I need a good scout killer.

55 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

So Jenner's are starting to irk me, and well founders catapult even with pulse lasers isn't the best at dealing with them.

What would you recommend? I was thinking of hunch back 4sp, or maybe a cent with upgraded engine.

Eventually everyone will go back to Atlas spam, and I can get back to the routine, but for right now Jenners need to be punted.

#2 Lsq78

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

Well, for a good scout killer you might want something with ssrm's. Personally, i find my raven 3L with 3ML and 2 SSRMS and maxed armor to be quite an efficient counter-scout.

If you want to stick to the cat', you may want to try the A1 with 6x SSRMS. I hear its an absolute nightmare for scouts.

Edited by Lsq78, 31 October 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#3 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

Catapult C-4 with 4x Streak SRM2 and 2x Medium Pulse Laser. This has been my anti-scout/brawler setup for a while. Also the A-1 with 6x SSRM2 sounds more effective theoretically. (2x MPL= 4ton, which equals 2x SSRM2 + 1 ton of ammo)

Also the Commando 2-D with 3x SSRM2 and a giant XL engine could do the magic too. Sometimes scouts are best at killing scouts.

#4 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

Eh doesnt need to be a cat still. Sounds like SSRMs are more useful than anything else. I heard the LBX is effective against them...and well only them. True? or stick with pulse lasers, and streaks?

#5 Phemeto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

LBX-10 is not a good gun in general, but i still love it. with the poor hit detection now, i find it a bit more useful since i dont need to aim well and its not like aiming is going to help either. so a quick shot in their general direction is usually enough to get a few hits which makes them scurry away

#6 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Anything with SSRMs makes a good scout-hunter. The other thing it needs is speed.

#7 Hatachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 456 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

My personal favorite is an XL engine Dragon 1N, Gauss Rifle in Ballistic Arm, 2 SSRM 2s in the Torso, TAG in shoulder, and Large Laser in the laser arm, they can just barely outrun you, but you can streak SRM them up close, and you can hit them at range for a long time when they try to get away.

#8 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

SSRMs will make a light mech have to pay attention to you, but try to bring something else with them if you can. If you come up against an experienced Jenner pilot it will know how to avoid streak missiles in open ground.

#9 Blackfire1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

I like the Hunchback 4P and the SP.

#10 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

I prefer using scouts to kill scouts...

Two I recommend are

Find 'em and Grind 'em: http://www.mechspecs...-Grind-Em-Build
Helmer's "The Mason Build": http://www.mechspecs...-Mason-Build%29

#11 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 31 October 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

I prefer using scouts to kill scouts...

Two I recommend are

Find 'em and Grind 'em: http://www.mechspecs...-Grind-Em-Build
Helmer's "The Mason Build": http://www.mechspecs...-Mason-Build%29

I lol'd at the comments on that second one.

#12 Deonmag

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

Everyone says "max out armor" but for some reason I can't add armor on say front plate dispite my armor 8 points below max in front and in general. But at the same time I can add 16 armor on legs in any combination from 8 to 12 per leg. Why it now allow me to add that armor on front?

#13 Nokkeli

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

I don't know about the best but i know it's not a cplt. I just went one on one with my commando yesterday barely without taking a hit. If you want to kill scouts then get a mech that is fast or at least can turn fast, else you will just be wasting your time and money.

#14 Schrottfrosch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

The Commando Com-2D with 3 missile hardpoints is quite effective with 3 SSRM 2:

You dont have to aim and you are most of the time fast enough to keep up with your target. I dont have one myself, but I think I will test one, soon. Because I only see a problem eventually in cost-effectiveness, as SSRMs are costly eventually and I also do not yet know if it is necessary to use an XL-engine.

If you manage to put a standard engine on it and 3 SSRMs plus some ammo and max armor while reaching a speed of at least 100kph I bet it is going to rock. Dont forget to take at least a small laser with you, too - else it is going to be pretty embarrassing to run out of missiles at some point :rolleyes:

And an advice regarding lasers: If aiming at a light always lead a bit! Check the damage readout rather than just looking at your target, because even if it seems you might hit your target, only the damage readout (if you have locked the target with "r") shows damage reliably!

#15 Squarefox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

View PostDeonmag, on 01 November 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

Everyone says "max out armor" but for some reason I can't add armor on say front plate dispite my armor 8 points below max in front and in general. But at the same time I can add 16 armor on legs in any combination from 8 to 12 per leg. Why it now allow me to add that armor on front?

Front and rear armor added up have to be below or equal the maximum armor.
Front armor + rear armor <= maximum armor at this location

#16 Raalic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 483 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:57 AM

I actually really like the CN9-A as a scout hunter. XL260, 3 SSRM2, 2 MPL, 1 MG, DHS, maxed armor. Try it out. Streaks are obviously your best friend as a light hunter. This mech is relatively fast (84kph), and kills lights in a matter of 2-3 salvos along with continuous MG/MPL fire to CT.

#17 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

I load out my Jenner as a light killer.

The biggest tips for dealing with them, loadout wise, is to use pulse lasers, streak SRM's, and LBx cannons. Pulse and Streaks are best, though.

#18 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Okie thanks for the tips!

#19 DrSecretStache

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWherever the Cbills flow

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Something worth adding, even though mech pilots are getting good at avoiding ssrms (running around in circles, it seems), if you lead the targetting reticle in front of them, then the missiles will actually hit them. It takes practice, but I've taken out many a Jenner who was circling me in my COM-2D. It's also extremely cost effective if you don't reload it. The reload costs anywhere between 15-25k c-bills, but if you take 2-3 tons of ammo, you should have enough ammunition even at 75%, cutting the cost for rearm and repair if you don't rearm down to about 5-15k total. Great money maker, as it happens.

Edited by Zoughtbaj, 01 November 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#20 Kunaizel

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

What you want to kill scouts are lasers (small, medium), SSRMs, and arms (to get wide angle shots as they circle). Doesn't matter what mech as long as they have those hardpoints.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users