53 replies to this topic

#1 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

With the recent changes, if I'm only going to unlock and try (the advanced version of) one of these two consumables, which should it be and why? Thanks.

Edited by Terciel1976, 04 November 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#2 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

For the most part, I would suggest unlocking these as a last resort. They cost MC or c-bills, might want to invest those in mechs.

#3 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostKyrie, on 04 November 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

For the most part, I would suggest unlocking these as a last resort. They cost MC or c-bills, might want to invest those in mechs.

I'm aware of the costs. I have unlocked every other module I wish to and would like to try them out. I play enough that 40k cbills here and there doesn't bother me.

#4 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

IIRC air strike is in a line, and arty hits in a circular pattern, the circle is easier to manage, and both do the same damage (40). I would choose arty if i had the C-bills/GXP

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

If you want to harass a group, Artillery. If you manage to leg or shutdown a mech, Air Strike is a load of high damage fun but the precision required sucks.

#6 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostKoniving, on 04 November 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

If you want to harass a group, Artillery. If you manage to leg or shutdown a mech, Air Strike is a load of high damage fun but the precision required sucks.

So how do the mechanics work (braces for KoniVideoFest2013Part983 :P)? You have to aim it like a shot, then it goes off?

Edited by Terciel1976, 04 November 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#7 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

The new improved arty is pretty good :P

#8 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 04 November 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

So how do the mechanics work (braces for KoniVideoFest2013Part983 :P)? You have to aim it like a shot, then it goes off?

The placement is wherever your arm (the circle) reticule is targeting. If you place it on a mech, it will usually drop it right at their feet.

#9 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

I had this question this morning to my wife. Is the Air strike straight out in a line from your feet, your torso or your arm reticule?

#10 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thanks, guys.

#11 Teela Zain Elmes

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNear planet Huntress

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

... hey PGI what about orbital strikes?!

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 04 November 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

For the artillery, it'll hit everywhere but where you mark randomly around the targeted area.

For airstrike it will literally start 2 to 5 meters before the marked point and "spray," we don't know if it always goes in a set direction or if it goes the direction you are looking. We do know that if you're not within 500 meters it never even tries to render for you even if you're staring right at it.

#13 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

I unlocked the upgraded Artillery Strike module recently. What a total waste of GXP. First of all, the placement mechanics are awkward and not intuitive. Second, it places a huge, bright, and totally obvious smoke signal right in the target area about 4-5s before the strike hits, allowing plenty of time for enemies to move. Finally, it does practically no damage at all, even to dumasses who stand right in the middle of it. Quite possibly the most useless module in existence.

#14 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

airstrike can be better, but both are situational. you need the right space and the right time, and i believe the airstrike is in the direction you are looking.

#15 Doomstryke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

air strike is great if people aren't paying attention. I killed Jonty pgi guy with one about a week ago, full health, airstrike destroyed side torso and killed him about 2 minutes into the match.

Artillery is a good crowed control attack. I tend to drop one at the enemy's main entrance to theta on tera therma for example. Usually its a quick 150-350 damage from just the strike and throws off the enemy's momentum and well hell i have nothing else to drop cbills on anyways

#16 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

Get me some mines and granades please and mortars too

#17 NuclearPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostNRP, on 04 November 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

I unlocked the upgraded Artillery Strike module recently. What a total waste of GXP. First of all, the placement mechanics are awkward and not intuitive. Second, it places a huge, bright, and totally obvious smoke signal right in the target area about 4-5s before the strike hits, allowing plenty of time for enemies to move. Finally, it does practically no damage at all, even to dumasses who stand right in the middle of it. Quite possibly the most useless module in existence.

Sounds like you're using it wrong then. I use it upgraded artillery, plus the 20% accuracy mod to with great success frequently.

#18 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

I would say that Arty strike is easier to find a useful situation for. Airstrike is good for maps with limited movement corridors (canyons, terra therma, parts of forest colony).

View PostNRP, on 04 November 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

40 damage is nothing to scoff at. The much hated PPC stalker did 40 damage. In reality, the point of the arty/air strikes is not to damage the opponents, but to break up defenses or halt an advance. A well placed strike can completely change the course of a game. I'll share a story from one of my fellow Golden Foxes. The desired effect is psychological.

[four of us] ran a match on Canyons. Enemy team started at the base in E3 and did the normal run to the right following the river. We managed to get most of our team to go left to hit them head on. Using good focus fire they managed to kill 2 players on our team. and forced a stalemate. But, they had at least 10 mechs grouped at c4 just above the river. So targeting the center mech, I dropped the artillery strike. A few mechs saw the smoke but were blocked by the rest from moving. so they all got hit. Which caused many of them to panic. At first a couple tried to retreat. But once again, packed like sardines they couldn't move fast.This started a full scale route, as the whole team tried to run back to base. they got flanked and chased by our team and stream rolled. The whole river bed was littered with mech bits. I did some targeting of the enemy mechs. I could tell many of them were hit so bad that armor was reduced to orange, and a few had red.

#19 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAlegro: Ramora Province fighting Pirates. and the occasional Drac

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

I'll use both, as stated above they are situational...They both take some practice to be truly useful, but the Arty is definitely the easier one to be effective with.
I load them both in my Jenner K...(have mod slots will use) and use them according to what map i am on and according to which one will help my team the most...
Also placement helps...try and drop them behind the enemy...less reaction time..

#20 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

I use the improved Arty occasionally to either cover my teams escape from a bad position or to ruffle the feathers of a deeply entrenched group of defenders (usually under ECM). The damage is not that amazing, but with the screen shake and smoke it is a nice distraction.
If you place the Arty slightly behind or to the side of your intended target they usually don’t see the smoke until it is too late.

I have yet to try out the Air strike.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users