Sadness Of Second But Happy With Silver: Tournament Talk By Merata Zouh Ihinimtah

49 replies to this topic

#1 Merata Crunt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

This was my first tournament in any game, and after leading the heavy boards for 40 hours straight, I was finally overtaken by the great Lord Azurescens. Congratulations to you if you see this post, you've earned it!

I will admit, the sadness of being second does hurt. Putting so much effort into something and not winning the top prize is disappointing, and knowing I was literally seeing things due to a lack of sleep was a scary experience.

I was playing in a match when I was 'Sleep-Playing' much like 'Sleep-Walking.' I was in a state where I was thinking that a big blue Atlas was a blind date of another big black Atlas, and I was the friend of both that would introduce them. Mind you, I actually saw long flowing brown hair on this blue Atlas, and the black Atlas had liberty spikes, I'm not even kidding by saying this. I was horrified when the black atlas killed the blue one after a charge, because I thought of myself as a bad friend to both of them, and that I should have known that the big black charging liberty spiked Atlas wouldn't have liked the calm, proper, reserved, and apparently partially attractive blue one. In an angry fit, I proceeded to core out the black Atlas, and felt good after avenging my fallen blue lady.

Surprisingly, there were a few more 'insane stasis' games where I actually seemed to play better, but near the end of the competition, I fell 10 points behind the great Lord Azurescens.

Nevertheless, I'm happy with Silver. To be so high on any leader board for my first tournament attempt feels very good.

I want to thank all of the players I was with, everyone was so polite and calm, it was surprising for this sort of competitive scene.

And to PGI, thank you for the wonderful event, and the wonderful game.

Your Heavy Runner-Up:

Merata Zouh Ihinimtah

#2 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

everytime I saw your name pop up on the other team I crapped my poopsock a little.

great playing with you.

One of the best things is I never saw you run cheese - most of the time I saw you in a Cat with 2ER PPCs, 2 ML, an SRM6 and an LRM10, later on you had that white dragon with an LB-X.

#3 Merata Crunt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yes, my Cat and my Dragon with four MPL, LB-X, and Streak 2, my two favorite heavy builds. I also had my Cataphract with two large lasers, AC-20, and two SRM4.

Thank you very much for the games, I remember always enjoying seeing your name actually.

#4 Merata Crunt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

I love MWO. It has its issues, but it's only going to get better from here.

#5 Merata Crunt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Thank you again, PGI.

#6 Merata Crunt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Now time to go outside for a nice walk.

#7 BillyM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Well stated and well played. Statistically speaking, your bracket first-vs-second is one of the most interesting deviations in Win/Loss of all the tourney stats. One thing I would be curious is how your ELO score compared to Lord's before and after the grind-fest... As seen below: your team won substantially less times than his did. While you definitely out-played him game-count-wise, and your points/game were similar (meaning your impact on the outcome of the match was similar), Lord somehow had FAR more games go in his favor. I'd love to see kill-count comparisons or how your ELO scores may have differed.

Posted Image

Again, well played sirs, I commend all your achievements (I only dropped 40-ish times the whole weekend).

--billyM

Edited by BillyM, 25 February 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#8 CrushLibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 546 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I played against LORD and he was doing 400-800 in damage and 1-2 kills per game.

He was a good player. Cller was nasty too with his AC-20 2 med medium. One or two shots to your rear and death.

how do you see points per game???

Edited by CrushLibs, 25 February 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#9 Red Plague

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 61 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationkapuskasing

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

holy crap 558 games 0.o ...
2,218 Red Plague 11 / 6 / 5
heres my stats ...

Edited by Red Plague, 25 February 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#10 Merata Crunt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, Lord is great. I was also surprised by my statistics. Hopefully PGI releases more in depth statistics on Tuesday.

#11 ciller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 486 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

First, grats and my condolences from another 2nd place runner. I was ahead by 50 points in the last 8 hours only to watch Za Warudo chew through it and finally over take me in the last hour. OMG, frustrating.

to CrushLibs

Thanks!
I was running the CN9-A primarily with an alpha strike of 55, using 3 srm6's and 2med lasers. It kills most heavies and assaults in 2-3 back strikes. When that mech was locked-up out came the Wang.which does take a few more shots to kill a guy if the guy is still full armor but you can use distance more effectively and you can get some easy kills from the outskirts of a brawl.

All in all I had lots of fun, lots of pain, and extreme tiredness. Not playing in pug drops as much will be a nice change though, back to 4 and 8-man teams! Also not playing like a ******** zombie that gets mad at horrible teams would be nice. I apologize to all that I was terse with.

Edited by ciller, 25 February 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#12 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

You sir deserve a

Posted Image

Crash and Burn.

I only ran 6 heavy matches in the tournament with my Flame. Managed 1.33 PPG with 4 wins 2 losses (tiny sample size). I commend you on your non-cheese builds as well.

#13 Merata Crunt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Thank you, sirs. =)

#14 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Congratulations to all Banner winners - I sincerely mean this.

Let's hope we see a few more tournaments throughout this year and that PGI has a rethink on how such tournaments get conducted where such extreme physical efforts are not required of players.

This comment is not meant to take away any shine of your success but if a tournament creates a state of delusional episodes in a player then you have to ask whether such competition rules have to be reconsidered for the sake of players health.

Deaths have occurred in such gaming marathon sessions (http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/4137782.stm) and my concern is for the players as well as any bad publicity PGI could find itself in if the worse case was to happen.

Congrats again!
Eboli

#15 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostEboli, on 25 February 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

Deaths have occurred in such gaming marathon sessions (http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/4137782.stm) and my concern is for the players as well as any bad publicity PGI could find itself in if the worse case was to happen.

If someone died from sitting in a chair for 50 hours straight they probably weren't long for the world and have major underlying medical conditions. I've been awake with much less sleep than I had during this tournament having to do some pretty physically demanding things like, fight a war.

Edited by DocBach, 25 February 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#16 Merata Crunt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

That was a sad case for sure.

#17 Merata Crunt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

But this tournament was definitely worth the sleeplessness. I feel better at the game than I was before

#18 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostMerata Zouh Ihinimtah, on 25 February 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

But this tournament was definitely worth the sleeplessness. I feel better at the game than I was before

Definitely feel more confident in a medium 'Mech. Chose the medium class because I wanted to go against the grain and run something that wasn't considered flavor of the month or cheesy. I have so much XP in my CN9-A now -- funny thing is I don't have 3 variants of it, so I haven't been able to use it :D

#19 OpCentar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostDocBach, on 25 February 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

If someone died from sitting in a chair for 50 hours straight they probably weren't long for the world and have major underlying medical conditions. I've been awake with much less sleep than I had during this tournament having to do some pretty physically demanding things like, fight a war.

Well your average gamer is not physically fit as your average soldier.

Add to that the inevitable junk food and energy drinks loaded with caffeine and you have yourself a recipe for a heart attack just waiting to happen.

#20 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

This weekend was the first time I played in PUGs and actually enjoyed myself. Everyone (for the most part) was playing as well as can be expected without voice chat and the general vibe was very fun.

Congrats to all that competed, especially the top 25.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users