ISN News Flash

16 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

Tues. March 20, 3049: NAIS published paper “Resurrecting Nighthawk. XXI” in a bid to raise funds to explore the creation of “battle armor”.

#2 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

Posted Image

The Nighthawk Mk. XXI was a light power armor design, also known as a PAL or PA(L), and the great granddaddy of Battle Armor designs to come later in the timeline. The original Nighthawk was based upon exoskeletons that were used for commercial purposes during the Star League. It took fifteen years and twenty prototypes before the SLDF finally saw the design that would eventually be produced. Apparently even the SLDF had problems "back in the day".

The first working prototype was designed in 2718, which was followed by two years of field testing before it went in to full production. Nighthawk numbers were never large as the SLDF wanted to keep its existence a secret, an endeavor they were successful in, thanks in no large part to the accomplishment of their black ops forces, the Blackhearts.

The design was lost following the fall of the Star League and the onset of the Succession Wars, however later on down the road, the Word of Blake and ComStar were successful in creating a design that duplicated the abilities of the original Nighthawk armor.

The Nighthawk itself is little more than a heavily-armored sneak suit with an integral ECM Suite. It only has enough armor to stop a support Machine Gun and no integrated weapons systems. The armor does have stealth capabilities, enabling Nighthawks to move undetected, and it makes them more difficult to target if they are fired upon. They are also quite mobile, able to leap up to ninety meters at a time, and come equipped with an Extended Life Support system.

The Bounty Hunter, a mysterious figure whom first appeared in the late 2900s, wore a unique PA(L) suit. He (or she) initially only took contracts on notorious criminals, who were more often than not brought back dead. There are no real specifics in regards to the model, capabilities or source of his armor.

#3 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

:D

I wonder if anyone ever thought of mixing this technology with powered underwater diving suits...?

Edited by Prosperity Park, 20 March 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#4 laxtonto

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

I would absolutely love to see the power suits be incorporated into this.. Well that and combined arms units in general.

#5 Trevnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

I wonder if anyone ever thought of mixing this technology with powered underwater diving suits...?

Sorta. The Elemental battle Armour was actually derived from a underwater mining suit.

Clan Goliath Scorpion

Staunch Wardens, the Goliath Scorpions value precision over brute force, while believing strongly in visions and quests. They take Necrosia, based on the venom of the Goliath scorpion to aid in these visions. This Clan believes in looking to the past in order to rebuild the Star League, piece by piece. They are fiercely devoted to Clan Wolf. Many claim within the Clans if not for their visions and quests they would be an extremely powerful force to be reckoned with. Their unique organizational scheme within their touman (even more detailed than the Jade Falcons) and knowledge of the old Star League Defense Force strategy and tactics would make them a well-oiled engine of destruction. It was this clan that invented power armor for infantry. Early designs were based on underwater mining suits. Clan Wolf then perfected these early designs, and combined with genetically engineered super infantry led to the production of the Elemental. The Elemental is still the single most prominent Battle Armor for the Clans.

Edited by Lt Trevnor, 20 March 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#6 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

I hope this post is more then just about lore to give the universe flavor. Battle armor would be nice. Where is that GDL Memory Core? I swear I saw it around here somewhere.....

#7 Smoke Banshee

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

I thought the Nighthawk wasn't in the Helm core? It's not mention in TRO: 2750 which show what's in the memory core.
If I remember right, Comstar are the only guys who've even heard of them at this point.

#8 Stone Profit

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

ZOMG this means there will be battle armor in the game! No, not really, but that would be fun, right? Up til now, people have said that things appearing in the fluff posts would be ingame, and all of them could have been so far, but no BA unfortunately.

Edited by Stone Profit, 20 March 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#9 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

The Nighthawk Mk. XXI is a power armor (light) [PA(L)] design and the progenitor of Battle Armor.

I played in a table top campain using 2nd edition rules, were the GM let us combine an Ballistic Plate armor and an exoskeleton. We recruited troopers with only Build 7. They had 3 points each, 2 being the suit and one point being them. They had the heaviest support weapon we could place on them and personal jump jets. they were a surprise factor only. Great for ambushs and anti-infantry.

#10 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

View PostLt Trevnor, on 20 March 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

Sorta. The Elemental battle Armour was actually derived from a underwater mining suit.

Orly? :D

#11 Siilk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 20 March 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Tues. March 20, 3049: NAIS published paper “Resurrecting Nighthawk. XXI” in a bid to raise funds to explore the creation of “battle armor”.

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 20 March 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

creation of “battle armor”.

Posted Image

#12 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

Waaat . . .

#13 HighlandWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

The possibilities this presents for the future, very nice

#14 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

The possibilities... I can see near-Bankrupt Merc Corps filling their entire ranks with Battle Armor...

Not really... This battle armor might make for some good objective-based missions, though...

Edited by Prosperity Park, 20 March 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#15 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hm, darn, 8 years to wait roundabout till access to Longinus or Achilleus BA still... ;)

#16 Pandalaimon

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

hello

#17 GD26

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

I hope this post is more then just about lore to give the universe flavor. Battle armor would be nice. Where is that GDL Memory Core? I swear I saw it around here somewhere..... - AdamBaines

I don’t think you saw it. We’re still holding to it under tight security. :)
We’ll exploit the findings as we’ll see fit for our own purposes.
As far as sharing it…Depends on the value of the contracts we’d be presented with and the contractors. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users