Pinpoint elite skill

11 replies to this topic

#1 HavocReign

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

The pinpoint elite skill indicates my weapons will converge 15% faster...except it seems like my weapons converge immediately already.

is there any known benefit to this skill? am I missing the convergence somewhere?

#2 Jack Corvus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

Are you piloting a heavy or assault mech, or a mech that mostly fights at extreme distances (point blank or across the map)? In light and medium mechs you can easily swing your arms around fast enough that convergence does take some time (edit: it takes time in all mechs, really, if you swing your arms around - but if you tend to fight super close or super far away, you might not be taking advantage of just how far your arms can move and thus not waiting for convergence).

Edited by Jack Corvus, 04 November 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#3 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

What mech and weapons are you using? And where are they mounted?

I thought convergence referred to how fast your torso + catches up to your arms O

If your weapons are all in your arms than the "convergence" is instant. Same deal if you have locked arms and all torso weapons.

#4 Alture White

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, El Dorado, Crucis March

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, if you've ever ran a stock Atlas you'll realize that it takes a noticable amount of time for your AC/20 (or any torso ballistic) to line up it's shots with your arm mounted energy weapons. The aiming reticule moves as fast as your mouse (or joystick), but the actual weapon in-game doesn't automatically fire where your aiming; it takes an increasingly larger fraction of a second for larger weapons to converge on your reticule.

#5 HavocReign

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Explanations provided make sense. I was looking at my lasers thinking they are already converged! But chest catching up to arms/ballistics etc makes sense.

Thanks for the info!

#6 Lord Jay

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 97 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostSug, on 04 November 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

I thought convergence referred to how fast your torso + catches up to your arms O

This is a common misconception.

Convergence is when you fire from two points (like right and left arms) and the weapons adjust so that the rounds will hit the same point on your target at range. On WW2 era planes that had the weapons in both wings, the weapons would be set so that the rounds cross at 300-400 meters. This was fixed convergence and set the optimal firing distance.

In MW:O you can engage at various ranges so the weapons must converge dynamically. Pinpoint adjusts the time it takes for your guns to dynamically adjust to your targets distance so that all your shots hit the same point under the reticle.

Dynamic convergence happens fast in MW:O so it may seem instant but it is there.

Unfortunately since it uses the reticle, convergence is a bit broken for ballistics in MW:O. Because with ballistics you need to lead your shots you are not actually aiming at your target when you fire. So your guns set convergence range for the ground behind your target instead of what you actually want to hit.

Edited by Lord Jay, 05 November 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#7 Aao

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Lord Jay for clearing that up. I've been trying to figure this one out for some time.

#8 ElLocoMarko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostLord Jay, on 05 November 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

Unfortunately since it uses the reticle, convergence is a bit broken for ballistics in MW:O. Because with ballistics you need to lead your shots you are not actually aiming at your target when you fire. So your guns set convergence range for the ground behind your target instead of what you actually want to hit.

Ohhhhhh.... this is why I perceived the Dragon-5N to be fine and the CTF-4X to be unworkably broken. The dragon has all three ballistics in the same arm... If you get the feel for the lead, then you get all your hits. With the 4X, a nearby target is almost impossible to hit with left and right side shells because your guns are converging on that rock 1500m across the bay.

This explains so much fail that I thought was just me...

#9 Postumus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostElLocoMarko, on 23 January 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Ohhhhhh.... this is why I perceived the Dragon-5N to be fine and the CTF-4X to be unworkably broken. The dragon has all three ballistics in the same arm... If you get the feel for the lead, then you get all your hits. With the 4X, a nearby target is almost impossible to hit with left and right side shells because your guns are converging on that rock 1500m across the bay.

This explains so much fail that I thought was just me...

Not exactly? I believe that convergence still affects single arm mounted ballistics, but I could be wrong. It seems to me that when you shoot ballistics with a lead, if your target is much closer than where your reticle is pointing that your shots tend not to go where you want them to. Compare two situations, try it yourself:

1. Shooting a UAC/5 at a moving target 500 meters away, while aiming down and leading to a point about 20 to 50 meters beyond.

2. Shooting a UAC/5 at a moving target that is 90-150 meters away, while aiming straight out and leading to a point in the far background.

I'll take the long shot any day of the week, which is sad with a brawler weapon. It could just be the effects of speed, but it seems to me that even with a single arm mounted ballistic weapon, unless your cursor is on the target or at a point that is reasonably near in terms of linear distance, the ballistic gets squirrely.

#10 Torage

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Does this apply to SRMs? I noticed that sometimes my SRMs will all focus in on one point and some times its like buck shot.

#11 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostTorage, on 09 February 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

Does this apply to SRMs? I noticed that sometimes my SRMs will all focus in on one point and some times its like buck shot.

nope, that is spread. spread is random, though artemis helps if you are pointed at an enemy with srms.

the convergence skill does basically nothing. it is very useless, but the entire skill tree is something they're going to re-vamp anyway, so nobody is too concerned right now.

#12 Torage

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

That is good to hear. I hope they make separate trees for the different weight classes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users