#1 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

there is an Atlas thread,
Attention: Atlas Pilots

one thing that came up, is the Atlas will die just as quickly as any other mech on the field. now we all know the Atlas is supposed to be a mech that's supposed to be in the middle of a fight not hanging out taking pot shots. so I checked out the Atlas on Sarna.net and I noticed that the stock Atlas is supposed to come with Durallex heavy special armor, and the Atlas II which I think is based on the RS model is supposed to have star slab 2, armor. don't know anything about it except that its based on FF armor, if that's the case why doesn't the Atlai in MWO have this armor being its part of the stock loadout.

Edited by SgtMagor, 13 March 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#2 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

They're just brands of armor. The Atlas can and does soak far more damage than any other mech can, you just have to know what you're doing.

#3 Baltasar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostSgtMagor, on 13 March 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

there is an Atlas thread,
Attention: Atlas Pilots

This couldn't have been asked in that thread?

(I can use bolded words as well ;) )

Atlas do soak up the damage. Focus fire is a b**** no matter what mech you are in. Torso twisting must be used on any mech you wish to pilot and live longer in. Scouts have speed to help them last longer, Assaults have their armor. Not a problem.

#4 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

but its ferro fibrous armor, not standard armor.

#5 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

Atlas does have more armor than any other mech... What's the issue?

If your get primaried what do you expect? Other times if ignored atlases wreck plenty of ****. Usually top killers in most games.

View PostSgtMagor, on 13 March 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

Ferro doesnt absorb more damage...weight saver.

#6 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostBlackSquirrel, on 13 March 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

Atlas does have more armor than any other mech... What's the issue?

If your get primaried what do you expect? Other times if ignored atlases wreck plenty of ****. Usually top killers in most games.

Ferro-Fibrous Armor (FF) is an advanced armor technology. Utilizing a weave of ferro-steel, ferro-titanium and diamond weave fibers (which boosts the tensile strength of the plating) it provides more protection per ton than Standard Armor. With the same amount of protection, the material is lighter, but larger, and therefore takes up more space on the mounted vessel.
  • Ferro-Fibrous Armor provides 12% more armor per ton, but consumes 14 Critical Slots.

#7 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostSgtMagor, on 13 March 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

just quoting for effect. Many people misunderstand what it does, Ferro Fibrous just gives you a little extra tonnage at the expense of criticals, it doesn't give you better armor just armor that weighs less.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 13 March 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#8 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

the point I was making is the Stock Atlas is supposed to come with FF armor

#9 AZA311

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...increase-armor/

If armor was increased -

Roles would be enhanced. The Atlas would be seriously scary. There would be no confusion on the role of a medium mech. A scout could scout and live to tell about it.

Edited by AZA311, 13 March 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#10 Baltasar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostSgtMagor, on 13 March 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

I don't know a lot of atlas pilots that run ferro fibrous. Most run endo because it gives better weight and they end up not having enough crit slots for ferro with all the amazing weapons you can fit on an atlas.

#11 Relic1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationDying at the end of your cheese build!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Stock Atlases have never come with Ferro-Fibrous Armour...the only version that didis the AS7-K2, which is a Post - Jihad era mech....I'm sure someone will give you the details on how far in the future that is!

#12 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

However, Heavy Ferro-Fibrous appears to add more protection at the cost of 21 critical slots. Ferro-Lamellor reduces weapon damage by 20% and is protected from Armor Piercing rounds and Tasers.

Edited by Eddrick, 13 March 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#13 HugoStiglitz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Because of how precious the crit slots are on an Atlas, you don't want to ever put Ferro Fibrous armor on one since Endo Steel will give you more weight saved (5 tons with endo as compared to 2 from ferro) for the same crit slot cost (honestly though I wouldn't even do that because all my Atlas build run DHS and wouldn't have any room for any of the weapons I would want with Endo/Ferro). All in all they are best used on lights or some mediums where you don't have the weight for many weapons but you have plenty of extra crit slots.

View PostEddrick, on 13 March 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

However, Heavy Ferro-Fibrous appears to add more protection at the cost of 21 critical slots. Ferro-Lamellor reduces weapon damage by 20% and is protected from Armor Piercing rounds and Tasers.

Problem is look at the dates for those. That's 19 and 20 years from where were are right now.

#14 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

The Atlas II was a Clan Mech with Clan FF Armor, was it not?

Not many Atlas builds, canon or otherwise, had the crits available for Inner Sphere Endo Steel or Ferro Fibrous Armor, and the Battletech books were known to have some inaccuracies in descriptions, as well as "seemingly pointless" canon builds - like mechs that have CASE and XL Engines, or Mechs with a Compact Gyro that have plenty of crits available, or mechs that use FF Armor despite anyone and everyone knowing that Endo Steel was always better, hands down, every time, no matter what, period.

Edited by Kraven Kor, 13 March 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#15 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostHugoStiglitz, on 13 March 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Problem is look at the dates for those. That's 19 and 20 years from where were are right now.

I know. There always is the possibility that they may deside to jump ahead with the TimeLine if nothing is going on in the TimeLine at the moment and they are caught up or even ahead on development work. Not likly, but it could happen.

#16 Blue Boutique

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 481 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Atlas II was not a clan mech. It was built at the last years of the Star Leqgue and all were taken by the departing SLDF.

#17 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostSgtMagor, on 13 March 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

there is an Atlas thread, Attention: Atlas Pilots one thing that came up, is the Atlas will die just as quickly as any other mech on the field. now we all know the Atlas is supposed to be a mech that's supposed to be in the middle of a fight not hanging out taking pot shots. so I checked out the Atlas on Sarna.net and I noticed that the stock Atlas is supposed to come with Durallex heavy special armor, and the Atlas II which I think is based on the RS model is supposed to have star slab 2, armor. don't know anything about it except that its based on FF armor, if that's the case why doesn't the Atlai in MWO have this armor being its part of the stock loadout.

you wanna soak damage?

http://mwomercs.com/...06#entry1980906

#18 Sayyid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostSgtMagor, on 13 March 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

Ok kid, stop posting you are getting bad information and living on it.

AS7-D Atlas DOES NOT HAVE F-F armor!

Duralex Special Heavy is the brand and model of the armor it has from the factory. It has no special properties or abilities over stock armor in Battletech, Mechwarrior or even in Battleforce.

This doesnt mean that the Grand Dragon that has Starshield armor can actually stop a star from hurting it. Or its Lords Light 2 ERPPC is lighter than any other PPC out there.

#19 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostEddrick, on 13 March 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

None of which we have... So...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users