Upgrades questions

5 replies to this topic

#1 Knyght

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

I'm referring here specifically to the equipment in the "upgrades" tab of the mechlab.

So, I know from experimentation and reading that endo-steel structure is usually more efficient than ferro-fibrous armour. What are the typical situations when ferro-fibrous is better? Are there any? Is there some easy way to calculate this? Presumably it's more efficient the more armour you're using. So if endo-steel reduces your weight by one ton, how many tons of armour would you need before ferro-fibrous is better?

Secondly, I'm aware that repair bills are based on your equipment, engine, etc. But since the upgrades came out recently I've been wondering about them. I have endosteel on my Commando (lols) and haven't noticed much of an increase in repair bills, if any. So there's a one-time fee, but do destroyed structure slots cost more to repair? If so, roughly how much more? Same question for ferro-fibrous slots.

As for double heatsinks, I'm aware that they cost more than regular heatsinks, so here it is fairly easy to see the increase in repair bills (which they do, right?).

Also while I'm on about repair fees: If you have an XL engine, and you're destroyed from right/left torso destruction, do you pay less than if it were centre torso? As in, are the repair bills scaled to the number of engine slots destroyed?

Thanks

#2 Vactus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 876 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:54 AM

View PostKnyght, on 30 October 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:

I'm referring here specifically to the equipment in the "upgrades" tab of the mechlab.

So, I know from experimentation and reading that endo-steel structure is usually more efficient than ferro-fibrous armour. What are the typical situations when ferro-fibrous is better? Are there any? Is there some easy way to calculate this? Presumably it's more efficient the more armour you're using. So if endo-steel reduces your weight by one ton, how many tons of armour would you need before ferro-fibrous is better? FF armor is really only useful if you need more weight reductions and already have ES structure. The general rule is "If you have the c-bills and space, get ES first. FF if you still need more weight available."

Secondly, I'm aware that repair bills are based on your equipment, engine, etc. But since the upgrades came out recently I've been wondering about them. I have endosteel on my Commando (lols) and haven't noticed much of an increase in repair bills, if any. So there's a one-time fee, but do destroyed structure slots cost more to repair? If so, roughly how much more? Same question for ferro-fibrous slots. Endo-steel currently isn't that expensive. You'll pay more for armor repairs than anything but an XL engine or ammo reloads. ES > FF and cheaper.

As for double heatsinks, I'm aware that they cost more than regular heatsinks, so here it is fairly easy to see the increase in repair bills (which they do, right?). There is an increase i repair costs, but until DHS are fixed to be in the engine as well, there is no real sure number on just how much more expensive the repair bills will be vs SHS.

Also while I'm on about repair fees: If you have an XL engine, and you're destroyed from right/left torso destruction, do you pay less than if it were centre torso? As in, are the repair bills scaled to the number of engine slots destroyed? A CT will always cost you less in repair bills no matter the engine. It's just less overall damage taken. Repair bills are more scaled to how much overall damage you've taken. If used to be a single scratch on your mech would put you in the poor house. However, yes, a LT or RT kill is going to cost you more to repair.

Thanks

Answers in bold.

Edited by Vactus, 30 October 2012 - 04:54 AM.

#3 Crimson Dux

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 170 posts
  • LocationLisbon, PT

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

Lots of questions... Made me think a little bit as you raise some interesting points. My answers can be totally wrong as I, frankly, pay the repairs and don't go about analising it since I have ammo depend builds and every game is different. After a while repair cost are not that important
When ferro-fibrous is better? IMO never. Since it is armour, it's the 1st thing to be destroyed. And it's too expensive for the 12% (I think) bonus on armour you get.
"So if endo-steel reduces your weight by one ton,...". It doesn't. Endo reduce your weight by 5% (half your internal structure weight). On a 60 tons mech (per ex.) you gain 3 tons.

...do destroyed structure slots cost more to repair? If they do, its not relevant. I never notice a biggest repair bill due to endo-steel. I don't use FF.

DHS are more expensive, so... yeah cost more to repair. And since they use more slots then SHS they have a bigger probability to get a critical.

...do you pay less than if it were center torso? As in, are the repair bills scaled to the number of engine slots destroyed?
Well... The engine is never destroyed at 100%. I get to repair my XL from 65% to 78% on my cat (almost always CT). I don't think it have a direct correlation with locations or slot, but more about the raw damage.

Edited by Crimson Dux, 30 October 2012 - 05:23 AM.

#4 Minoxen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 194 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

First off the 12% armor bonus is misleading. What Ferro Exactly does is improove the weight efficiency. If your maxed out on armor adding ferro will NOT increase your armor by 12%.

Here is the math to see how much Weight Ferro will save you:

Your Armor / 32 = tons of standard armor you have
Your Armor / 35 = tons of Ferro armor you have

So, lets say I'm a Catapult with 350 Armor total
350/32= 10.93 tons standard armor
350/35 = 10.0 tons Ferro Fiberous

This means you have almost 1 extra ton of weight available you can use to add additional armor, or to add something else.

Endo Steel is always better for saving weight and adding armor if u want to. Endo is 5% of your mechs total tons so you free up from:

1.25 tons (Commando) to 5 tons (Atlas)

#5 Knyght

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

Thanks guys.

Yeah I know how FF works, just too tired to figure out the maths myself. And knew about the 5% thing, 1 ton was just an example.

But thanks. Seems like, generally speaking, ES and DHS are worth the money/slots, unless you really need them for big big weapons.

#6 Heaven Knight

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

I wish they would explain a heck of a lot more it took me 3 friggin days to find out how to be able to sue the new armor, now i want to know how to use the new structure, or is it you can use the enw armor which uses the 14 crit slots but you cant use the structure at teh same time, is it an either or situation, if bot then how the ehck can i be able to use the new structure then, where do those 14 crit slots come from, id say before new stuf is put in game, CREATE A BETETR EXPLANATION ON HOW TO EQUIP THIS STUFF FIRST before popping it in game, im not a rocket sceintist so nice plain english would be nice, as for my question, its still how to be able to use the new structure, it says i need 14 crit slots, ok fine, from where, what stuff do i take off, etc, please someone im going bald trying to figure this out, a straight answer would be nice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users