Worst MWO Reviewer Ever?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Magnificent Bastard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'm sure many of you are aware there are some absolutely terrible reviews of MWO floating around.

Edited by Magnificent Bastard, 15 October 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#2 MuffinTop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,089 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNext door to nobody.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Be careful you might be labeled a fanboy, especially with that legendary tag.

#3 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Actually, i kind of like to watch the reactions of what i might call "noobs" to the MW franchise. Watching them talk about it and/or react to things that i've been familiar with for over a decade in a way brings back memories of how and when i got hooked on the BT universe. I do kind of laugh or chuckle when they do say something very ignorant, but the last thing i wanna do is bash these new guys...if anything i would welcome them to the community and encourage their new found hunger for lumbering around and blowing things up in awesome giant walking tanks! Just my opinion. :P

#4 Splitpin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationNoo Zeelund

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

Yeah I agree with Dr Death, not bad at all. While they don't know about the R key or much else, it's the legitimate view of an uneducated player which is who we're told will be the majority of players. It does show the urgent need of tutorials though.

#5 Grease Monkey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationKCMO

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

The point I think the OP is making though is we are not talking about average Joe jumping in to BT, we are talking about someone judging a product and posting those judgments for an audience. If you are a "noob" I would say it's perfectly fine and even expected to be ignorant. If you are posting review videos for an audience of people who will potentially base their opinions off of yours you'd better do your homework and not say something ignorant. If you don't like the game, that's fine that's your opinion but at least have the facts straight.

#6 Suprentus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostGrease Monkey, on 27 October 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

The point I think the OP is making though is we are not talking about average Joe jumping in to BT, we are talking about someone judging a product and posting those judgments for an audience. If you are a "noob" I would say it's perfectly fine and even expected to be ignorant. If you are posting review videos for an audience of people who will potentially base their opinions off of yours you'd better do your homework and not say something ignorant. If you don't like the game, that's fine that's your opinion but at least have the facts straight.

The video he posted isn't a review though. I watched it through, and I didn't see them criticize one thing about it. All they did was talk about it, and I didn't even notice anything overtly inaccurate. The only thing they judged really, was how good the graphics looked.

Edited by Suprentus, 27 October 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#7 Freeride Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

I think this might be a bit of an indicator that OB is waaaay premature. If someone taking the time to do a 20+ minute so called "review" of the game, knowing so little about it (like that 23 minutes is probably about all they played of it) then how will it be received by other new people who also have to go to YouTube for a ******* tutorial? Hawken is about as simple as it gets & they have an in-game tutorial. An actual level you go through. If MWO just had the video in the game I think it would make a major difference. It helps to "officialize" it. Hawken has push-to-talk VOIP built into the game. I've seen nothing in their Alpha or Beta that incorporates 3rd parties requiring numerous new windows to pop up. They're also not letting many people see what they're up to & you can be damn sure they've seen what PGI is after the cash grab. I'm not going to be a big fan of Hawken because Hawken is what it is (Unreal Tournament with funny looking robots) but they seem to be executing their project in a more sensible way. PGI (or whoever's pulling your strings) you need to get with the program. You've done an amazing job with damage mechanics & mech modeling but that's not all there needs to be. Unless you're going to solely rely on the "fanboys" to carry this (if they could even do it alone) then you need to step it up. Especially if you're gonna stick with this OB on Monday idea that I think is coming as a result of outside pressure.

As far as these "reviews" go, there's not that much to review right now so gross inaccuracies are unacceptable & pathetic AFAIC. I don't find it funny if someone who's clueless about the game looks at a false review & remains as clueless or even moreso about the game afterwards. I wanna play MWO for a long time & false information about the game whether positive or negative only makes things look that much worse as a whole. Hype leads to disappointment & ignorance only helps to further ignorance & removal of players from the game without knowing what's what. I'd prefer things just be told for how they are.

Edited by Freeride Forever, 27 October 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#8 Icebound

• Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostMagnificent *******, on 27 October 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

Side note: if you ever get bored facepalming at these videos you could turn them into a drinking game. Take a drink every time you hear a reviewer make an inaccurate statement about the game (two if it is particularly hilarious).

You'd be surprised how few drinks it takes to get alcohol poisoning if you drink them all within 10 minutes. I think this game would turn into a lot of dead players very quickly with reviewers like this.

#9 Suprentus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

View PostMagnificent *******, on 27 October 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

You didn't notice anything inaccurate? Really? According to the video your 'mech increases it's heat by "walking around" and the larger ones generate more heat faster. There are plenty of other examples in the video but I don't want to go into them right now (as I would have to rewatch the entire thing to get them all and I have other stuff to do at the moment.

It does increase its heat by walking around. Haven't you noticed your heat rise to about 8% or so when you're running, or that you dissipate heat faster when you're standing still? As for larger mechs generating more heat that way, I have no clue. I doubt that personally.

Even so, these are such minor details. Seeing how the entire video was pretty general and broad, it obviously isn't meant as an in depth categorical summary. Again, that video was no review of any sort whatsoever. There was no judging of the game, nor any claims of anything that detracts from the game. All it really is is just to show people the game, which is a good thing. I doubt anyone's going to hang on the technicals of such a video like this, and instead rely on a tutorial, as they mentioned the game should have.

Edited by Suprentus, 27 October 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#10 L A guns

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

I doubt anyone's going to hang on the technicals of such a video like this

I LOLed ,you wouldnt think so but there they are...

You didn't notice anything inaccurate? Really?

#11 Suprentus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

View PostL A guns, on 27 October 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

I LOLed ,you wouldnt think so but there they are...

lol my bad. Correction: I doubt any NEW players would hang on the technicals of such a video like this. That's what I really meant.

#12 Hexcaliber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

Small point, this was NOT a review, its GameSpot's now playing, each week they select a game to live stream; anyone who watches them knows what to expect, sometimes the people playing know the title inside out, sometimes not. However, other than a few errors relating to heat and its management, there were no gross inaccuracies in their presentation of the game, not with standing one of the personalities involved, it was a typical one off live stream, from "average" gamers.

#13 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

As far as Larger 'Mechs creating "more heat" I can see this from a new players perspective. Think about it. Most larger 'Mechs carry more weapons and not enough heatsinks to compensate for all the weapons it mounts. So PVT. Joe Snuffy, who is Mechwarrior #1 in his head, is alpha strike happy and doesnt know how to group fire, cycle fire, or manage heat worth a darn, is immediately going to get this impression.

#14 Logi

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHannover

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

since i am posting from my phone i make it short.
this review seems to cover the basics of the game well. something a new player can figure out for himself after a couple of hours playing. yes there are some mistakes in this review. but the BASICS are covered up. and i have also to say, that i would not be able to explain MWO better than these guys in JUST 20 minutes.

#15 Fl3tcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:44 AM

This appears to be two guys who know nothing about the game. Alot of people will be playing MW:O who are in the same situation as these guys, it's not a bad review, it's a good review by someone who has no idea about the history of the game.

What's bad is the OPs biased view of people who are new to the game and know very little about it.

It's a CB testers job to help the new players by answering question and helping them to understand the mechanics that make MW:O unlike any other TBFPS.

#16 jjuurriijj

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLjubljana, Slovenia

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:06 AM

Scumbag Steve hat: Play from Singapore / Point out the lag problem

#17 Robdillard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 135 posts
  • LocationDartmouth/ Halifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

this is what PGI wants, new blood looking at the game. The current community is giving PGI most of what they need to develop the game, though it is buried in a large number of rage posts.

Regarding lag, it exsists regardless of who is playing right now, from any location.

If PGI documented the used tatics of current mech pilots you can make a pretty awesome tutorial.

Overall the 2 major issues that can make this a good open beta is the lag and mm which would make a pretty solid open beta with these 2 in place. Ramming can come later but very close behind.

Though solid assessment of the functions for new people.

#18 Tetatae Squawkins

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

What was so terrible about that exactly?

#19 Marineballer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hauptmann
  • Hauptmann
  • 470 posts
  • LocationMünchen, Deutschland

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:03 AM

That vid is really really bad ;)

#20 RL Nice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationA computer.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

That video has nothing on this one:

This guy actually said that there's no customization! I even started my own thread about it.

Edited by RL Nice, 28 October 2012 - 06:46 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users