Once a Pirate, Always a Pirate

29 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

(15 March 3049)

I love and commend our brothers in blue. While First Prince Hanse Davion held the vision for an empire unlike any since the fall of the Star League, it was Archon Katrina Steiner of the Lyran Commonwealth whose passion for peace made her contact the other House leaders…a call the First Prince answered. This ultimately led to the signing of the Federated Commonwealth Alliance Document in 3022. While its nascent form provided for the sharing of military, scientific and intelligence information, it also laid the groundwork for the eventual merging of our two Houses into the super-state we currently enjoy.

Furthermore, this has by no means been a one-sided endeavor. Each successor to the long-lost throne of the Star League—House Davion and House Steiner—has brought invaluable resources to the table that have heralded the forging of this thousand-light-year-spanning empire. While our Lyran brothers may not always have possessed the military acumen of the Federated Suns, these merchant princes have maintained an economy that is the envy of the Inner Sphere. A power station that has fueled the emergence of our great State, from civilian industry, to long-lost military technologies, to the mighty growth of the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth that protect hundreds of worlds across our vast borders.

Despite this common ground and my own admiration, I must take exception to House Steiner’s recent envoy to the Marian Hegemony. While no official press release from House Davion has denounced this action, inside sources have divulged extreme displeasure.

The Marian Hegemony clothes itself in the finest silks and its speakers offer to the public discourse the most stirring orations concerning government, freedoms and the needs of their people. Yet scratch the surface even slightly and you’ll find their pirate roots festering beneath.

Despite their growing influence in the Periphery regions near Steiner and Marik space, they are no better than the Oberon Confederation to our coreward borders…thieves, scoundrels and pirates, the lot of them. Despite his self-styling as Caesar ever since his ascendancy in 3048 following the death of his father, Marian leader Sean O’Reilly has done nothing but expand his military and attempt to procure legitimacy through aping the emperor’s clothes of the Roman Empire of ancient Terra. Sean is now and forever will be a pirate...and I caution House Steiner against treating with such devils.

After all, we are one House and must ensure that everyone agrees before inviting such undesirables into the parlor.

—Olivia Daver, Commonwealth Press

#2 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Periphery States? An added wrinkle to the community warfare section? Periphery territories could be a nice addition to the star map, and allow mercs to fight some people with little to know consequences. Question is - will they be playable? I hope so eventually

Edited by Listless Nomad, 15 March 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#3 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

Daddy, is that you?!?!?

#4 trajan331

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Just to show that I don't strictly follow the House line.... As a Davion supporter I support the Lyran attempt to enter into negotiations with the Marian Hegemony. We should give them the chance to build on their success and, grow into a legitamate state. We can hope that with our support that they can be a thorn in the side of the Free Worlds League and some of the other periphery nations. Hail to the space romans!

#5 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

It would be mroe than awesome is the MH were a faction you could play for. While I'm gonna go Drac for my main pilot, I could see playing a secondary pilot for the MH. Little bit of Roman up and coming Periphery Nations never hurt anyone. MH has some tough fighters.

#6 Tyrell Biggs

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCavanaugh II

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

*Tyrell looks at his Tech with a laugh* Ain't it politics that got us into this s*** mess in the first damn place?

#7 Nakir

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationItaly (Sicily)

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

I love Periphery States!I hope to see them in the game in the near future.
Marian Hegemony would be the favorite periphery state among Italians :P !!!

Simply because it is based on the structure of the old Roman Empire.

#8 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Bah, the only difference between the Pirate lords and any of the so-called "Great Houses" is the scale of their empires! Guess it's all a question of who can buy "legitimacy" in the press... :P

But comparing the Hegemony to the Oberon Confederation is a serious insult... To Hendrik Grimm III! :P

#9 Bullwerk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 185 posts
  • LocationBremerton, Wa

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

Just remember, with out politics there'd be no wars for you to fight MechWarrior.

#10 PowerCergOne

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

You think maybe this some kind of player vs AI game type being "announced"?

#11 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

really? i find the Marian Hegemony far less offensive than the comstar dogs Davion has been catching fleas off of

#12 stabwest

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationStrahna Mechty

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

Perhaps it is time for us pirates to raid the Federated Suns just a bit more, let's show the Davion scum what a real pirate can do. I bet Hanse will cry like baby while we loot and pillage New Avalon.

#13 VIEJODIABLO

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yeah

Does the timberwolf changed its name? In mw2 it was my favorite, I'm a bit lost in the game story, and don't know anything about the book story

#14 stabwest

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationStrahna Mechty

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostVIEJODIABLO, on 15 March 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

Yeah

Does the timberwolf changed its name? In mw2 it was my favorite, I'm a bit lost in the game story, and don't know anything about the book story

you should try looking things up at sarna.net
http://www.sarna.net...f_%28Mad_Cat%29

basically the IS calls clan mechs by different designations than what the clans use for them, because they don't really know what the clans have named them. Much like how NATO used to designate names for soviet aircraft without knowing what the soviets called them.

#15 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

For all of those who don't like the MH being called pirates, keep in mind that part of their economy and social class is based on human trafficking. '[color="#000000"]The Hegemony is the largest Periphery nation to practice slavery, and openly condones it.' I bet many in the FWL would consider calling the MH 'pirates'as being too polite. [/color]

#16 nobodyhasthis

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

It's good to remember that Katrina Steiner was such a force for peace! I'm sure her granddaughter Katherine will follow in her footsteps :ph34r:.

#17 Larry Headrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Locationoklahoma

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

I'm from Old Earth, You know the Sol system?
I became a merc so i could get away from those Comstar idiots. don't rightly know much about the periphery. *spits*
If they show up I Figure they'll go down just like all the rest who end up under my cross hairs.

#18 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

Sean O'Reilly? well maybe not a pirate, but certainly a dirty irish gypsy from the sound of things! (no actual harm intended, just thinking of why the auther would call them pirates hehe)

#19 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

Hail, Caesar! Long live the Roman Space Pirates!

Mercenaries take note, the Marian Hegemony has deep pockets thanks to the Germanium reserves discovered on Alphard. However, they are indoubitably a nation founded on piracy. Much like the Romans enslaved Greek tutors and scholars, the Marian Hegemony has been expanding its culture and wisdom with the unwilling help of bondsmen from the Inner Sphere. Trained technicians and other skilled workers are especially valuable in the Periphery. The Hegemony has been so successful that few Marians question the wisdom of the O'Reilly family social experiment that grafted Roman culture onto their fledgling Periphery nation.

#20 Insidious Johnson

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

Marion Hegemony! Hope it is playable faction.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users