How to Buy Your Own Mech

14 replies to this topic

#1 EtherDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Posted this over on General... then found this forum, and it seemed to make much more sense here!

First off, unless you are a Founder, you probably only have access to Trial Mechs. I bet some of you are wondering how the crap to buy your own mech? (Or, in some cases, why would you?)

What the crap is a Trial Mech?

Well - think of a Trial Mech as one that you are being hired to pilot that does not belong to you. As such, you don't need to pay it's repair and re-arm costs. However, you don't earn as much money (c-bills) for each match, you can't accumulate Mech XP (pretty useful), and you can't customize it (very useful!).

Why do I want my own mech?

There are many good reasons to become a Pilot / Owner, rather than just a hired pilot:

1. You can costumize it! The Trial Mechs are like factory standard load-outs. Mass-produced for rich financiers who don't want to get their hands dirty and make a mech, only to hire some other fellow out to pilot the thing. The best Mech pilots know their machine inside and out because they have tweaked it to the best fit for their piloting style.

2. You can gain Mech XP each time you use it. Mech XP is useful for making your Mech perform better in various ways. Like handling heat more efficiently, or faster acceleration and breaking. Additionally - it's possible to convert Mech XP into General XP (GXP) by spending a small bit of Mech Cash (MC).

2b. You earn GXP by piloting any owned mech. GXP comes in handy later when you want to use advanced modules to further advance your favored role.

3. You earn more c-bills per match. This comes with a bit of risk, though - as you now need to repair and re-arm your mech from your own wallet. Assault Mechs, and those with expensive tech (Endo-Steel, for example) sometimes cost more to repair than what you get when you lose a match. A typical Light to Heavy mech is quite profitable to own, though, even when getting curb stomped all the time.

How do I get my own mech to pilot?

There are two routes to acquiring an owned mech, and reaping all the risks and rewards that come with having one.

1. Buy some Mech Cash (MC), these take you hard earned real-world dollars. Then use some MC to buy your own mech. They aren't cheap - but once you own it, it's yours until you sell it. (Note, you can only sell a mech for C-Bills). The least expensive Mech is only 680MC (About $2.75 at the going rate), the most expensive is 5,480MC, but you can get a solid medium Mech for 1515mc (About $6).

2. Save up your victories and buy it with C-Bills. The vast majority of Mechs are available for sale for C-Bills. At the time of this posting, there is only one unique variant that can't be bought with C-Bills - the Yen-Lo-Wang hero mech. The least expensive Mech (to date) is the Commando-1B, at 1.7million C-Bills. The Most expensive (the Atlas-K) at 13.7million C-Bills. Again, a solid medium Mech is well within reach at 3.7million C-Bills, or so.

3. Either way, the process in the interface is the same. First, click on "MECHLAB" at the top. Then, click on "Owned Mechs" in the lower left. Lastly, click on empty spot (lower center) and "CREATE NEW MECH" above the empty space. You will be presented with a list of all available Mechs on the right, with their class, tonnage, C-Bill, and MC prices. This is a good place to just look so you can see how much that mech you've been drooling over costs. Finally, once you have a mech selected, you can click on the "BUY MC" or "BUY CB" buttons (note: each button will be enabled only if you have enough of the correct currency).

A couple other differences between Trial Mechs and your owned ones:
  • Trial Mechs cycle every now and again; the Mech you are piloting now might not be available in the future.
  • Owned Mechs are yours forever (or until you sell them for C-Bills) and you can tweak and customize them over and over again.
The route to you own mech from a trial Mech takes some effort. But along the way you can learn how each class generally behaves, and how each trial chasi runs, as well as gaining valuable field experience in managing heat, and working as a team. Hopefully, by the time you get your own mech, you'll be able to be very profitable with it from the skills you learned. Good luck!

Edited by EtherDragon, 30 October 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#2 DWxThrasher

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

Very helpful, but I can not find anywhere that will let me browse the different mechs or purchase them whether with C-bills, or real currency.

#3 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostDWxThrasher, on 29 October 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

Very helpful, but I can not find anywhere that will let me browse the different mechs or purchase them whether with C-bills, or real currency.

Look across the top of the screen, click mechbay
Then look at bottom left of screen, click on tab for "own mechs"

Click on an empty mechbay slot that says "Create mech", spend some monay!!!!

#4 DWxThrasher

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

I can not thank you enough! I must be blind as a bat, I was getting so frustrated! Love the game though!

#5 EtherDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

Updated main post with info from CocoaJin. Thanks!

#6 TheUnderseer

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

Very nice. Could have definitely used this a few months ago when I started playing.

Though, if I may, I'd suggest adding a couple friendly screen shots, since some people have a hard time with plain text guides.

#7 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

You may want to edit this. The information is good, however some of it is dated.

Repair and rearm costs are no longer in the game (unless the devs do add it back in).

Your earnings with trial mechs are no longer nerfed (you earn the same as any other mech... which is nerfed but not the 75% nerf of CB). And you DO earn xp on trial mech variants, you just cannot spend them on a trial mech.

New players get a Cadet Bonus for the first 25 matches. And they should be really careful about using it as the inflated earnings will go away.

In order to really level up a mech, you will have to eventually buy three different variants (the D,F, and K) for a single chassis (Jenner). You need to unlock all eight Basic skills on all three in order to be able to start unlocking Elites. You will need to unlock all four Elite skills on three different variants of mech of the same weight class (Jenner, Commando, and Raven for Lights; you can substitute Spider for one of those chassis) in order to be able to start unlocking the Master slot. Please note if you get all Elite skills of the three variants of a single chassis that works too.

You can use MC to buy mech bays, Hero Mechs, and Premium Time. Hero Mechs and Premium Time will boost C-bill earnings. Hero Mechs will boost C-bill earnings by 30%. Premium Time will boost C-bill earnings AND XP gain by 50% ; C-bill earnings boosts stack, so if you use a Hero Mech and activate Premium TIme your match earnings will be icreased by 80%. Please note that Premium Time will NOT stack with Cadet Bonus.

Hero Mechs count as their own unique variant for Pilot Lab. If you have a Hero Mech, you will only have to buy two other variants of that chassis. Unless you really love that chassis and want to own them all, then buy away... as long as you have the mech bays to support them.

#8 D4mm3r

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 04:50 AM

Is there an update to this as of 5/15/21?

In free to play,

The mech bay requires 300 real life (MC) money to buy 4 mech bays?

Every mech I have seen requires MC?

I have MC 150 ( I got this ingame, I have no idea how I got this)
CB 30,000,000
GC 1000

I am losing interest very fast :(

#9 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:06 AM

View PostD4mm3r, on 15 May 2021 - 04:50 AM, said:

One Mechbay costs 300 MC. There are sales from time to time when the costs of various ingame items are reduced or halved.

No, the majority of 'Mechs can be bought EITHER for MCs OR CBills.

Check this screenshot, please.

Ebon Jaguar Prime can be bought either for MCs or in-game C-Bills - it is your choice.

Ebon Jaguar "Esprit de Corps" can be bought only for MCs.

Posted Image

CB 30,000,000
GC 1000

This is the Cadet bonus, awarded to the new players.

I am losing interest very fast Posted Image

What do you would like to know?

#10 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:06 AM

In free to play,

Each MechBay costs 300 MC's, as far as I remember.

But take it easy. You may get free MC's from doing challenges. Do these, get the extra stuff, including now the free mech. Posted Image

In time, you'll get enough to buy one or even two additional MechBays per challenge (if possible). Also - look for sales, where MechBays can cost just 150 Posted Image

No, majority are available for C-Bills

You should have at least 4 mech bays free to use. Look at this video for some recommendations (albeit it may be slighty dated).
Which Mech should I buy first? The Best Beginner Mechs for Mechwarrior Online - YouTube

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:19 AM

In free to play

The game lets you use 12 Trial 'Mechs. See the picture.

You can use as often as you wish and you do not have to buy 'Mechbays for them. However, you can not modify them.

Posted Image

On top of it there are regular events and challenges with 'Mechs as Prizes.

Currently there is one challenge ongoing: Leader of the Pack Free Mech Event

You can win this great 'Mech with 'Mechbay and a free livery.

Posted Image

#12 D4mm3r

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 06:25 AM

GOT IT....

THANK YOU ALL

#13 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:29 PM

And for just around 10 bucks u get some mechbays if u wait for a 50% sale. Since u dont "need" any other Investment the mechbay tax is rly low (and u get some mechbays over fp (but stick 2 qp first) or mc out of event

#14 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:11 PM

In free to play,

CB 30,000,000
GC 1000

And make sure to keep track of events, either via the forum or in-game in the Marquee or the M (sigma-type) laying on its side at the bottom. Events provide MC to purchase those mechbays, events to earn a mech/mechbay, C-Bills / GXP / GSP, Free Premium time etc.

I have an alt (T2) which I have not used RL funds on it at all. 1/2 priced mechbays occur a few times during the year (Winter Holidays and such) is when I purchase those, if needed. Even after all I have won, I have 2K MC, 300M and 46 mechs.

Understand that Event Premium Time can be held on to in a specific way. Say you play mostly on the weekends and you earned 7-day Premium time, it can be held up to two weeks before it needs to be claimed or it is lost. Another way, is say you get it on a Sunday but will not be back online in a week or two... Instead of claiming it in game, claim it on the website on the event page. Its countdown will not start until the next time you log into the game then it keeps running, whether or not you are playing.

Also, try NOT to sale mechs or equipment since you only get a portion its purchase price back.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 15 May 2021 - 08:15 PM.

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:52 AM

View PostD4mm3r, on 15 May 2021 - 06:25 AM, said:

GOT IT....

THANK YOU ALL

There is a new event : The Speed of Light Event - 2 Free Mechs in June

You can win two light 'Mechs with Mechbays.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users