starting off with absolutly nothing is a joke

35 replies to this topic

#1 Eury

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

ok so i played in the beta testing and what not it was a good game but now starting off with nothing and grinding using trial mechs is a insult those mechs are worthless and have the worst builds i have ever seen anyone in a founders or that actually took the 4 weeks to grind up the money for something that is has potential will just blow you out of the water getting 30k credits because the trial mech wont do enough damage to get you decent money......

game was good but starting off with absolutely nothing is a waste of time

Edited by Eury, 12 October 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#2 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

That's you already knowing what's up ahead, but imagine the new guys that drop in here without your knowledge and experience.
MWO is gonna be much harder on them and if this is enough to drive you off, chances are they gonna burn out way quicker or not even give it a chance. Word of mouth is gonna be bad as a result and spreading quickly.

#3 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

I still would like official word on wether players get 1 free mech of their choice still or not... remember back in May that was the case... but things have changed so much since then, but no word on if they've changed their stance on this or not...

#4 Bogus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

Yeah, at the very least people should get a Jenner or something and a couple hundred thousand cbills for basic configuration.

Also, I know the Clan thing is "soon" but they really, really ought to think about some basic bot/PvE/whatever in addition to the tutorials early on in the development cycle. Maybe some for-the-lols stuff like light mech races that give a modest payout. Even with a free mech new players are going to be hard pressed to hold their own against teams of pimped-out Atlases not to mention when someone's just bored and wants something other than CS:Mechs.

#5 Helaman

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

So the beginner game experience blows?

#6 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

Not particularly, but people seem to have missed the point that Trial Mechs are effective if played correctly. They may improve especially if heat receives a little revision, since that's where they're weak. For the record, I have had my butt handed to me by many players in Trial mechs. I'm hoping they're going to iterate a bit on the current system, but I think it's a mistake to call it bad. My biggest complaint is that you don't earn XP, which I believe is a mistake... you should at least get GXP. *disclaimer* I haven't played a Trial Mech (excepting once to try a new chassis) since the last patch dropped, so this may have changed.

#7 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

'Played correctly' and 'new players' ... do I need to go on?

They have no clue how to play them correctly because they are new to the game and most likely BT/MW games.
Is that so hard to understand?

Hell, most of the players in here right now don't like them much and if that's not telling, then I'm definitely not wasting my time trying to explain it. Common sense .... gotta be a super power.

#8 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

The experience for new players shouldn't be terrible once we are ready for open beta, a tutorial and other aspects will be added over time (Including, apparently, a rotating selection of trial mechs.) For us beta testers its a little harsh, we get the butt ugly of everything and have our stuff erased now and then (which will most likely happen at least one last time when open beta occurs as premium time will go into effect then as well) but for people who haven't been able to play in the closed beta it will be a breeze at least up to the point of affording some of the cheaper mechs. (its unlikely the novelty of pew pewing with various trial mechs will have worn off before you get enough money, even with the new grind.)

#9 Eury

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

lol well atleast the community agrees yes if you play the trial mech correctly they are effective "IF" the word if the team works together but as it stands its a mindless grind to get a mech that can compair to the people who have founders point blank i cant even fathum how many njew players will leave due to the sheer grind fest and match making people get when using the trial mechs its pathetic.......

yes the game was awesome during the beta but now i cant say its bad because its still a good game but startign out the way it is im litteraly about to just find a differnt game to interest my time.

#10 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

@Xeno
You wrote 'novelty of pew pewing with various trial Mechs', but you simply mistyped penalty. Right?
Have a cup of coffee mate, you earned it ;P

#11 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostCCC Dober, on 13 October 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

@Xeno
You wrote 'novelty of pew pewing with various trial Mechs', but you simply mistyped penalty. Right?
Have a cup of coffee mate, you earned it ;P

Its only a penalty if you are accustomed to setting up your own mechs (lrmboats, gausscats...) but for a new player having instant access to a mech from each weight class is going to be fun. More so because there are no real drawbacks to using them sense you dont pay for their repairs/rearming this gives them time to find what weight class and play style fits them best. (or in some cases, whats best for their system IE lrm/SSRM boats are the preferred workhorse of low fps players).

#12 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Definitely needs more coffee. Have another cup of awesome xP
I'm out.

#13 Bogus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

I like the idea of trial mechs but the trial loadouts are just horribly unfocused and don't do anything particularly well. For example, suppose I want to give an assault mech a whirl because my teams keep getting curbstomped by Atlas 4-packs. So I get a trial Awesome...with 2 large lasers and 2 LRMs. Wut? At least the oldschool triple PPC Awesome is good at standoff firepower but the Awesome I'm in can't really decide if it's a line fighter or fire support.

MW3/MW4 had the same problem of course, but they didn't take hours and hours of grinding to be able to create an effective loadout.

#14 Xanos

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

The trial mechs wont be to bad...think of them as the free characters of the week in lol. As i understand they will be in rotation so you can actually try mechs before buying them.

That said, i think tutorials will solve a ton of problems with trial mechs...hopefully it will get the noobs to stop alpha striking at least.

#15 EVA Mk09

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

I agree. I was completely new to MWO and only bought a founders after I grinded 7 or so million on trial mechs to get my catapult fully outfitted. THAT GRIND WAS UTTER ********. The game was riddiculously hard to get right and thats with me scouring the internet looking for weapon stats and builds which the normal guy looking for something else to play WOULD NOT DO. All I got was crap from the tabletop game that I never knew existed. Eventually I learned how to play properly, but the amount of time to took me to find out that i can take my weapons off all being on slot one and 2 shot overheating me was far too long and the lack of information anywhere would most certainly have discouraged me If i had not been looking so hard for a mech game that isnt a revival of COD. The bad UI also doesnt help anyones case.

Edited by EVA Mk09, 14 October 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#16 WTChance

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 90 posts
  • Locationmobile. really. i drive 3k/5k miles/km a week.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

View PostEVA Mk09, on 14 October 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

I agree. I was completely new to MWO and only bought a founders after I grinded 7 or so million on trial mechs to get my catapult fully outfitted. THAT GRIND WAS UTTER ********. The game was riddiculously hard to get right and thats with me scouring the internet looking for weapon stats and builds which the normal guy looking for something else to play WOULD NOT DO. All I got was crap from the tabletop game that I never knew existed. Eventually I learned how to play properly, but the amount of time to took me to find out that i can take my weapons off all being on slot one and 2 shot overheating me was far too long and the lack of information anywhere would most certainly have discouraged me If i had not been looking so hard for a mech game that isnt a revival of COD. The bad UI also doesnt help anyones case.

So, you 'searched all over the internet'?

Did you ever consider searching the manuals in the beta section? The clearly labeled ones? The step by step pictures on how to change your weapon grouping so you didn't overheat in 2 shots? Trolling is bad, m'Kay.

#17 EVA Mk09

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

I got in here pre early. Surely now theres alot of stuff on the beta forum about it. But there didnt used to be.

#18 21Gunner

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

Having to buy your "Real" Starting Mech with MC-bills won't get you players and you certainly can take the F2P tagged off your game.
My garage is empty after Closed Beta and I ain't buying in, games been uninstalled.
Surely you could of made some basic no frills mechs available for credits earned not MC-Bills.

#19 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

View Post21Gunner, on 16 October 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Having to buy your "Real" Starting Mech with MC-bills won't get you players and you certainly can take the F2P tagged off your game.
My garage is empty after Closed Beta and I ain't buying in, games been uninstalled.
Surely you could of made some basic no frills mechs available for credits earned not MC-Bills.

Every mech is available for credits.......

#20 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

View Postcherrybookshelf, on 17 October 2012 - 01:48 AM, said:

Every "legendary founders" seems to think the game is balanced, all newbies in trial mechs say otherwise.. I'm smelling pay to win wafting in my direction...

Any player with experience will destroy any new player no matter what mechs they are running. Do you think you will magically become more skilled just because of a better configured mech? lol All that's going to happen is a fat repair bill after you get destroyed over and over.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users