European servers and South east asia?

87 replies to this topic

#21 Breaker

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Honestly, as much as I love the mechwarrior universe I didn't buy a founders pack. It was due to the lack of a proper server for the EU area.With pings of 100+ it makes playing as a good scout or sniper tougher than it should be. It's a shame, as I really want to play this game more than I do, but with these pings it means the experience is frustrating.

#22 Victor Kyle

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationTerra Australis

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

300+ makes balistic weapons shoot and prey. Need server closer to or in Australian, makes game play too bloody frustrating.

#23 DutchDreadnaught

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 9 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

+1 to Euro servers from here as well. Even tho a 140 ping isnt that high, As for any shooter more than 100 is too much.

#24 Kaspirikay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Believe me, its not too fun playing with 280 ping.

#25 MoronicMan

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Australia never gets any dedicated servers... its so annoying because it looks like such a great game... the lag is impossible to deal with...

#26 Norris J Packard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

European servers within 6 months.

#27 Wolf Larson

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Is there something weird going on with pings recently? I went from a just playable 300ms to 370ms (I'm in Western Australia - officially a bloody long way from anywhere else at all) +1 on a asian area server

#28 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

I'd be interested in seeing what kind of hardware the game needs on the server side.

I believe PGI is using a third party hosting company to run the game servers. I've been looking at the pricing for renting some dedicated hardware and a net connection through some of these companies and while the low end packages are pretty reasonable, the pricing is pretty steep for the high performance packages.

Edited by The Cheese, 20 January 2013 - 11:58 PM.

#29 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

i have to say it is a terrible downer/lack of foresight for pgi missing out on the potential world wide market and giving those players like myself in australia an excriciating time trying to tell bad netcode from basic lag. you are not competitive and spectating i've seen tons of misses you'd expect a toddler to make and then you check the ping and it makes sense he thinks he's shooting at something that's not there anymore etc etc.

this game wouldn't have half the stink it has with players if they actually did have reginal servers and split the player base so that people can have smoother target hittable quality matches instead of the messed and exploited broken matches we have now. preventing lag is almost as important as netcode especially in what's saddly become a far too competative enviroment for beta testing. i've had it with the e-peen k/d ratio crowd not taking into acount any of these foiables that has crushed many potential players and has elevated the worst players next to hackers. looking at you laggy lights.

side note: yes i have seen some pings fluctuate wildly, there's been talk about torrent downloads and such making artificial lag and then there was the entering of ecm bubbles in and out that caused raised ping for some people. anyone still getting any of that?

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 21 January 2013 - 12:13 AM.

#30 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Aussie here with 250+ ping, i dont have problems with lag or warping and i dont think that regional servers are going to help the game especially for Aussies, you are going to get tired of fighting the same half dozen teams after about 3 days. The problem i have is unloading a full alpha into a shut down Jenner or Raven(with a 40 ping) it shakes itself and runs away with barely any damage. Often i see a light mech warp and i ask my US team mates if they see the warp and always they do so its not just warping for my 250+ ping its warping to everyone so the lag isnt the issue. People say oh i have no problem shooting Ravens with my 40 ping and yet i constantly see 4-5 mechs with 40-50 ping shooting at a raven thats running around them and no one kills it.
For the Light pilots that say Learn to shoot i say get in a Mech that runs under 100kph and come fight me we will see who needs to learn..

#31 JoeRaikage

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 16 posts
  • LocationJakarta, Indonesia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

+1 for asia server,
I'm from Indonesian and the ping is about 250+ to 300 from here.. :(

#32 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

View PostN0MAD, on 21 January 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

Aussie here with 250+ ping, i dont have problems with lag or warping and i dont think that regional servers are going to help the game especially for Aussies, you are going to get tired of fighting the same half dozen teams after about 3 days. The problem i have is unloading a full alpha into a shut down Jenner or Raven(with a 40 ping) it shakes itself and runs away with barely any damage. Often i see a light mech warp and i ask my US team mates if they see the warp and always they do so its not just warping for my 250+ ping its warping to everyone so the lag isnt the issue. People say oh i have no problem shooting Ravens with my 40 ping and yet i constantly see 4-5 mechs with 40-50 ping shooting at a raven thats running around them and no one kills it.
For the Light pilots that say Learn to shoot i say get in a Mech that runs under 100kph and come fight me we will see who needs to learn..

yeah that's why i'm opting netcode first but in the minds of players ping makes a difference and impressions mean a lot for gathering players. right now MWO is so woefull at accomodating new blood. no one wants a training video people want training areas for people to manage the controls properly before running into buildings and mixing up weapons groups in the middle of the match. cadet bonus just about bypassed the broken trial mechs but a good match maker still isn't here. if people think for a moment that its all this lag that's helping others murder them before they understand backwards isn't instantaneous they could be walking out the door. even under ignorance we need ways of maintaining recruits and choice of server could have a psycological edge to pan out the long work it's going to take to actually clear this netcode mess up.

#33 HRR Mary

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

I'm in Europe, and I don't want any Euro Server, as it will mean a divided player base : don't expect to be able to play matches with NA anymore.

My whole team is in North America, and I've been playing with a steady 130ms ping since Closed Beta. Considering that I had a 450 ms ping in MW4's day, I see little trouble with the current situation.

#34 Denimdemon

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSofia Bulgaria

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

Playing from Bulgaria with a ping not higher than 145 but mostly around 130( routed via Frankfurt), would like to be able to choose the region where to play maybe at login or start of the client.

#35 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

View PostThe Cheese, on 20 January 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

I'd be interested in seeing what kind of hardware the game needs on the server side.

I believe PGI is using a third party hosting company to run the game servers. I've been looking at the pricing for renting some dedicated hardware and a net connection through some of these companies and while the low end packages are pretty reasonable, the pricing is pretty steep for the high performance packages.

Yet natural selection 2 managed it at launch.

View PostHRR Mary, on 21 January 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

I'm in Europe, and I don't want any Euro Server, as it will mean a divided player base : don't expect to be able to play matches with NA anymore.

A simple UI would allow you to choose region if you play in US peak. We've been told again and again recently how good the player numbers are so division shouldn't be an issue.

#36 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

View PostHRR Mary, on 21 January 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

My whole team is in North America, and I've been playing with a steady 130ms ping since Closed Beta. Considering that I had a 450 ms ping in MW4's day, I see little trouble with the current situation.

This.

[color=#959595]A simple UI would allow you to choose region if you play in US peak. We've been told again and again recently how good the player numbers are so division shouldn't be an issue.[/color]

The problem with your statement is that yes the player numbers may be good, but where does the bulk of the playerbase sit?
The playerbase is ok as a whole group, would each individual region survive on it's own? is an entirely different question.

#37 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

Why do you assume that the bulk of the playerbase is consolidated in a single region?

And wouldn't a simple region selector make the point moot? If your region is quiet then hop to the next timezone and play with a poor ping for the sake of a game. There's probably fifty games in which you can do this.

#38 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

View PostInertiaman, on 21 January 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

Why do you assume that the bulk of the playerbase is consolidated in a single region?

And wouldn't a simple region selector make the point moot? If your region is quiet then hop to the next timezone and play with a poor ping for the sake of a game. There's probably fifty games in which you can do this.

Because that would break their ideas further down the line, they have said before each region will have its own version of clan wars (bad idea..very bad) It is also fairly difficult and i imagine costly due to different companies hosting the servers, to implement with a matchmaker based system, and even more so with Elo rankings, the setup would have to be able to transfer that player data between regions, something even LoL does not do without charging for you to keep your data.

Why do you assume the bulk of the player base is not consolidated in one region? Im pretty positive the Asian server would be very quiet for this game. The NA/EU ones would likely be ok, although i have never found EU Mech units to be of the same skill level as the top tier NA units.

Edited by DV McKenna, 21 January 2013 - 01:46 AM.

#39 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Here a list of some Free2Play games that have regional servers:

World of Tanks,
Planetside2,
World of Warplanes (Beta)
Age of Conan (recently F2P)
League of Legends
Dungeons and Dragons Online

Need I go on? Why is MW:O the odd man out?

#40 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 21 January 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

Im pretty positive the Asian server would be very quiet for this game.

Yes them Asians can't stand a giant f2p robot.

ELO - that simply gives each player a universal, adjusted PSR. What's the problem checking this when someone enters a queue regardless of region. It's a system that works in several games, over several regions right now. This isn't speculation.

http://www.heroesofn...th.com/players/

In the meantime, and as far as I can see in absence of any good reasons on your part why separate regions would be a bad thing, everyone suffers today in lieu of your fears of a sub-standard tomorrow. It makes no sense.

Edited by Inertiaman, 21 January 2013 - 01:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users