A Battletech based MMORPG

19 replies to this topic

Poll: Battletech RPG (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you want to see an MMORPG based on Battletech?

1. Yes, It would be nice to a see a Battletech MMORPG for a change. (46 votes [86.79%])

Percentage of vote: 86.79%

2. No, not really (7 votes [13.21%])

Percentage of vote: 13.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

The Mechwarrior games are fun and exiciting but after while it get stale and repetitive. In the games you're always just some guy who pilots a BattleMech. What about having an MMORPG based on the roleplaying and scenario elements of BattleTech? You could stay a Mechwarrior if you want or chose to be an Armor Crew, an Aerospace Pilot or a Technnician as one of your classes. Choosing your own origins like the Inner Sphere, Clans, Periphery or Mercenary. Imagine running around and getting into barfights with people or betting on Solaris Stables for money. You can even travel to different planets and see the atmosphere around you. The main purpose of this online RPG is to bring the BattleTech Universe to life.

Edited by Will9761, 23 July 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#2 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

"A time of war: online"? Not sure if want. I usually prefer my RPGs to be offline... with pen and paper...

Then again, some sort of "elder scrolls in space" might work.

Edited by Exilyth, 04 November 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#3 anonymous175

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Detroit: The RPG

#4 Digital Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

I'd welcome any mech MMO.

#5 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

I developed a 29-page MMORPG document for this in 2007, I think, and I still have it, though I would definitely want to re-write it before it could be used. If anyone's got the money, or can get a huge kickstarter going, I have the plan and I've been telling stories as a GM for 21 years, now, so I would go for a BattleTech, not MechWarrior, MMORPG in a heartbeat.

I think MWO is fantastic, it's a wonderful work, but I am, indeed, tired of only being able to play MechWarrior. I'm still not intending to return to this game unless I can get a name change.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 04 November 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#6 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

I would love to see this combined with mech warfare (essentially MWO with the RPG component).

#7 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

If there is one thing I could suggest, it should be an all voice mmo with cutscenes. Because the whole idea of reading text is an obsolete concept that's been done to death and it doesn't add any fun to the gameplay experience, it just makes it boring. The only exception is if your working making on mercenary contracts, missions(i.e quest), or. giving other information.

Edited by Will9761, 05 November 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#8 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostStormwolf, on 04 November 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

I would love to see this combined with mech warfare (essentially MWO with the RPG component).

That does sound awesome to make.

#9 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

On the one hand, fleshing out the BT universe and the other roles in it would be cool.

On the other hand, there are already plenty of MMORPGs where I can can role-play not being a mechwarrior...

#10 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Considering 9/10 MMOs are terrible, BattleTech's lore is insipid, contradictory and full of a million ******** tropes, and most companies attempting to make MMOs are just bad developers, I'd say

Hell no.

#11 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

While doing a normal way MMO might be difficult, I do have a suggestion that could even theoretically be based off this game, and even would let you run vehicles and such. The way scenario packs for TT work, you could have campaigns vs AI opponents, community random games could be run at maybe an 3 mission hour long campaign, or alternatively you could do private ones with the option to save them so you could do them across multiple days. Depending on how long and hard each mission is, you could institute no ammo refills between certain missions, or even no, or at least limited, armor repairs between them. I assume the Devs would have to set up them up, otherwise it would have to have text, not voice based story, the capaigns would be short (hour to 2 hours), medium (2-8 hours of play), or long (8 or longer) campaigns made up of as many matches as you want. I would guess that only short matches would be able to be done in quick play. You could even set what model of what mech with which modifications it has for every player to provide extra challenges.

#12 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

View Postdal10, on 05 November 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

While doing a normal way MMO might be difficult, I do have a suggestion that could even theoretically be based off this game, and even would let you run vehicles and such. The way scenario packs for TT work, you could have campaigns vs AI opponents, community random games could be run at maybe an 3 mission hour long campaign, or alternatively you could do private ones with the option to save them so you could do them across multiple days. Depending on how long and hard each mission is, you could institute no ammo refills between certain missions, or even no, or at least limited, armor repairs between them. I assume the Devs would have to set up them up, otherwise it would have to have text, not voice based story, the capaigns would be short (hour to 2 hours), medium (2-8 hours of play), or long (8 or longer) campaigns made up of as many matches as you want. I would guess that only short matches would be able to be done in quick play. You could even set what model of what mech with which modifications it has for every player to provide extra challenges.

You are right about the MMO part being difficult,but it is not impossible. When designing an MMORPG like this you have think long and hard about how the RPG elments of the books could be represented in the MMO parts. You should also be aware of the limitations that you have to think about while making the game like how many mechs, vehicles, factions, etc you should have.

You can make some good implementations like:
An Innovative Character Creation.
Fast Traveling to accepted destinations or quests
Combat for quest can have mechwarrior styled gameplay.
Additional rewards like salvage.

Edited by Will9761, 10 November 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#13 mikewalker11

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationwherever i am

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

i play a game called mechquest, an adventurequest style game with battletech-ish mechs and weapons.

#14 Icebound

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

As long as the combat isn't who can memorize the most efficient way to mash their number keys. I will never play a game like that again.
I wish they would just add a chat lobby like Global Agenda's into this game, where you can walk around/shop/talk and freely join games from the menu like always instead of being permanently stuck in the mechlab or a battle.

#15 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationMWO is still incomplete, after YEARS!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

MMORPG set in the BattleTech universe...yes, please.

-Irish

#16 FullMetalJackass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostIcebound, on 11 November 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

As long as the combat isn't who can memorize the most efficient way to mash their number keys. I will never play a game like that again.
I wish they would just add a chat lobby like Global Agenda's into this game, where you can walk around/shop/talk and freely join games from the menu like always instead of being permanently stuck in the mechlab or a battle.

Love this idea. Something to pull you into the game a bit more

#17 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

I would like to see different storylines based on the faction you choose.

#18 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

necro much?

#19 Ulrik_

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 11:20 AM

i know that topic is really old but i find it just now.
Maybe more people will notice it and vote and say her own?

#20 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 10 September 2021 - 01:11 AM

MECHWARRIOR was originally a pen and paper RPG from FASA, someone could easily base an MMORPG off of that. My gaming group used to use the MECHWARRIOR rules for when our Mechwarriors were out of their cockpits and then we uses BATTLETECH rules for when our Mechwarriors were in their Mechs. We had some pretty fun campaigns.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users