Possible end of the internet as we know it

29 replies to this topic

#1 BduSlammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

Heard the other day that the UN will pass a bill to have all online uses taxed at 1.95 in us dollar each time you use it

#2 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

That'll be the day...

#3 SeventhAngel

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 81 posts
  • LocationOccupied Territory SWFL.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Thats as messed up as them trying ban small arms. Good luck with that.lol

#4 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Even assuming it was within the power of the UN to enforce such a thing, which it isn't, the UN would never pass such a bill, because it would be pointless. The world economy would be brought to its knees almost overnight, and this "tax money" would have nowhere to go.

The internet isn't going anywhere, but I suggest you use it to read a few less chain emails :)

#5 SouthernRex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

What ****** told you that?

#6 BduSlammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

was watching Fox news and D-I-C-K Morris is the one who said it , he was Bill Clintons Camp manager it is in his new book called the Black hellocoters

Edited by BduSlammer, 20 October 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#7 Metafox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Each time we use it? So is it $1.95 per bit or what? Because that can add up quickly.

#8 Kravity

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 36 posts
  • LocationTrondheim

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

View PostBduSlammer, on 20 October 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

was watching Fox news and D-I-C-K Morris is the one who said it , he was Bill Clintons Camp manager it is in his new book called the Black hellocoters

Fox News. We found the culprit.

#9 Project Dark Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 237 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Don't believe anything CNN and FOX tells you until you actually research the article. Until then I'm taking this information with a grain of salt (and this is coming from a hyper-paranoid SOB).

#10 BduSlammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

here is what i have found on it http://news.cnet.com...aked-docs-show/

#11 Joe3142

Slothstronaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

If that happened I would be very, very, very, very f***ing annoyed.

#12 Magik0012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

According to that link, it would be a tax on content providers, not end users. Still extremely unlikely to happen.

#13 Weirdingway

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff, AZ

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

FK the UN they will have there ***** handed to them if they try that.

#14 ian davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! They would be shooting themselves in the foot! My prediction for such an action would be an fracturing of various parts of the Internet and an eventual atrophying of the smaller countries networks until they fall off the net like a gangrenous limb. Companies are not going to be paying that. They are going to find some why around or just cut them off. They are so tightfisted as it is. The most likely thing to happen out of that is that the cost would be passed on to us like the old long distance calls. Can you imagine paying by card to access content from over seas?

#15 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Heard the other day that the UN will pass a bill to have all online uses taxed at 1.95 in us dollar each time you use it

[citation needed]

#16 Stardust Reverie

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWithin the Border of Fantasy

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostKravity, on 20 October 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

Fox News. We found the culprit.

They're all worthless. Fox, CNN, MSNBC...it doesn't matter. They're all so biased it's rediculous. The only person you can trust on the news anymore is the weatherman, and he's wrong half the time.

#17 ian davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

BduSlammer found something at CNET. I haven't had a problem with them before. It wouldn't be us being taxed but, our companies. It would be much like the old long distance telephone calls or even trains when using another systems tracks. It would be a short term increase in revenue for the ruling parties and local content providers but, a long term loss. They would say it was good while it was making money and tooting their horns but, when the long term consequences come about, they will be quick to point fingers at other people.

#18 sir garfield

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

when i read this it made me laugh my socks off for a few reasons 1 the un doesnt have that kind of power that would mena that they have oversite on every country in the world plus 2 imagine trying to tell massive corparations like microsoft and apple which insidentally have a gdp higher than most countries that they will have to pay to use there own systems and 3 the publics reaction if you think the protests in greece are bad announcing that will mean a thousand times worse and probably more violent

#19 Kromm

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

Are you actually implying that the UN (an orginazation with No real power over anything) will actually pass something, then ACTUALLY do it????????

Now thats a good one ........

#20 EldoniousRex

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationRasalhague

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

So, the preposterous idea of the UN enforcing a tax on anyone aside. ( Especially, private businesses and corporations. ) What would they do with the collected tax revenue? Isn't the UN funded by member assessed and voluntary contributions? Would the fee be split between the member nations or kept in UN coffers for emergencies?

Such an act would be a step towards making the UN a truly independent organization. Perhaps they're afraid of funding countries leaving the organization.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users