What are your top 3 tips for all players?

54 replies to this topic

#41 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

1. Always have a retreat option incase a significant force goes around behind you to capture your base or flank your rear units.

2. Stay near cover so you can hide from enemy LRMs after they have been launched.

3. If you can see 2 targets, and one of them is locked by a teammate (has a solid triangle over its head) and the other is not locked by anyone (has a hollow triangle over its head), then you should target-lock the one with the hollow triangle to show your team where it is, even if you decide to open fire on the other Mech that was already targeted by someone.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 06 November 2012 - 09:20 AM.

#42 Kivin

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

1. Don't give up. It's going to be frustrating. You're going to have inferior Trial 'Mechs, few or no friends, and an abundance of experienced and geared founders romping all over you. It sucks, but all is not lost...

... 2. Build Bridges. The game goes from a trial in frustration to sinister fun when you've got people who care about seeing you through the drop in one piece. Get Ventrilo and TeamSpeak installed, whether you have a microphone or not. Visit nogutsnogalaxy.net for teamspeak info to a public server which has active groups going at all times. Very beginner friendly.

3. Watch out for your team mates (even if they're PUGers). Today I was about to shout out for help in voice chat because my 'Mech was getting roasted. Two friendlies lept in front of me and ate the shots that were going to send me on the afterlife express. We won the match with no losses.

Runner ups:

You're tougher than you think. This is not a first-person shooter where you go down in a couple shots. You're in tens of tons of metal and polymer. If you're getting popped before you know what hit you, then you need to step back and diagnose why. Did you get air-striked by long range missiles? Did you go toe to toe with multiple bigger mechs?

If you're about to enter a situation that you aren't sure about, you should always have an exit plan. Even the lightest mechs can take an impressive amount of damage, as long as it's spread along multiple panels. Turning the damaged panels away from the source of the damage can give you much more longevity.

About to engage that 100 Tonne Atlas in your 80 Tonne trial Mech. Take a quick look around you. Learn where the city buildings or landscape will obstruct gunfire if you need to pull an about face. Break line of sight and keep it broken until you've successfully kited your prey in to a more compromising position: hopefully right smack in the middle of a bunch of friendlies.

Consider supporting PGI:​ After all, their livelihood depends on it, right? Besides, it makes your initial grind significantly less stressful. If money is tight, I recommend purchasing the minimum denomination of MC, a value of around $6.25 if I'm not mistaken. This entitles you to five or six days of "Premium Time." You can activate the premium time 24 hours at a time if you are going to be busy. While you're under the effect of premium time, you will earn 50% more C-Bills in game. This can cut down the time until you own your very own mech by ten hours or more.

Edited by Kivin, 06 November 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#43 Regina Redshift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 281 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

1. "If you see something, say something." Even from beyond the grave. I won our team a match while dead once because I saw a base capper that the pilot I was spectating didn't. On a related note, stay in the match 'til the end, you might learn something... or make some friends.

2. "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." If your team has a plan, go with it, even if you don't understand it or like it... even if that plan is just "stick together." Don't spend hours in the 'mech lab trying to shove that extra heat-sink in. Don't line up a headshot if you can hit the CT in 1/10th the time.

3. "Assume your enemy knows what they're doing." That 'mech that ran behind a hill was probably bait... even if he's an Atlas. That scout that just made a suicide run into your ranks is most likely spotting for LRM boats.

#44 Killerwithin

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

#1 most important as someone mentioned above use VOIP but do not DO NOT use C3 ugh no no instead use teamspeak. Goto this link http://mwomercs.com/...e-chat-servers/ the second post has the two best servers imo the EU one was the first one made available for MWO Closed Beta therefore would have the highest population. Do not simply drop by yourself your chance of survival will greatly decrease if you do so because more than likely you will drop vs a premade who will then rip you apart and you will cry then want to quit.

#2 DO NOT ALPHA STRIKE ALL THE TIME! Learn to setup your weapon groups with Right Ctrl(default) and the arrow keys(default). Use your arrow keys to move to different weapons then hit the right ctrl on the appropriate weapon group you wish to set. You do not want to set a small laser with a large laser then try to fire the large laser with the small laser to hit a target far away you are gaining unwanted heat because of that large laser. Best to have 3/4 weapon groups long medium close range and missiles. When using high heat weapons in a group that create way to much heat press BACKSPACE it will make that weapon group now chainfire you can tell because it will flash from top to bottom.

#3 Work together with your team! Do not run off alone! Never engage if you are alone for more enemies might swoop in for an easy kill! Do not chase the light he is a lure, you are a fish and they are the fishermen! Most of all have fun even if you lose horribly because you can't win all the time.

#45 Hollister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 321 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

I only really have one currently and that is to watch the NGNG MWO Tutorial http://www.youtube.c...d&v=mmtt6XiC3rA

#46 Supercakers

• PipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostRaso, on 03 November 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

• Chase the first Jenner you see. It's really fast and lightly armored so it makes for a nice and easy kill.
  • Spread out. You'll cover more ground if you spread your forces very thin.
  • Fortune favors the bold. Fire as often as possible and all the time. The faster you can spam alpha strikes the faster the other guy will drop.
If this doesn't turn you into the god king of Mech Warrior then you probably need more heat sinks and. Remove all of your armor and replace it with heat sinks and ammo. Even if you only use energy weapons hide some AC20 ammo in key locations through out your mech so you have more ammo than your opponent.

This is quite douchey, why bother making this useless post? I suppose you are one of the asshats who rats out the last person on your team that's hiding to save on repairs, or telling new people to hit Alt+F1-F4 to zoom or change vision modes etc.

#47 Trynn

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

(1) heat kills, watch your heat taking extra time between shots allows more aim and avoiding that dread heat shut down while standing in front of a angry Atlas. plan your shots with deliberation and care

(2) Dont be a hero: that results in dead Hero, Stick with the group and avoid chasing squirells (light mechs)

(3) find your comfort zone: IE your style, Are you a brawler, an LRM support or a kamakazi scout. Dont try to be somthing you are not as that leads to stress and unhappiness.

And for all that is holy, have fun out there

#48 WVAnonymous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

View Postbensphynx, on 03 November 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Be aware of the controls. Some of them are not re-definable:
backspace (toggle chain fire)
b (bring up the battlegrid [map])
arrow keys and right control (setting up weapon groupings)

Also I would suggest mapping next target to something handy. LRM's are much more fun when you can lock onto a target.

The right ctrl key is re-mappable, which is very important if your notebook computer does not have a right ctrl. Understand your keyboard before you launch.

#49 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

1.) Stick together. (I tend to follow the Atlas/Awesomes that are on my team to support them)
2.) Look at what the heavy hitters on your team are attacking, and shoot it as well.
3.) Use thermal vision and call out enemy locations before they come into targeting distance.

#50 Wispsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

1. Dodge hard.
2. Dodge harder.
3. Practice always with JJ they are awesome and incredible.

If you are a light :D

#51 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

1. Know where your team is.
2. Try to know where the enemy is, at worst know who is shotting at you.
3. Best defense is not being shot at, if you can shot and not be shot why do you feel compelled to move.

#52 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

1) Jumpjet hover turns (Jump briefly just to turn) can make even a sluggish catapult keep facing a strafing light mech.
2) Placing 2 SSRM2s on your mech with 1-2 tons ammo is usually enough to drive off light mech pilots if you have trouble hitting them.
3) You can always turn off Auto-rearm if your reload costs are too high. You will get 75% of your ammo back for free. You can compensate by adding an extra ton of ammo if you feel that you always run out.

#53 Elder Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

1. Calm down

2. Calm down, damn it

3. CALM THE **** DOWN YOU STUPID ****

#54 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

Been playing for a few months now.

Statistically, you are far better off sticking together with the group doing something stupid than you are going off and doing something smart all by yourself.

That's not a 100% guarantee. But it is true more than it is false.

#55 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

Focus fire on one target.
Don't stop or overheat.
Learn from others in every way possible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users