad Karma" emblazoned in blood red at the top in a black bar. The other five were a little more unsure of themselves and seemed somewhat smeared and smudged with coverall jumpsuits, all wore the patch of the now defunct aerospace units of Bad Dream http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bad_Dream a company that lost many of its assets in late 3062 to debt collection. The two fighter jocks looked around and for a second their eyes stopped on Thom, then with a bit of uncertainty they looked back at the techs then to each other before one spoke. "Ummm Excuse me folks, Is there a [he looked a bit embarrassed] Father Thom in here? A pink haired Angel sent us this way and said she was almost for certain you could use us." The other presented a business card for Yoshi's Silk Emporium, with hastily written directions on back with how to get to the bar and a set of pink lip prints in the lower corner.

Meanwhile the man at bar just tried to wipe down his arm with some soda water and napkins, removing the ink from the his bicep.

Edited by Oni Storm, 10 October 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#52 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 16:35 Hrs

“Anything else?” Dammit. “No, that was pretty much it.”

Adrianna switched to the subject of Quickscell before Thom pushed any further.

“Quickscell...well, Quickscell are cheap. Everyone knows that. What I think a lot don’t realise is that Quickscell are cheap because everyone knows that. They want to be one of the big boys, like TharHes or Kallon, leading the way in a technological revolution that will put us above the ancient Star League. But they can’t fund that kind of cutting edge research, so they just build knock-offs of technology others develop. And because it’s a knock-off, no one pays top dollar for it. So they don’t have the funds to do the cutting edge research for the next advance.”

She shook her head. “It’s a vicious cycle, one they got into in the Succession Wars, and if they’re not careful, they’ll be left for dead. It’s part of the reason I still test pilot for them. I mean, I’m an external contractor, don’t get me wrong. I work for anyone who can pay to hire me and whose equipment I think is good enough it won’t get me killed. But Quickscell contracts always feel, I dunno, different somehow. Like maybe one day, I could be a part of dragging them out of the dirt.”

Adrianna waved a hand dismissively. “Anyway, enough barroom philosophy from me,” she said as a bustle of people entered the bar, obviously looking for someone, “And it looks like you’ve got captainly things to do. Good luck, chief, I’ll be with my tech getting my machine ready to be underway.”

#53 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 16:37 Hrs

"Yo's Adri, wait." Thom called while typeing away at his noteputer, a list of replacement parts and munitions that he thought would come in handy if things on the op turned bad. Looking over the things he hastedly typed a final time he hit the transmit button sending the message to Adrianna. He nodded a second later when her more compact and advanced device beeped for her attention.

"Der's da list of tings I'ms alooking to's pick up. If you's a don't mind could you's work on a deal wit Quicksell? It'sa mostly armor an munitions, wit da odd spare part thrown inda mix. But dey should be able to supply's it by oh say's tomorrow's night?"

He thought over the logistics of how long it sould take them to supply the items and tossed away the idea thinking that if things came to it he could always have the dropship speed off to the warships at faster than the standard one G that dropships usually used to ferry cargo and men to and from a planet from the stars jump point. As he did that he fished out an ancient looking leather wallet with the words 'Bad Motherfunker' on it and fished out a small slate gray card which he slid across to her.

"Tell dems dat I'lls pay a bonus if dey can get it's to da ship by 0600 hours. If dey's can't do it call's up Ceres Metals. Dem guys will do anyting to make an extra buck. Oh's and if you's a see anyting nice an not ridicilously over priced, get it for yourself..." Thom trailed off as the door opened to allow another pack of greasy techy looking guys enter with a coulped swaggering gaint of seasoned mercenaries.

Jesus, how many guys did Alexi coax into coming here? Looking once more at Adrianna he cocked a s**t-eating grin. "Yeah's captianly duties, take care." He then looked at the constant swelling pack of mercs and techs and pisa whistled at them.

"YO! If you's ahere alooking for Thom, bring's it in!" He shouted at the pack and smiled as the small herd made it's way towards him.

#54 Nor Azman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 217 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:38 AM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 16:37 Hrs

“I need to go.”

Azman said to Thom as more techs and pilot jocks came to the picture. The more the merrier, Azman thought. Deep space could be a lonely place. And if the universe was squared, everyone was going to hell in a hand basket anyway.

Azman made his quick goodbyes as well to Jon, Gant and Adrianna. Juri however he was unable to find.

“Meet you back at dropship come 0600 hours.” Azman called back as he left the Raven Loft.

Azman managed to hail cab.

Time to pay respects to the dead.

“Where to boss?”

“Minobu Cementary please.”

Minobu Cementary,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 17:18 Hrs

Minobu Tetsuhara was a noted mechwarrior in his day. His claim to the pages of history was in saving the life of Jamie Wolf on two occasions, acted as liaison officer during the beginnings of the much chronicled service of Wolf’s Dragoons to House Kurita, and was the commander of the Ryuken regiments in Misery commissioned to destroy the vaunted mercenary unit. When Minobu committed public seppuku, ritualised suicide by disembowelment, to atone for his failure to carry out his duty, Jamie Wolf himself acted as Minobu’s kaishakunin, a role of much honour and trust, charged with giving the ending blow.

But all that was in 3028. The universe has changed so much since then. The deeds of people passed are dutifully recorded to be put aside and all you have are names inscribed to a quiet place under an open sky. Minobu Cementary.

A slight chill as Azman pulled his browncoat closer to him, walking on the rained pathways through.

It was a lonely walk, passed the countless graves, till Azman found the one he was looking for. A particular grave which had blue pinwheels spinning softly at its tombstone. Azman settled down on the wet grass and grinned at the tombstone’s epitaph – ‘Here lies Mark, a dumb Merc.’

“That sums it all.” Azman said to no one in particular.

From his coat, Azman pulled out a silver flask of Lyran whiskey, uncapped it and placed it beside Dumb Mark the Merc’s tombstone. Azman took a good look around. There were some mourners here and there but Azman was relatively by himself which was fine and good. All he had to do was wait.

Azman sat in silence as his thoughts drifted away. The passage of time went unnoticed.

…Your place should be with your new comrades but here you are sitting on wet grass beside a grave… Comrade indeed…

“Do you pray for the living or the dead?”

Azman broke away from his thoughts and look up to find an angel smiling down at him. She wore the habit of a catholic nun with a white cornette on her head, a loose dress of black serge and a beaded rosary hung to the side of her woollen belt.

“There is no difference between the two.” Azman answered.

The nun smiled.

“Do you know this man?” She gestured to Mark the Dumb Merc’s grave.

“No I do not know this man but I hear he died for something he believed in.”

Again the nun smiled.

“Alms for the war orphans?” the nun held out a donation tin.

Azman checked his pockets and stuffed in some c-bills. The nun looked down at Azman considering then unexpectedly, pressed her fingers to her lips and placed them gently to Azman’s forehead. His skin burned by her touch.

“Ponder the path of your feet, then all your ways will be sure.”

The angel left him there to accost other mourners for possible donations.

Azman remained on the wet grass, looking at the uncapped silver flask of Lyran whiskey, the spinning blue pinwheels and the epitaph on the tombstone. His face unreadable.

In between the c-bills stuffed into the donation tin was a small piece of paper. Scribbled on that piece of paper was one word, ‘Duck’. The mission was a go.

..“Observe and report.”

“I guess I’m set then.” Azman spoke to no one in particular. He got to his feet and dusted himself off. Azman wondered if anyone would bother offering him a flask of whiskey at his grave come time. No, D-bags wouldn’t be so lucky. Time to go to work.

Dumb merc indeed.

Edited by Nor Azman, 11 October 2012 - 04:02 AM.

#55 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

Asian Quarter,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 19:25 Hours

The sound of the common folk of Outreach marched on, almost making a horrible rythmic beat that reminded Juri of those horrible things that she had seen in her years as a soldier. The light headedness that came with the intoxication from the assorted chemicals in her system made the world a haze, a horror show of machinery and flesh amaligmated into some twisted ant colony before her. The whole world of the Asian Quarter felt cheap, the 'Made in China' stamp that she was certain was under her boot should she choose to look, her cheapened faked self composed of plastic and pills and marching on.

She chuckled as she saw the bodies piled like quart-wood onto the markets priced at a single C-Bill for three pounds of muscle and sinew. Juri's laugh was more increasing as she looked at her hands, caked in dried and fresh layered blood and scabs, the vitae rained from the sky and stained the world around her. It smelled like ash as it soaked into the streets.

Stumbling by, she bumped shoulders with a man, and threw her head back. The man had no upper half to his head, instead being a lower jaw with a tongue that flailed, but even without eyes Juri knew the man looked at her... Perhaps he wanted to join her. It was something in the worming of his tongue in the air.

Her heart was pounding. She knew what was happening, this was her system telling her she pushed too far. She could see her heart pounding in front of her eyes as it hanged before her through a hole in her rib cage. It was blacked and sickly. That was ok though, it wasn't her focus, it was not the reason she was here.

Peering through the steel-beam trees of light and markets of flesh and greet, where men's teeth and ears were on display, she continued to look for her target. "Seek, Protect, Escort.... Seek, Protect, Escort.... Seek, Protect, Escort." Mission objectives, doing everything through steps. The world didn't have to make sense, her senses did not have to tell her the truth, she had but to follow the mission.

Looking up at the sky, she saw the tall street signs that were twisted of metal and rust, rained red, and black crows swooped thicker than the clouds above, pecking each other to death and cannibalizing themselves on the way down, leaving only droplets to hit ground. That was Outreach in a nutshell.

She leaned upon one of the market booths. "Hey, are you alright?" A man's voice came from behind the counter. Looking up, the man's eyes were cut in half and barely hanging in the sockets, while the maggots fell from his mouth onto the table that displayed all kinds of human body parts.

"Yea...um.... Have you seen a girl, roughly ya-tall, pink hair?" Juri tried to speak slow, but that old throb of pain in her heart was starting to become insistant that she'd slow down. A heart attack maybe? It would not surprize her, but she didn't have time for it.

"Ma'am, do you understand me? Kerensky help me, it's always the drunks at my shop."

She reached out and grabbed the maggot-mouthed man by the ear which threatened to come off in her hand and pushed his head to the table. "I am going to ask again.... Girl, this tall, pink hair, been here maybe ten minutes ago." Apparently the adrenaline was enough to make her words clear enough to the man for him to start pointing in a direction and screaming in some sort of Korean dialect.

Looking down the street, she saw the streets made of broken glass and fractured needles. Each step made her almost forget she was wearnig boots, as she could still feel the sharpness slicing into the balls of her feet and sheering the skin from her toes. Her hand gripped at the center of her chest, feeling her nails claw into the flesh like that little pain would make her forget about the bigger one.

She would find Alexi, she would find her and make sure she was safe...

Edited by MacabreDerek, 13 October 2012 - 02:11 AM.

#56 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Asian Quarter,
Harlech City,
Outreach,

A dozen different smells of cooking food wafted through the air of the Asian Quarter, most of them smelling delicious, though a few made Adrianna hurry on her way. (Deep-fried licorice? What were they thinking?) She browsed the wares on display, remembering Frankfurt’s suggestion that she find something for herself, but little here appealed to her. Like Quickscell, the markets here were full of cheap, soulless imitations.

Quickscell themselves had jumped at the chance to supply the group, promising to have the required items there on time. One of the warehouse rats who worked there had complained that they didn't have enough grade 12 plating to fill the order at that notice, but the manager (Merrick Jones, who she'd worked with on the Cold Samba project) had told him to scavenge it from another order. Adrianna only hoped it was still grade 12 and not 10 in different packaging. Still, Merrick was a reliable sort.

Something finally caught her eye: an old woman, her face leathery and spotted, painting with thick, careless strokes on canvas. Despite her apparent lack of focus, the colours came together to form vibrant images of BattleMechs in motion. One particularly stood out to her, a grey-blue Centurion, it's right arm blazing orange and gold as it fired on an Owens.

“How much for this one?” Adrianna asked the woman.

“Twenty Cee,” the artist replied, not looking up from her work.

Adrianna opened her purse and pulled out Frankfurt’s card. With a sniff that implied she only really stopped because of the practicalities of earning enough to eat, the artist took the card and slotted it into a reader.

“Thank you,” the artist said, handing back the card and Adrianna’s new work of art, “You see Grand Dragon?”

Adrianna glanced around at the other paintings, trying to find the one the artist was talking about.

“No, no, Grand Dragon,” the artist said again, pointing insistently at a nearby store, “My nephew runs. I think you like.”

“Oh, okay. Thanks.” Adrianna started strolling across to the line queuing to see the BattleMech. Despite her wide experience, she’d never actually seen a Grand Dragon up close. She wondered whether it was an older -5K variant or one of the newer -7Ks with MASC, and whether they’d actually be able to see the inner workings of the machine.

As she was mulling over such thoughts, she suddenly recognised a familiar pink bob of hair in the line.

“Alexi!” she shouted, waving to attract the girl’s attention.

#57 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

Asian Quarter,
Harlech City,
Outreach,

Juri's hand gripped at the center of her chest, feeling her nails claw into the flesh like that little pain would make her forget about the bigger one. The claws grew longer and deeper, the pain shooting through her body with each pulsing beat of her heart. Looking down now she saw the her own hand was resting onto of another larger entity that seemed to manifest itself in a reverse order emanating from her chest just below her own palm. The mass swirled and swelled as it burst forth and was made substantial. Red and scaly the hand increased and as it jetted further outward, turned into a wrist, then an elbow, then a shoulder an outstretched arm. finally the arm attached itself to another mass, that of a huge long oriental red dragon, and with each stabbing, bleeding pain of her heart, Juri was tugged further down the street. She would find Alexi, she would find her and make sure she was safe...

Closer now the dragon drew her in towards itself and with huge gaping jaws open and bit down upon Juri's aching, pounding chest and body, then it was gone and before her for the briefest of moments she heard "Alexi!" being yelled from the slightly familiar voice of Adriianna, just some twenty feet before her and on the sidewalk to her left.

Asian Quarter,
Harlech City,
Outreach,

Despite her wide experience, she’d never actually seen a Grand Dragon up close. She wondered whether it was an older -5K variant or one of the newer -7Ks with MASC, and whether they’d actually be able to see the inner workings of the machine.

As Adrianna was mulling over such thoughts, she suddenly recognised a familiar pink bob of hair in the line.

“Alexi!” she shouted, waving to attract the girl’s attention.

The girl turned round looking to she who the person was shouting and as she did, Adrianna noticed the girls Asian features and slightly smaller frame. It wasn't Alexi, (just another of the many anime pop girls that stole her hair) or so Alexi herself thought as cowered inside cockpit, having heard her name. She knew there'd probably be hell to pay if anyone even began to notice she was up here, what with the prominent "Do Not Touch!" signs everywhere, but it couldn't be helped, she had lingered just long enough from the last group through and had hurriedly scampered inside and was laying down low as the men's group had entered. Thank the gods that the dis-players decided to leave the cockpit hatch open and there was virtually no way to see in from below with out climbing on some part of the giant 'Mech. She typed frantically as she heard Adrianna's voice. "I'm inside the Great Dragon, the guys have gone through here but pretty sure they are still around and if they are who I think, you may have problems if they heard you."

Asian Quarter,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 19:28 Hours

No sooner had the message been received and read then sure enough three small Asian men, all in black leathers and sporting a flaming emblem of a small village set a blaze, were closing on Adrianna, a look of no good in their eyes and on their face stricken evil grins.

The three men closed quickly and two pulled small metallic rods from their jackets, sending the crowds scattering and screaming in various directions. One young girl in particular was running and screaming "Blaze!" just before her pink bobbling head fell face first into the cobbled and dirty stone, the impact seeming to have possibly broken the girls nose as she struggled to get up and then fell silent a small red tipped dart, prominently displayed now in her neck.

The closest Blaze member, a small oriental man no more than four feet nothing quickly sighted up Adrianna and darted at her, his black metallic rod pop and crackling as he turned and angled it at his wrist for a quick rapid tap motion aimed at the back of her knee. His eyes wide a swollen as he closed...

The other two began to circle wide to try and flank her and block off any hope for escape. Bringing the rear guard scant feet from Juri.

Asian Quarter,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 19:29 Hours

Juri's world had returned in an blur the instant the crowd broke, animals of every type running and scampering for cover as the demonic pig clowns brandished their cackling rods, the hideous laughter mocking the now giant minx form of Adrianna. The third demon, a larger undead wolf seemed to control the situation as he spat forth a huge surgical needle and caught the pink pus-see cat girl square in the back. It must have been some good stuff too, since the cat purred in euphoria and continued to roll around in the dirt, like she was on so much catnip.One of the pigmen got closer now trying to flank the Minx, he was so close, so close Juri could taste the beacon sweat perfume before her...

Edited by Oni Storm, 14 October 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#58 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Asian Quarter,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 19:29 Hours

Juri tried to shake it off. Focus, that fist tightening so hard that her nails were threatening to slice her palm open, as she shook her head. Reality was relative, but the consequences were certain.

The horrifying visage of the two 'men' before her seemed to be a haze of deranged fantasy and reality when it decided to join in. They were as small as she was, and looked about. She saw the pink-haired creature scuttle off, and Juri could only assume the two before her had something to do with the young girl's state. Looking about it was only the dim lanterns that were keeping the area lit, traditional karosine lamps that set the tone in the Asian Quarter, as the sun faded past the magic hour.

"Gentlemen, please be on your way... I don't want any trouble, but you're in my way."

The men laughed, pointing at Juri's hands which were trembling. Perhaps they thought this was fear, and not the agony burning in her gut. That was fine, another bit of misdirection, deception, theatricality.

The conversation between the men made it clear they were simply going to ignore Juri, they turned away. That was unacceptable, she could not allow them to re-engage their target. She also couldn't leave a pair of bodies for the police to find, there had to be some way to get them out of here quickly. Juri's trembling hands reached towards one of the low-hanging glass street-lamps.

Gasps taken to the crowd, as the young men turned back to see what that whimpering woman was doing. The woman had been soaking wet, with a burnt out lamp in her hand. Grimly, she threw it between the men, and the contents splashed all about as the glass shattered. The floor glistened in the fire-light, like a patch of diamonds, sharp and dangerous.

The men reached inside their coats for some kind of weapon, but paused at realizing the conditions of the area. Pulling from her pocket, she produced a draconian beam pistol, an older make from the war of '39, and aimed it to the ground. "Like I said Gentlemen, you're in my way. I'm in kind of a hurry, not sure how long I can keep my hand from shaking.... Would hate to shoot something that might be important, which I guess at this point is everything." Juri's voice was trembling, her vision was being blurred with the threat of more halucinations... She was now unstable, on more stimulants and depressives than any sane person could consider healthy, and was trembling with an object that could easily spark a fire. This was not going to go well, this half-baked plan. Still, she couldn't trust to shoot straight, and the longer she could keep these goons eyes on her, the more likely Alexi would walk from this.

"You're fraggin kidding right? This is an intimidation play. You ain't gonna shoot."

Juri sighed. It would have been so much easier if the just believed her.

"Well... Yea, you're right, this is just trying to intimidate you. Am I gonna shoot? Well, you're not letting my colligue go if I dont will you?"

They shook their heads grinning at their triumphant call on Juri's bluff.

"Then I guess I shoot." Before any objections can be heard, she pulled the trigger. Burning light struck the cobble-stone street, and fire shot up from the impact. It chased from behind the lands who only had enough time to see what was happening before the fire crept up their legs. They ran and jumped from the pool of fire as it streamed up towards Juri, they payed no mind to her as they tried to brush the fire from their legs which where only superficially crisped. The fire raged on towards her, and then stopped at her feet.

Juri's face grew twisted, and she stepped into the fire, flames licking at her legs and hands soaked, but would not light. She aimed the pistol at one of the individuals who ran from this woman standing in flame, and his partner decided it would be the best appropriate action for this suicidal maniac standing in a pool of fire.

Walking out of the pool, the soles of her feet were a flame, she kicked it off on the stones below, the rubber stank as it burned. Walking towards the pink-haired Alexi, she gripped the pistol tight, trying to fight the blackness that was eating at the corners of her vision.

#59 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

Asian Quarter,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 19:30 Hours

Adrianna felt frozen in shock as Juri stumbled through the fire, her pistol swaying drunkenly in her hand. From one side, apparently unseen by her savior, a third member of the aptly named Blaze approached, looking to get some payback for Juri’s incendiary trick.

Oh no, you don’t, Adrianna thought, her eyes narrowing.

The handbag connected with a loud thunk, courtesy of the S9-45 converter she’d picked up from Quickscell. It was meant for electrical signal conversion on her Centurion, but it turned out to have a dual use as a handy blackjack. She’d have to include that in her report, she thought wryly as the thug slumped to the ground.

He wasn’t the only one. Juri collapsed to her hands and knees, in obvious pain. Adrianna rushed over, expecting to find her badly burned.

“Juri! Are you okay?” she said, hurriedly pushing up Juri’s damp sleeves to find unexpectedly unblemished skin.

Juri nodded, though she looked like she was about to vomit. “Um...can you get me a glass of water, though? My bottle’s empty,” she said revealing an empty water bottle.

Water? Wait...Adrianna sniffed her fingers. They didn’t smell like the kerosine she had thought Juri was covered in.

Clever.

While she was still processing this, Juri slumped to the ground, her eyes unfocused, her breath ragged.

“Alexi! Call for paramedics!” Adrianna called out as she started checking Juri’s airways.

#60 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 19:00 Hrs

It was ridicilous how many techs and mechwarriors Alexi was able to draw in. In the past two hours a near constant stream of warriors trickled into the Bar. Everything from freshfaced academy drop outs to grizzled Clan War Vets to the remenants of a now disbanded fighter wing. It even got to the point where the bartender put a note on the door directing the job seekers to Thom's table. Now the weary Warlockian sat back in his chair and watched as the last of the interviewees walked off out the 'loft.' He had a whole stack of names for warriors and techs who were out of a job, the techs he'd take on filling out the technician rosters he had come up with. Every mech would have five techs, even if three out of every five of them were still wet behind the ears.

The mechwarriors though.... dispossesed almost to the man and as much as he hated to send them off he had no choice. It'd take a lot of lube and better slight of hand tricks that Juri's for Thom to pull a battlemech out of his a$$. But he did scrible down a couple names for the most promising for future ops and the ones that actually had mechs. [Nomad's possible character.] He eyeballed the names of the dispossesed fighter jocks, a cloud of fighter cover would sure help make up for the Terrors lack of speed.

Pinching the bridge of his nose Thom looked up as his noteputer beeped for his attention. He swirled a half full pint glass as he reguarded the electrical device, finally hs tossed back the glass and downed it's contents in one gulp. Taking up the noteputer he looked it over starting with the missed messages, the ones he have recieved as he was interviewing. An order confirmation from Quicksell, with promises of timely shipment in full. Smiling he scrolled through the other notifications for Blackenburg [Oops I actually meant Blackwell Industires, oh well FIAT!] begging for him not to cancel his order and apologies for delays on his order. He chuckled as he scrolled over to the last message, and the chuckle quickly faded, and the smile died on his lips.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 15 October 2012 - 10:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users