A Page from the Pillar of Ivory

20 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

(20 March 3049)

Birth is painful, sickness is painful, wounds in battle are painful, old age is painful, death is painful. This is the noble truth that leads to the cessation of all pain: the meaning of life will not be found through individual striving, but by becoming part of the web of society.

I glance up from my reading as a monk enters the small library. His red robe with its ivory mantle, light blue boots and knotted belt proclaim him a traveling monk; the dusty hem speaks even louder of his vocation. The man (or woman, impossible to tell in the voluminous outfit with its one-way mirror visor) passes sedately by, heading deeper into the library. My fingers twitch with desire, but I refrain from interrupting the smooth flow of his purpose.

Instead, my thoughts return to the massive scroll before me and its five companion scrolls on the shelf across from me. The scents of fine parchment and ink evoke happier memories of a younger self. While usually bound as books across the breadth of the Combine, here, in the Order of the Five Pillars’ own sanctum, the Dictum Honorium—the bedrock of Combine society—receives exquisite care, with a set of exceptionally illustrated scrolls. As though in homage to the finest illustrated Christian Bibles penned during the Dark Ages of ancient Terra, modern-day monks have spent multiple lifetimes crafting these exquisite works of art.

Like any upstanding citizen of the Combine, I’ve read the Dictum Honorium in its entirety; though some volumes speak more to me than others, such as the passage just read. And how could this not be, as the Dictum has roots firmly planted in Shintoism, Confucianism, Buddhism and even Taoism. Millennia of culture and beliefs distilled to fill the life of every Combine citizen with a purpose appropriate to their station.

I have found that purpose, as have all who live a life single-mindedly devoted to the greater glory of the Dragon. My heart fills with compassion and thanks to First Keeper of the Family Honor, Omi Kurita, who worked her entire life to craft this vessel of empowerment for our society, as well as to all the Keepers through seven centuries of guarding our honor.

—Shintaro Maku, Combine Press

#2 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hey Ghost, come shed some light for everyone :D

#3 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

I can feel Paul's pro-Kurita agenda oozing over and prompting all these dang Pillar post. :D

Here you go, ivory pillar (resin).
Posted Image

Edited by Dihm, 20 March 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#4 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

I believe that's Randalls pro-Kurita agenda :D

#5 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Why can't we have at least one Cappie in the dev team? :D

I already see him drinking with Metro and others in a pub on green New Avalon. :D

#6 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 20 March 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

I believe that's Randalls pro-Kurita agenda :D

I just assume that Paul has him under his thumb.

#7 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

Always room for more Kuritan agenda :D

#8 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostDihm, on 20 March 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

I can feel Paul's pro-Kurita agenda oozing over and prompting all these dang Pillar post. :D

While the 5 pillars are meant for Draconic society, even if one is opposed to our nations goals, there are lessons to be leanred from our methods of finding harmony. Just as there are methods to be found in learning from other society's successes. For are we not all human?

I do not take pride in killing the warriors of other nations. I take pride in protecting the citizens of my nation.

No matter one's place in society, one must take humbleness in all things.

すべての物事に謙虚

View PostAdridos, on 20 March 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

Why can't we have at least one Cappie in the dev team?

Backstabbing...

Edited by verybad, 20 March 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#9 phalanx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBenjamin District

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostPaladin Brewer, on 20 March 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

Always room for more Kuritan agenda philosophy :D

Fixed.

This post could only be more awesome if it was used to announce another mech.

Edited by Phalanx, 20 March 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#10 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostPhalanx, on 20 March 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

Fixed.

This post could only be more awesome if it was used to announce another mech.

I'd have to be a conjurer to do something like that. I'll see if I can hammer something out later though.

#11 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 20 March 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

I'd have to be a conjurer to do something like that. I'll see if I can hammer something out later though.

Hmm the conjurer is a clan mech.......but it was based off the Wolfhound. Is this a hint?! :D

#12 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

till ghost gets here to work his magic....

A massive tome comprising many volumes, the Dictum Honorium would require several lifetimes to master. It spells out in fine detail the code of conduct for all citizens of the Draconis Combine, from the Coordinator to his Samurai to the lowest Unproductive. Due to its length and general impenetrability, few manage to read more than a few pages, and the Dictum has little actual effect on daily life. Several passages, such as the special rules allowing the taking (instead of summary execution) of prisoners of war valuable to military intelligence and ransom are kept secret from the public.

Omiko Kurita (21 December, 3028 – 15 March, 3064), also known as Omi Kurita, was the daughter of Theodore Kurita and Tomoe Sakade and the secret lover of Prince Victor Steiner-Davion, although that relationship gradually became widely known and somewhat accepted.
She was assassinated during the Federated Commonwealth Civil War by the same person who murdered Melissa Steiner and Ryan Steiner, under contract of Katherine Steiner-Davion. She secretly gave birth to Victor's child before dying in 3064.
Omi was the mother of Sir Kitsune Kurita of the Republic of the Sphere.

#13 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostPaladin Brewer, on 20 March 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

Hmm the conjurer is a clan mech.......but it was based off the Wolfhound. Is this a hint?! ;)

wolverine...which is on my list of WTP mechs
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Conjurer
http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29

#14 Grinner

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostPaladin Brewer, on 20 March 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

Hmm the conjurer is a clan mech.......but it was based off the Wolfhound. Is this a hint?! ;)

Or maybe a reference to the Hammer, though that won't be out for another 4 years. Why must you toy with us Devs? Don't you know we hang on your every word? :P

#15 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

Oops I meant to type Wolverine, but my fingers said Wolfhound ;) Silly fingers

#16 whiskey tango foxtrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostPaladin Brewer, on 20 March 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

Always room for more Kuritan agenda ;)

I care not for propaganda , $$$ is the agenda , as always.

#17 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Does the Pillar of Ivory contain strict guidelines for baseball teams?
Posted Image

#18 GDL Rahsan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:06 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 20 March 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

I believe that's Randalls pro-Kurita agenda ;)

And who is responsible for Jacob Hardenson hating on the Legion?

Not that I hate it or anything I always found Jacob a nice character but I want to know why the guy who wrote that said "lapdogs", the "Holier-than-thou" insult made sense but the other one didn't and I want said writer to clarify on it.

Edited by GDL Rahsan, 21 March 2012 - 05:09 AM.

#19 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

You succeed in making them put a Hatamoto-Chi in the game and we'll be BFFs!

I wan't an all red Hatamoto-Chi to take out Clan mechwarriors after they come out. While I am gonna rock in the Dragon (at least in my own consideration) I'll need some more firepower for taking on those gene picked superhuman psychopaths.

The Hatamoto-Chi supplies that firepower, it's got loads of variations, and if you animate it, then you can use the same animation (with a higher top speed) for a Charger. It's iconic, it's efficient for production, and it's fun.

Edited by verybad, 22 March 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#20 DSRT800

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

Year 3050 clans come to kick ***. right?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users