68 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

With all this MWO talk, I decided to read some history and see where the universe went shortly after the FedCom civil war. I saw that just last summer the War of Reaving had been released, finally spilling the beans on what happened with the Clans post-Jihad. Wow...since im not sure if many have read this or are ready to face reality yet...

^^^DO NOT READ ANYMORE IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE UNIVERSE OR TOO ATTACHED TOO YOUR CLAN TO HANDLE WHAT WENT DOWN FROM 3067-3073**

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

That being said, IMO this was the first Jihad-era fiction that felt as if it actually fit into the Battletech universe. It was brutal, shook things up, killed major players, etc etc. While I cannot say I am happy with the destruction of multiple Clans and Bloodnames, this felt real since you have a society built for war stuck with a truce. The Refusal War should have been a sign to the Clans of the dangers of infighting and their rivalries. No doubt Kerensky was rolling in his grave. Orbital bombardment, genetic repositories destroyed, civilian targets? This is almost more brutal than the Succession Wars

It also sets up future conflicts between the abjured Clans (Falcon, Wolf, Bear, Cat, etc.) and the Homeworld Clans.

Anyone else get their hands on this?

#2 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

I will soon, I have it on order with Operation Klondike

#3 Kartr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

What's the point of this post? Why are there spoiler warnings? There's no spoilers and absolutely zero information about what happens in the book. This feels like a "I like the sound of my voice" post rather than one that talks about a subject and invites dialog.

Next time you create a "Spoiler" thread, put some real information in there or don't bother.

#4 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

I Think the spoiler tag is meant for the fact it is to discuss the WoR sourcebook which will lead to spoilers in the thread.

#5 Kartr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

He promises spoilers and fails to deliver, its false advertising.

#6 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

/pity clan blood spirit

#7 cinco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostKartr, on 18 March 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

What's the point of this post? Why are there spoiler warnings? There's no spoilers and absolutely zero information about what happens in the book. This feels like a "I like the sound of my voice" post rather than one that talks about a subject and invites dialog.

Next time you create a "Spoiler" thread, put some real information in there or don't bother.

perfect characterization. "i like the sound of my own voice"

#8 Kartr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

View Postcinco, on 18 March 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

perfect characterization. "i like the sound of my own voice"

Right? I came here looking to get some information about the War of Reaving, and got nothing.

#9 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostKartr, on 18 March 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

He promises spoilers and fails to deliver, its false advertising.

If this is a discussion of the War of Reaving, undoubtedly someone will bring up how
-Blood Spirit bit the dust
-So did Fire Mandrill
-Clan Burrock did as well...for the second time
-Ice Hellion was absorbed
-Goliath Scorpion is now a periphery state that could barely beat a pirate kingdom
-Clan Steel Viper was literally nuked to kingdom come
-Hell's Horses moved to the Inner Sphere...
-...except for those who stayed behind and became Clan Stone Lion
-Vlad Ward did not die in mortal combat with Phelan, instead by a quad of PPC's
-Genetic virus warfare
-Council of Six
...etc. etc.

Point is I don't want to start a thread talking about this stuff and have some poor newbie have everything ruined for him as well as a fan of any of the Clans above have his day ruined. I didn't post a lot of spoilers because I was just getting the ball rolling.

View PostKartr, on 18 March 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

Right? I came here looking to get some information about the War of Reaving, and got nothing.

Ask and ye shall receive

Edited by Hawkeye 72, 18 March 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#10 JackCrow

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 95 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

I really enjoyed it, but..... I thought it covered to much ground and jumped around too much. I think the could have covered the whole period with two distinct books.

The Society uprising was a long time come coming...

#11 Storm McIntyre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostHawkeye 72, on 18 March 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

If this is a discussion of the War of Reaving, undoubtedly someone will bring up how
-So did Fire Mandrill
-Goliath Scorpion is now a periphery state that could barely beat a pirate kingdom
-Genetic virus warfare
-Council of Six
...etc. etc.

Point is I don't want to start a thread talking about this stuff and have some poor newbie have everything ruined for him as well as a fan of any of the Clans above have his day ruined. I didn't post a lot of spoilers because I was just getting the ball rolling.

Ask and ye shall receive

All righty, that officially got my interest up. Going shopping tomorrow to spend money I don't have on things I just convinced myself I gotta have.

#12 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostJackCrow, on 18 March 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

I really enjoyed it, but..... I thought it covered to much ground and jumped around too much. I think the could have covered the whole period with two distinct books.

The Society uprising was a long time come coming...

I'm not quite sure anyone was surprised at that. Hints had been dropped for years and the Clans seemed rather full of themselves that the IS was the only threat. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing some of these events fleshed out further, and wish instead of jumping ahead 150 years, wizkids just kept going forward and got Stackpole, Coleman, etc. to write novels about these events.

#13 David Decoster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • LocationBrugge, Belgium, Terra

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

I don't know... I actually quite liked the DA series of novels...

#14 Chromoid

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostHawkeye 72, on 18 March 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

-So did Fire Mandrill
-Genetic virus warfare
-Council of Six
...etc. etc.

Ask and ye shall receive

Newbie here, having my day ruined ;)

It's ok though, I just enjoy the games. Already too hooked on the WH40k universe to handle another one.

#15 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostDavid Decoster, on 18 March 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

I don't know... I actually quite liked the DA series of novels...

Some of them were actually very good. But the time gap was annoying, especially after DA lost steam. Instead of hiring these writers to keep the current story going, their efforts went towards and era that will probably remain dead for awhile (idk I don't see many DA/AoD games going anymore and the last novel of that era was written years ago)

#16 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Poor, poor Blood Spirit. Those crazy sob's went out the same way they lived: fighting a war against impossible odds. *salutes*

Clan Fire Mandrill? Let's face it: they were just lunatics. I always figured they'd take themselves out eventually.

#17 Slapshot

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Yeah, none of this impossible crap happened in my mind. The blatant favoritism some factions receive is just ridiculous! Could Burrock have just survived? Maybe? God give just a bit a bit of an expansion to a faction that existed until 3059 but has barely any history...? Nope, lets just kill them again yeah that's imaginative as hell!

Could the Blood Spirits just be allowed to live on their ONE FREAKING WORLD!!???! Nope! Got to prop up the bloated victories of CSA.

Could the Ice Hellions win just ONE FREAKING CAMPAIGN!! Just at least secure some kind of beachhead in the I.S? Just some small bit of victory, just a taste? NOPE! As a side note, besides only knowing the facts of what happened, why did the Hellions choose the freaking Falcons to attack? Hmm let me give it five seconds of thought and realize if they were to launch a ridiculous attack on an I.S invasion zone why not choose the wolves? THE ONE FREAKING ENEMY THEY HAVE!!

Whatever, it's just a bunch of unimaginative nonsense. Bunch of writers hating on the smaller factions who actually have personality and propping up the boring ones that are always jammed down our throats.

Just how I feel, you don't have to feel the same way.

Oh yeah, and a massive spiraling chaotic crazy event happens roughly the same time as the Jihad... Yeah, genius...

It was all just a bad dream...

Edited by Slapshot, 18 March 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#18 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostSlapshot, on 18 March 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

Yeah, none of this impossible crap happened in my mind. The blatant favoritism some factions receive is just ridiculous! Could Burrock have just survived? Maybe? God give just a bit a bit of an expansion to a faction that existed until 3059 but has barely any history...? Nope, lets just kill them again yeah that's imaginative as hell!

Could the Blood Spirits just be allowed to live on their ONE FREAKING WORLD!!???! Nope! Got to prop up the bloated victories of CSA.

Could the Ice Hellions win just ONE FREAKING CAMPAIGN!! Just at least secure some kind of beachhead in the I.S? Just some small bit of victory, just a taste? NOPE! As a side note, besides only knowing the facts of what happened, why did the Hellions choose the freaking Falcons to attack? Hmm let me give it five seconds of thought and realize if they were to launch a ridiculous attack on an I.S invasion zone why not choose the wolves? THE ONE FREAKING ENEMY THEY HAVE!!

Whatever, it's just a bunch of unimaginative nonsense. Bunch of writers hating on the smaller factions who actually have personality and propping up the boring ones that are always jammed down our throats.

Just how I feel, you don't have to feel the same way.

Oh yeah, and a massive spiraling chaotic crazy event happens roughly the same time as the Jihad... Yeah, genius...

It was all just a bad dream...

Yup, I hate it for ya.

I know I'm not the only one who wishes that Cataylst had just retconned Dark Age.

I actually didn't have a huge problem with the concept of the Jihad given that the WoB was an established faction and had already taken over Terra in 3058, but the manner in which the Jihad was fleshed out by the writers left a lot to be desired (putting it mildly...a single relatively small cult perpetrates an all out war on the IS which is far more effective than the Clan Invasion...please).

The Wars of Reaving is just one more reason why I stop paying attention to the narrative after 3067. I actually liked Blood Spirit a lot. They had moxy. They deserved better.

Edited by Jack Gammel, 18 March 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#19 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

The War of Reaving wasn't surprising. The Homeworld Clans were becoming far too jealous of the IS Clans having the benefit of IS worlds and resources. You ask why Blood Spirit, Hellion, etc couldn't have any victories? It's because the Kerensky Cluster was overcrowded and running out of resources. Homeworld Clans were sending out expeditionary forces to find more worlds to colonize but failing. Hellion striking the Falcons was rather dumb, but it was done more out of desperation after suffering numerous losses to the other Clans. They figured the Falcons were still weak after the Refusal War.

The Refusal War should have been a sign to all the Clans that something bigger was coming. For too long inter-Clan hatred had been brewing and with the Warden faction dominating politics, you suddenly have a large number of Clans built for war but having nothing to fight. It was a recipe for disaster.

Like I said, this is the first material since 3067 that I felt fit the atmosphere, but I still cannot determine if I liked it or not. Enjoyable and I am giving it a second read to pick up on any details I missed.

I agree with Gammel on the Jihad...WoB collectively owning the IS was rather surprising and unbelievable. The Clans suffering the equivalent of a Civil War that shreds their homeworlds after the invasion was considered dead? Very believable, but sad to see a lot of Clans disappear. I think what bugs me most about it is knowing how several of the Clans end up selling themselves out to the Inner Sphere in Dark Age.

I would like the War of Reaving a lot more if it ended with the Clans reuniting or launching a second invasion and actually CAPTURE TERRA. Something besides them integrating with the IS and becoming the equivalent of another great house.

View PostJack Gammel, on 18 March 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

Poor, poor Blood Spirit. Those crazy sob's went out the same way they lived: fighting a war against impossible odds. *salutes*

Clan Fire Mandrill? Let's face it: they were just lunatics. I always figured they'd take themselves out eventually.

IMO Blood Spirits had it coming. And Fire Mandrill was nuts. Always felt uneasy about their stability.

#20 Slapshot

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

This fiction destroyed the home clans and left those still alive in an unrecognizable state.

I agree the storyline should be moved forward but you can work with the status quo rather than rail against it. A bit of subtlety would work better, refine the storyline, not re-invent it. The constant need to fix what isn't broken, that has always annoyed me.

Edited by Slapshot, 18 March 2012 - 07:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users