Seperate targeting for arms and torso, how?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Milkshaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

to quote some articles which have appeared "your arms and torso can target different enemies at the same time."

How will this work? does it mean that if I use my mouse to torso twist, i need a seperate key to turn my arms around to another target? or can I lock my arms' weapons onto a target in my view or something?

I'm quite curious about this, because this is something that concerns me a bit. I know a lot of people want a mech simulator so you might not see it that way, but to me it seems very complex (requiring extra controls or not being able to use your mouse cursor to aim with some weapons).

Any ideas how this will turn out?

Edited by Milkshaker, 09 March 2012 - 05:52 AM.

#2 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

This would be a good place to get an idea of what they are talking about...

http://mwomercs.com/...warfare-part-i/

Then watch the videos and see how it works in game.

#3 Milkshaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 09 March 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

This would be a good place to get an idea of what they are talking about...

http://mwomercs.com/...warfare-part-i/

Then watch the videos and see how it works in game.

Thanks! I read parts of the article yesterday, but I cant watch movies at work, so I havent checked those out yet :P

#4 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

There are 2 reticles, the arms and the torsoes. When you move your reticle, the torsoe reticle lags behind as arms aim at the target faster. When you use pilot look, you can move your arm reticle without moving the torsoe reticle.

#5 Milkshaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

View PostLongsword, on 09 March 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

There are 2 reticles, the arms and the torsoes. When you move your reticle, the torsoe reticle lags behind as arms aim at the target faster. When you use pilot look, you can move your arm reticle without moving the torsoe reticle.

Thanks! sounds like something I will mess up a lot :s I cant even imagine keeping 2 targets alligned with my crosshairs for both my torso and my arms.

I wonder what the function of this is. Is it to enable slow, heavy mechs a chance to target lighter faster mechs with their arms because their torso is too slow?
Or is it because targeting multiple mechs will be an integral and important part of the game?

#6 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

You cant really target multiple mechs with it- both reticles follow your mouse, its just one lags behind a bit.

#7 billyzero

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:08 AM

A little of both? For a highly skilled player, you could actually target two mechs at a time although I think this would be incredibly difficult. Out of the gate though, your weapons in your arms will slew faster than torso mounted weapons so if creates another layer of depth when configuring your mech.

If your a heavy and tired of that Jenner running circles around you, mounting a better weapon in the arms might help prevent that.

View PostLongsword, on 09 March 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

You cant really target multiple mechs with it- both reticles follow your mouse, its just one lags behind a bit.

I thought they said you could decouple the two reticules to allow for independt targeting but I could be mistaken.

#8 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

View PostLongsword, on 09 March 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

sure you can if you use pilot view and not turning torso..aka aim torso reticle vs 1 target then use pilot view to aim your arm reticle

from the text posted by devs:
The player can separate the reticles without having to move his ’Mech’s torso by activating pilot look. As the MechWarrior looks around, inside the cockpit, the reticle for the arms will follow where he is looking. When the player finishes pilot looking, the view and reticle will automatically return to face forward.

Edited by Naughtyboy, 09 March 2012 - 06:14 AM.

#9 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

Yeah, you can decouple with pilot view- but I doubt itll be doable to move both reticles at once- itd be more a case of *pilot look* shoot something with arms *pilot look off* NOW you get to aim your torsoe as normal. For most players it would mean pilot look only gets used to make quick snap shots to the sides rather than running around shooting two mechs at once accuratly.

#10 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostLongsword, on 09 March 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

Yeah, you can decouple with pilot view- but I doubt itll be doable to move both reticles at once- itd be more a case of *pilot look* shoot something with arms *pilot look off* NOW you get to aim your torsoe as normal. For most players it would mean pilot look only gets used to make quick snap shots to the sides rather than running around shooting two mechs at once accuratly.

Maybe if you only have a mouse. Bind torso twist to pedals and the arm movement to mouse and it looks like you should be able to aim your torso and arms independently if you're a mech god.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users