Dfa - Death From Above

v1.0.134

19 replies to this topic

#1 BlkFalcon

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

From earlier games of Mechwarrior you had the ability (albiet it was a difficult one and last resort) to use jump jets to "drop" on an enemie's head, therefore causing damage to that location. Since that is a weak area - you could kill it if it was already damaged.

Is this going to be introduced? I know the knock down and running into each other effect has been removed but I would love to add this as a last resort tactic if possible.

Thanks.

#2 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

shouldn't that work (in theory) already?
you always get damage from "ramming" other mechs, so why not "jump-ram" it on the head?

#3 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

They took out alot of the collision from CB to OB.... you used to get damage for ramming, falling off a small hill and that was annoying enough... Calculating out the DFA in this game might be too complex. I want it in, trust me as a long term franchise vet who used to do it with the good ole Kodiak... I miss it, but am unsure if this engine could handle it.

#4 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

View PostCreovex, on 05 November 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

They took out alot of the collision from CB to OB.... you used to get damage for ramming, falling off a small hill and that was annoying enough... Calculating out the DFA in this game might be too complex. I want it in, trust me as a long term franchise vet who used to do it with the good ole Kodiak... I miss it, but am unsure if this engine could handle it.

Yeah collision got taken out in the Open Beta Patch, and that makes me sad. It is also making my piloting sloppy as I can hit an Atlas full speed in my Jenner (138 something kph...) and take no damage or suffer no knock down. I am waiting for when they put it back in just to hear all the QQ from people who didn't know that it was in closed beta. It is going to be fun.

I'd love to see DFA's (re)implemented, as they were pretty fun!

#5 Tabrias07

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 482 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

Right now you take damage for colliding with people. nearly had my legs ripped off more than once in a cicada with some over-anxious teammates in cat's behind me.

I imagine they'll add it back in, but could you imagine how horrible OB would be if we still had dragon tackling?

#6 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Just add in damage from collisions and everything should work out.

#7 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

For the OP...

Assault/Defense Skills:
  • DFA Damage Reduction – Reduces the amount of damage caused by performing a Death From Above attack

From Dev Blog 4 - Role Warfare (cont.)

Imagine the ability will be fully implimented down the road... tho'... as I once ponder'd in a different thread a while back... wonder how they'll take hit-boxes into account... biggest benefit of DFA was landing that hit on the head of the Mech you're landing on... but, in game, take the Atlas, whose head hit box is it's left eye??

#8 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

I think the not taking damage from falling thing is only temporary, at least that's what I've heard

#9 JediMastaDJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostCody Furlong, on 05 November 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

I tried Doing DFA before, back when collision and ramming were still in, and it didn't work. All it did was end up knocking me to the ground damaged, while the other mech walked away without a scratch.

Yeah. I tried this with my Jenner once against a Cat. I legged myself and was quickly destroyed. lol. Never tried THAT one again!

#10 Verminaard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQc, Canada

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

I've heard the following (don't quote me on it, but from what i remember/hear):

-Collisions are only temporarily removed, they will return when they are in a better state.

-DFA should be possiable when collisions are restored by (colliding from above onto the mech below, and the point of inpact recieves damage). But I can't say if they are introducing a special set of ingame effects etc for this. I would expect standard collision damage just on upper half of the enemy mech.

Edited by Verminaard, 05 November 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#11 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

Pro's
1) It's funny
2) Its a fair tactic
3) Part of MW history

Con's
1)Jenner+Lagshield+no knockdown + able to DFA as well.

If it doesn't do alot of damage and does the same as the ramming did then sure. Last resort no weapons and or an Atlas off a cliff onto someone. As long as there isn't some bonus damage to make it a proper quick kill tactic then might as well bring back 1 Leg is dead.

It will be abused

#12 Stradivarious

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 194 posts
  • LocationSilverdale, WA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

It worked in the first couple weeks of closed beta but did no damage. I managed to knock down various Atlai in the same match 12 times(yes I counted as I was trying to do it) while listening to them laugh and ***** on the at the time official closed beta TS. Next patch they made it so jenners couldn't knock down Atlai except in very rare cases. :/

#13 Iulianus

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationShield Battalion

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

With the skill required to actually drop onto another mech's head, DFA should be awarded for those able to pull it off.

However, some of that fall damage was just a tad bit excessive.

Edited by Iulianus, 06 November 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#14 I Just Ate Your Grapes Bro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

This does work, had a match in a streak cat where the enemy team went into my base and powered down, my weapons were useless but it didn't prevent me from jumping on them, tore off a few components from a few of them, but it wasn't significant enough to do much else, but if all your weapons are gone, by all mean jump jet onto their heads!!!

#15 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

It works, but with collision damage being almost insignificant it is not worth doing. It was much more amusing when we had knock downs though it did not do any more real damage than it does now.

#16 Brucasaurus

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Yeah. You haven't lived until you've run your Jenner full-speed, full-jets, full-on into the ugly face of an Atlas.

#17 Dark Mortuus

• PipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

I miss it. Hope they can get DFA right in the upcoming patches!

#18 DoktorVivi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

I don't mind right now, but once I can get in a Kodiak, I'd better be able to crush people with my 100-ton jump jetter. :)

#19 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

I hope they go back to closed beta collision... Tired of watching guys jump off cliffs and take ZERO leg damage in an Atlas... 100 Tons dropping 2 stories SHOULD = broken metal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users