Liao or Steiner?

170 replies to this topic

#1 GriffonX

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the InnerSphere

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

As a Hannan <Dossier Reference> I found myself automatically linked to the Steiner faction through my German/Celtic heritage before I ever learned anything else of this amazing universe and the rest of the Inner Sphere. With a love of the "come at me brah" style of Steiner and their Assault class fondness and the link of strong ancestral ties I was sure that Steiner would be the house for me. However the idea of people rising through society and military ranks through political and monetary maneuvers rather than on skill and merit absolutely disgusted me.

As I learned more (and played more) of this amazing universe I discovered another House that called to me with its cultural and philosophical ideologies of leadership through virtue of capability, unity for the greater good of humanity, and a strong motivation for the participation in and the betterment of their community, as well as a strong, driven, tactical military (although some might say devious, maniacal, and underhanded which I still like =D ) All of this I found in House Liao.

Since I can not decide which faction to pledge to for this game (If I decide to pledge to one at all) I'm asking other players of both the Steiner and Liao Houses why they chose as they did as well as giving me their best reason for me to choose said House.

I anxiously await your input.

#2 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

Well, House Liao and Steiner are fundamentally opposed to each other most regards. Steiner has historically, as well as currently, been much larger than Liao. We are the underdogs, and focus to a large degree on quality over quantity. Vs the Steiners, which have more cash than they know what to do with. Atlas mechs as scouts? how wasteful. Our light mechs just tear them to shreds. In nearly every previous game, such as MBPT and other such BT mmos, house liao is far outnumbered, yet in most of those games, not only did House Liao survive, we pushed back attacks from much larger houses, such as davion. It will be the same here. We may be small, but we are mighty. We may be outnumbered, but we will not fall. The Davion hordes will scream that they are White Knights, but no matter how loudly they shout they are the good guys, they shall never crush the Confederation's spirit.

I have no right to tell you what to think. I am merely human. But I believe in the Confederation. Sure some of us may be mad. But we stand united, in both spirit and will. We will fight for our brother's on our left, and our sister's on our right. We will fight for the people, and a future that is free of the tyranny that is Davion. For that is what it means to be Capellan.

plus, do you REALLY want to be part of a faction that is controlled by the bullies of the inner sphere, the Davions?

#3 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

View Postdal10, on 15 October 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

Well, House Liao and Steiner are fundamentally opposed to each other most regards. Steiner has historically, as well as currently, been much larger than Liao. We are the underdogs, and focus to a large degree on quality over quantity. Vs the Steiners, which have more cash than they know what to do with. Atlas mechs as scouts? how wasteful. Our light mechs just tear them to shreds. In nearly every previous game, such as MBPT and other such BT mmos, house liao is far outnumbered, yet in most of those games, not only did House Liao survive, we pushed back attacks from much larger houses, such as davion. It will be the same here. We may be small, but we are mighty. We may be outnumbered, but we will not fall. The Davion hordes will scream that they are White Knights, but no matter how loudly they shout they are the good guys, they shall never crush the Confederation's spirit.

I have no right to tell you what to think. I am merely human. But I believe in the Confederation. Sure some of us may be mad. But we stand united, in both spirit and will. We will fight for our brother's on our left, and our sister's on our right. We will fight for the people, and a future that is free of the tyranny that is Davion. For that is what it means to be Capellan.

plus, do you REALLY want to be part of a faction that is controlled by the bullies of the inner sphere, the Davions?

Sounds like RP to me, this has no effect ingame, if I had to choose I would probably go steiner. Chinese space robots don't interest me.(made in china) I would go with the free worlds league if it was a option.(in this thread)

Edited by lsp, 15 October 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#4 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

View Postlsp, on 15 October 2012 - 10:29 PM, said:

Sounds like RP to me, this has no effect ingame, if I had to choose I would probably go steiner. Chinese space robots don't interest me.(made in china)

CW is going to be a massive part of this game. I just like the motivation of feeling like I am actually changing people's lives vs just, take X planet to get Y bonuses. plus, how else am I supposed to react when we take New Avalon from the Davies. plus, I will take your zues on in a raven any day of the week and roflstomp it.

edit: though I do RP a lot, it is rather fun. Also, our uniforms are sexier. beat that steiner.

Edited by dal10, 15 October 2012 - 10:39 PM.

#5 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

Decide if you want to have cheaper Commandos and assaults, or cheaper Ravens, Catapults and Cataphracts.

That's the simplest way to do it. :rolleyes:

#6 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:49 AM

View Postdal10, on 15 October 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

CW is going to be a massive part of this game. I just like the motivation of feeling like I am actually changing people's lives vs just, take X planet to get Y bonuses. plus, how else am I supposed to react when we take New Avalon from the Davies. plus, I will take your zues on in a raven any day of the week and roflstomp it.

edit: though I do RP a lot, it is rather fun. Also, our uniforms are sexier. beat that steiner.

i'd take him on in my raven, is yours the super fun time version with an ac/20?

#7 Draken X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGMT+8

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

Funny that the Lyrans have the Commandos. Yet they don't even use much of them?

Chinese space robots don't interest me.(made in china) I would go with the free worlds league if it was a option.(in this thread)

Made in China? Nope. House Liao has a Russian engineers in our bays too. And so, Capellans don't make crappy mechs made of scrap metals nor a "cheap knockoffs". But then again, the Capellans mean quality over quantity.

House Liao =/= People's Republic of China.

Sounds to me like you disregard the fact that we Capellans build decent quality mechs. Not to mentioned even the Fed-Suns has a Capellan mech fetish, you get what I mean? :lol:

Edited by Draken X, 16 October 2012 - 02:15 AM.

#8 Vegeta Kerensky

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

I think you are choosing Liao simply because the goons are Liao and you are afriad of losing.

#9 Draken X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGMT+8

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

View PostVegeta Kerensky, on 16 October 2012 - 02:23 AM, said:

I think you are choosing Liao simply because the goons are Liao and you are afriad of losing.

That doesn't judge to our personal reason to join House Liao, mind you.

Plus, Liao isn't 'kia-su' (afraid of losing) but a mere underdogs hated by Davion who think they won over Liao just because they have a much larger military strength than Liao's.

I think you should check yourself instead of bashing someone else in the wrong place by jumping into an irrelevant conclusion, Clanner-wannabe.

Edited by Draken X, 16 October 2012 - 03:18 AM.

#10 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

Chinese space robots don't interest me.(made in china) I would go with the free worlds league if it was a option.(in this thread)

Made in China, lol.

House Liao is teh exact oppostie mate. We have the least amount of people, so we have to do perfect quality items... adn just mentioning Raven that has better tech than evn the Clans have should give you a rough idea.

We are more like Switzerland in space, just with the exception of neutrality.

#11 WarLiege

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 98 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

View PostGriffonX, on 15 October 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

As a Hannan <Dossier Reference> I found myself automatically linked to the Steiner faction through my German/Celtic heritage before I ever learned anything else of this amazing universe and the rest of the Inner Sphere. With a love of the "come at me brah" style of Steiner and their Assault class fondness and the link of strong ancestral ties I was sure that Steiner would be the house for me. However the idea of people rising through society and military ranks through political and monetary maneuvers rather than on skill and merit absolutely disgusted me.

As I learned more (and played more) of this amazing universe I discovered another House that called to me with its cultural and philosophical ideologies of leadership through virtue of capability, unity for the greater good of humanity, and a strong motivation for the participation in and the betterment of their community, as well as a strong, driven, tactical military (although some might say devious, maniacal, and underhanded which I still like =D ) All of this I found in House Liao.

Since I can not decide which faction to pledge to for this game (If I decide to pledge to one at all) I'm asking other players of both the Steiner and Liao Houses why they chose as they did as well as giving me their best reason for me to choose said House.

I anxiously await your input.

If your still undecided, your chalice awaits you at our table with your name on it. Liao will fulfill the qualities you seek in a confederation..

#12 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:19 AM

As a member of House Kurita, I would suggest Liao over Steiner. Liao combines tactical flexibility with a certain...ruthlessness that is extremely effective. Steiner has big Mechs, and that's about it.

#13 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

plus, did Steiner break into an impromptu speech?

#14 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

There are a variety of styles and methods to both Houses, depending on the unit that you serve with. IMHO both are good houses and both have their strengths.

I chose House Liao as it was the underdog and to be honest the Capellan Confederation has a great deal more character and style than does the Lyran Commonwealth/Alliance.

You will find griefers in every unit/house/clan out there. But you will also find a great many friendly, helpful people regardless of their apparent "web-citizenship". I am not a member of the goonswarm/squad, etc. I believe in fair gameplay and honorable combat. Does this mean that I will go one on one with you to satisfy your "honor'? H-E-Double Hockey Sticks no. I will order my unit to combine fire on you and take you down with little to no thought on the matter. But I will not have my unit stand in a circle and slowly tear your mech apart and hoot/laugh at you via text or comms. Combat is war, in war you strive to win. In war second place means that you lost.

Join House Liao

http://www.houseliao...forum/index.php

“When strong, avoid them. If of high morale, depress them. Seem humble to fill them with conceit. If at ease, exhaust them. If united, separate them. Attack their weaknesses. Emerge to their surprise.”
― Sun_Tzu

#15 DarkBazerker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 255 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWaffle House

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

On a side note if you join liao, you should check your food and drink more closely. ;)

#16 Justin Xang Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 219 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

Well, I would think you would go Steiner. The liao have a history of crazy. *cough* Romano.........

#17 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

View PostDarkBazerker, on 16 October 2012 - 06:57 AM, said:

On a side note if you join liao, you should check your food and drink more closely. :)

Naaa, we have slaves...er....people to do that for us ;)

View PostJustin Xang Allard, on 16 October 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

Well, I would think you would go Steiner. The liao have a history of crazy. *cough* Romano.........

Only for a couple more years, then her sister will do the Inner Sphere a favor and help Sun-Tzu gain the throne.

"Xin Sheng" Baby!

Edited by Propnut, 16 October 2012 - 07:04 AM.

#18 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

View PostJustin Xang Allard, on 16 October 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

Katherine Steiner Davion. Checkmate.

#19 Woopass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 209 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

The Fascist House Liao!

You are not under dogs! But merely sick dogs that shall be crushed by the feet of my Atlas! Light scout mechs? PFFT you try to out maneuver my Atlas with those mere children toys! Only to find them broken and useless! Die!

-Woop
5th Tikanov Republic guard

#20 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

guess you will need your whole company of atlases just to stand a chance against my raven.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users