Background Poll

26 replies to this topic

Poll: Background Poll (165 member(s) have cast votes)

Your first introduction to Battletech was...

1. through the original TT board game (61 votes [36.97%])

Percentage of vote: 36.97%

2. through the early novels (17 votes [10.30%])

Percentage of vote: 10.30%

3. through the early computer games (28 votes [16.97%])

Percentage of vote: 16.97%

4. through the Mechwarrior franchise of computer games (51 votes [30.91%])

Percentage of vote: 30.91%

5. Other (8 votes [4.85%])

Percentage of vote: 4.85%

Does that introduction influence how you feel MW:O should work?

1. Yes (111 votes [67.27%])

Percentage of vote: 67.27%

2. No (42 votes [25.45%])

Percentage of vote: 25.45%

3. Other (12 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

I consider myself to be...

1. hardline pro canon Battletech (25 votes [15.15%])

Percentage of vote: 15.15%

2. moderate pro canon Battletech (71 votes [43.03%])

Percentage of vote: 43.03%

3. middle of the road (43 votes [26.06%])

Percentage of vote: 26.06%

4. moderate pro Mechwarrior style (13 votes [7.88%])

Percentage of vote: 7.88%

5. hardline pro Mechwarrior style (4 votes [2.42%])

Percentage of vote: 2.42%

6. Other (9 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Q. How loyal will MechWarrior® Online™ be to the tabletop rules (heat management, melee, armor penetration, etc.)?
A. We are adhering very closely to the BattleTech® tabletop rules. Some mechanics in the tabletop version of the game do not translate well into a videogame and we are coming up with our own rule sets that mitigate these differences in an intuitive and fun manner.

The above is from the Q & A section of the forums. I read it as is… they want to stick to the classic Battletech board game, so long as it fits in with how a computer Mech combat simulation will work out. When someone asks a question on the boards that I know the answer to, I try to answer that person using this understanding as a guideline.

Beyond this, the attitude of the player base is totally influenced by how they were introduced to Battletech. A table top player had books to tell them where Mechs came from, how long it took to create one, modify one, fully repair one. Variants on those chassis and the reason they were introduced. Owners of the original boxed set even had a rules section on how to create your own Mechs. Players may have been introduced to the game through Battletech novels. The stories gave life to these walking behemoths, and also gave a sense of how rare and precious they were. They introduced a vast and deep universe into which the players could delve deeper into, with great characters and heroic situations.

Now lets look at the computer gaming Mechwarrior crowd. They were introduced to the game by a computer simulation of a board game. Everything they know about Mech customization they learned in the Mechlab, free of charge, with full or limited flexibility... and with instant gratification. Anything they know about the history would be from what they learned in the computer world. If they got really interested in the game, the history and the lore, they had the option to buy the boxed set board game, a novel or three and a vast collection of supplementary source books.

Reading the message boards and seeing one of the dev team state bluntly that some of the people are really entrenched in their views of the game, I thought it would be enlightening to see how people view the above Q & A and to what degree they acknowledge the other side of the coin.

#2 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

For myself, I got into Battletech by reading the first Grey Death Legion novel. I bought the boxed set shortly after that. I was excited that the dev team wanted to stick close to canon, seeing as most every computer game before that went pretty much off canon with the Mech lab, weapon models, etc. I am influenced by my desire to see familiar weapon damage and range tables, armour values and Mech designs. Having said that, I understand that this is a combat simulation, so many things will need to change in order for the game to work, attract a rabid player base and grow. I am pretty happy with everything I have seen thus far, and thought that the Mechlab was a pretty nice compromise for both crowds… the canon TT and Mechwarrior aficionados alike.

#3 Calx

• Pip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

As a kid, mechwarrior 2 was one of the most important games to me until starcraft happened, but I continued to order miniatures and have my friend paint and assemble them so we could play tabletop. The novels made for great reading back then too, so I feel like I have a passable grip on battletech canon, but I am of the opinion that the game should adhere to canon, but not so well that it stifles flexibility. I'm more concerned with MW:O succeeding first and becoming as popular as it deserves to be. Basically, as long as the game doesn't turn into a story of star crossed lovers, between a freebirth and a clanner who ride into the sunset on the back of the McMech IIC, we're fine.

The cool part about sticking to the lore a good amount is it already gives you plenty to work with, and when you run out of stuff, you can skip down the timeline.

#4 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Your first introduction to Battletech was...
other - I played Mechcommander first, then read the novels, then started with the table top. Sometime after that, MW4 & MC2 came out. I also have some vague memories of playing MW3 with a friend, but I can't say when that was.

Does that introduction influence how you feel MW:O should work?
Yes. If I had gone another way, I think I would not care about the lore so much. I'm really glad I got into the TT before wizkids took over.

I consider myself to be...
moderate pro canon Battletech.

#5 Derick Cruisaire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 247 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

1.) I started playing Table-Top back in the eighties. :lol:

2.) I feel that MWO should follow the basic ideas behind Battletech. ie: heat management, ammo depletion, critical hits...etc.

3.) I think I am more middle of the road. Major canon events should be adhered to. But the universe should reflect the actions of the player base. So the method and/or timing of said major canon events could be altered but the event would take place none the less.

#6 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

My son got me started when he got one of the early BTTT boxed sets. I found the game interesting but really got hooked when I began to read his BT novels. I like the way that the universe was seen as a consistant whole with stories and characters mixing and intertwining. While there were and are inconsistant points, the whole presents a picture of a universe that can be understood and followed. It's not just big, huge metal cans bashing each other for no discernable reason. There is a human logic to what goes on. That is the element that makes BT/MW stand apart.

Edited by Seabear, 05 April 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#7 geck0 icaza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

I started out with MW4. I got hooked into the story and the lore. I read as many novels and Sources books I could to educate myself. After a long run I stopped playing because frankly the game no longer did it for me. I hate to sound like a snob but the books were better. I played MW2/3 but barely. I also played Mechcommander 1 barely but played mechcommander 2 a decent amount. I picked up Mechwarrior dark age for a little but stopped cause well lets be frank, it was crap. I liked where the story went (eventually, and after reading the wars of reeving) but the game was crap. And I finally started playing battletech a few years ago and fell in love. I don't think is the usual way people get into the universe but hey, it was a ride :lol: .

Given that, I know both sides of the coin I can honestly say that sticking close to the canon is a great move. Mechwarrior/battletech has always been a niche game. It doesn't fall into the fast glide, back flip, transformer, twitch shooter that other mech games have dabbled into. At its core battletech is very well balanced (with Battle value) and highly strategic. It stands out because of this, and I believe that sticking to the canon while highlight the strengths of the franchise.

#8 MostlyHarmless

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 138 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

My start came with the Infocom games and then the first MW but really that started me reading the books that filled in my knowledge base.

It is what I've learned of the universe since my introduction that most influences me and what I hope for in the game.

While I was brought in by way of the games I feel I was really schooled with the books. In truth I'm a fairly hardline pro canon but having experience with the games I understand that it is a fine line to walk trying to take the world and make it fun to play so I'm taking a moderate pro canon stance to hope for the best of it all. The games have been fun but I've always wanted a hardline sim "game" MW:O seems like the best chance of it yet.

#9 GrimFist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAlter-Ego - Death Watch Warship - Retribution - Ageis class (M)

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

I started playing the TT in the 89' when I was in the Marines to kill down time. Did that for 4 years plus college, Mech Warrior 2 was pretty cool. I fell in love with Mech Commander. My first league of sorts and the ladder matches were fun. The days of mplayer were cool for the day.

I have about 40 mech minatures and about 12 tanks, and several infrantry squads all collecting dust in a box.

I can don't mind reasonable changes where cannon does not make sense for game play balance and flow.

As for the mouse and click generation they can eat it, love it, be a mech warrior the way BT makes mech warriors or go play something else.

:)

Keep the Faith,

Semper Fi,

Grim

#10 shd0hwk

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

My first experience with BT was in 1984 (Now thinking that was nearly 30 years ago, can't recall if that was 83 or 84), when it was called Battledroids. Ran a Vulcan, and led some Kuritan troops into a hell of a trap, through woods (which I set on fire on my way through) to a lake, where my lance mate in an Awesome was hip deep in water...and another was in a Wolverine on one side, and if memory serves, the final lance mate was in a Marauder. IT was great, and got me addicted to BT. Been playing ever since.

Read the novels, up to Dark Age, and started playing MW in version 2, then 3, then AToW...so the oportunity to play it online was awesome, even with MegaMek...now, with this version coming out, I am stoked! IT will be interesting to see if someone can come up with some canon based story lines and plots, and have the Hiring Hall open for Mercs to join up...Outreach or Galatia anyone?

#11 Death Blossom

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostMostlyHarmless, on 06 April 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

My start came with the Infocom games and then the first MW but really that started me reading the books that filled in my knowledge base.

'Infocom presents The Crescent Hawks' Revenge'. Free from abandonia.com and dosbox. Still incredibly hard and very advanced for the time.

#12 wwiiogre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

1. Battle Droids then BattleTech first introduced at Pacificon way back. Some very old DOS games I don't even remember what the name was. Then full on campaigns long before books or even computer games. But I played them all. They lost me at Jihad and Dark Age for TT but lots of us old folks still like the golden age and with catalyst releasing the 25th anniversary box for table top with so much goodness for such a small price it has brought in a whole new era for the TT and hopefully with PGI doing MWO it will do the same for the computer.

2. All of life is experience and shapes how we all see everything around us. We are what we have experienced. So yeah how I came to know TT shapes how I see the game and the future of the game. In the end, each game is measured and weighed on its own merits. Everything I have seen PGI do on MWO to this point has been a brilliant blend of TT and Sim and compromise and keeping us the rabid fans informed and involved is just icing on the cake. And yes I want my cake and eat it too. So closed beta invite is expected in the email anytime :)

3. Stick to as much of canon as possible that switching from TT to Sim will allow and when you make a change explain it to the fans so we understand why and at what cost the decision was made. Like the way the Dev's explained lasers, will do full damage to what is known as TT range then diminish over time and distance from that point on. Not canon but makes sense to me. I am happy with how PGI is handling everything so far. I probably won't be fully satisfied, but no compromise every fully satisfies both sides. If it did it wouldn't be a compromise. So I keep hoping for the best. I have never followed a game in development this closely before and have never had as high expectations as well.

Keep up the good work PGI and take the time you need. Nothing worse than rushing out the gate with an unfinished product. Finish the base game, do it right. The rest will come.

chris

Edited by wwiiogre, 06 April 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#13 pursang

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

Oh, so now we're taking sides and drawing lines eh?

No thanks.

This poll and its mentality is what tears communities apart.

Edited by pursang, 07 April 2012 - 12:18 AM.

#14 Kid Weeb

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDundalk, MD

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

I was introduced to BT through the early novels. Instantly hooked me into a multi-decade long fascination/obsession with the BT universe. Then I found the TT set - hooked again (this time I brought some friends along for the ride). I have probably 100 or more miniatures and had some marathon TT games. I never really got into the computer games. However, MWO sounds and looks fantastic! I have all the BT novels, even including a few of the DA (which never really got me interested) and my sourcebook collection is very large. I believe that I have a pretty good grasp of the BT lore and am thrilled that the Devs are trying to keep true to the canon. There is so much information and scenarios from which to choose. I don't envy them making the hard decisions on which Mechs to include, but I do like the timeframe that was chosen.

3049 was a year of change for the BT universe. The IS just finished the war of 3039 where we are starting to see more widespread use of Lostech. Comstar is getting more actively involved with the Houses - especially the Draconis Combine. Then come the Clans! The IS will never be the same.

#15 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

Miniatures? Hah! How about paper cut-outs on maps that cost WAY more than my weekly allowance? Wait, I didn't have an allowance. My folks never believed kids were entitled to anything except food and running water. (We DID finally replace our rotary phone in 1994. We were still RENTING our old Western Electric phone from AT&T!) I think I still have those original maps memorized.

So, when you young fellers wonder what the big deal is with Phoenix Hawk LAMS, well, let me tell you.....

(come to think of it, you probably think LAMS are laser anti-missle systems. Waiter, get me another PPC, straight. I don't want none of that peppermint schnapps you Steinerkrauts put in it.)

Edited by Peiper, 07 April 2012 - 01:16 AM.

#16 Karel Spaten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHallam

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:18 AM

I started on the cartoon.

Don't judge me!

#17 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

It warms my heard to see the results of the third question in the pole. I've been playing MW4 for years, and someone recently told me they didn't have ammo explosions in that game. WHAT??? You mean, I've been making slow laserboats with max armor to avoid ammo-explosions for nothing? :)

#18 Kyral

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

I was introduced into Battletech by my father, who is a very great fan of the TT game and the books.
But while I enjoyed painting some minitures and playing with them on the board, I think I was still a little to young to grasp the whole concept of Battletech. But I liked the 'Mechs (My favourites being the Locust and the Battlemaster).

I got more into it later when was a little older, played MechWarrior and Crecent Hawk's Revenge for DOS and started reading all the books my father had.
I sticked more to the PC-games then the TT after that. The liking I took into the old 'Mechs (and especially the Unseen I grew up with) was also what made me a Macross and later anime fan in general.

Thinking about it. I really wish they add the Thunderbolt into the game. It was my father's signature 'Mech and I think it would be nice to "drive my father's old mech" into battle. xD

#19 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

My introduction was actually through TROs and source books, and quite a bit later the game.

#20 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

View PostKarel Spaten, on 07 April 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

I started on the cartoon.

Don't judge me!

Good thing I put down an 'other' option. I totally forgot about the cartoon shows. :)

@Pursang I'm interested to see where the divide is, not create one. In case you haven't noticed... there is a division when it comes to canon vs computer sim. I think the poll results are rather interesting thus far, but that is just me. I'm fairly new to message boards, so I have no ugly motive here.

Edited by StaggerCheck, 07 April 2012 - 09:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users