[POLL] Why did you choose your faction

153 replies to this topic

Poll: [POLL] Why did you choose your faction (268 member(s) have cast votes)

Why did you choose your faction?

1. Because they had a cool logo (47 votes [9.98%])

Percentage of vote: 9.98%

2. Because of their politics (122 votes [25.90%])

Percentage of vote: 25.90%

3. Because of there mechs/power (44 votes [9.34%])

Percentage of vote: 9.34%

4. Because everyone else did/my friend told me to (6 votes [1.27%])

Percentage of vote: 1.27%

5. Because of their planets/history (111 votes [23.57%])

Percentage of vote: 23.57%

6. I just love em' (66 votes [14.01%])

Percentage of vote: 14.01%

7. I don't care, I just did (18 votes [3.82%])

Percentage of vote: 3.82%

8. Other (reply to this post) (57 votes [12.10%])

Percentage of vote: 12.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Why did you choose the faction you did (mercs, why do you want to work for that faction)

Me? Politics. (NO Liao or Marik) Plus, they have the same mechs as everyone else at this moment

EDIT 6-12-2012: Well, I am not the only one who picks because of politics. But, uh... if you picked cause of the logo, I am planning to shoot you on the field if I EVER see you... :P But seriously, logo isn't everything

Edited by DavidHurricane, 12 June 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

basically the lore.

Marik matches what i like. a few of the non-pirate centered periphery worldswould be ok. Liao were a bit farther off but still on my list.

Davion and Kurita end up in bed with comstar, that fine organization who preaches neutrality and yet runs secret wars and leads the clans to the inner spheres sweetest worlds during the first half of the invasion. . Steiner irks me due to its short marriage to davion. FRR gets destroyed by the bear and then ends up having a strange love child with them. clans are technologically advanced genetically modified human clones out to kill or enslave everyone they meet. they remind me way to much of a certain European country in the 1930's and 40's so i def dont wont to be a part of that.

Edited by Geist Null, 17 April 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#3 Mechwarrior Of Rock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationERROR 404

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

The Wolf Dragoons is who i chose in MW4mercs and it`s the Wolf Dragoons i`ll stay with.

Edited by Captain Wolfus Maximus, 20 April 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#4 Elektrik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

I was originally recruited as a clanner <Shudder> for a brief 24 hours until someone from the Draconis Combine asked me why they hadn't contacted me, etc.They brought me in, and trained me to be the Mechwarrior I am now....Definitely a sense of comradery I didn't have in other groups....

#5 Kifferson von doober

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in England

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

It's the lore and the games i played waay back, I also figure that marik will probably have less uptake than some of the other houses as they haven't really featured that heavily in previous computer games as most seem to concentrate on the clan war or the fedcom civil war eras.

#6 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

The lore and the nationality of the FRR in my case.

#7 wwiiogre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Once a Northwind Highlander always a Highlander

chris

#8 Equinox Astiri

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Definitely the way the Draconis Combine carries themselves and their values and beliefs on combat.

#9 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

I like the idea of fighting as the underdog, and the possibility that, if we come out on top, there will be C-Bills galore; I think another part of that is the gamble, the potential downside that, if we lose, we could lose it all. That's not going to be so prevalent in MWO, at least not at first, but I think it will still be in the back of my mind, at least.

#10 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

If I wasn't already part of a Merc faction, I would definitely choose Liao for the simple fact they are the underdogs. It is apparent the original lore writers held some anti-Commie bias that made the House out to be some great evil bent on being a bunch of asshats horrible people. In the reality, they are just a poor, misunderstood autocracy :P

That, and I find the Capellan trolls roaming around the forum amusing.

Edited by Lord Trogus, 17 April 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#11 acheronlv426

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

I could probably live with any IS faction but Marik kinda sticks out as the underdog, and not totally insane, house in the bunch.

#12 TeaL3af

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Meh, all the factions do is pointlessly fight for no reason. I'll pick the one that's doing worst in the metagame and try to help them out.

#13 Souske Sagara

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationParkland, WA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

THe combine has all the sushi and hentai.

#14 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

Davion wasn't a terrible choice in my opinion (some of the worst politics, especially during the Fedcom/Civil War years, but good political culture). The FRR is cool, but barring a major historical upset, get trounced by the clans. Kurita's actions during the Succession Wars far exceed the level of psychotic on many, many, many levels, especially during the first, a combination with their culture that basically makes them Clans light (and if I wanted to do the clans, I'd just take the full-flavored variety :D), plus apparently they're full of sushi and hentai according too eyewitness accounts ;) Steiner... yeah let's just not go there.

So between Davion and the FWL, I liked the FWL's historical loyalty to the Star League, their political culture of granting high independence to their various realms, and the fact that, among the least objectionable member states (and again, I can be FWL without giving a damn about Marik; it's nice), ours doesn't have some massive political snafu due in the next decade.

#15 Trevnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

I choose FRR because of my ancestry, and because the players are all just awesome as all hell.

#16 sheradin

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationPa

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

because comstar wasnt avalibe second choice was a toss up between fedcom and dracooins combine both have mechs I like

#17 FolkenWintercraft

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

When I play as IS, I've almost always preferred House Davion. Mostly for the NAIS, to be honest. Partuially because I just don't like the other options.

I might have been persuaded, though, to join the FRR if not for their... ahem... impending troubles.

#18 Solarflux

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationDeventer, Netherlands

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:38 AM

Still trying to decide. Swinging between the FWL and The Combine. I really enjoy the freedom of the FWL. On the other hand, I've always been a big Japan fan, also having studied there. Tough choices.

#19 Xyph3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 213 posts
  • LocationRight behind you, in his AC/20 Raven

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 17 April 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

basically the lore.

Marik matches what i like. a few of the non-pirate centered periphery worldswould be ok. Liao were a bit farther off but still on my list.

Davion and Kurita end up in bed with comstar, that fine organization who preaches neutrality and yet runs secret wars and leads the clans to the inner spheres sweetest worlds during the first half of the invasion. . Steiner irks me due to its short marriage to davion. FRR gets destroyed by the bear and then ends up having a strange love child with them. clans are technologically advanced genetically modified human clones out to kill or enslave everyone they meet. they remind me way to much of a certain European country in the 1930's and 40's so i def dont wont to be a part of that.

if the Clans kill or enslave everyone they meet, why is there still LOTS of Rasalshaguians in the Ghost Bear Dominion, and they are even allowed to keep their government?
(although i must admit that their thought of being "supreme beings" might have some similarities)

BUT: the Clan military doctrine is designed to AVOID COLLATERAL DAMAGE and civillians are kept out of the "line of fire" (most of the time).
"total extinction" is FREEBIRTH BUSINESS!!! ;-)

their lore and their code of honor made me choose clans

Edited by Xyph3r, 18 April 2012 - 05:52 AM.

#20 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

View PostXyph3r, on 18 April 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

if the Clans kill or enslave everyone they meet, why is there still LOTS of Rasalshaguians in the Ghost Bear Dominion, and they are even allowed to keep their government?
(although i must admit that their thought of being "supreme beings" might have some similarities)

BUT: the Clan military doctrine is designed to AVOID COLLATERAL DAMAGE and civillians are kept out of the "line of fire" (most of the time).
"total extinction" is FREEBIRTH BUSINESS!!! ;-)

their lore and their code of honor made me choose clans

Let me guess; the forces at Turtle Bay didn't get the memo? Oh well, Kuritan World, not like there isn't a certain ironic justice there. :D

I guess the Clans only kill and enslave most of the people they meet, with Ghost Bear being slightly less psychotic than some of the others, fortunately for the FRR's sake. Imo, a code of honor is an elaborate set of excuses for abhorrent behavior; if the behavior wasn't abhorrent, you wouldn't need to justify it with a code of honor! ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users