The dirty question of money, isnt it time for some answers?

56 replies to this topic

#1 Gabriel Amarell

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Many of us discovered Battletech in the early 1980’s on the shelves of some nerdy little comic shop when we chanced upon a sourcebook or technical readout. Drawn to the fantastic artwork we purchased that publication, took it home, admired that artwork, and at some point we started to read that technical readout or sourcebook and fell in love with the rich and unique fictional world we found on those pages. I still have my copy of Technical Readout 3025, purchased in a comic book shop in the mid 1980’s. Since that time I have played every Mechwarrior that has come out (aside from the semi recent fan created encarnations) from the original Mechwarrior, threw Mechwarrior 2 in all its various forms, including Ghostbears Legacy, and of course Mercinaries, Mechwarrior 3 and the expansion Pirates Moon, Mechwarrior 4 and every expansion, including the mechpacks, and every entry into the Mechcommander series. Each incarnation has had its strengths and its weaknesses but like many of you, I enjoyed them all and play them to this day from time to time.

The last entry into the series was released in November 2002 10 years ago by Microsoft who fans feared would ruin the series. After releasing Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance, Black Knight, and Mercenaries (which I would argue were very respectable if obviously flawed titles) those fears came true in the form of the disastrous Mechassault titles and Mechwarrior quietly faded away. After 7 years, seemingly out of nowhere a new video appeared on the internet, Mechwarrior was back. The video was more than fans could have hoped for, gorgeous graphics and tantalizing hints of game play elements that hearkened back to those earlier incarnations of the property that began our love of the simulator titles. But news of legal troubles over the right to use certain iconic imagery, what have been clandestinely termed the “unseen” and word of Microsoft’s refusal to allow the property to be licensed on the PS3 along with other factors including a major recession seemed to dash our hopes and once again Mechwarrior faded away.

Now, here, in March 2012 we are seeing for the 1st time actual game play footage of the Mechwarrior Online. For months the developers at Piranha have said the words we wanted to hear, made promises we felt were too good to be true, and yet seeing the footage, I dare to hope that this title will be what Piranha has promised; a true successor, faithful to the Battletech that we know and love, a simulator title of depth complexity and beauty. I feared that the developers were setting me up for disappointment, that they would never be able to deliver on the promises that they were making but seeing the in game footage (albeit pre-beta) this title might just live up to the expectations, and let me say, with a property such as this one, beloved by fans around the world that would truly be impressive. You’ve talked the talk, Piranha, every indication is that you’re walking the walk, despite the odds you have us believing.

Now that we’ve seen enough, now that were convinced that this just might be the game we all hope it could be, now that we have begun to believe isn’t it about time to answer the remaining question. The one that no one’s talking about because saying the words feels dirty, the question of money. Every fan realizes that game studios spend tremendous amounts of money developing titles and that in the end they do so to make money (perhaps I’m a romantic, but I truly want to believe that the “good” studios also do it, at least on some level, for love of the game) So then, the bottom line, assuming that nothing crops up between now and release to shake my faith I am prepared to open my wallet and show my support, isn’t it time to announce, IN DETAIL how this will shake down.

I realize pre-beta that nothing is set in stone, I accept that any announcement made at this stage is subject to change, but you (Piranha, the development team) must have a model in place at this time. As things stand today, what will we (the players) be paying for, how much will those things cost, how will payments be made? The idea of “micro-transactions” scares me, I have visions of supplying a credit card number and logging in, playing for a week or two and finding a $200 charge on my credit card because I had “bought” stuff that I didn’t know I was buying. I don’t know much about the F2P model but it worries me. I am willing to open up my wallet and support the games I love, but the idea that an atlas costs “real” money bothers me, what if it gets destroyed, do I need to buy another one? Or re-specing my pilot, I played wow a long time and I must have re-speced 100 times. I am one of those who would frontload everything, pay for let’s say 3 mechwarriors, each with max storage space (for mechs and equipment) and then play for in game money to buy mechs/equipment. Assuming I enjoy the game as much as I am predicting, I would make other purchases to financially support it, but I do not want to pay for things I do every day in game, like re-specing, or changing the loadout on my mech.

The game is set to be released this summer, from the look of it at this point I think that date might even be realistic. You have us hooked, were ready to believe that this is the game we hoped it could be, barring a disastrous beta were ready to put our money where our mouths are isn’t it time to announce, in detail, exactly what will be paid for, how much it will cost, how payments will work.

#2 Tryg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

While I'm certain a full company of folks will be able to shred a few of those fears for you, it is entirely likely that an actual cost-breakdown of what they're wanting to offer isn't fully realized yet. There's been a great deal of speculation on the forums by many of us, some of it reasonable, some of it rather out there. But ultimately, I suspect you'll not be getting more then a few reassuring words from the dev team till much closer to the release.

Having played other f2p titles before, my experience has been that you really can't 'accidentally' run up your charges, at least in the games I've run, it's been quite obvious when you're spending real world currency. And as far as a respec for your pilot, it won't be necessary. It's been stated already that eventually a pilot will unlock all of the skills. So there aren't choices you'll make at the cost of others. You will be able to max out everything, negating the need to include any such respec feature.

#3 Kyle Dragon Kurita

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

Just do it like Star Trek Online. Make it free to play and sell goodies that you may or may not want to buy. If I could buy ER PPCs for my MAD CAT MKII and mix up some other variants maybe I would pay. Now if I can smash a clanner and take his stuff and build my own variants then I wouldn't mind taking the time to build it during game play. Players willing to fork up dough to do this should only be able to do this at hire ranks just to keep the balance. I mean I'd stop playing if I keep getting killed by the rich kid with his dad's credit card buying up all the tech. I think rewards should be given for fighting skills (kinda like xp points in BlackOps or ModWarfare).

#4 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

ill tell you what im willing to pay for.

Cosmetics: things like custom paint schemes, like a bounty hunter green with dollar signs, hula girls, things like that
Space: extra hanger space for more mechs if some are in the repair bay. maybe bigger drop ships so i can have more drops?
Time: exp boosters to speed time. instant repairs, or repair speed boosters if repairs take real time.
C-bills: $1=1,000,000 C-bills seems like a good conversion
Equiptment: All mods, weapons, mechs, ONLY IF ALSO PURCHASABLE WITH C-bills in game, as any equiptment only sold in cash shop could/would be considered P2W.
Planet/Private Server: i would pay for a private server/planet within the gaming universe where i can set my own rules like hardcore mode, gravity, heat

Edited by Namwons, 10 March 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#5 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

Yes, actually it is time to talk about money. And no, not what I or anyone else would pay for, but what the costs exactly are once MWO is released.

#6 Celestial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

Sorry, TL;DR.
But I know they said that nothing is concrete yet and I don't think they will share any information on this until they are absolutely positive that it will stay that way.
In other words we probably won't find out until just before release.

#7 Colonel Bogey

• PipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 56 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

I think you are overreacting. Have you ever played a f2p? The store is actually quite an interesting method of, more or less trade. I find it is a way for players who have time and players who have money to meet in the middle. Usually everything you can get in time you can buy instantly, using real money. Some people abuse this true, however, when you think about that, its a good thing. The more money a f2p makes through the small purchases, the more content they can afford to release, the more staff they can afford, etc.

If you do not want to pay for a f2p, you don't. If you have not liked the f2p, all it has taken is a little bit of your time. If you love it, enjoy the time you spend on it, and feel like treating yourself to some new mechs or maybe want to personalize a mech, I would imagine that is when you will pay money. You will probably enjoy it.

#8 Audiophase

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationYakima Wa,

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

Ugh really? all this Free to Play model (censored)... Please... PLEASE just make the game cost $40-$60 with like a $10-15 subscription fee... Come on thats not HORRABLE to pay for when it means everyone that plays will have the same assess to items and stuff. Really compare playing a free to play MMO over WoW, you feel handycapped and feel forced to pay real money and it just is awkward as hell. I just learned about this game and sooo pumped to play. I'm throwing my credit card at my monitor right now... bad idea cuz its scratching the hell out of it... but non the less MY HOPES ARE SO HIGH FOR THIS GAME... I <3 mechwarrior

#9 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

View PostAudiophase, on 10 March 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

Ugh really? all this Free to Play model (censored).. Please... PLEASE just make the game cost $40-$60 with like a $10-15 subscription fee... Come on thats not HORRABLE to pay for when it means everyone that plays will have the same assess to items and stuff. Really compare playing a free to play MMO over WoW, you feel handycapped and feel forced to pay real money and it just is awkward as hell. I just learned about this game and sooo pumped to play. I'm throwing my credit card at my monitor right now... bad idea cuz its scratching the hell out of it... but non the less MY HOPES ARE SO HIGH FOR THIS GAME... I <3 mechwarrior

Oh look, I get to link this video again.

#10 Parhelion

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:49 AM

I think it's time the Dev's start shipping out Prozac and Valium. There are way too many people going way too crazy over things that 1) they have no control over and 2) will have all of their answers as the release approaches. Good grief guys.

#11 BadgerDrool

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

I don't think Pirana should commit too heavily to discussing their cost model yet. There's still a lot to see mechanics wise and that's important to gauge a price system. I'd think it'd be better if they talked about their philosphy in regards to their transaction system.

Edited by BadgerDrool, 10 March 2012 - 01:53 AM.

#12 Dr Killinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:55 AM

View PostCake Bandit, on 10 March 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

Oh look, I get to link this video again.

Wow, that was really 10 minutes well spent. I think everyone should watch that video- it makes a lot of sense, and it seems to be the direction that PGI is taking MWO. I hope the devs are taking notes :P

#13 wpmaura

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

View PostDr.Killinger, on 10 March 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

Wow, that was really 10 minutes well spent. I think everyone should watch that video- it makes a lot of sense, and it seems to be the direction that PGI is taking MWO. I hope the devs are taking notes :P

I almost wish the developers would comment on that video

#14 Dr Killinger

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:17 AM

View Postwpmaura, on 10 March 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

I almost wish the developers would comment on that video

I was thinking the very same thing!

*Ahem* devs? :P

#15 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

They have, actually. I posted it ages ago and I believe the sentiment was "This is great."

I actually found the post for you.

Edited by Cake Bandit, 10 March 2012 - 03:56 AM.

#16 Carebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

I really loved APB, 10 dollar premium for 1 month, then rent couple guns for 5 dollar. You can play 4 month until you've spent "normal" game price.

#17 Alan Grant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLooking for hidden caches, within the BT Novels™

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

Here's what I think:

April Micro-transaction [Raptor] Month!!!

We've got time, Piranha haven't let us down yet. They'll discuss it when they're ready, not to say we shouldn't be asking the hard questions.

Also, that video was awes... Grrre... Really informative, thanks. Pretty much summed up, and vocalised how I feel about MT.

#18 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

My guess, to everyone who would prefer to pay $50 up front and then $10 monthly, is this: Buy $50 worth of C-Bills the day it comes out and another $10 worth every month. Problem solved. :P

#19 nightsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

Look lets get real If you have played any online game the facts are out there clear as a bell Pay to play vs. Free to play. Don't tell me your stupid enough to think that free to play is actually free if it were why would anyone pay the millions it takes to develop and then set u servers for a worldwide audience. Nothing is free in life that is worth having. The free to play model is hopping that the wallet warriors show up and dump cash on a regular basis so revenue is only limited by the amount of variables you can price and offer. This is a very simple model that says ok some drops $100 a week and that pays for the 5 players that don't. Free to play creates a purely caste system (hint: I am against it) Pay to play sets the bar even it leaves the playing field with the variables determined by choices an individual makes, Strategy, and play style. The problem is for an investor it is also high risk. If the game fails to catch on (to many already in that dump) then you stand to lose big time, Wow is the exception and no one has had the same success not that some have not achieved success but the dream is to be bringing it in bushel baskets not crossing your fingers and hoping you make the utility bill this month.

I would advocate for the new emerging hybrid system with a nominal fee to cover the overhead and the Micro transactions to pad the profits and to help pay for future development. But either way look at the market they are likely to be hoping to see on average $60.00 US per player per year. More is great less is bad. So you can start saving up your pennies and ask Mom for her Credit Card number because nothing is free in Life NOTHING.

Unless your looking to run a commando for ever and be the first off the field everygame.

#20 Ant0nm

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

I really like the Tribes Ascend and World of Tanks way of doing F2P. I hope MWO will have something similar or better. If I really like the game Im playing I dont mind paying a small amount of money to, for example, boost my Xp gain/battle. Its still cheaper than buying MW3 for 60€ and then not playing it because it sucks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users