How To Gauss Sniper On Mad-3R

11 replies to this topic

#1 IvanUkr

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 05:02 PM

Hi, not fresh new to the game, but still in need of advice. Try to make my MAD-3R to do it's job as a long range build, but at the end of the day I always finish with under 300 damage per battle, when alive. Huge fan of ballistics, same with my Marauder. But I'll accept any kind of advices, even if it will be about other mechs, that do well with gauss. Thanks!!

Right now it looks like this:
Loadout (AI592081|i^|i^|lbp`0|P@|P@q`0r\0|E@|E@s\0|E@|E@t[0|;P|;Pu[0|;P|;PvB0wD0@0@0)
Skills (affcf5ed302b27411914bdff56fdf8a1f8c050000000000501f4300000000)

#2 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 03 April 2024 - 05:19 PM

A warm welcome back to MWO!

OP's original build as below:
MAD-3R: 2x Light Gauss + 4x erSML, STD310 engine, with 3x empty slots left (Endo + FF)
https://mwo.nav-alph...1e0fdcfe_MAD-3R

#3 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 05:27 PM

Since erSML does not fit that well with longer range Light Gauss, and you have a STD310 engine:

May I suggest this:
MAD-3R: 2x Light Gauss + ERPPC + LE310 engine (Endo+FF)
https://mwo.nav-alph...260624ae_MAD-3R

Note: This is the first iteration suggestion. See below for more suggestions.

#4 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 05:34 PM

You can also refer to GrimMech's suggested mech build list and database!

'Best?' build list (Work In Progress)
https://grimmechs.is...ts?list=general

GrimMech's build database (Work In Progress--in view of new 2024 weapons)
https://grimmechs.is...im.org/Database

------------------------------------------------------------
If you insist on using MAD-3R (may I suggest MAD-4L which is 100ton mech, does Gauss sniping with ECM too):

According to GrimMechs:
MAD-3R: 3x AC5 + 3x Light PPC, STD250 engine (still goes at 54kph), (Endo + Light FF)
https://mwo.nav-alph...d4899584_MAD-3R

#5 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 03 April 2024 - 05:35 PM

I go with the classic, it always delivers.

https://mwo.nav-alph...969deb7b_MAD-3R

This fellow fires the AC/5's three times for each PPC volley... BANG tap tap BANG... and has few heat issues. You're looking at fighting at 600m instead of 900m, but I find that puts me in a better position to engage more targets.

#6 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 04 April 2024 - 06:29 AM

I LOVE the 75 Ton Marauder and have more of them than any other mech. That said it's not the greatest when it comes to pure sniper work. It shines though in roles of brawling and as 500 - 700 meter fighter. The addition of the new SB Gauss makes it even better. The 3R though is definitely NOT the longer range fighter given its lack of mobility due to no Jump Jets. JJs count for ALOT when it comes to fighting at longer ranges. Although I am starting to play around with 3LAC5 to experiment. That though is not a sniper but a moderate face time mech.

My favorite at range MAD is the MAD-5M or Bounty Hunter 2. Here is a nice 5M build
Right Arm BLC & LL
Left Arm 3ERML
RT SBGR
280LFE
1JJ
4DHS
2Tons Ammo

The BLC and LL have close enough burn and cool down as to make them work well in a single group providing essentially 3LL and a SBGR on the right side. Marauders have an excellent front profile for rolling damage which is why high dump and turn builds work well. MADs do not get crazy perks because the chassis is simply that damn good.

At the same time the 2ERPPC / GR of the MAD BH2 simply struggles to put out enough damage fast enough to make a big difference. The long cool down and incredible heat means you simply don't get to output as much damage in the time available as something doing solid numbers fairly regularly at 500m. Take that down to the 2SPPC / AC20 / 2 - 4ML builds and you really see some impressive brawl numbers.

mad-5m

#7 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 04 April 2024 - 07:09 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 03 April 2024 - 05:35 PM, said:

I go with the classic, it always delivers. https://mwo.nav-alph...969deb7b_MAD-3R This fellow fires the AC/5's three times for each PPC volley... BANG tap tap BANG... and has few heat issues. You're looking at fighting at 600m instead of 900m, but I find that puts me in a better position to engage more targets.

Nice. I really love some of these new weapons though for the MADs.
mad-3r
3LAC5
BLC & LL in the right arm
2 ERML in the left arm.
Pinpoint damage from the PPC is nice when you are firing and twisting but with AC5s you are not really twisting away between shots, you are facetiming. When facetiming the BLC & LL shine more since you are going to be dwelling on the target anyway.

#8 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 04 April 2024 - 09:11 AM

View PostKen Harkin, on 04 April 2024 - 07:09 AM, said:

Nice. I really love some of these new weapons though for the MADs.
mad-3r
3LAC5
BLC & LL in the right arm
2 ERML in the left arm.
Pinpoint damage from the PPC is nice when you are firing and twisting but with AC5s you are not really twisting away between shots, you are facetiming. When facetiming the BLC & LL shine more since you are going to be dwelling on the target anyway.

True. the AC/5's lay down fire more often. I may try switching up to LAC/5's as they have a longer cooldown, pair them with heavy PPC's instead...

https://mwo.nav-alph...3f35258f_MAD-3R

Edit... patch note leaks have the cooldown on the LAC/5's being reduced, as well as a heat reduction for the regular PPC. So next up is this... though it does reduce the engagement range a bit...

https://mwo.nav-alph...26a12b6c_MAD-3R

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 04 April 2024 - 09:56 AM.

#9 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 04 April 2024 - 12:42 PM

View PostIvanUkr, on 03 April 2024 - 05:02 PM, said:

Hi, not fresh new to the game, but still in need of advice. Try to make my MAD-3R to do it's job as a long range build, but at the end of the day I always finish with under 300 damage per battle, when alive. Huge fan of ballistics, same with my Marauder. But I'll accept any kind of advices, even if it will be about other mechs, that do well with gauss. Thanks!!

Loadout (AI592081|i^|i^|lbp`0|P@|P@q`0r\0|E@|E@s\0|E@|E@t[0|;P|;Pu[0|;P|;PvB0wD0@0@0)

Well, the problem with the Marauder as a Gauss platform is that you need energy weapons to supplement the Gauss Rifle. And since IS energy doesn't have as much range, you have to get closer to the enemy - while exposing your entire upper chassis to clear arm weapons - and you tend to get out-slugged. That (and your rear armor allocations, if those are right) is part of why you're topping out at 300 damage in your matches.

If I was going to do a Gauss build on the Marauder, I'd start on something like This Build. Be certain you don't fire the Gauss within .5 seconds of the LPPCs. The heat scale penalty will eat you. But the guns synch better and you've got a lot more range flexibility than what you're using (with only 0.2 dps difference.) Last time I played a MAD-3R I was using LB-X SNAC, but it was an experimental build, and my Bounty Hunter 2 does SNAC better. My favorite overall Marauder for quickplay is my MAD-9M.

Now, for other 'mechs, there's a ton of them, but I don't have a lot of dakka set up for the Heavy weight class right now. I'd recommend going for that PPC/AC5 Mix, possibly with UAC5s for burst - or just go Full Dakka. On the Clan side, the Sun Spider D is one of the best ballistic damage farmers in the game.

Edited by Void Angel, 04 April 2024 - 12:43 PM.

#10 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 04 April 2024 - 12:57 PM

On the Assault side, the Clan Blood Asp is one of the best weapons platforms available. More agile than a Dire Wolf or Annihilator (both of which can mount superb ballistic loadouts,) it has ECM and weapon mounts that are actually a little too high. There is a reason it doesn't have any quirks to speak of. I've also had good results recently with a Nightstar 10P, though its widely spaced mounts present problems. But currently, my favorite Ballistics platform is Stumbles, my Stone Rhino. He loves pets, and long walks, and 54% of his body weight is autocannon. No, not including ammunition. Skip half the cooldown nodes and Get Speed Tweak, then stick with the team and try not to be the first threat the enemy sees.

PS: Stumbles's current build is a work in progress, because I wanted a jump jet to get around the map better. Original Build was slightly faster with the same skill lineup.

Edited by Void Angel, 04 April 2024 - 12:57 PM.

#11 Rattler85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 275 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 05:28 PM

I would run 3 AC2s and secondary lasers or 3 RAC2s and secondary lasers.

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted Yesterday, 01:55 AM

View PostIvanUkr, on 03 April 2024 - 05:02 PM, said:

SLs don't work with Gauss. You unnecessarily went with Ferro-Fibrous Armor. If you switch it for Light Ferro, you lose 0.7 ton but have the space to upgrade to a Light Engine which saves you 5 tons.

Your build doesn't really have the stopping power it should at that tonnage - try something with ballistic slots in more than one location, such as Warhammer 6R, instead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users