ISN News Flash

22 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

Wed. March 21, 3049: “Hero or Traitor?: The Kerensky Legacy” publishes to severe criticism it is filled with errors and supposition.

#2 Teuf

Rookie

• The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

More Inner Sphere rhetoric?

#3 MilitantMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

Both! Oooh, it's both. :huh:

#4 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Posted Image

Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky (December 16, 2700 – June 11, 2801; aged 100 years) was the foremost military leader of the Star League who later liberated Terra from the rule of the usurper Stefan Amaris. It was afterwards, during the collapse of the Star League, when he would lead the vast majority of the survivors of the Star League Defense Force (SLDF) on an Exodus into the Deep Periphery, and from there into legend.

It has been argued for centuries over whether or not this act was heroic or traitorous; it can't be dismissed that his departure marked the end of the Star League and the beginning of the horrors of the unimaginably devastating First Succession War. One only has "what ifs" and "might have beens" about what could have happened had he stayed to keep the peace. By the same token, it has been argued that only by leaving the Inner Sphere would he have been able to preserve some measure of the Star League from the collapse.

#5 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Meh... how long do you think an honest, noble, and intelligent person would have survived in his position after the Civil War? He would have been assassinated soon enough.

#6 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 21 March 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

Meh... how long do you think an honest, noble, and intelligent person would have survived in his position after the Civil War? He would have been assassinated soon enough.

Sounds like if he'd stuck around we'd be looking at a 28th century Ned Stark.

Edit: well darn, linking it to a specific time doesn't work, but it's worth seeing the whole thing. The part I'm referecing is at 2:40.

Edited by Dihm, 21 March 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#7 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

View PostDihm, on 21 March 2012 - 08:26 AM, said:

Sounds like if he'd stuck around we'd be looking at a 28th century Ned Stark.

Psh... Ned Stark made poor decisions... I will leave it at that for now :huh:

Kerensky left the Inner Sphere because he knew any peace efforts would be futile because either the next First Lord would come from a House and try to claim the SLDF for themself, or we'd just see a continual series of Civil Wars like before until the SLDF was too weak to prevent the Houses from doing anything they wanted.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 21 March 2012 - 09:16 AM.

#8 whiskey tango foxtrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

His ancestors are coming back , very soon. (now,where did I put that core,oh yea.)

#9 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 21 March 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

Psh... Ned Stark made poor decisions... I will leave it at that for now :huh:

Kerensky left the Inner Sphere because he knew any peace efforts would be futile because either the next First Lord would come from a House and try to claim the SLDF for themself, or we'd just see a continual series of Civil Wars like before until the SLDF was too weak to prevent the Houses from doing anything they wanted.

:P
That's my point, hence the "if he'd stuck around" bit. He was smart to get out while the getting was good.

#10 Gigaton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • LocationDieron District Gymnasium, learning to pilot 'Mechs until July

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

View Postwhiskey tango foxtrot, on 21 March 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

His ancestors are coming back , very soon.

His... ancestors?

You mean this guy?

Posted Image

Let me guess, the Capellan Confederation is planning to take over IS by resurrecting clones of famous Russian and Soviet leaders and politicans from early '20th century in yet another mad bid for power? Inner Sphere will tremble before armies of Lenins, Stalins, Kerenskys and Yudeniches.

Edited by Gigaton, 21 March 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#11 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

I don't think so... that one really did die in exile (rest his soul).

#12 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

I think he was pointing out that whisky used "ancestors" when he meant "descendants". :huh:

Oddly enough, that's the second time in the past day or two I've heard that mistake.

Edited by Dihm, 21 March 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#13 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Maybe it wasn't a mistake, he could have been refering to the upcoming 2012 Zombie Apocalypse... in that case the 20th century Aleksandr Kerensky could be making a return...

Edited by Prosperity Park, 21 March 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#14 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

heroes dont run away from home when things get tough. no wonder the clans all have issues...

#15 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 21 March 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

heroes dont run away from home when things get tough. no wonder the clans all have issues...

That is true. They take 60% of their Army and leave the Sphere of play. :huh:

#16 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

He was beaten. While he was a great general, he was beaten by living a life of war. All he saw in the future was more war, he gave up and left.

His act led to the loss of approximately 1000 worlds and their inhabitants, as the succession wars began.

While the Great Houses would have certainly maneuvered for power in the wake of the Amaris Coup. The fact of the matter is that even after Usurper was beaten, the SLDF was vastly more powerful (and experienced) than the armies of the Great Houses...COMBINED.

I would not call him a traitor, and in his time he was a hero. However after beating the Usurper, he had seen so much war that he simply couldn't bear it any more. Kerensky was beaten, emotionally, he simply couldn't deal with it any longer.

His leaving left an immense military power vaccuum, and the wars that followed were the most bloody in humanities history. We almost destroyed ourselves.

However he is also not the one that started those wars. They started because he was not there to stop them. He wasn't a fool, he HAD to know what would happen if he left, however I think he simply couldn't handle more war, he gave up on the rest of humanity.

#17 Golrain

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationOceanside CA

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

I disagree. Yes he was tired, but IMO he left because he saw parts of his armies being usurped into the houses for their petty wars and he was not going to lead from Terra. He had little legitimacy to run the House of Cameron.

He could only run his army which he saw slowly eroding due to them not having an overarching goal, thus he started the Exodus to give them that goal.

#18 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

He was rewarded by the other House Ruler. They past a vote that stripped him of his command.

"A year later, on the 10th of October 2780, the Council Lords gathered and stripped Kerensky of his title of Protector. Ten months later, the Lords had not chosen a new First Lord, each claiming the title and position for him or herself, and the Council was dissolved by the Lords on the 12 of August 2781.
Kerensky refused a proposition by General Aaron DeChavilier to overthrow the House Lords. The reasons for his refusal are unknown."

Edited by Skylarr, 21 March 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#19 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

I thought I heard that the orders given to Kerensky and those loyal to him....disband and return to the Successor State of Origin...forced him to either follow those orders and wage war against the other Houses; or the choice he made..Exodus. can anyone confirm this?

#20 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Yes, He was stripped of his command and the houses were going to absorb his forces.

Edited by Skylarr, 21 March 2012 - 03:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users