6 replies to this topic

#1 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

I'm not sure if I'm observing this correctly but some times it seems like different mechs have a higher heat tolerance than others. I recall hearing that the number of heatsinks adds to your total coolant levels but do some mechs have more by default than others?

#2 Infavol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

coolant? you do know what coolant is right? anyway, some mechs weigh more than others, which means some can carry more heatsinks than others

#3 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

It depends pretty much purely on the number of heat sinks you have (disregarding the DHS bug that's getting a "fix" on tuesday).

Basically mechs have a heat dissipation rate equal to .1 heat per second, times the number of heat sinks, and they have a heat cap equal to 30 plus the number of heat sinks (SHS only).

So, for example, a AWS-8Q has 28 heat sinks, so its heat capacity is 58, and it dissipates 2.8 heat per second.

#4 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

View PostInfavol, on 04 November 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

coolant? you do know what coolant is right? anyway, some mechs weigh more than others, which means some can carry more heatsinks than others

Coolant, Heat Capacity, whatever. I always called it coolant since in the video games your heat levels were measured on your coolant gauge.

View PostLefty Lucy, on 04 November 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

It depends pretty much purely on the number of heat sinks you have (disregarding the DHS bug that's getting a "fix" on tuesday).

Basically mechs have a heat dissipation rate equal to .1 heat per second, times the number of heat sinks, and they have a heat cap equal to 30 plus the number of heat sinks (SHS only).

So, for example, a AWS-8Q has 28 heat sinks, so its heat capacity is 58, and it dissipates 2.8 heat per second.

So it is the same for each mech until you factor in heat sinks. Ok, I wasn't really sure.

Also, this bug you mentioned. Are you saying that as of now double heat sinks don't add to your heat capacity?

#5 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

Until Tuesday, any DHS included inside the engine of any engine rated up to 250 only work as SHS. Any DHS you include outside of the engine, or in the engine HS slots of 275+ rated engines work correctly.

After Tuesday, all DHS give a dissipation rate of .14 heat per second, regardless of their location.

#6 Thikron

Rookie

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

Coolant and Heat capacity are two different things. Coolant is responsible to drop the amount of heat. The capacity is the same for every tonnage. Well at least in the TT. You can only change the capacity (the threshold where your engine shots down) through the pilot skill tree.

Every engine provides 10 HS. At 275+ engine all HS are inside the engine. For lower engines there is not enough space for the HS so they will take a normal slot.

And just to mention it: Always check after changing the engine in the mech lab or ensure everytime you configured your mech that you have at least 10 HS. Otherwise you cannot enter a match. There is no warning atm. :lol:

#7 Infavol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

I think you mean cooling? Coolant is an liquid that runs through things to keep them cool,but yeah,what they said

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users